Prev_page Previous 1
What's Your Alignment? 12/07/2011 06:04 PM CST
I'm not sure if this has been done before, but...

Using D&D's alignment system, what alignment would you place your primary character as? I think Leilond's would be True Neutral, with some Neutral Good thrown in from time to time.

The tables below list the various alignment definitions for D&D 3rd Edition.

A character's or creature's general moral and personal attitudes are represented by its alignment: lawful good, neutral good, chaotic good, lawful neutral, neutral, chaotic neutral, lawful evil, neutral evil, and chaotic evil.

Good vs. Evil
Good characters and creatures protect innocent life. Evil characters and creatures debase or destroy innocent life, whether for fun or profit.
"Good" Implies altruism, respect for life, and a concern for the dignity of sentient beings. Some good characters make personal sacrifices to help others whenever possible.
"Evil" Implies hurting, oppressing, and killing others. Some evil creatures simply have no compassion for others and kill without qualms if doing so is convenient. Others actively pursue evil, killing for sport or out of duty to some evil deity or master.
"Neutral" Implies personal concerns and commitment. People who are neutral with respect to good and evil can have compunctions against killing the innocent but lack the commitment to make sacrifices to protect or help others. On the other hand, they can have no compunctions about injuring others for personal gain, but won't go out of their way to cause pain or despair. Neutral people are committed to others by personal relationships. A neutral person may sacrifice himself to protect his family or even his homeland, but he would not do so for strangers who are not related to him. Animals and other creatures incapable of moral action are neutral rather than good or evil.

Law and Chaos
Lawful characters tell the truth, keep their word, respect authority, honor tradition, and judge those who fall short of their duties. Chaotic characters follow their consciences, resent being told what to do, favor new ideas over tradition, and do what they promise if they feel like it.
"Law" implies honor, trustworthiness, obedience to authority, and reliability. On the downside, lawfulness can include close-mindedness, reactionary adherence to tradition, and a lack of adaptability.
"Chaos" implies freedom, adaptability, and flexibility. On the downside, chaos can include recklessness, resentment toward legitimate authority, arbitrary actions, and irresponsibility. P eople who are neutral with respect to law and chaos have a normal respect for authority and feel neither a compulsion to obey nor to rebel. They are honest, but can be tempted into lying or deceiving others.
Animals and other creatures incapable of moral action are neutral.

The Alignments
Lawful Good "Crusader" A lawful good character acts as a good character is expected or required to act. She combines a commitment to oppose evil with the discipline to fight relentlessly. She tells the truth, keeps her word, helps those in need and speaks out against injustice. Keep in mind that each character is different. Perhaps the law and justice your character upholds allows for murder or slavery under the right conditions. Her concept of law and goodness is dependent on the society she comes from.
Neutral Good "Benefactor" A neutral good character does the best that a good person can do. He is devoted to helping others even if it means bending the rules from time to time. Be it feeding the poor or hiding an escaped slave. A cleric that helps people based on their needs is neutral good.
Chaotic Good "Rebel" A chaotic good character acts as his conscience directs him with little regard for what other expect of him. He makes his own way, but he's kind and benevolent. He believes in goodness and right but has little use for laws and regulations. he hates it when people try to intimidate others and tell them what to do. he follows his own moral compass which, although good, may not agree with that of society. A rogue who loves to steal from the market place, but uses the money to feed the poor, is chaotic good.
Lawful Neutral "Judge" A lawful neutral character acts as law, tradition, or a personal code directs her. Order and organization are paramount to her. She may believe in personal order and live by a code or standard, or she my believe in order for all and favor a strong, organized government. A monk who follows her discipline without being swayed by the demands of those in need or by the temptations of evil, is lawful neutral.
Neutral "Undecided" A neutral character does what seems to be a good idea. She doesn't feel strongly one way or the other when it comes to good vs. evil or law vs. chaos. Most neutrality is a lack of conviction or bias rather than a commitment to neutrality. Such a character thinks of good as better than evil. After all, she would rather have good neighbors and rulers than evil ones. Still, she's not personally committed to upholding good in any abstract or universal way.A wizard who devotes herself to her art and is bored by the semantics of moral debate, is neutral Some neutral characters, on the other hand, commit themselves philosophically to neutrality. They see good, evil, law, and chaos as prejudices and dangerous extremes. They advocate the middle way of neutrality as the best, most balanced road in the long run. A Druid committed to preserving the balance nature is neutral. The common phrase for neutral is "True neutral"
Chaotic Neutral "Free Spirit" A chaotic neutral character follows his whims. he is an individualist first and last. He values his own liberty but doesn't strive to protect others' freedom. He avoids authority, resents restrictions, and challenges traditions. The chaotic neutral character does not intentionally disrupt organizations as part of a campaign of anarchy. To do so, he would have to be motivated either by good (and a desire to liberate others) or evil (and a desire to make those different from himself suffer). A bard who wanders the land living by his wits, is chaotic neutral. Remember that the chaotic neutral character may be unpredictable, but his behavior is not totally random. He is not as likely to jump off a bridge as to cross it.
Lawful Evil "Dominator" A lawful evil villain methodically takes what he wants within the limits of his code of conduct without regard to whom it hurts. He cares about tradition, loyalty, and order, but not about freedom, dignity, or life. He plays by the rules, but without mercy or compassion. He is comfortable in a hierarchy and would like to rule, but he is willing to serve. He condemns others not according to their actions but according to race, religion, homeland, or social rank. He is loath to break laws or promises. This reluctance is partly because of his nature and partly because he depends on order to protect himself from those who oppose him on moral grounds. Some lawful evil villains have particular taboos, such as not killing in cold blood (but having underlings do it) or not letting children come to harm (if it can be helped). They imagine that these compunctions put them above unprincipled villains. The scheming baron who expands his power and exploits his people is lawful evil. Some lawful evil people and creatures are committed to evil with a zeal like that of a crusader committed to good. Beyond being willing to hurt others for their own ends, they take pleasure in spreading evil as an end unto itself. they may also see doing evil as part of a duty to an evil deity or master.
Neutral Evil "Malefactor" A neutral evil villain does whatever she can get away with. She is out for herself, pure and simple. She sheds no tears for those she kills, whether for profit, sport, or convenience. She has no love of order and holds no illusion that following laws, traditions, or codes would maker her any better or more noble. On the other hand, she doesn't have the restless nature or love of conflict that a chaotic evil villain has. The criminal who robs and murders to get what she wants is neutral evil.
Chaotic Evil "Destroyer" A chaotic evil character does whatever his greed, hatred, and lust for destruction drive him to do. He is hot-tempered, vicious, arbitrarily violent, and unpredictable. If simply out for whatever he can get, he is ruthless and brutal. If he is committed to the spread of evil and chaos, he is even worse. Thankfully, his plans are haphazard, and any groups he joins or forms are poorly organized. Typically, chaotic evil people can only be made to work together by force, and their leader lasts only as long as he can thwart attempts to topple or assassinate him. The demented sorcerer pursuing mad schemes of vengeance and havoc is chaotic evil.

~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/07/2011 08:27 PM CST
I am Lawful Good. I always have been. I can't seem to ever play an evil character.

Dierik

To be fair, I've always privately characterized Burn as an orbital death laser. Armifer
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/07/2011 09:38 PM CST
I would put Caraamon at Neutral Good.

He has a healthy respect for law and order, but doesn't particularly feel bound by any rules he didn't voluntarily agree to.

And he's generally a fairly nice guy.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/07/2011 09:47 PM CST
i would venture that my main character is most probably lawful evil. She doesn't "see" what she is doing as "evil", she thinks what she is doing is to benefit society and "sentient-kind" as a whole, when in reality, necromancy is definately harmful to life. I think that would most likely describe most of the philosophers of the knife.

Preces meae non sunt dignae;Sed tu bonus fac benigne;Ne perenni cremer igne [Dies Irae]
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/07/2011 10:35 PM CST
I'm more of neutral. Pendus goes by what he thinks is right and logical, regardless of whether it's considered evil or good.
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/07/2011 10:35 PM CST
I imagine Deretis as Chaotic Good to Chaotic Neutral. I've always found it difficult to truly nail a character to a specific mold and hold to it. Situations and feelings vary too much.

Deadly Deretis Desitus, Blademaster of Ratha
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/07/2011 10:59 PM CST
I would love to develop and play a true Lawful Evil character, which I believe is the hardest personality to play well. Madigan is LG as strictly as I can roleplay him that way. Cool thread.

Madigan
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/08/2011 02:27 AM CST
Silvwyn was originally chaotic neutral. I always intended for her to choose a side, but which one and when I left up to the things that happened in her life. Eventually, a series of events culminated in her being literally forced to make a choice, rather than slowly leaning to one side or the other - follow the people she's always known and forsake the unknown/unlawful, or follow a new and exciting love and her quest for forbidden knowledge. She chose love and knowledge, and was introduced to a shadier side of the world, leading to her downfall and eventual change to neutral evil. With her family settling in Crossing and making a silent bid for power, she's becoming more lawful evil these days, as she strives to control/protect her beloved Zoluren.

There are times when I miss the people from the neutral days, but I wouldn't change a thing if given a chance. I've had a blast, and have taken part in some great and interesting events. Plus after over a decade of playing good guys, breaking free from the norm and trying something different has renewed my love for the game. Before this, I never stayed longer than a few months before disappearing for long periods of time. Now, I've been back for almost 4 continuous years and don't plan on going anywhere.
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/08/2011 04:29 AM CST
Fizzickle is true Neutral. I don't pay much attention to what other people think of as good or evil, law or chaos. It's all about self.

________________________________________________________________________________

We've decided that instead of spells Paladins will be a new arm of the Bard guild utilizing interpretive dance moves.

~GM Zeyurn
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/08/2011 09:06 AM CST
Ogdaro is basically a walking id, which fits him pretty solidly into Chaotic Evil. On his "better days" he can at times swing toward Neutral Evil.

Ogdaro
"Take chances and see what you can get away with, it only costs you a favor or two if you mess up." -Issus
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/08/2011 10:27 AM CST

Dern Darkie's a chaotic good dern boy scout

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing".
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/08/2011 02:24 PM CST
Sarkranis is true neutral with evil tendencies. She is primarily driven by her own self-interest.

"PHA = Healer Union. They charge for healing based on your injuries. We will now pause while everyone gives their opinion on this." -- Teilan
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/08/2011 02:35 PM CST
I like to think of Blaayd as Chaotic Good, it is the one that really fits the best for him. Don't feel bad Dark, we can be CG buddies! :P
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/08/2011 03:43 PM CST
Ventuul is probably closest to Lawful Neutral but really I don't think S'kra Mur code of ethics fits well into any alignment system. Never been a big fan of alignments myself.
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/08/2011 04:34 PM CST
I would not have thought it at first blush, but reading through the definitions/categories provided, Lomelinde would definitely fall under Lawful Evil.

Fun topic.

Lomelinde, Player of
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/08/2011 05:34 PM CST
I think Nith would probably fall on the line between chaotic good and neutral good but maybe a little closer to chaotic.

--
Player of Leech Farmer Nithhogr
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/08/2011 06:04 PM CST

Osus would have to be Neutral Evil with a penchant for throwing in the random day of Chaotic Evil when the favor count is high enough of the boredom has reached critical mass.
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/08/2011 06:19 PM CST
It's weird, but I think a heck of a lot of Society in RL tends toward Lawful Evil. Sad...

Anyways, I have a hard time with alignment systems. I would guess that most of my characters lean toward Choatic Good, but like to 'play' within the confines of Law (by play I mean, they follow the rules of the Organization, Government, or gods that are part of their life).

Oh, and one of my character's is probably very strongly Lawful Evil, after re-reading it. I would think that almost hits that character on the head perfectly, but he'd dodge it.

I have a few characters that I have lost touch with so much, that they're actions sometimes seem more like they are just my main... I really should write up background for them, and have goals, and maybe even try to define an alignment for them. So if something were to come up, I could play them as their own selves.

Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/08/2011 07:19 PM CST
All I'm going to say about Eyuve is that I asked two people who know her quite well to guess at her alignment, and the answers I got were "Lawful Neutral" and "Chaotic Good."

I'm pretty pleased with that result.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/08/2011 07:23 PM CST
Drexella has always been more lawful neutral according to those descriptions. I'd say her alignment is drifting now but not sure to where yet.

===
Oleveir says, "One must be careful around the angry ODS women."
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/08/2011 08:18 PM CST
Serchah is Chaotic Evil. No real surprise there.

-Serc

""It's a hell of a thing, killing some text. Take away all the numbers and letters and punctuation it's got, and all the numbers and letters and punctuation it's ever gonna have." -- Clint Eastwood, Unforgiven."-- Bahb.
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/09/2011 12:40 AM CST
>>Ventuul is probably closest to Lawful Neutral but really I don't think S'kra Mur code of ethics fits well into any alignment system. Never been a big fan of alignments myself.

>>It's weird, but I think a heck of a lot of Society in RL tends toward Lawful Evil. Sad...

>>Anyways, I have a hard time with alignment systems. I would guess that most of my characters lean toward Choatic Good, but like to 'play' within the confines of Law (by play I mean, they follow the rules of the Organization, Government, or gods that are part of their life).

I'm running a D&D 3.5 game right now where I made it a point to not throw away the Alignment system, which is what usually happens with my friends, and instead elaborate on it to the point where all the rules based stuff was still there (which is generally not terrible) but at the same time it felt congruent with human behavior.

I'm not sure if I hit the mark, but the four elaborations I found necessary were:

1) Flat out, Alignment is the result of behavior, it is not the cause of behavior. There is no such thing as a Lawful Good Human, there are Humans who choose to behave in a Lawful Good manner. Sapient creatures have no natural alignment tendency, but instead have the quality Agentive (which can be used as a type for purposes of creating supernatural effects, such as 'Detect Agency'). Magical creations, Abominations, creatures from the Outer Planes, and other sundry freaks of nature are exempt from this and may be non-agentive sapients.

2) Alignments are cosmological forces in the universe which have a correlative, not absolute, relation with behavior. Something is Good because it resonates with the cosmological force called Good, not because it is morally laudable. A popular example in D&D is using poison. Poison in D&D is unquestionably Evil, even though you can make plenty of arguments where it'd be justified or even merciful. The gods have decreed poison is Evil, and so it is.

The take home here is that Alignment is not an absolute measure of behavior. Someone can be Evil for doing cosmologically Evil but morally justifiable acts, and visa versa with Good. Detect Evil is not an Eliminate Intrigue button.

3) Alignments can be confounded by the environment. If you are around a lot of Evil, or Law, or what have you, it can "rub off" on you and even create a buffer between moral action and Alignment change. This is especially relevant for Divine spellcasters, which tend to be steeped in Alignment-oriented magical effects pretty continually.

4) Supernatural effects and in particular gods care about and react to Alignment, not actual behavior. Moral intention is not quantifiable by supernatural means, and either the gods can't do it or they don't very much care.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/09/2011 05:02 AM CST
Excellent Armifer. When I DM, that's the way I view alignments. Much to the chagrin of many a paladin who lost their abilities...

________________________________________________________________________________

We've decided that instead of spells Paladins will be a new arm of the Bard guild utilizing interpretive dance moves.

~GM Zeyurn
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/09/2011 07:04 AM CST
Just for reference, this is why Paladins had their alignment restrictions loosened (in 3.5) and then finally removed (in 4); it was impossible to play a Paladin through an entire campaign and keep the Paladin skill set (often due in no part to the actual Paladin's actions, just his inability to prevent the rest of the party from breaking their Code)... and the only thing worse than a Fighter is a powerless Paladin.
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/09/2011 04:51 PM CST
Since we're talking about all these Outer Beings, and Magical things, and Alignments, and Paladins have swung into play.

Could (In DragonRealms) a Fae be a Paladin (not asking if a PC can be a Fae, no in the realm of concepts); could this be plausible?

Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/09/2011 05:28 PM CST
There will be vagueness in this answer because of Plot stuff.

Paladins are not the only rendition of the "righteous warrior" archetype on Elanthia, and being a righteous warrior does not automatically make you a Paladin. Paladinhood has a specific spiritual meaning that developed in a specific historical context that would be weird to see outside of Kermorian mortals.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/09/2011 08:48 PM CST
I'd have to put Mordibar somewhere between Neutral and Lawful Good.
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/09/2011 10:26 PM CST
So hypothetically speaking if there were to be a fae, and it/she/he was a 'holy virtous warrior' or what not, or to put it another way, this fae had a blessed/holy/sanctified weapon, then what would they be...

Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/10/2011 02:59 AM CST
I would place Syn at somewhere between Chaotic Good and Chaotic Neutral most of the time. Capricious is the best way to describe her I think.

I actually rolled up a S'kra Mur Paladin a couple of weeks ago who is kitted out in Dragon Priest Zealot armour with the intention of him being a DP holy warrior, and it's difficult to pin an alignment on such a character, as under their value system I see a Paladin as a justifiable profession, just not in keeping with the 'Goode Sir Knighte' persona characterised by many Paladin NPCs and literature in DR.

From the wiki, on dealing with servants of the Dragon:

>First, respect is key, both for them and you. The former will in all likelihood raise their suspicions, since they are used to dealing with those who speak through swordplay--do not expect to be immediately welcomed with open arms. The latter is absolutely necessary if they are to think of you as a person of any worth--these are creatures of great pride, and as such, they find high self-esteem to be a positive character trait.

>Be civilized! These are not your grandfather's bloodthirsty fanatics. They respond in kind to the manners of those who approach them. Violence begets violence, and a lack of violence begets the same.
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/10/2011 05:53 AM CST
<<I actually rolled up a S'kra Mur Paladin a couple of weeks ago who is kitted out in Dragon Priest Zealot armour with the intention of him being a DP holy warrior, and it's difficult to pin an alignment on such a character>>

If you align him according to traditional S'Kra values, this would not have to conform to the stereotypical Paladin values, but rather to historical S'kra tradition. Hopefully the paladins will be coming up with some interesting RP events "soon". <probably not until everything 3.0 is put into place... but hopefully thereafter>

Taghz has done a remarkable job in that area, he is an inspiration to many.

Preces meae non sunt dignae;Sed tu bonus fac benigne;Ne perenni cremer igne [Dies Irae]
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/10/2011 05:55 PM CST
I've always ran Leucius as lawfull good but since involving him in the Ilithi political scene that seems to flex a little. He's sometimes privy to and or even does things he isn't comfortable with but he doesn't balk much. I suppose that would be the lawfull side kicking in.

Leucius

Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/11/2011 06:37 PM CST
I play Farluk as a mountain elf, and some view mountain elves as "perhaps the most political and devious of the Elves". With this background I play a character that has tried to cut his ties to politics. I also try to rise above being devious.

I consider being political and devious as being chaotic evil. A true trouble maker set out to start wars. My desire to be lawful good makes me neutral, but only because I fail to achieve lawful good.

You're a moon mage: death should come as no surprise.
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/11/2011 07:36 PM CST
Malkien is neutral handsome.
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/12/2011 09:35 PM CST

Smashytooth is chaotic neutral Drunk.
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/13/2011 10:32 AM CST
Broichan is somewhere between chaotic good and chaotic neutral. He's mainly concerned with meeting people and hearing their stories and traveling about to explore the world, not so much change it. He hasn't come across many situations where he's run up against society's constraints and generally hasn't hand many problems with others except those that are of some evil alignment anyway. And personal honor is more valuable to him that adhering to what others think he should do anyway, which applies equally well as a measure of how he judges others.

-Broichan Leshyahen

> hum tuneless
You hum a tuneless tune.
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/13/2011 11:31 AM CST
Some very interesting and diverse alignments and perspectives--Thanks for sharing!

~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/13/2011 05:18 PM CST
I'm Chaotic Toad.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/13/2011 06:00 PM CST
>I'm Chaotic Toad.

Leilond,

Is that an exotic one, that's listed in one of the amendments of the game? So expansion set or something?

Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/16/2011 03:05 AM CST
Inauri is very much Chaotic Evil though she often shifts towards Chaotic Neutral depending on what sort of drugs she's on at the time. :|

---
Inauri
Re: What's Your Alignment? 12/16/2011 05:57 PM CST
I would have to say Craetos falls in the scope of chaotic good for the most part
Prev_page Previous 1