Prev_page Previous 1
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/17/2010 09:22 PM CDT
First to moan!

I love the concept, but would it be possible to get original age ranges for all races when being looked at by someone of the same race? If they aren't going to be uniform across all races, I would like to see consistency in this feature.

From a more personal standpoint, I am a Kaldar on my primary character, and would love some custom age ranges (or perhaps the development to justify them).

Right now the Moon Mage place on the "combat pet totem pole" is the part that's sunk into the earth to lower the pole's center of gravity.
-Armifer de Dragonrealms
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/17/2010 09:25 PM CDT
Awesome change, can't wait to see it go live.

"I am well versed in being a Warrior Mage. Cast Thunderclap. Throw weapon. If miss, report the target for cheating."
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/17/2010 09:48 PM CDT
>>I love the concept, but would it be possible to get original age ranges for all races when being looked at by someone of the same race? If they aren't going to be uniform across all races, I would like to see consistency in this feature.

In the current in-game messaging, Humans, Gor'Togs, S'kra Mur and Kaldar all share the same range and messaging, which is what is listed under "Gor'Tog, Normal."

The only differences between what Kaldar currently see and what's listed for Gor'Togs in that post are that the first 34 years are "fairly young --> young" rather than "child --> young --> adult" and that they become Archaic at 115 rather than 116.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/17/2010 10:12 PM CDT
I think that it's awesome that you're releasing this information rather than keeping it secret.

-Archaic Gnome

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/18/2010 12:54 AM CDT
>>In the current in-game messaging, Humans, Gor'Togs, S'kra Mur and Kaldar all share the same range and messaging, which is what is listed under "Gor'Tog, Normal."

Togs and Humans and Kaldar and S'kra all age at the same general pace. That is what you are saying, if I understand you?

My desire was to see age ranges that reflect the different cultures for all races, even if they age at a similar clip. As an example, Kaldar and Humans are probably the closest genetically (if not the same, despite cultural differences), but a 115+ human could be archaic whereas a 115+ Kaldar could be a venerated one, and a 115+ Tog could be an ancient lifter... or something.

Right now the Moon Mage place on the "combat pet totem pole" is the part that's sunk into the earth to lower the pole's center of gravity.
-Armifer de Dragonrealms
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/18/2010 01:40 AM CDT
>>Togs and Humans and Kaldar and S'kra all age at the same general pace. That is what you are saying, if I understand you?

In the current system, they age exactly the same. So do Dwarves + Elves + Gnomes.
In the revised system, they will age as I posted.

>>My desire was to see age ranges that reflect the different cultures for all races, even if they age at a similar clip. As an example, Kaldar and Humans are probably the closest genetically (if not the same, despite cultural differences), but a 115+ human could be archaic whereas a 115+ Kaldar could be a venerated one, and a 115+ Tog could be an ancient lifter... or something.

I've made as little impact on the age messages themselves as I could. I think most of the race-specific ones are obnoxiously cutesy and so I am not a good person to work on them.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/18/2010 09:03 AM CDT
>>DR-ARMIFER: I think most of the race-specific ones are obnoxiously cutesy and so I am not a good person to work on them.

I agree. (I prefer the more generic messaging.)

By the way, I love the proposed changes -- especially that shift will not change your actual age and that you will be able to see your own apparent age.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/18/2010 01:17 PM CDT
Neat.

~Sulakhan

"Under the sword lifted high, there is hell making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of bliss."

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/18/2010 03:14 PM CDT
Character's age was getting close to "mature" and now it is never going to happen unless rechoosing ages gets revisited, but that is my only complaint.
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/19/2010 03:43 AM CDT
Very nice. Thank you

"Sometimes you guys scare me."--Annwyl
"You people worry me."--GM Abasha
"Hmm..."--Z
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/19/2010 12:42 PM CDT
>>Character's age was getting close to "mature" and now it is never going to happen unless rechoosing ages gets revisited, but that is my only complaint.<<

I still have a hard time comprehending why rechoosing your age ONCE is so taboo.. I'd still like to hear an explanation.

Damian, a voice from the distant and long-forgotten past.
AIM:DamianDR
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/19/2010 01:03 PM CDT
>I still have a hard time comprehending why rechoosing your age ONCE is so taboo.. I'd still like to hear an explanation.

Were you not here for the firestorm the first time that was opened up? It's one of those things that really only makes sense in the light of the online gaming community of a decade ago.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/19/2010 01:41 PM CDT
>>I still have a hard time comprehending why rechoosing your age ONCE is so taboo.. I'd still like to hear an explanation.

I don't consider it taboo; I'm simply not taking the time out of my life to do it. It's not a part of the project I am doing and I'm not going to expand the project even further to encompass it.

-Armifer
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/19/2010 02:16 PM CDT
I have paid many plats to have my age shifted. Will it remain? I like being born in the month of Skullcleaver the dwarven axe. It will remain right? Future shifts will not effect your birth month and year.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/19/2010 02:23 PM CDT
>>I have paid many plats to have my age shifted. Will it remain? I like being born in the month of Skullcleaver the dwarven axe. It will remain right? Future shifts will not effect your birth month and year.

Your current shifts will continue to apply to LOOK (and be noted in AGE). INFO will display your character's actual, original date of birth and age.

SHIFT is not time travel.

-Armifer
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/19/2010 02:32 PM CDT
for the cost of age shifts and empath down time, you would think it was. Maybe it was at one time but is not now?

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/19/2010 02:40 PM CDT
The cost of age shifts is whatever the Empath chooses it to be, just as the actual cost of most forged weapons and enchantments doesn't even come close to breaching 1 plat. If you choose to pay more than this for that PC's time or expertise, it is very much a PC thing and not something I feel compelled to address.

Even if SHIFT AGE was not strictly cosmetic, it still cannot conceivably alter your character's birthday. It does not make your PC's father have sex with your PC's mother a day earlier. This was simply a hack from the original system creator who, for what I assume were excellent and pressing reasons, could not handle it in a more nuanced manner.

-Armifer
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/19/2010 03:34 PM CDT
>SHIFT is not time travel.

It is if you do it in a POC traveling at 88 rooms per minute.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/19/2010 04:07 PM CDT
>>It is if you do it in a POC traveling at 88 rooms per minute.

Don't forget the Warrior Mage.

-Armifer
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/19/2010 04:09 PM CDT
Carvan = tardis?

Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/19/2010 04:14 PM CDT
Caravan = DeLorean.

-Armifer
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/19/2010 09:00 PM CDT
>>Character's age was getting close to "mature" and now it is never going to happen unless rechoosing ages gets revisited, but that is my only complaint.<<

>>I still have a hard time comprehending why rechoosing your age ONCE is so taboo.. I'd still like to hear an explanation.<<

I really agree with these two comments..

One of my characters is going to be going back to in her prime, which honestly is going to mess with the RP as she's been venerable for some time. In some races age does hold a certain standing. The same goes for the Prydaen race, those who have been around since the race first became will pretty much be going back to being young. There must be some happy medium for those of us who enjoy playing older characters, other then just meerly apperance.

Just go back in the house,
Pour another cup of coffee,
And stay there!

It probably isn't going to be a good day....
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/19/2010 09:35 PM CDT
lol

I think some of these posters have you on ignore, Armifer.

"I am well versed in being a Warrior Mage. Cast Thunderclap. Throw weapon. If miss, report the target for cheating."
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/20/2010 05:08 PM CDT
>>I don't consider it taboo; I'm simply not taking the time out of my life to do it. It's not a part of the project I am doing and I'm not going to expand the project even further to encompass it.<<

gotcha, it is a completely valid point and one i understand, i had just gotten the impression that it was something that would never be allowed.

Damian, a voice from the distant and long-forgotten past.
AIM:DamianDR
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/20/2010 06:59 PM CDT
I too am glad it isn't taboo, I'm rushing my one character to as many different empaths to get his DOB as it should be in his story line.

Hey Sebastienne Dane's player, you should get this done soon too. If I recall correctly her info makes her a few years older then she should be.

Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/20/2010 07:25 PM CDT
>>I too am glad it isn't taboo, I'm rushing my one character to as many different empaths to get his DOB as it should be in his story line.

I think you missed something

>>Your current shifts will continue to apply to LOOK (and be noted in AGE). INFO will display your character's actual, original date of birth and age.

http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=12&topic=2&message=539
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/20/2010 07:41 PM CDT
Exactly, your current shifts, but after this is released, weeks, months away, then suddenly you'll not be able to change DOB.

I don't want to procrastonate, and have my character's DOB not be correct.

Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/20/2010 08:06 PM CDT
>>Exactly, your current shifts, but after this is released, weeks, months away, then suddenly you'll not be able to change DOB.

We must be reading this in different ways, I'm assuming by this he means it will go back to what it is supposed to be assuming you never had any shifts. Instead it will just be applied to look. I'm making this assumption because he specifically says that all your current shifts will be displayed in your look and that your INFO will display your actual age. He didn't say that in the future your shifts will be applied to look and your age stay the same.
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/20/2010 08:07 PM CDT
<<Exactly, your current shifts, but after this is released, weeks, months away, then suddenly you'll not be able to change DOB.>>

I think you are misinterpreting the word original in the sentence, "Your current shifts will continue to apply to LOOK (and be noted in AGE). INFO will display your character's actual, original date of birth and age."

To me that word means out of CM date of birth... your character's "original" date of birth. Not what you have shifted it to since you've played DR.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/20/2010 08:15 PM CDT
>>To me that word means out of CM date of birth... your character's "original" date of birth. Not what you have shifted it to since you've played DR.

Somehow I didn't think of that but with my argument and now yours I'm extremely confident that I didn't misread it.
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/20/2010 08:29 PM CDT
I think there's a tremendous IC/OOC disconnect going on here. SHIFT is not some OOC thing you do to get "the date you wanted to be born on." It is an IC, hideously forbidden act that Empaths can do to torment your character's body into some form it originally did not have. If it is part of your character's RP to lie about having underwent it, that's definitely something that falls outside both my business and the immediate concern of what I am doing.

That in mind:

INFO will display your date of birth as it came out of the character generator. Your character's actual date of birth.

AGE and LOOK will show your visible age, which is your actual age +/- whatever shifting you have had done.

-Armifer
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/21/2010 01:13 AM CDT
I expect this is something for someone else, Armifer, but I have what I think would be a reasonable solution.

Shifting simply changes appearance, not actual age (or will, once this change takes effect). Since that is the case, I expect Shift [day/month] will be a lot more difficult to track from outside the box (judging on the below):

>age
You are twenty-six years old, yet appear to be fifty-six due to empathic shifting.
Among Olvi, you appear to be a pipesmoker.
To the other races, you appear to be middle-aged.

Perhaps Shift [day/month] could be replaced at the same difficulty with Shift Year, and the empty slot for the previous difficulty of Shift Year could be replaced with a new age shift that altered the appearance of the shiftee to the next age range. Or even, to save on the additional coding to shift difficulty ranges, just add in the last option as a more difficult shift than the current shift year.

... or was this already suggested?

- Fuquois

Board Villainy is a lost art.
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/21/2010 10:22 AM CDT
"If it is part of your character's RP to lie about having underwent it..."

I understand the player's concern. About the time SHIFT was released, GMs shut down the hair stylist in Leth because of an unintended "feature."

End result: My main character is now a "natural" red-head because of a previous week's impulse, even though he had come out of the character generator with black hair. It was never worth the assist to get back the character's baseline black hair, but I can see where a player might be interested in "pre-fixing" a potential wonkiness in the system.

From what I can infer from your posts, it sounds like you'll be using the character's file creation date to calculate the correct in-system age...so shifting to a specific birthday date prior to release won't help a player get a desired birthday date anyway.
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/21/2010 02:16 PM CDT

>I think there's a tremendous IC/OOC disconnect going on here. SHIFT is not some OOC thing you do to get "the date you wanted to be born on." It is an IC, hideously forbidden act that Empaths can do to torment your character's body into some form it originally did not have. If it is part of your character's RP to lie about having underwent it, that's definitely something that falls outside both my business and the immediate concern of what I am doing.

What about other aspects of shifting? Is it just utterly impossible that some gigantic, meat-eating barbarian that bench presses ogres for a living to have acquired a brawny build from all that physical labor? Or does the story absolutely have to be, "I got an Empath to shift and then I lied about it?"
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/21/2010 03:14 PM CDT
Ugh. Do you really want to encourage Armifer to step on the landmine that is the untenable Shift RP situation?

Can't we all be friends?

Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/21/2010 03:29 PM CDT
>>Ugh. Do you really want to encourage Armifer to step on the landmine that is the untenable Shift RP situation?

I'm inclined to see the Shift situation as perfectly solvable; it's the character generator situation that causes me heartburn.

-Armifer
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/21/2010 08:10 PM CDT
I am glad to hear about the solvablity of the shift situation (at least I am hoping that suggests that somewhere GMs are thinking about brainstorming for additional ways PCs can have looks with it being essentially they were born that way, and or nurtured and grew into being that way).

It's not that I don't like Empaths having cool factors (I'd like them to have more things, and I haven't made it very far with any of my characters but it seems like Shifting was put in more as a 'sorry we couldn't give you Empaths anything better, but have this'.)

Not that recently all guilds have had a lot of cool add-ons, don't have a trader but those Personally Owned Caravans, that are getting Primped or whatever. They are nice.

Sorry for the digression,

And thanks,
Shadow7988
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 05/24/2010 03:39 AM CDT
Love this upcoming release.

>>First age description is a Prydaen looking at a Prydaen. Second is a non*-*kitty looking at a Prydaen.

Armifer, we're going to be fighting.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 06/22/2010 04:07 PM CDT
>>I think there's a tremendous IC/OOC disconnect going on here. SHIFT is not some OOC thing you do to get "the date you wanted to be born on." It is an IC, hideously forbidden act that Empaths can do to torment your character's body into some form it originally did not have. If it is part of your character's RP to lie about having underwent it, that's definitely something that falls outside both my business and the immediate concern of what I am doing.

>>That in mind:

>>INFO will display your date of birth as it came out of the character generator. Your character's actual date of birth.

>>AGE and LOOK will show your visible age, which is your actual age +/- whatever shifting you have had done.

>>-Armifer<<

And this really upsets me to the point I just e-mailed Feedback about it.

I don't care about grossly shifting my age in terms of years. If I'd been Premium at the time of my main character 8 years ago, I'd have picked the birthday I did. (Actually might have been off a few days, but it would have been in the month/year I had it shifted to). Between some 9 age shifts by my reckoning, my birthdate had changed by about 7 months (went older for most shifts and then a year younger).

From the standpoint of the game, no one knows a character's birthdate except the player through an OOC verb. (And Hodierna at the end of char gen)

It would actually be good for people to choose their birthdate, particularly people who were not Plat/Premium at the time of their character generation. (And I've been Premium for nearly 5 years consecutively and Plat nearly 3). Year/Age category be a Premium/Prime perk, sure. But the month and date, that's trivial in the grand scheme of a character's life.

Steven
Player of Kaeta Airtag, et alii.

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Age Messaging - The Quickening 06/22/2010 04:24 PM CDT
>>From the standpoint of the game, no one knows a character's birthdate except the player through an OOC verb. (And Hodierna at the end of char gen)

Maybe I'm not on the same page as everyone else here, but the above is completely true. I do not understand the rage that's coming at the age system when if you want to roleplay that you were born in X month or Y year, you can totally just do that and nobody but you will be the wiser. Ia seeing the age as being different yourself, even if nobody else can, really something that is so urgent you must change it?

- Starlear -
Prev_page Previous 1