Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/25/2007 11:32 AM CDT
>>That leads me to think that A = 100 and B = 150. Now I need someone to check discipline (I'm out of TDPs) and double check A and B on a non-eloth.>

I can probably do another test with one point added to discipline in a couple of ranks.

Sadeia.

>befriend clear all
You are now friendless.
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/25/2007 11:44 AM CDT
If you've got TDPs and want to help me test, wait till our man Ssra checks the numbers again tonight.

So far though the formula I posted earlier is dead on for predicting "coins to light burden" for a novice human, as long as I apply a static -70 racial modifier.

~Ranger Hanryu, Sword of House Calibanor
Keeper of the CEC
http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/25/2007 12:39 PM CDT
>>If you've got TDPs and want to help me test, wait till our man Ssra checks the numbers again tonight.

>So far though the formula I posted earlier is dead on for predicting "coins to light burden" for a novice human, as long as I apply a static -70 racial modifier.>>

Cool deal -- I have the TDPs in my pocket if they're needed later.

Sadeia.

>befriend clear all
You are now friendless.
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/25/2007 02:38 PM CDT
Ok, I looked at the code that calculates burden.

Everything appears to be set up properly

Each character may have hidden items that are generally used by systems or abilities. These items tend to be weightless but some are not. You can't remove them and they will count toward your burden. A typical beard for example weighs 5 stones. There will likely be a margin of error due to these hidden attachments to your character.

-Ssra

"There is always a bigger fish."
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/25/2007 02:43 PM CDT
> Each character may have hidden items that are generally used by systems or abilities. These items tend to be weightless but some are not. You can't remove them and they will count toward your burden. A typical beard for example weighs 5 stones. There will likely be a margin of error due to these hidden attachments to your character.

Ah, no way! How am I supposed to compensate for that? Heh. Am I on track with the formula otherwise? Thanks for the info so far.

Keeper of the CEC
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/25/2007 03:34 PM CDT
>>How am I supposed to compensate for that?

Best-fit curves, and a lot more data points.
_

Moon Magic 101:
"A lethal spell is defined as a spell which, by itself, can cause the death of anyone other than the caster." --GM Armifer
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/25/2007 03:46 PM CDT
Repeated measures.
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/25/2007 04:10 PM CDT
>>A typical beard for example weighs 5 stones.

Wow, that's one huge beard.

Is that a sword? Luxury!
Is that a horse? Sloth!
Is that a helmet? Vanity!
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/25/2007 04:18 PM CDT
>>>A typical beard for example weighs 5 stones.

>Wow, that's one huge beard.

A half pound of hair? That doesn't sound too crazy. Look at ZZ Top.

Aveda's Field Guide
http://dr.aveda.googlepages.com
Hot hot hot scripts, Antique P5 maps, a macro tutorial, skill & stat training advice, and plenty of Bardly goodness.
Reckus 4 is out! Now with vocal support! 9/18/2007
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/25/2007 04:20 PM CDT
Here are my numbers:

>inv
You have nothing.
>enc
Encumbrance: None
>weal
You have:
2649 copper Kronars.
>withdraw 1 copper kro
The clerk counts out 1 copper Kronars and hands them over, making a notation in her ledger.
>en
Encumbrance: Light Burden
>weal
You have:
2650 copper Kronars.

Strength : 9, Stamina : 13, Discipline : 35

He also has a "a slender tail" which I'm guessing is slightly lighter than "a thick tail" but heavier than a beard.
_

Moon Magic 101:
"A lethal spell is defined as a spell which, by itself, can cause the death of anyone other than the caster." --GM Armifer
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/25/2007 04:35 PM CDT
>>A typical beard for example weighs 5 stones. There will likely be a margin of error due to these hidden attachments to your character.

Guys and gals, really, the implants are not that necessary, I swear!

On a more serious note, what's your definition of typical? I mean, do you mean an exact size of beard or does it randomize/operate on a range (ie, it grows or decreases with time/effort, like vitality or experience).

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/25/2007 06:15 PM CDT
5 stones for a beard? Holy cow. This gnome is shaving ASAP.

Too bad a razor probably weighs at least 5 stones too.
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/25/2007 09:07 PM CDT
<<5 stones for a beard? Holy cow. This gnome is shaving ASAP.>>

I'll explore setting those up so they don't count toward your burden.

-Ssra

Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/26/2007 05:55 AM CDT
I'm getting really tired of my Olvi being light one moment and somewhat the next with no change in gear or state of health or fatigue. Is the sun and wind that heavy?
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/26/2007 09:00 AM CDT
Are you holding a weapons that you weren't holding before? When my gnome was wearing his crossbow he had no burden, and when he was holding it he had light burden. Now that I've trained strength and stamina up a bit it isn't a problem.
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/26/2007 09:07 AM CDT
Nope. I walked from Shard to Crossing. I changed encumbrance for no reason at all several times during the trip. Maybe the gravity is stronger in some places?
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/26/2007 09:08 AM CDT
Maybe your beard grew, and then a thief stole from you, and then your beard grew again.
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/26/2007 09:23 AM CDT
<<5 stones for a beard? Holy cow. This gnome is shaving ASAP.>>

>>I'll explore setting those up so they don't count toward your burden.

That's great, Ssra.

I'm not sure of Elanthian weigths and measures but a stone traditionally was about 14 pounds. It's a little bit of a stretch to say that someone's beard weighed 70 pounds!!!

I'm thinking that our stone is defined differently.

Player of a few too many

Pol-i-tics (pol-i-tiks) n. 1. "Poli" meaning many. 2. "Tics" meaning blood-sucking insects.
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/26/2007 09:36 AM CDT
I'm pretty sure it's 1 stone = 1/10 of a pound.

As for burden changing just from walking ... how are you checking your burden? Technically, it's not possible unless something is adding to your inventory (slip).

Olvi can carry more now than ever before.

-Ssra

Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/26/2007 01:04 PM CDT
The Olvi in question is female.

In fact a few times I did things to lower the encumbrance and it went down. Then with nothing being added to her inventory it was back up.
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/26/2007 03:33 PM CDT
>>The Olvi in question is female.

Ah, so she's retaining water.

Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/26/2007 08:34 PM CDT
Strength: 25
Stamina: 25
Discipline: 25
Race: Rakash

>wealth

You have:
5999 copper Kronars.

>with 1 copper

The clerk counts out 1 copper Kronars and hands them over, making a notation in her ledger.

>enc

Trained discipline once to 26, logged out and back in for the following results:

>weal

You have:

5999 copper Kronars.

>enc

Encumbrance: None

>weal
You have:

5999 copper Kronars.

>with 1 copp

>enc

So, upped discipline from 25 to 26 and got the same result.

Sadeia.

>befriend clear all
You are now friendless.
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/27/2007 08:31 AM CDT
>So, upped discipline from 25 to 26 and got the same result.

Yea I went and tested with a female novice human, trained discipline 10 times and noticed no increase in carrying capacity. My previous results must have been because of one of those "fantom weight" things Ssra mentioned. Furthermore I tested training 2 discipline with Hanryu and got the same results you did. A quick shave of my mustache though let me carry 2 extra stones (10 coins). That was just stubble too, holy cow!

Still something to note. Using the formula..
#coins = 100 x Str + 150 x Stam + Y

CharacterY
Someone's Gnome-220
Sadeia's Rakash-250
Someone's Eloth-220
Hanryu-270
Female Novice Human-50

So my ranger has carries about 55 stones of fantom weight and even an unguilded novice with no skills carries 10 stones of something. This is pretty extreme in my opinion. I'd like to know how I can loose those 50 stones.

Keeper of the CEC
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/27/2007 09:32 AM CDT
Yeesh Hanryu, if stubble is 2 stones (10 coins), I wonder what my mustache/beard is adding on. Although, since this is probably the longest I've ever been able to grow it, Ill never shave it off.. even if you can't see it through my cloak.

You have a long narrow mustache that droops to either side of the mouth on your upper lip and a long thin beard.
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/27/2007 09:56 AM CDT
So how does my female Olvi get rid of a fantum beard? I'm afraid to take her hunting.
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/27/2007 10:18 AM CDT
Female characters (except Dwarven women) should not have a beard item at all, so it wouldn't be adding to your weight.

-GM Obseden
"To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven."
"Anything's possible. Especially since I'm rewriting the system."
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/27/2007 11:31 AM CDT
Then what is making it randomly fluctuate?
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/27/2007 12:31 PM CDT
>>what is making it randomly fluctuate?

Phantom foot hair.
_

Moon Magic 101:
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/27/2007 02:27 PM CDT
>weight fluctuations and phantom weight

I'd really like to know what causes this also, and better yet what I can do about the fluctuations and the phantom weight. I lost over 280 stones of carrying capacity in the encumbrance nerf so suddenly those 50 random stones of stuff I can't get rid of even while nekkid, matter.

Keeper of the CEC
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/27/2007 04:03 PM CDT
>>Then what is making it randomly fluctuate?

What kind of features do you have (anything particularly large or small, a la tails)? Any shifts, tattoos or other addons? Those are probably itemized with a weight value, even if it's 0.0. Some spells/abilities add such things, do you use such a thing and do you see any difference between having it and not having it?

When you notice this, do you have a bleeder (ie, phantom bandages)?

Dunno if any/all this stuff matters, just throwing out ideas for things.

Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/27/2007 08:05 PM CDT
There are a number of items moved onto a player for various purposes. We're not about to sort through every piece of code in the game to find out why you may have XYZ attachments.

I shared the information with you so you can make a reasonable assessment. I hope I don't end up regretting it.

Also, "phantom weight" and the conclusion thereof makes certain assumptions that may not be necessarily true.

-Ssra

Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/27/2007 08:19 PM CDT
Umm. I haven't assisted or gotten an email or been advised by any gm regarding this issue.

It is enough of a fluctuation it's messing up my ability to train just this one character. The rest I've checked are not having this level of difficulty.

There is no reason for the encumbrance to change this much. I would like to keep this character. I've had her for a long time. But the amount of fluctuation she's getting at her circle level is enough to majorly impact my ability to train her.

Some help would be appreciated.

Are you saying I should assist in game with that character?
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/28/2007 02:07 AM CDT
<<Some help would be appreciated.>>

Objects when worn, weigh less.

If you are holding a backpack or heavy object in hand your burden will increase.

-Ssra

Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/28/2007 06:18 AM CDT
Once I got my encumbrance down I did not change a thing, including moving things from worn to backpack. I ran from Shard to Leth where the travel script I was on checked it. That travel script does not involve moving worn items to your backpack.

Currently she is in Haven where I went to see what this would do to her hunting and I found I had to drop her back to goblins. Ack. I am getting rid of the coin, boxes, and skins. Then I will sort through her gear again and see if I can find the item.

My current theory is it is an item from the sea caves that has issues with what it thinks it is from time to time or what it thinks it weights and what size it is. It has to be an item that is not common or the whole game would be screaming.

If I cannot find the item I will assist.
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/28/2007 07:29 AM CDT
Is anyone else having this problem with burden changing without picking up anything?

I need to know the name of the character. If you don't want to post it you can email the name to dr-ssra@play.net.

Thanks.

-Ssra

Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/28/2007 11:46 AM CDT
> Also, "phantom weight" and the conclusion thereof makes certain assumptions that may not be necessarily true.

Can you provide any information that might help us make more accurate assumptions? Is the formula wrong? What am I doing wrong that Hanryu has 54 stones of weight I can not account for when completely naked?

Keeper of the CEC
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/28/2007 12:53 PM CDT
Mines not randomly fluctuating but it did go up once right after the change. Guess I'm just suffering the loss of my Dwarvenly bonus to carrying things? (Oh the pain of a single gem pouch now it seems!)

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/28/2007 03:06 PM CDT
I went back and looked at the old racial chart for encumbrance, if we are balancing it out to all be like humans, then shouldn't I as a dwarf be able to carry more now? Should my burden have increased or should it have decreased? (To clarify I had a somewhat burden and was logged out when the change was made and logged in with a burden(high in the range though))

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 09/28/2007 04:01 PM CDT
>I went back and looked at the old racial chart for encumbrance, if we are balancing it out to all be like humans, then shouldn't I as a dwarf be able to carry more now? Should my burden have increased or should it have decreased?

If you were wearing a bunch of heavy items and not really carrying much you would see the burden increase you described.
Re: Specifics of new encumbrance? 10/01/2007 08:19 AM CDT
Ok Hanryu.. had to wait until I was able to get 2 stamina to finish this, but here goes. Same Elothean, same stats, nothing changed in between (didnt shave beard, no new tattoo's, etc):

As of my last research; 35 Str, 31 Stam, 30 Disc, 7930 copper to hit Light Burden (30 to 31 gave 150 increase)

Trained 1 Stamina; 35 Str, 32 Stam, 30 Disc, 8030 copper to hit Light Burden (only 100 increase this time)

Trained 1 more Stamina; 35 Str, 33 Stam, 30 Disc, 8180 copper to hit Light Burden (150 increase this time)

Hope that helps you a bit more Hanryu

-Master Ndin