Prev_page Previous 1 3
Smoking 07/10/2003 11:53 AM CDT
Silly question...

Originally, there was mention of a new smoke image being released every so often. I know it's a bit over the line to expect one every month, which is what i'd originally heard, but is there any word on the next release?

Also, can we suggest smoke images? Is there a smoking folder on the boards? I couldn't find it...

Finally, i'm looking for an Olvi to teach my cousin smoke images, as many as he/she is willing. I'll pay for the service if necessary, but i'm hoping someone will do it out of the good of their little Olvi heart :)

Thanks,

Ahkshan
Smoking image suggestions 07/18/2003 11:33 PM CDT
(all views described are master's views)

Room View: the smoky image of a dainty heart
You see: You release a puff of smoke that morphs into the form of a heart outline. With a quick exhalation, you shoot a thin smoke arrow that lodges itself into the center.

They see: Glaerith releases a puff of smoke that morphs into the outline of a dainty heart. With a quick exhalation, she expels a thin smoke arrow that lodges itself into the center.

At person: Glaerith releases a puff of smoke that morphs into the outline of a dainty heart. With a quick exhalation and a wink in your direction, she expels a thin smoke arrow that lodges itself into the center.

Room View: the image of a smoky taffelberry-laden bush

You see: You release a round puff of smoke from your mouth in the shape of a flowering taffelberry bush. The blooms open and drop off, leaving plump berries ripening on the smoky branches.

They see: Glaerith releases a round puff of smoke from her mouth in the shape of a flowering taffelberry bush. The blooms open and drop off, leaving plump berries ripening on the smoky branches.

At person: Glaerith releases a round puff of smoke from her mouth in the shape of a flowering taffelberry bush. The blooms open up and drop off, leaving plump berries ripening on the smoky branches. They dangle enticingly in front of you.

(Maybe other people see them drool!)

Room View: a fat smoky bullfrog

You see: A large puff of smoke rolls out of your mouth to form a fat bullfrog. Its mouth opens in a silent croak as its tongue flicks out to catch an invisible bug.

They see: A large puff of smoke rolls out of Glaerith's mouth to form a fat bullfrog. Its mouth opens in a silent croak as its tongue flicks out to catch an invisible bug.

At person: Glaerith puffs out a ball of smoke that forms a fat bullfrog. Its mouth opens in a silent croak as its tongue flicks out to snatch an invisible bug off of your nose.

Room View: a smoky miniature of the town of Arthe Dale

You see: You exhale a complicated form of smoke that resembles the Halfling town of Arthe Dale. Diminutive residents of all races pass through the main gates, columns of smoke rising from the chimneys of the knolls.

They see: Glaerith exhales a complicated form of smoke that resembles the Halfling town of Arthe Dale. You can almost make out the diminutive forms of travelers passing through the gates as columns of smoke rise from the chimneys of the knolls.

No at person.

~Tartsnatcher Glaerith
Smoking and teaching.. 07/24/2003 09:50 AM CDT
so, how much more practicing does it take to go from master to master* ? or is there a different requirement to be able to teach an image?

Edieata
Re: Smoking and teaching.. 07/24/2003 11:43 AM CDT
<<so, how much more practicing does it take to go from master to master* ? or is there a different requirement to be able to teach an image? --Edieata >>

I didn't time or count any of mine, but it didn't seem like it took any longer to get to master* than it did any of the other levels. You do need the asterisk to teach though.

--aka Mykk
Re: Smoking and teaching.. 07/24/2003 12:19 PM CDT
Seeing as I just spent a week training every image there is (besides Fizzia's), I can tell you all about this. sigh

It takes 10-15 cigars to train an image from wheezer to master, with 5 levels to advance. I found out you don't get the prior knowledge of smoke images unless you choose a guild - my smoker is a commoner. What a pain. Anyway, 2-3 cigars per level is about right. Just be glad you don't have to learn all 20 from wheezer :)

~Ahkshan, cousin of a new mess of Olvi
Re: Smoking and teaching.. 07/24/2003 01:34 PM CDT
<<you don't get prior knowledge of smoke images unless you choose a guild>>

that is untrue.

you just need to be an olvi. I have a commoner olvi that was Master of deer image as soon as she was rolled up. :-) The others you have to work on though. Same as a guilded olvi <my olvi bard started out with the same level of competence in smoking as that character when Olvi first got the "smoking" thing>

~stabbity,whiff,thud~
Re: Smoking and teaching.. 07/24/2003 04:47 PM CDT
I rolled up an Olvi 2 weeks or so ago. He didn't know any smoke images at all. I don't know why your commoner was different, but mine had to be taught every image.

~ Ahk
Smoking and the Phoenix 08/16/2003 11:26 AM CDT
Hello all -

It has been brought to my attention that the Olvi who knew the phoenix image is no longer around.

Would hate to see that image lost forever, therefore I'm pleased to announce that Artisan Bungles will be around Sunday afternoon at some point to teach his fellow Olvi this lost image. (He'll probably have lots of tarts to serve as well.)

Please give me an idea if you will be able to make it. If Sunday is a bad time for some of you, then perhaps Bungles can be persuaded to stop again during the week. Spread the word to your fellow Olvi who perhaps don't read the postings here.

As usual, he can be found close to his hummock located at Berry Knolls, Blueberry Lane.

Cheers -
Morzy
Re: Smoking and the Phoenix 08/16/2003 11:34 AM CDT
yeah!

will try to be there.

Basgonif, olvi bard

~Weak of arm,lousy roars;
terrible aim, awful health;
broken fingers, no real stealth;
leave em dead,cause you cant do more;
lost your coins,on the floor;
greetings! now you're out the door~
>
Re: Smoking and the Phoenix 08/16/2003 12:38 PM CDT
Oh right, I forgot... I'll definitely be there in one form or another. Do we have any idea when on Sunday afternoon?

Primary Magic: 5 31.91% clear

You say, "Sweet! Spell slots here I come!"
Re: Smoking and the Phoenix 08/16/2003 01:03 PM CDT
Flail! RL keeps interferring with my DR time! *flail more!*

This sunday afternoon, I am supposed to be going to a RL gathering of local area DR players. One of whom I have yet to meet. (New people! Yay!)

Please, please, please let Bungles come out again!

~Taffei____
It's all about balance. Tart in one hand, ale in the other. There! I'm balanced! :)
http://www.taffeisjournal.com
Re: Smoking and the Phoenix 08/16/2003 01:04 PM CDT
What great news Morzy. Ive long been starving to learn another smoke image. Im glad that this 'lost' image was taught to Artisan Bungles before the original puffer walked to road. What a sneaky guy to keep it secret all this time!

Sunday isnt good for me at all. I would love the experience of learning this image straight from the source, but if the date cant be moved, I understand. Hope someone else will track me down and teach it to me. Otherwise, Monday night would be great!

-Merry Meragin
Hedonistic Halfling
Re: Smoking and the Phoenix 08/16/2003 01:34 PM CDT
I'll be there! Woohoo! I would love this image!

~Eoworfinia~
"In waking a tiger, use a long stick."
- Mao Tse-tung
Re: Smoking and the Phoenix 08/16/2003 01:49 PM CDT
If you can't make it to hang out with Bungles, i'll gladly teach the image to whoever wants to know it once I have it down (which shouldn't take long at all).

~ Mulious

Re: Smoking and the Phoenix 08/17/2003 03:46 PM CDT
And yet another post from the overenthusiastic Olvi.

Congratulations to everyone who attended today's event in Bungles' backyard - learning the 21st smoke image! I hope you're all as excited as I am, you sure seem to be as we sit here smoking away.

I'd like to give a big thanks to Morzy and Bungles. You guys are great, and thank you for sharing this knowledge with the rest of us. I feel knowledge is made to be shared, and you managed to save this tidbit from being lost forever.

Now, as for the 22nd image...

Yes, i'm talking about the bracelet. Fizzia's image. Now, call me cruel, but I don't think it's very fair that one person in the realms should know all the images available while everyone else sits around them and drools. Therefore, I posed this to the Olvi with me at this gathering and, due to their agreement, am posing it to you - I suggest that nobody teach Fizzia the phoenix image until she shares the bracelet.

Now, I know some people are going to hate this suggestion including Fizzia and her close friends. I'm not trying to be mean to anyone. Rather, I feel it quite just that if Fizzia would like to keep her 21st image to herself, it's only fair that everyone in the realms have the availability of knowing 21 smoke images, no more, no less. If someone doesn't quite understand where i'm coming from, please contact me and i'll be glad to elaborate.

As for the phoenix image, I'm pretty sure i'll have it mastered within an hour or so. If anyone wants to learn it and can't find someone to teach them, contact my pigeon, named croleva.

Thanks for reading,

Mulious

Re: Smoking and the Phoenix 08/17/2003 10:19 PM CDT
>>I suggest that nobody teach Fizzia the phoenix image until she shares the bracelet.

I don't really think this is the thing to be doing to Fizzia. She -won- the competition, she has the right to keep her image to herself if she wants to. The bracelet is her design and the GM's compeitition made it so that it would be exclusively hers. We should not penalize her as a population for winning a competition and enjoying the rewards of it.

Former Empath Shaunn
Re: Smoking and the Phoenix 08/17/2003 10:43 PM CDT
<< We should not penalize her >>

I don't really think that knowing the same number of smoke images as everyone else is a penalty of any sort.

Re: Smoking and the Phoenix 08/17/2003 11:06 PM CDT
<<Yes, i'm talking about the bracelet. Fizzia's image. Now, call me cruel, but I don't think it's very fair that one person in the realms should know all the images available while everyone else sits around them and drools. Therefore, I posed this to the Olvi with me at this gathering and, due to their agreement, am posing it to you - I suggest that nobody teach Fizzia the phoenix image until she shares the bracelet.>>

Nice. Can't wait for Fizzia's player to read this. Since Gonif chose to continue this awful idea in the Social-General Discusssions folder too, I'll start off repeating what I said there:

"Two words: Lame. Petty.

If you (anyone) wants to own multiple accounts and/or play 20 hours a day 7 days a week so you can "win the game" by having every possible ability in the game, and it burns you to only know 21 of 22 smoke images--those all important super-secret Olvi abilities--then I say Good. Hope you lose sleep at night.

The good news is I doubt Fizzia, or her player, care half as much about the Phoenix image, as you seem to about her Bracelet image, which she won in a contest."

But in this folder, where I hope my rambling is more accepted, I'd like to add:

Some people have a pretty weird sense of what's "fair" in this GAME. You're worried about a smoke image??? I laugh at you. I've "won" this game many times over without hope of ever attaining most abilities out there.

You don't know why her player doesn't teach it. You don't know why Fizzia doesn't teach it.

People 'sitting around her and drooling'? What people??? LOL. She knows who her friends are. And they don't seem too worried about her image. If I were her (and don't worry, she's much nicer than I am), I'd have a new reason not to teach it.

Maybe the player gets a kick out of knowing that after 6 years of playing, given the fact she's a part-time player who splits what little time she has between many characters, that she's got an ability that none of you multi-account, 140 hours/week players can get. Not even Galain. Not Ruf. Not Cloudcrest. Just wee little Fizzia. I know I would.

She won an image in a contest, and people are upset about it. I have to laugh again. Not like she won a spell, a roar, or something like that.

Okay, I guess I'm vented. Anyone wants to take me on, though, I'll be happy to ramble on some more ;-)

--aka Mykk (that means Mykk's player for you newer players)

ps. Mykk would teach Phoenix to Fizzia as soon as he learned it (assuming she likes it), so apparently some of you should take that into consideration.
Re: Smoking and the Phoenix 08/18/2003 12:44 AM CDT
Hiya Mykk's player. I kinda knew you'd be posting on this.

You know, I would think that by now you'd realize DR has more of a community going than any other online game most of us have played. DR was my first RPG and prior to it I had played many other strategy, FPS, and other games online. None has such a community as DR.

As for Fizzia's image, well, i'm glad you get a kick of people being jealous of her. We haven't met IG or otherwise, so I don't really know if you're the kind of guy who enjoys watching other people get annoyed, but so it seems. Yes, she won a contest. Yes, it's her right to do with her image as she chooses. Do you think for one second, however, that when Fial gave her the right to a smoke image nobody else knew that he intended for her to be so selfish with it?

I think not, simply proven by today's events. If the phoenix was meant for the winner of the contest only, then it would not have mattered that he left the realms. Instead, Bungles came about today and taught it to a group of us and we all had quite a good time.

You're entitled to your opinions of me and everyone else who plays DR and i'm glad you got to vent :) Just don't be so shocked when you find out that other people have opinions that differ from your own.

Thanks for reading,

Mulious

P.S. Congratulations on "winning" DR, whatever that means... I just have fun, no win necessary :)

Re: Smoking and the Phoenix 08/18/2003 05:34 AM CDT
Wow..

I am disgusted that you would say what you did, Akshan. I don't know one single Olvi player who was around when the new smoking system was introduced that is "sitting around drooling all day" over something that she made the effort to win. Responding to each of the points you stated is pointless as it's obvious that you are just going to respond with cheap shots in an attempt to belittle, but I want to voice my opinion that I wholeheartedly disagree with what you want done. I would much rather see new smoke images introduced than to have one person's unique one taken away from her.

-Sarvatt's player, muttering something about the selfishness of people these days.
Re: Smoking and the Phoenix 08/18/2003 06:27 AM CDT
>>I just have fun

Obviously by petitioning to prevent everyone from sharing stuff with someone else. ;)

This is the funniest conflict ever. Thanks for making my morning, guys.

Need a babelfish for DragonRealms?
http://www.bakshiloa.com

Re: Smoking and the Phoenix 08/18/2003 09:53 AM CDT
<< I don't know one single Olvi player who was around when the new smoking system was introduced that is "sitting around drooling all day" over something that she made the effort to win. >>

Perhaps you should meet a few more Olvi. I know quite a few, including a good friend of mine, who have been playing for over 5 years and feel the same way. Like I posted in response to Mykk, you're entitled to your opinions, just don't expect everyone else to agree with them. If you believe they should... well, that's a completely different level of ignorance.

I don't expect people to accept my opinions about the bracelet image and praise it on high. I just want to make it known, which would be why I did something silly like post it on the boards. Who would ever think of posting an opinion there? ::rolls eyes::

Off the topic, why do people find it so hard to spell my name right, especially on the boards? Not like it's not right there in front of you...

~ Player of Ahkshan (previously posting in this thread as Mulious anyway)

Re: Smoking and the Phoenix 08/18/2003 11:22 AM CDT
>>Do you think for one second, however, that when Fial gave her the right to a smoke image nobody else knew that he intended for her to be so selfish with it?<<

I do actually. That is why Fial and Morzy waited until they were certain that the contest winners of both Web and Phoenix were truly gone from the game before they opened the images up publicly to all olvi. The GMs chose to release the contest images to their owners specifically, rather than make it a universal release, so that the choice of what to do with that image remained with the contest winner.

I was lucky to have been one of the winners in that contest. It is "fair" then that I have this extra image, because that was the prize.

I have previously spoken to you, Ahkshan, both in game and in IM's about this, and I also gave you a few rare and one-of-a-kind pieces of tobacco that were also part of my contest winnings. I think we have different ideas of what is "selfish" and I find your post to be nothing but mean-spirited.

Fizzia Fuzzlewump's Player
Re: Smoking and the Phoenix 08/18/2003 11:39 AM CDT
<< and I find your post to be nothing but mean-spirited >>

Sorry, wasn't the intent.

<< I have previously spoken to you, Ahkshan, both in game and in IM's about this, and I also gave you a few rare and one-of-a-kind pieces of tobacco that were also part of my contest winnings >>

Yes, and yes. I still believe that such knowledge is made to be shared. Yes, you won the contest, yes, you're entitled to do with the prize as you choose. However, Mykk's player made a point that people are all about "winning DR" and other such sarcasm and I wonder why you can't just take pride in having won the contest without denying the Olvi race of something which, theoretically, could be shared with all.

Ahkshan definitely had a pleasant exchange with you in game and I by no means intend to undermine that by calling you names or anything immature like that. I feel like immature personal attacks are a bit beneath anyone old enough to understand the text that scrolls up their screen when they play DR. However, I also feel like i'm entitled to my opinion which I have expressed here, namely that the bracelet image is something that should be shared. Your choice not to is still your choice, but it's definitely not what I would do in the same situation. To pick on Mykk again (nothing personal), just playing the role(s) and keeping up with my friends IG makes me special enough, I don't need a smoke image for that.

~ Player of Ahkshan, Mulious, a couple of others

P.S. Thanks for taking the time to get the name right, Fizzia.

Re: Smoking and the Phoenix 08/18/2003 11:57 AM CDT

::ponders::

I don't think anyone is begrudging you your right to have and express your opinion. There is nothing wrong with you thinking it should be shared and saying so. There is nothing wrong with doing that if you were in that situation of being the winner.

However, it goes out of the bounds of just expressing your opinion when you try and get others to refuse to share with her.

If you feel so strongly that someone should share, perhaps the better example to set is the one of BEING sharing.

~player of the Apple-icious Olvi

Kinsmen, Steel, Stone.
www.stone-clan.com

Nin showrskilik dabru dangig kvuthen, "Derg ewn tharfe mate nin verdh suun nin kwin bowr, nin kwin bowr va nin verdh."
Re: Smoking and the Phoenix 08/18/2003 01:59 PM CDT
Ahkshan, I've been there as you gwethed as your trader, offering to teach smoke images for coin, then logged in your self-described "halfling mule" to teach anyone who replied. I find your eagerness to learn this image rather skeptical.

We should lobby for more smoke images if we want them, not fight over the one individual image that exists.

-Razzleberrie
Re: Smoking and the Phoenix 08/18/2003 02:52 PM CDT
Hi Razzleberrie,

True, I often teach images for coin. Yesterday I taught the phoenix image for free to quite a few players. Didn't charge anyone for it because it's new knowledge and, like i've said so many times before, knowledge is made to be spread. 10 people knowing a smoke image isn't quite enough to spread it. I've taught it to 2 Olvi so far and there will be a third later tonight that has contacted me by pigeon.

On another note, I have also attempted to lobby for more images. However, when I initially emailed Morzy about smoke images, the phoenix was the key issue at hand and Morzy jumped on it quicker than I had expected. (Have I mentioned my gratitude? Thanks again, just in case ::grin::)

Originally I thought the plan was to release another smoke image every few months. That obviously hasn't happened yet, but are there plans for as much in the future? Perhaps when Fial gets back? Is Fial getting back? When?

~ Player of ... yea, you know already

Re: Smoking and the Phoenix 08/18/2003 06:06 PM CDT
Look at it this way.

Fizzia won an alteration. A unique prize.

The extra-unique part of this prize is that it self-replicates to be given to others.

Now, does that mean it HAS to be self-replicated, or that it CAN be self-replicated?

Recently at the last auction, someone won a bag that constantly replicates candy after a certain amount of time passes. The person won it. The prize is constantly returning and more is being created. Does that mean this person HAS to give candy to everyone, since it's a possibility?

Need a babelfish for DragonRealms?
http://www.bakshiloa.com

Re: Smoking and the Phoenix 08/23/2003 12:31 PM CDT
Hey Mykk, I'm hoping you can teach me the phoenix image next time we meet up? Let me know and we can swap stories and tarts and drinks!

~ Phangor
S'kra Smoking Stress and Struggles 12/28/2003 09:55 PM CST
Greetings, I'm having a problem that I'm not sure is even a problem, and I think this may be the best place for me to seek an answer.

I was taught, by a kind Olvi smokeweaver, several smoke images to further enhance the dignity of my tobacco enjoyment. In doing so he told me that I was unable to match Olvi mastery in the images. This did not shock me, however what does disturb me is that I'm not sure I know the limit of my skill. I have, in an intensive training session overseen by Beeanna Donee, gone through a bit over two hundred fine rolled sungrown cigars, but in it all I seem to have naught to show for it save a nice aftertaste and a somewhat hoarse voice. I am at ameteur level of skill, and though after attaining amateur level I did further improve, to the point where I no longer accidentally exhale the most crude possible incarnation of the specific image I'm training, where it did before while still at amateur level, I do not seem to be improving any further than that. So, to my question.

Do any kind Olvi, or anyone else reading for that matter, know if amateur is the upward limit of my skill? I spoke with a demigod of the realms, who seemed to think otherwise, but he also bade me ask here. Dead fish and wrecked ships are interesting, but if it is possible, I would gladly spend the time and coin (which is nearing 3 platinum lirums as we speak!) to add some finesse to my smoke imagery.

Thank you one and all for your time and patience.
Re: S'Kra Smoking Stress and Struggles 12/28/2003 10:07 PM CST

Your SOL (S'Kra out of Luck)
Non Olvi can't get to proficient. sorry least we share. Most race only things... Are well.... Race only.

" GOT BEER "

Re: S'kra Smoking Stress and Struggles 12/28/2003 11:15 PM CST
s'kra & prydaen can only get to amateur.
rakash in moonskin can only get to beginner.

i think all the other races can get to 1 additional level.

Only olvi can get master and master* <to teach it>

---
A scavenger troll arrives, scouring the area.

The scavenger troll exclaims, "I dinks I like da' Moongate!"

The scavenger troll bends over and picks up the Moongate. After appraising it, the troll places the Moongate in its frayed knapsack
Re: S'Kra Smoking Stress and Struggles 12/28/2003 11:55 PM CST
Thank you for your input, however do you know for sure as non-olvi? I have heard of a few who have reached skill level 3 of a supposed 6, that said it was also said it took them a great deal of work. However I had also heard that S'kra might not be able to reach skill level 3.

I understand that smoke mastery is Olvi only, as evidenced by the movement and detail of the images they can use at mastery, but I'm not sure that means that smoke images in general are meant to be Olvi only, because if it were, it seems likely they would just not make smoke images teachable to non-Olvi.
Re: S'Kra Smoking Stress and Struggles 12/29/2003 01:44 AM CST
my main character is a s'kra mur. i'm positive. :-)

---
A scavenger troll arrives, scouring the area.

The scavenger troll exclaims, "I dinks I like da' Moongate!"

The scavenger troll bends over and picks up the Moongate. After appraising it, the troll places the Moongate in its frayed knapsack
Re: S'Kra Smoking Stress and Struggles 12/30/2003 01:07 AM CST
Thank you Gonitheef!

Actually I was referring to Enhancedcommoner with my post. Which is why I was asking questions that your post had already answered :) I could have sworn I posted that message long before it appeared, but either way thank you for your input! It is most useful, a shame though. Thank you again for your input. And of course yours Enhancedcommoner! Both of your information was indeed invaluable. :)
Smoking Help, Please...? 01/02/2004 04:10 AM CST
Accidentally posted this in the wrong folder a bit ago...so reposting it here in the right one!

Greetings!

Asked practically everyone I saw running around and no one could tell me how to do this...soooo, I decided to come to the ones that truly know how to smoke and ask! :)

Ok...am totally new to smoking, so please bear with me. Got a pipe and some tobacco, but it keeps saying the tobacco is too long to fit in the pipe. I try to break it, and it says it's too hard to break in it's current condition. Tried everything I know to get this stuff into my pipe...in other words...

HELP PLEASE I CAN'T SMOKE! <grin>

Any help from you wonderful OLVI would be appreciated, thanks!
Re: Smoking Help, Please...? 01/02/2004 10:56 AM CST
Light the tobacco then put it in the pipe after it's lit.

~ Ahk

Re: Smoking Help, Please...? 01/02/2004 04:45 PM CST
<<Light the tobacco then put it in the pipe after it's lit.~ Ahk>>

Ahhhh, worked! Thanks so much, Ahk! (didn't know we could pick up burning tobacco!)
Re: Smoking Help, Please...? 01/03/2004 06:23 AM CST

There is probably some good information here as well..

http://www.arthedale.com/olvi/smoking.html

Kinsmen, Steel, Stone.
www.stone-clan.com
Re: Smoking Help, Please...? 01/09/2004 05:08 AM CST
Our friend in Arthe now sells tobacco that will fit in your pipes. Please post if there are any further problems.

I know I haven't been posting on the boards of late, but I've been really busy. But I still have been reading them!

Morzy
Prev_page Previous 1 3