Prev_page Previous 1
Racial Advantages 01/29/2009 06:58 PM CST
You took away my Gor'Tog bonus to burden, but I said "okay, everyones equal." I've waited patiently as the Prydaen used their claws, the S'Kra and Rakash got nasty bites, and the gnomes and halflings? get to wander around places like the Theren Keep tunnels without having to crawl. So.... are we all equal or am I gonna get something nifty?

I'm a sad Gor'Tog.
Re: Racial Advantages 01/29/2009 07:08 PM CST
1) Gnomes still have to crawl through tunnels. I had to crawl through the one in the keep about a week ago.

2) How many Gor'tog clans are there? I'd love for half a province to be run by us gnomes.

3) Tog Ball
Re: Racial Advantages 01/29/2009 07:54 PM CST
>the gnomes and halflings? get to wander around places like the Theren Keep tunnels without having to crawl.

Not really a compelling advantage. Also, not all "small" areas are coded like this. For instance, the tunnel between shalswars and Raven's Point requires even very short gnomes to kneel and crawl.

Gnomes do also get a bonus to repairing siege equipment... huge bonus!

I had a few others saved up, but I don't remember them all offhand. I think they're all relatively minor though, so I don't see this as a real issue. I guess the claw thing is a valid concern. But then, prydaens get a charisma bonus, isn't that penalty enough?
Re: Racial Advantages 01/29/2009 08:19 PM CST
4. Tarupamki
Re: Racial Advantages 01/29/2009 09:31 PM CST
the only gnome/halfling/dwarf advantage i've seen is not having to kneel to enter the burrow shop on aesry or the tobacco shop in riverhaven on stealing runs. hence you can get in and out quicker.
Re: Racial Advantages 01/29/2009 10:12 PM CST
There's a room in the Theren Keep dungeons that only a halfling (I'm assuming that Prydaens are "normal-sized" or otherwise not specifically targetted, and I didn't check with a gnome) can get into. Everyone else, even when kneeling, gets a too-big message that prevents entry. This room is decidedly pointless to the greater area (one of the puzzle doors is in there, but you can use the tunnels to bypass it), but it does open up a shortcut that the bigger races can't.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Racial Advantages 01/30/2009 01:24 AM CST
>I guess the claw thing is a valid concern. But then, prydaens get a charisma bonus, isn't that penalty enough?

Charisma bonus and a Discipline penalty.

I mean, seriously. Seriously. Seriously guys. I'd like to think this makes up for the claw thing, and move on.

Dragoonseal
http://srslyguyz.com/
Re: Racial Advantages 01/30/2009 05:36 AM CST
Elves have a charisma bonus and a discipline penalty, and don't get innate super-brawling-weapons-of-death.

Just saying.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/huldahspal/flyingcompany.png
Re: Racial Advantages 01/30/2009 05:49 AM CST
>>Elves have a charisma bonus and a discipline penalty, and don't get innate super-brawling-weapons-of-death.

>>Just saying.

Funny, neither do Prydaens. Say what you like about the claw bonus, but it isn't nearly as large as many make it out to be. The bonus is certainly noticable. However, between brawling weapons and the bonus provided by armors, most any player can achieve similiar if not superior damage improvement on common brawling attacks. Is there a bonus? Yes. But it doesn't qualify as "super-brawling-weapons-of-death" and the hyperbole doesn't do much to further a discussion of what bonuses the various races could have.

GM Oolan Jeel

"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice."
- Richard Moore
Re: Racial Advantages 01/30/2009 09:33 AM CST
Don't know about you folks, but I didn't pick my race to min/max stats. If I did, I wouldn't have chosen an Elf with a penalty to discipline. The charisma boost is nice though.

I think the big penalty to Prydaens is having to deal with other Prydaens who completely shrug off the culture and just want to tickle people with their fuzzy wuzzy tails.

Just saying.

~ Terra
Re: Racial Advantages 01/30/2009 09:38 AM CST
I swear I remember a GM posted a long time ago that elves got an advantage to longbow and there were other race advantages. I think it was probably on an earlier version of the boards so probably not something that could be found on a web archive.
Re: Racial Advantages 01/30/2009 03:29 PM CST
>Funny, neither do Prydaens. Say what you like about the claw bonus, but it isn't nearly as large as many make it out to be. The bonus is certainly noticable. However, between brawling weapons and the bonus provided by armors, most any player can achieve similiar if not superior damage improvement on common brawling attacks. Is there a bonus? Yes. But it doesn't qualify as "super-brawling-weapons-of-death" and the hyperbole doesn't do much to further a discussion of what bonuses the various races could have.

Do brawling weapons that boost CLAW attacks exist? Because prydaens can use all of the rest of the items you mentioned.
Re: Racial Advantages 01/30/2009 03:44 PM CST
No, as far as I've seen there's nothing to boost claw/gouge.

I have two sets of brawling combos, one for Prydaen that uses CLAW and another for my other characters that doesn't. There's no noticeable difference other than the change in damage from all impact to a mix of impact and slice.

A kra'hei hatchling belts out, "It's the song that never ends..."

You groan.
Re: Racial Advantages 01/30/2009 03:49 PM CST
Would knuckles or perhaps some plate gauntlets boost claw-based attacks? I've noticed my characters with those tend to have very mean right hooks.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Racial Advantages 01/30/2009 04:46 PM CST
>>But it doesn't qualify as "super-brawling-weapons-of-death" and the hyperbole doesn't do much to further a discussion of what bonuses the various races could have.<<

Would you have been happy with "brawling weapons of death"? =P

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/huldahspal/flyingcompany.png
Re: Racial Advantages 01/30/2009 06:38 PM CST
No, as far as I've been able to determine gauntlets and knuckles give no boost to claw or gouge. I haven't done any really formal tests (with logs and such) but I did do a few informal comparisons (since my Prydaen wears plate) and didn't find a noticeable difference in claw/gouge.

The general rule for brawling bonuses is that the bonuses show up in combat messaging. For armor/brawling weapons, this messaging shows up in attacks like punch ("you punch your plate-clad fist at <target>" or "you punch your spiked knuckles at <target>" instead of "you punch your fist at <target>") but does NOT show in claw/gouge.

If you play a non-prydaen, you see "You claw/gouge your fingers at <target>". If you play a Prydaen, you see "You claw/gouge your claws at <target>", indicating the bonus these attacks recieve. I haven't tested with skra/rakash bite, but bite works a bit differently and the same rules may not apply.

That said, even on my Rakash (non-moonskin) claw did significant damage, even approaching plate-boosted punch, and should not be discounted as an option simply because you're not a Prydaen. This is probably especially true at higher levels for characters that train agility/reflex significantly higher than their strength/stamina, since the former supposedly boost claw (and similar attacks) while the latter boost punch (and similar attacks).

You groan.
Re: Racial Advantages 01/30/2009 07:39 PM CST
Yeah, as a halfling the damage output per unit of time that I can output using my agility-centric brawling combo rivals about what I can do with my forged katar (I'm LE primary, it's about 30 ranks higher than brawling).

That said, I really do wish we could get some claw/gouge-enhancing brawling weapons, even if it only gave us non-prydaens parity with them. I bring it up about once a month or so. Eventually the pestering will get it done (I hope) or Oolan will rip my head off... either way, it promises to be fun.

Denstimar Dustyfoot
Idon Raider - www.idonraiders.com
"It's not about making money, it's about taking money; destroying the status quo because the status is not quo." - Dr. Horrible
Re: Racial Advantages 01/31/2009 09:37 AM CST
I know we're not jealous of Prydaen. Come on, people.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Racial Advantages 02/02/2009 06:11 PM CST
Heyo!

Let's make this simple.

There are several hidden advantages and penalties for races. To put it bluntly, the smaller races are by far and away the most penalized. No contest. So if you want to know the Tog advantage, it's simple -- they don't have literally dozens of hidden penalties like the lil' folk do for virtually nothing in return.

Actually, Togs do have other advantages on top of that. In terms of overall game balance, the Big Guys have far more advantages and far fewer disadvantages than the Little Guys.

Yes, we are working on changing that.

- GM Dartenian

If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right. - Henry Ford
Re: Racial Advantages 02/02/2009 06:29 PM CST
>>There are several hidden advantages and penalties for races.

>roar slash
Re: Racial Advantages 02/02/2009 08:31 PM CST
Can you tell us what the hidden bonuses/penalties were/are when they get rehashed?

More for curiosity than anything. I've always suspected that racial advantages existed (especially for/against race size) based on how GS3 works, but I would love to know what they actually panned out to be.

GENT
Re: Racial Advantages 02/02/2009 09:11 PM CST
>>roar slash

When roars are redone, there will be ZERO factoring of height into the ability.

~GM Aurdun
Barbarians' Guild Advocate
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
History Guru

"Don't use logic on scientists. That's just mean." ~ GM Zeyurn
Re: Racial Advantages 02/02/2009 11:03 PM CST
i always figured the learning penalty is hard enough for togs.

look at the trader plaque.<highest circle folks> see any togs there? newp. see gnomes? yup.
Re: Racial Advantages 02/02/2009 11:32 PM CST
>>When roars are redone, there will be ZERO factoring of height into the ability.

Huh... You know, when you confirmed for me that my Tog would probably be better at some roars than my Halfling, I thought it was just a matter of average stat setups between the races. Never even crossed my mind that there would just be a blatant "stick it to the little guys" clause in the code.

Thanks in advance to any/all GMs involved in fixing this stuff and/or leveling the playing fields.

Denstimar Dustyfoot
"It's not about making money, it's about taking money; destroying the status quo because the status is not quo." - Dr. Horrible
Re: Racial Advantages 02/03/2009 09:10 AM CST
>i always figured the learning penalty is hard enough for togs.

Except there is no learning penalty.
Re: Racial Advantages 02/03/2009 09:17 AM CST
>>Except there is no learning penalty.

It's an indirect one. Wisdom and Intelligence are the penalty stats for gor'togs, and wisdom and intelligence both factor into mindstate pools. Ergo, as the normal tog is likely to have less they won't drain as fast.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Racial Advantages 02/03/2009 12:28 PM CST
> Never even crossed my mind that there would just be a blatant "stick it to the little guys" clause in the code.

Huge "stick it to the little guys" clause, point in fact. Ridiculously so.

Little guys also had a huge penalty in climbing in the old system. Several custom climbs still have the penalties.

Still some penalties for the little guys in things like vitality/endo regen. That'll likely change too. There are other penalties out there as well -- right now most are custom coded so hard to find. I've been slowly working on moving all race-based mods to a central location so we actually know what's going on. So far, dwarves, gnomes, and halflings are pretty heavily penalized almost everywhere a racial adjustment is involved. That needs to change.

- GM Dartenian

If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right. - Henry Ford
Re: Racial Advantages 02/03/2009 12:40 PM CST
>>So far, dwarves, gnomes, and halflings are pretty heavily penalized almost everywhere a racial adjustment is involved. That needs to change.

Dart, I love you!

Meli
Re: Racial Advantages 02/03/2009 12:57 PM CST
>>Little guys also had a huge penalty in climbing in the old system. Several custom climbs still have the penalties.

Wow. That doesn't even make sense to me. I always thought if there was a mod there it'd go the other way. Crazy.

>>Still some penalties for the little guys in things like vitality/endo regen.

1st: That explains a lot.
2nd: Endo? I don't think I recognize that term.

>>So far, dwarves, gnomes, and halflings are pretty heavily penalized almost everywhere a racial adjustment is involved. That needs to change.

Name your liquor and shoot me an address. I will have you flying high in celebration of this accomplishment when you've finished. :)

Denstimar Dustyfoot
Re: Racial Advantages 02/03/2009 01:28 PM CST
Damn it. Stop taking away my excuses to complain. :P
Re: Racial Advantages 02/03/2009 02:58 PM CST
>>So far, dwarves, gnomes, and halflings are pretty heavily penalized almost everywhere a racial adjustment is involved.

Pfft! Just make it so that if the dwarf can't reach the (thing) to get into the Abbey, they just bust a hole in the wall. You KNOW that's what'd they do anyways, if this were more "real life"-ish.

Re: Racial Advantages 02/03/2009 03:23 PM CST
What an interesting twist to the thread.

>So far, dwarves, gnomes, and halflings are pretty heavily penalized almost everywhere a racial adjustment is involved. That needs to change.

Thank you sir.

>>Except there is no learning penalty.

>It's an indirect one. Wisdom and Intelligence are the penalty stats for gor'togs, and wisdom and intelligence both factor into mindstate pools. Ergo, as the normal tog is likely to have less they won't drain as fast.

Yes, but this has absolutely nothing to do with what you're talking about. All races have balanced training costs overall. We're talking about imbalances.
Re: Racial Advantages 02/03/2009 03:24 PM CST
>2nd: Endo? I don't think I recognize that term.

I'm guessing he meant stamina/fatigue. Not sure exactly what endo means either.
Re: Racial Advantages 02/03/2009 03:27 PM CST
>>I'm guessing he meant stamina/fatigue. Not sure exactly what endo means either.

spirit?

~Arwinia

Thieves will continue to be dominated by the awesome power of the perceive health ability - that which causes rivers to dry up, babies to cry, and the earth to shake.
Stand back mortal, lest ye health be perceived.
-Ssra
Re: Racial Advantages 02/03/2009 04:50 PM CST
Endo is the term people who play DAOC use for Endurance. So fatigue.

-Z
Re: Racial Advantages 02/03/2009 05:07 PM CST
Thanks Z.

Denstimar Dustyfoot
Re: Racial Advantages 02/03/2009 05:28 PM CST
No no no, the racial penalties make sense! The little guys have low vitality 'cause their wee little bodies have less blood to lose, and they recover endurance slower 'cause they have to jump around all the time to do anything (reach something on a shelf, decpitate a critter bigger than a rat, etc), and they have a climbing penalty 'cause they can't reach handholds more than a foot apart!

Of course, to balance it out they should learn climbing doing just about anything (reaching high shelves and so on), and recieve a hiding bonus, since you won't even know they're there unless you look down or step on one by accident.

(KIDDING! It's good to hear penalties like that are going away. Good luck digging up that code!)

You groan.
Re: Racial Advantages 02/03/2009 08:20 PM CST
>No no no, the racial penalties make sense! The little guys have low vitality 'cause their wee little bodies have less blood to lose, and they recover endurance slower 'cause they have to jump around all the time to do anything (reach something on a shelf, decpitate a critter bigger than a rat, etc), and they have a climbing penalty 'cause they can't reach handholds more than a foot apart!

True. And gnomes should naturally be very difficult to hit with an arrow as well. I'd take that trade-off.
Re: Racial Advantages 02/03/2009 08:23 PM CST
> I'm guessing he meant stamina/fatigue. Not sure exactly what endo means either.

Fatigue. Sorry, I play way too many games :-P

- GM Dartenian

Re: Racial Advantages 02/03/2009 09:24 PM CST
<<True. And gnomes should naturally be very difficult to hit with an arrow as well. I'd take that trade-off.>>

Yes, but they should be easily puntable by taller races.

You groan.
Prev_page Previous 1