Re: Smoking Help, Please...? 01/09/2004 07:50 PM CST
Gracias! :D

Teesha

RandomDRDude: she goes through men like I go through toilet paper
GrlyGrl19: And your ass is probably the cleaner of the two afterwards.
Re: Smoking Help, Please...? 01/11/2004 12:09 PM CST
OH that is so little but so appreciated! I love the bee tobacco but hate that it won't fit in my pipe! Thank you!!!

~Eoworfinia~
Vyperz says, "I think the highlight of last night was when Jourok mooned us all in the shadewatch mirror"
Vyperz says, "his comment after that was "don't make Jourok have to drop his scevies again barnacles""
Re: Smoking Help, Please...? 01/11/2004 01:16 PM CST
Try breaking the tobacco.

Umatos, Player of
Re: Smoking Help, Please...? 01/12/2004 12:28 PM CST
Umatos,

That's the point. It was a pain breaking it. That's been fixed. :-)

Oh yea, I still LOVE those knickers of yours!

~Eoworfinia~
Vyperz says, "I think the highlight of last night was when Jourok mooned us all in the shadewatch mirror"
Vyperz says, "his comment after that was "don't make Jourok have to drop his scevies again barnacles""
The math of Smoking 07/19/2006 06:17 AM CDT
So in my effort to master all of the smoke images to a teaching level, I've come to a few realizations.

1) It takes a LOOONG time
2) It can get expensive, though it really isn't THAT bad in the long run
3) It takes a lot to get from Master to Master*
4) Besides the warm fuzzies, and the few people who want to learn to smoke... ya don't get much from it.
5) It is hard to tell if there is a difference in learning between cigars and tobacco.
6) It'd be really nice if there was a message that let you know you'd gotten better, instead of typing in smoke image after every RT is over.

I've gotten a tiny bit of mech lore out of the deal so far (I've learned 11 of the images to Master* so far), but aside from that, there has been zero skill gain through this process. Thankfully, being a bard, I'm able to sing an enchante while I'm doing it, so it isn't a total waste time-wise.

That said... I'll get into a few assumptions based on my past few mastered images.

Troll image and using sungrown cigars:
6 cigars to reach Master level from Streamer (25-27 inhales each)
11 cigars to reach Master* level from Master

Pixie image and using mint and vanilla tobacco:
6 tobacco to reach Master level from Streamer (25 inhales each, this didn't seem to vary like cigars)
8 tobacco to reach Master* level from Master

Horse image using mint and vanilla tobacco:
6 tobacco to reach Master level from Streamer

Using the average (rounded up to 16), and assuming Streamer level at all 19 images, that gives us the following numbers:

304 cigars to reach Master* in all
60800 copper spent at 2 silver each
7600 inhales (assuming 25 each cigar)
38000 seconds (assuming 5 second RT for each exhale, no wasted time, no time for lighting)

Time to Master* all 19 images: 10 hours 33 minutes 20 seconds

And ya can't do much during that time, since it is all spent in RT.

Some background stats that MIGHT have some effect on this, but I have no clue

Circle 11
Reflex : 12
Agility : 18
Wisdom : 18
Intelligence : 12

Mechanical Lore: 27
Perception: 16

Has anyone out there done any more testing on this? Wondering if any of my assumed calculations are in the ballpark.

Conclusion: I better get a nice title out of this! Where's my Blacklung?

Danner
Re: The math of Smoking 07/19/2006 07:53 AM CDT
If you want a non-halfling tester, feel free to contact me at HanryuDR. I love figuring out this kind of stuff.

~Ranger Hanryu, Sword of House Calibanor
>We are Rangers, all your releases are belong to us. ~ Sylvado
Re: The math of Smoking 07/19/2006 09:16 AM CDT
Is there someplace all the tobacco and cigars people find can be dumped. I usually just leave that stuff for the ground on the janitor. Is there something in Arthe Dale or the halfling section in Riverhaven that can be used like the charity chest in the cleric guild? Or maybe tobacco could be foraged and dried as part of the alchemy system.

flip
Flip what?

My website of cleric info: http://hometown.aol.com/kaliradr/myhomepage/profile.html
Re: The math of Smoking 07/19/2006 10:06 AM CDT
>Or maybe tobacco could be foraged and dried as part of the alchemy system.

Oh! Now that would be great! To be able to cure the tobacco leaves and everything! Can we Dremara, can we? huh? huh? please? please? please?

~Eoworfinia~
A snow goblin reaches down and gently pets your corpse, then quickly looks about to make sure no one noticed.
Re: The math of Smoking 07/19/2006 10:18 AM CDT
What I'd like is a tobacco plant that I can put outside my hummock in Arthe, and forage tobacco a couple times a day, which can then be dried. Heck, go even further and let me have a field that I can harvest! Allow the flavor/smell to vary so that we can, through trial and error, customize it how we want. I can see myself selling kegs of the stuff (Danner's Rum-basted Top Choice!) off Trader tables now.

Perhaps I have lofty dreams, but I'll be getting my bagpipes soon, and I'll need something new to badger GMs about for years.

Now get back on topic! :p

Danner
Re: The math of Smoking 07/19/2006 10:25 AM CDT
Well until the foraging system has that type of option, all you would be tobacco farmers, I'm going to start dumping any tobacco products I find in taverns on tables. Not very often but if you can get several people to start doing that you'll at least have a free source of tobacco to offset the cost a little. If you guys wants to list a specific tavern in each province feel free. Kalira is currently hunting in Ilithi but I have other characters that hunt in Zoluren and Riverhaven areas.

flip
Flip what?

My website of cleric info: http://hometown.aol.com/kaliradr/myhomepage/profile.html
Re: The math of Smoking 07/19/2006 10:35 AM CDT
That's not a bad idea really. While 6-7 plat isn't THAT much money, it will definitely take some determination to stick with it if you're a young olvi and have limited funds.

As far as which taverns and bars... for Crossing, how about the Half-Pint? Seems fitting enough. Unless you feel like making the trek out to Arthe and dumping it in the inn there.

The money/time input vs. output seems a bit skewed to me, since I doubt I'll find anyone who wants to pay me money to learn to smoke (since it does nothing for you besides add scroll, ignoring the RP use of course). Of course, I do have a smoking patron at this time who is buying me all my cigars and tobacco, since she wants me to teach her all the images. I don't think she realizes how much she's been spending <grin>.

Danner
Re: The math of Smoking 07/19/2006 10:38 AM CDT
Ok I'll put them in the inn in Arthe and I'll just post when I put them in there so you guys will know. Might be once a week or might be once a day depending on how much the critters drop and how much I play. ;)

flip
Flip what?

Re: The math of Smoking 07/19/2006 11:08 AM CDT
Aren't all you olvi thieves anyway? ;)

More seriously, try to find a thief to help you out if the expense is a problem. Black market tobacco works great.
Re: The math of Smoking 07/19/2006 12:26 PM CDT
Due to my stint as a paladin, as well as being a former Sheriff of Arthe, I take offense to the statement that all olvi are thieves, as well as your suggestion that I would ever use stolen tobacco! Hmph!

Danner
Re: The math of Smoking 07/19/2006 01:13 PM CDT
Yea, just pass it to someone else first, then get it to Danner.

~Eoworfinia~
A snow goblin reaches down and gently pets your corpse, then quickly looks about to make sure no one noticed.
Re: The math of Smoking 07/19/2006 01:48 PM CDT
As long as the person giving it to me didn't directly take it illegally, who am I to look a gifthorse in the mouth eh?

If I happen to find some cigs or tobac lying about on, say, that shelf over there... am I going to question how they came to get there? Will I question whether they were gained through illicit means or purchased legally, or taken from some poor goblin who just needed a smoke break? I don't know, put some down and we'll have to see what happens.

Oh, and I realized that sungrown cigars are only 1 silver, not 2 like I seemed to remember... so at the cheapest, it's around 3 plat to master all images, and that ain't that bad now that I think about it.

It's just the time that's the killer now.

I need some haggis tarts <wanders off>

Danner
Re: The math of Smoking 07/19/2006 03:45 PM CDT
Danner, were you inhaling, exhaling, inhaling, exhaling over and over with no pause or were you waiting a touch inbetween each? There is a timer on each image, though I've not the slightest how long it is, due to there not being any way to determine if your counter has gone up.

-Fuquois-

The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall.
Re: The math of Smoking 07/19/2006 04:36 PM CDT
>Oh! Now that would be great! To be able to cure the tobacco leaves and everything! Can we Dremara, can we? huh? huh? please? please? please?

I believe we talked about this in our meeting last month. It's on my list of "to check into", but no promises m'dear.

-GM Dremara :-)
Team Wedding
Olvi Champion
Member of ERLP & Official mascot owner

"Life is a journey... Enjoy the ride!"
"Smile.... people will wonder what you're thinking about!"
Re: The math of Smoking 07/19/2006 06:20 PM CDT
>I believe we talked about this in our meeting last month.

Tobbacco is the leading cause of memory loss. If anyone DARES to blame it on RL old age, you're going down! hehe

~Eoworfinia~
Re: The math of Smoking 07/19/2006 07:42 PM CDT
>Danner, were you inhaling, exhaling, inhaling, exhaling over and over with no pause or were you waiting a touch inbetween each? There is a timer on each image, though I've not the slightest how long it is, due to there not being any way to determine if your counter has gone up.

Inhale, exhale, wait for RT, pause 2 seconds, rinse, repeat.

Didn't know there was a timer... interesting. Wonder if I had some wasted puffs.

Danner
Re: The math of Smoking 07/19/2006 07:49 PM CDT
>Didn't know there was a timer... interesting. Wonder if I had some wasted puffs.

I think you definately wasted a good amount of puffs. Try another image with tobacco and pause 60 seconds between each exhalation.

-Fuquois-

The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall.
Re: The math of Smoking 07/19/2006 08:38 PM CDT
Set myself to blowin' an image every 25 seconds (30 second wait, triggered after the exhale), and it took me three bowls of tobac to get to master this time. Definitely looks like I was wasting a lot. Hmm.

Danner
Re: The math of Smoking 07/19/2006 10:23 PM CDT
What I did all those ages ago when it was released was to cycle through all of my images. As there were 22 available to me, generally the timer was expired on each specific image before I got back to it.

-Fuquois-

Re: The math of Smoking 07/19/2006 10:26 PM CDT
Wow... so, it only took 6 bowls and one more exhale to get from steamer to master*, huge difference.

Looks like it gets you down to 16 inhales before it is gone, due to some lost over time.

Danner
Re: The math of Smoking 07/19/2006 11:31 PM CDT
I still maintain that Arthe is an abomination without any tarts being sold there.
Re: The math of Smoking 07/20/2006 06:14 AM CDT
That'll change when we get tart kilns for our homes, and everyone sets up a table outside theirs trying to sell them to other Olvi.

Danner
Re: The math of Smoking 07/20/2006 10:12 AM CDT
I so love my tart making pouch! I'm never without a tart now. Well, unless I eat all the tarts in my pouch before it's willing to make me new ones. Then I have to make sure I have some on standby.

~Eoworfinia~
Re: The math of Smoking 07/21/2006 01:16 PM CDT
Danner, if you need capital look up the Dwarf. He's grumpy and crusty but he'll fund you when all is said and done.

Giter
Danner's Gnomic Bane
Re: The math of Smoking 07/21/2006 02:39 PM CDT
Why worry about tarts being sold in Arthe Dale, when you can get all the free tarts you want at the Arthe Hollow Inn?

A bouncing little olvi!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: The math of Smoking 07/21/2006 09:48 PM CDT
I still maintain that I am going to steal Eoworfinia's pouch.

"It's true. I have a first place ribbon in doing nothing. It's the same ribbon as last place. It's purple."
Re: The math of Smoking 07/21/2006 10:13 PM CDT
It's under lock and key!

~Eoworfinia~
Re: The math of Smoking 07/22/2006 04:41 PM CDT
I can woo you with promises of tansy tarts and cinnamon honey tobacco.

"It's true. I have a first place ribbon in doing nothing. It's the same ribbon as last place. It's purple."
Re: The math of Smoking 07/22/2006 09:16 PM CDT
Only bribe I'm taking would be the ruby-crusted pipe from the Ice Festival sold in The Kindred Spirit. hehe

~Eoworfinia~
Re: The math of Smoking 07/24/2006 07:44 AM CDT
Pipes should be wearable (worn in the mouth!), and show up in your look description with your features, around the beard area!

Oh, and cigars too. Though if ya aren't careful, and forget that it is lit, it should start your facial hair on fire.

Danner
Smoking Images 03/01/2008 10:23 PM CST
I am a Gnome. How well can I learn the images? Can I learn them better than adequite(sp)? And on another note. Is there anyone on Ratha that is willing to teach me another smoking image or two?

Nikor
Re: Smoking Images 03/02/2008 06:51 AM CST
I'm currently around Ratha and always happy to teach smoke images, just give a shout on the gweth. As for how good you will get, not sure how well gnomes get with smoke images. Maybe the gnomes could tell you.

~Eoworfinia~
Dartenian fades into view.
A horde of Lawrence Welk fans decend on the area.
Dartenian whimpers softly.
Re: Smoking Images 03/03/2008 05:20 PM CST
I also have all the smoking images mastered so if you ever see me wondering around i will be mroe then happy yo teach.

IMAGE - SKILL IMAGE - SKILL IMAGE - SKILL

deer - master* dragon - master* rabbit - master* pixie - master* kitten - master*
troll - master* horse - master* paladin - master* whip - master* cloak - master*
stump - master* fleas - master* daisies - master* unicorn - master* rams - master*
bandit - master* ship - master* grave - master* fish - master* web - master*
phoenix - master* * = Teachable Image

~Player of
Miir
Re: Smoking Images 03/04/2008 12:04 PM CST
I totally need to track you down for the phoenix. I'll even provide the cigars.

Meli
Re: Smoking Images 03/08/2008 10:21 PM CST
I'm also generally around on Ratha, or give Kraggur a shout and he can dig me out of the local bakery *wanders off in search of tarts*

~Vinalf
Re: Smoking Images 03/09/2008 02:40 PM CDT
Thanks I will do that. Hopefully I will see one of you as I wander around. I don't use gweth's. Too much noice on them.

Nikor