Prev_page Previous 1
Famous Rangers 03/25/2008 09:54 PM CDT
Who do you think are some famous examples of Rangers throughout fiction/non-fiction literature? Just a fun topic, but I thought that maybe if someone says, "Legolas" someone else would think "Oh wow you know what would be fun, being able to shoot two arrows at once! That's totally Rangery!"

Just trying to get ideas flowing.

For me, some people I would consider to be Rangers:

Solid Snake - Metal Gear Solid
Legolas - Lord of the Rings
Drizzt Do'Urden - Forgotten Realms
John Rambo - Rambo films
Beastmaster - Beastmaster films

-Teeklin
Re: Famous Rangers 03/25/2008 10:28 PM CDT
Snake Bliskin-Escape from New York-LA

Allanon- Sword of Shanara

Arctuniol- Dragonrealms

Arctuniol

Knowledge is like manure, it's only good when spread.
Re: Famous Rangers 03/25/2008 10:49 PM CDT
Crocodile Dundee comes to mind.
Re: Famous Rangers 03/25/2008 11:10 PM CDT
Aragorn.

Master Craftsman Thryntyrlz BagMaker steps out from under Caelfind's road-worn traveler's cloak.

Tvini gets a Nilerbone brain from inside her canvas sack.
Tvini pokes her Nilerbone brain.
Nilerbone sneezes!
Re: Famous Rangers 03/26/2008 12:08 AM CDT
>John Rambo - Rambo films

i just got back bout an hour ago from seein rambo in the cheepie theaters round my house. .99 cents to get in. cant beat that. he certainly kicked some ass.

~Artilius
Re: Famous Rangers 03/26/2008 02:26 AM CDT
Roland - Dark Tower
Wolverine - duh?
Shane - Shane
Major Alan "Dutch" Schaefer - Predator
and pecos bill

~
With a soft creak of hinges the iron door opens, and a small group of armed Elotheans march in. One of them looks around until he sees you and says, "It is time for judgment, Alexii." Silently, they haul you to your feet and march you out.
Re: Famous Rangers 03/26/2008 07:35 AM CDT
Um, Robin Hood - didnt he invent the ranger archetype?
Re: Famous Rangers 03/26/2008 07:58 AM CDT
Raven from The Black Company

there's more but i can't think of them right now

-Vision et al

Also, I can shoot bees.
Re: Famous Rangers 03/26/2008 08:59 AM CDT
MacGyver.

I win.

-Rmel
________
The ladies would love it if I shape shifted into a bear while we were making sweet sweet love. That benefit alone would make shape shifting worth it.

-Mvorn
Re: Famous Rangers 03/26/2008 09:47 AM CDT
Riddick - Chronicles of Riddick
Re: Famous Rangers 03/26/2008 09:53 AM CDT
I would also like to nominate Clyde from Army of Two as a Ranger. Dropping in behind enemy lines, and did you see what he did to those snipers in that nest with his bare hands? That's what I'm talking about Ranger close combat baby.

Solid Snake is going to be the best Ranger example that you can come up with...especially in his most recent outing in Snake Eater. However what he does with a tranq gun, we do with a well placed snipe.

-Teeklin
Re: Famous Rangers 03/26/2008 02:28 PM CDT
The rangers Jalika identifies with....

Robin Hood (duh), the brothers from Boon Dock Saints, Slavomir Rawicz (check out his book, The Long Walk: The True Story of a Trek to Freedom), my cat, Two Rivers folk (WOT). Oh, and Ragran.

Jal
Re: Famous Rangers 03/26/2008 03:36 PM CDT
Hawk-Eye - Last of the Mohicans by J.F. Cooper.

Sam Gribley - My Side of the Mountain by J. C. George

mfberg
Re: Famous Rangers 03/26/2008 03:48 PM CDT
Ren (Forgotten Realms, Pool of Radiance/Pool of Darkness/Pool of Twilight). Drizz't Do'Urden. Aragorn. Tarzan/George of the Jungle. Mowgli. Anthony Hopkins's character in the movie Instinct. Grizzly Adams. Daniel Boone. Johnny Appleseed. Sacagawea/Lewis and Clark. Dr. Doolittle (he was a naturalist, after all), Charles Darwin, Dr. Livingston, Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt (he was a a Rough Rider, part of a group that later became the Army Rangers elite force). Stephen F. Austin (founder of the Texas Rangers). Cordell Walker (a Chuck Norris character). Jane Goodall.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Famous Rangers 03/26/2008 03:53 PM CDT
Man, where's the history lessons these days....

Buffalo Bill
James Bowie
Davy Crocket
Daniel Boone
Kit Carson
Wyatt Earp
The James Brothers

This list can go on and on.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost.
Re: Famous Rangers 03/26/2008 04:25 PM CDT
The problem with history is that so few people exaggerate their position in the caste. Thus, you have thief ranger mage scholars who can carry a tune with the best of them and by necessity know more than a little about weapons (ie, power rangers).

Re: Famous Rangers 03/26/2008 04:53 PM CDT
Henry David Thoreau

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Famous Rangers 03/26/2008 04:55 PM CDT
i'd say riddick is more thief than ranger

If advice was any good, they wouldn't give it out for free.
Re: Famous Rangers 03/26/2008 06:04 PM CDT
<<Raven from The Black Company

Love that series by the way.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: Famous Rangers 03/26/2008 06:09 PM CDT
Pitfall Harry

http://www.drtanning.net
Re: Famous Rangers 03/26/2008 09:36 PM CDT
Indiana Jones

Arctuniol

Knowledge is like manure, it's only good when spread.
Re: Famous Rangers 03/26/2008 09:39 PM CDT
>>Pitfall Harry

Blast from the past. I remember my first Atari though I also remember the little machine with ping pong on it so....

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost.
Re: Famous Rangers 03/27/2008 04:44 AM CDT
My Ranger is named Drizzzt.
Prime: Malkien
Prime: (Necromancer Bob- coming to DR in '08!)
TF: Ganymede
Re: Famous Rangers 03/27/2008 06:30 AM CDT
Bear Grylls

-Galren Moonskin

Tusfaov calmly says, "Excellent. The inner fire burns bright within your chest, Galren. You have achieved a new level of enlightenment."

!>You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde screaming in barbaric approval of your deeds.
Re: Famous Rangers 03/27/2008 09:37 PM CDT
Well Boone and Crockett are no-brainers.

Others:

Jim Bridger
Hugh Glass - read about him being left for dead after a bear attack
Jedediah Smith

Sylvado

Where would we be?

Jack: Bobby, I've had enough of Nikita, I'm ignoring him from now on!
Re: Famous Rangers 03/27/2008 09:42 PM CDT
Hugh the Hand

~Artilius
Re: Famous Rangers 03/28/2008 06:31 AM CDT
Grizzly Adams
Re: Famous Rangers 03/28/2008 07:00 AM CDT
Jim Bridger - another mountain man

mfberg
Re: Famous Rangers 03/28/2008 04:29 PM CDT
Jedidiah Smith...wasn't he the miner who ended up eating his friends because the three of them got lost in the snow coming back from their mine claim?

Re: Famous Rangers 03/28/2008 05:12 PM CDT
J'Lo, I am glad to know that someone else will know what I mean when I say it's a schpedoinkel day.

Now let's build a snowman...
Re: Famous Rangers 03/28/2008 09:24 PM CDT
Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth books by Terry Goodkind. Even though they called him a War Wizard, he was most certainly a ranger. Easily my favorite.

Falker
Re: Famous Rangers 03/28/2008 09:46 PM CDT
Allanon from the Shannara series. Yeah he was a druid but still seemed very rangerly to me
Re: Famous Rangers 03/29/2008 04:05 PM CDT
The Lone Ranger
Re: Famous Rangers 03/30/2008 05:08 AM CDT
<<Solid Snake is going to be the best Ranger example that you can come up with...especially in his most recent outing in Snake Eater. However what he does with a tranq gun, we do with a well placed snipe.>>

Solid Snake is one of my favorite visions of a ranger. He's a total solo, stealth survivor. Accomplished in many weapons, and fighting techniques, he's just a silent, deadly machine.

Naked Snake(from Snake Eater) is probably my favorite. He's the predacessor to Solid, so his tools are much less technological, and he's forced to survive with what he can find along the way, truely a ranger'ish feat. He gets dumped into missions with absolutely nothing but a knife, hence the code name "naked"(yes, he does have his clothes, just no gear).

I'm still surprised you couldn't stand the game Teek. I figured you'd have loved all the CQC, tranq'ing, sniping, and stealth. The story is awesome, and the stuff he goes through is just inspiring. There is also a good scene of FA usage, where he splints and bandages himself up from a near death experience.

Definitely, Naked Snake wins it for me on the vote for ranger'ness.

~Van
Re: Famous Rangers 03/30/2008 12:29 PM CDT
>Solid Snake is one of my favorite visions of a ranger.

Amusingly, for the same reasons, I've always thought of a lot of these people as Thieves when I played the games ;)

The two can be fairly similar in the modern era.

-Z
Re: Famous Rangers 03/30/2008 01:23 PM CDT
<<The two can be fairly similar in the modern era.>>

I can see that. I think the part that differs them sometimes is the reasons behind what they do, and if they're being used for offense or defense.

The ranger can be fairly different depending on his setting. In typical fantasy, he's the forest walker and wilderness fighter, in old medieval'ish settings they were the light armored soldiers and reconnaissance, in early american setting they were rugged outbackers and herd protectors, in the military they're light infantry, scouts, and pointmen. In each instance though, the ranger can be a raider or a guardian, depending on if they're being used for offense or defense.

I guess my visions of Snake as a ranger come from the solo survival aspect of him. Rambo was another good example. Aaron Hallam in the movie The Hunted was good too. Though that can be another example of how ranger and thief can be confused(I viewed him as more ranger).

~Van
Re: Famous Rangers 03/30/2008 02:31 PM CDT
<<someone else will know what I mean when I say it's a schpedoinkel day.

Muahaha. But it's schpadoinkle. I'm still laughing.

Master Craftsman Thryntyrlz BagMaker steps out from under Caelfind's road-worn traveler's cloak.

Tvini gets a Nilerbone brain from inside her canvas sack.
Tvini pokes her Nilerbone brain.
Nilerbone sneezes!
Re: Famous Rangers 03/30/2008 04:51 PM CDT
>I guess my visions of Snake as a ranger come from the solo survival aspect of him.<

Yeah, the 3rd one where you have to trek through the wilderness was definitely more Rangery.

But even a Thief is solo-survival, just as you said.. in different settings. Infiltrating and surviving a high-tech (think locks and traps in ye olde DR) facility is something a Thief would need to be able to do. A lot of Snake's adventures remind me of Sam Fisher or Garrett, both of whom I consider to be in the Thief vein as well.

There's always going to be a great deal of overlap between the two guilds, and I'd prefer to embrace that where it makes sense but give each their own unique areas to expand upon too. I know there's the grumps of guild identities being diluted from time to time but I think we all know the frustrations that arrive from 'Nope, you can't have that, guild X got there first. Nyah nyah!' ;)

-Z
Re: Famous Rangers 03/30/2008 05:34 PM CDT
Forgotten Realms:
Montolio Debrouchee
Drizzt Do'Urden
Florin Falconhand

Dragon Lance:
Tanis Half-Elven

Word & Void/Shanara:
The Knights of the Word
Bremen
Allanon
Walker Boh
The Leah family in general
Panamon and Padishar Creel

---Thya Telle
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
Re: Famous Rangers 03/30/2008 06:55 PM CDT
<<But even a Thief is solo-survival, just as you said.. in different settings. Infiltrating and surviving a high-tech (think locks and traps in ye olde DR) facility is something a Thief would need to be able to do. A lot of Snake's adventures remind me of Sam Fisher or Garrett, both of whom I consider to be in the Thief vein as well.>>

Definitely. I definitely see the high-tech, gadget and technology using very akin to thieves. Going along DR's route of things like the pipes the smoke bombs and other elements extracted from box traps. I'd really like to see that stuff expanded upon.

And as you said, there is going to naturally be a lot of overlap between the two guilds. It's always been that way with most fantasy. Most start you as a common rogue class, and later you take upon the thief/assassin path, or the ranger/hunter one.

I'd like to seem more survival based, ranger abilities sprout to life sometime too, combat included. Since combat is definitely an area where one's own life is often at stake.

~Van
Prev_page Previous 1