Prev_page Previous 1
We have kimono, why not obi? 01/29/2010 07:51 AM CST
I love the kimono my character wears. I wish we could get more that are in the house colors, but I would really love to see some obi in the game to go with the kimono. Obi silks tend to be far more intricate than kimono and have some amazingly beautiful embroidered patterns. I thought it would be fun if the obi were like those scarves by Adrienne where you could move it into a different style.

Here are a few things I wrote down that are far from polished but might be a start.

a violet silk brocade obi

Push obi
Tap- a violet silk brocade obi tied in the back with a plain cross knot

Turn obi
Tap- a violet silk brocade obi tied in the back with a simple knot that resembles a clam shell

Pull obi-
Tap- a violet silk brocade obi intricately tied to resemble an iris in full bloom

Roll obi-
Tap- a violet silk brocade obi decorated with a drum-shaped box knot

Pinch obi-
Tap- a violet silk brocade obi adorned with a formal blooming chrysanthemum-shaped knot

Wave obi-
Tap- a violet silk brocade obi that streams two long sashes from the back knot

Yank obi-
Tap- a violet silk brocade obi that is knotted to look like a rising phoenix

Prod obi-
Tap- a violet silk brocade obi bearing an intricate rose-shaped knot

Shake obi
Tap- a violet silk brocade obi secured with a wide knot shaped like a butterfly

Obi knots are so complex and beautiful, I think it would really add to kimono styles. You could even do a knot resembling the flowers of each of the provinces, or even a sacred flower like the sirese. Also, it would be awesome if there were some knots that only Elotheans could make. Just some thoughts.

-Milabeth
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 01/29/2010 03:46 PM CST
This is a fine suggestion except with the word sash instead of obi. In fact I think there are already sashes that work kind of like this?

I seriously hate the japanophilia thing the Elotheans have going on and it kind of killed any appeal the race had to me.

Rev. Reene

(Ventuul demonstrates a sneak attack to the face.)
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 01/29/2010 05:45 PM CST
What about mehe, the Gerenshuge word for belt, instead of obi or sash. I like the idea of having it be a distinctly Elothean object.

As for the Japanophilia thing, I kind of like having a bit of Asian flair in the game. So much of the game seems so European, which I understand is the intention, but even Medieval Europeans had contact with other cultures, so we will have to agree to disagree on that point.

-Milabeth
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 01/29/2010 07:43 PM CST
More usage of the Elothean language should be pressed for, and this should be followed through in other groups as well. I know that some elven bows are named in their own tongue, and I know the Horse Clan and River Clan are both called such in their own Ilithic language (Zaldi Taipa and Ilaya Taipa, respectively.)

- GM Dartenian
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 01/31/2010 02:15 AM CST
>>I seriously hate the japanophilia thing the Elotheans have going on and it kind of killed any appeal the race had to me.

Just out of curiosity, is it the Japanese influence or the actual word usage (kimono, katana) that you dislike?

I'm a little confused since other races are seriously influenced by RL cultures as well. I also agree that having strangely named items is annoying, but again that's definitely not Elothean only.

With regard to the obi, I would favor the word "sash" with perhaps the Gerenshuge word for sash in the item description. I can kind of accept the word kimono since it is a well known word in the English-speaking world that easily evokes an image of the particular type of robe being worn. I would probably still prefer just "robe" though, to get away from it feeling too Japanese (and keep the focus on the in game culture, which is not the same).

-- Player of Niieth
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 01/31/2010 03:01 AM CST
> Just out of curiosity, is it the Japanese influence or the actual word usage (kimono, katana) that you dislike?

For me, it's the direct word theft. When possible, I'd prefer words in the actual in-game language for racial items. While the majority of players understand what a kimono is, if you want it to be Elothean-themed, make it Elothean, not Japanese.

>
The guard stares at you and swears. The guard says, "I do not see why you even bother living."
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 01/31/2010 05:26 AM CST
>>For me, it's the direct word theft. When possible, I'd prefer words in the actual in-game language for racial items. While the majority of players understand what a kimono is, if you want it to be Elothean-themed, make it Elothean, not Japanese.

Yes, I can agree with this.

I'm mostly curious about Reene, since she seems really irked, and kimonos (and certainly katana) are relatively rare.

-- Player of Niieth
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 02/01/2010 09:37 AM CST
hmm... i think the only katana was in a gm home/office, i believe there's a white and a black masamune with matching sheathes.

You glance down to see a severed thumb in your right hand and a severed thumb in your left hand.
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 02/01/2010 09:44 AM CST
Not true, Magdar bought one at auction years ago.

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 02/01/2010 03:42 PM CST
>i think the only katana was in a gm home/office

And either Amorisse or Kameo won one at a token auction, I beleive one of the cruise ship ones. Have no idea where that one ended up though...

Kythryn
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 02/05/2010 01:14 PM CST
Regardless, some more katanas would be hot.

More Elothean/Japanese weapons in general, actually. Renshear bows, etc.

Maybe some of those sexy articulated ninja-style helms like Sorsha wore in Willow.

Ok really I need to lay off the caffeine :)

-Meanne
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 02/05/2010 01:14 PM CST
The helms are also seen stylishly modeled on the Shredder :)
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 02/05/2010 01:59 PM CST
>Regardless, some more katanas would be OOG.
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 02/05/2010 02:07 PM CST
In hindsight, the whole baldy elothean thing was kinda a giveaway on the whole japanese thing given Japanese feudal fashion.
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 02/05/2010 02:59 PM CST
>Regardless, half the items in DR are OOG.

Say what you really mean.

~ Kougen

Moon Mages: Ripping reality a new one since 586 BL
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 02/05/2010 03:15 PM CST
DR fails to establish a genre.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 02/06/2010 04:19 PM CST
One thing to keep in mind...

While I understand wanting to have IG language words for the items, on the other hand, folks have also complained about that. You're in discussion with someone, you see them pull out a hbreanur''gtehaiiiniikla'th and have no idea if they're pulling out a weapon or a silk robe. Since that would kinda change your response. Folks have complained about the racial weapons, and their characters not knowing what it is - since they should be able to immediately "see" a big sword, a halberd-type weapon, etc.

A kimono immediately calls to mind a specific type of garment (far more complex than just "a robe"), and allows your character to react immediately to what you the player know they're seeing, vs. wondering whattheheck that string of Gerenshuge is.

A katana is no different in that respect. Heck, you could make the same argument about a rapier, you know?

I'm not saying I don't understand and agree that it would be nice to have specifically Elothean named garments and weapons, but we do also have complaints when we go that route.

-V, rambling.

"Reject me not, sweet sounds! oh, let me live,
Till doom espy my towers and scatter them.
A city spell-bound under the aging sun,
Music my rampart, and my only one."
-Edna St. Vincent-Millay
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 02/06/2010 04:30 PM CST
>>m not saying I don't understand and agree that it would be nice to have specifically Elothean named garments and weapons, but we do also have complaints when we go that route.

I'm one of these people. Unique flavoring is fun, but it is silly that I have to appraise a Rakash weapons to know whether I am looking at a person-sized stick with an axe affixed to the head or a dart I can hide inside my sock.

Consider it one of the weaknesses of the medium, I suppose, but I really don't want to have to memorize these in-game language dictionaries to know what is what.

"I hate you so much right now." -GM Armifer
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 02/06/2010 07:23 PM CST
Anything with a racial name (Or other made up word) needs a VERY clear description, and that brings me back to the need of the ability to look at items on others...

Of course the other way to solve it is to make things that are clearly descriptive (A long curved sword) that in the look explain the "racial name" for it is a katana.

SEND[Abasha] It warms my heart to see three people die for a cupcake.
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 02/06/2010 08:41 PM CST
>Of course the other way to solve it is to make things that are clearly descriptive (A long curved sword) that in the look explain the "racial name" for it is a katana.

I would like this much better.
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 02/06/2010 08:54 PM CST
>>>Of course the other way to solve it is to make things that are clearly descriptive (A long curved sword) that in the look explain the "racial name" for it is a katana.

>>I would like this much better.

Squire Xalahai Zayasero, Player of
"This idea may have worked in another time and another place, but here it immediately fell on its face and went 'Durp durp.'" - Armifer
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 02/06/2010 08:57 PM CST
I don't necessarily mind racially-named items as long as there is also an indication of what the item is at the same time. For example, the iltesh. The TAP is "a razor-edged dueling iltesh." From the tap alone you know that it is an edge weapon. The LOOK goes on to describe more about it. That is how racial weapons should all be designed, IMO. I have never had a problem figuring out what an iltesh was at a glance because of that, but I still don't know what a raudawvz skefne is.

Rev. Reene

"The time will come when the sun will shine only on free men who know no other master but their reason." - Nicolas de Condorcet
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 02/07/2010 08:54 AM CST
FYI. Most the Rakash weapons DO describe what they are when you look at them. I dont want to hijack the thread, but Rakash weapons really are a poor example of this. Sure they could have a beefy-er TAP but from what I understand your complaining about having to RP the fact that you dont know what these weapons are, as a non-Rakash you shouldt know what they are. You see a metal tip on a long piece of wood, for all you know it could be a pike/poleaxe/halberd/2hb/etc.

an ilglaiks skefne
Look: Polished to a fine gleam the edges on this spear's black head bow outward slightly before meeting in a deadly point.

a duraka skefne
Look: This sixteen-hand spear's hollowed shaft enhances lift and allows it to float like a mist while in transit.

Play the game!
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 02/07/2010 11:38 AM CST
>>a non-Rakash you shouldt know what they are. You see a metal tip on a long piece of wood, for all you know it could be a pike/poleaxe/halberd/2hb/etc.

I'm going to strongly disagree with this.

My character may not know the exact role in Rakash culture it plays, and thus certainly wouldn't know the formal name of "An ilglaiks skefne" or whatever, but he can tell the difference between a pike/halberd/2HB as each has some fairly important structural differences. The real problem is as a player I have no clue if a ilglaiks skefne is a pike or a cupcake.

SEND[Abasha] It warms my heart to see three people die for a cupcake.
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 02/07/2010 02:38 PM CST
>> The real problem is as a player I have no clue if a ilglaiks skefne is a pike or a cupcake.

^^ This, pretty much.

The iltesh does not have this issue because its nature is right there in the TAP: It's a weapon with an edge designed for dueling. Based purely on those bits of information alone, you can make an educated guess on what an iltesh is and frankly probably be right.

All weapons with racial names should be designed like that.

Rev. Reene

"The time will come when the sun will shine only on free men who know no other master but their reason." - Nicolas de Condorcet
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 02/07/2010 09:00 PM CST
Gotta hate it when someone asks "What is that?" in a conversation. "What color is...umber?" is one example that comes to mind [someone asked this when pulling out a gem]. If you don't know what the word means...it's completely jarring to hear someone ask what something IS when in technicality they're staring right at it. In most cases it's laziness to not go to google, in racial items it's actually a problem that needs to be avoided.

If there's a spear that's named Schfkano, my character would probably call it a spear and not know it's called a Schfkano, but I should [as a player] know it's a spear first and foremost.
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 02/10/2010 01:25 PM CST
I personally am ok without further racially specific worded items...

However, having more masamunes/katanas etc would be pretty nice :)
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 03/09/2010 09:31 AM CST
I am in complete agreement with Reene. I lost all interest in elotheans when they transformed into a loophole to squeeze Japanese language items into the game. I don't have a problem with these items persay, what I dislike is using japanese words to name them. Unless Elotheans in Elanthia actually speak japanese, I don't think they would name their clothes and weapons in that language.
I would be more then fine with a katana for instance if it was renamed into an actual elothean word, but from the look it would be clear that the weapon is an elothean version of a katana. Japanese belongs on items as much as spanish or french does.
Giving elotheans a japanese flair is fine, Its really a problem of language with me.

Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 03/09/2010 09:45 AM CST
You do realize that english is like the king of language theft right? Rapier is spanish, and I'm pretty sure there are other items that are named from things taken from other languages. That's just a part of speaking english. If you are going to have issues with things from certain languages you should apply them to all and not some. Just my 2 kronars

Oderint Dum Metuant
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 03/09/2010 09:49 AM CST
>> I would be more then fine with a katana for instance if it was renamed into an actual elothean word

The only issue I have with this is the one that has been commented about for years, which is rapid identification by players of what their characters are seeing.

I'd be much more apt to react to some Elothean pulling out a Katana than I would them pulling a Besarea Chonan out of their sack.

That said, I remember their being a thread a few years back about new weapons being of names that are easily identifiable as weapons to a native English reader, or alternatively having some system that allows that to be seen, ala:

> l aristron
Aristron is holding a besarea chonan....
> look/weap aristron
Aristron is holding a besarea chonan (heavy edge) and wearing an awgravet ava (halberd) over his shoulder.

As long as there's a provision in the code to allow rapid identification of weapons or other notable items that are easily identifiable by look, but not by name, then I'm all for renaming items in accordance with native tongues.

Until then, I have no problem looking like a Japanese vogue model.

You wave your hand through the mist of the fountain and rub the wetness between your fingertips.
Rivalin says, "Yep, it's water."
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 03/09/2010 09:56 AM CST
Two things

1. You are absolutely right, English steals words left and right. For better or worse once we steal that word it becomes part of the english language, westernized and easily recgnoizable by any english speaker. Feel free to put any word into DR that was stolen so well most people dont even realize it, like as you said rapier. The fact that english absorbs words from other lanuages isnt a reason to add other language words that have not and may not ever be part of common english.

2. Yes I hate seeing people pull out Grtuy PHillork'se like everyone else. But what if it was "a long curved Khiloty with a tempered blade" or "a long tapered single edged Tolstoy". With a descriptive look that explained in detail the weapon so everyone would realize it looked like a katana? That I could live with.

Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 03/09/2010 10:23 AM CST
<<You are absolutely right, English steals words left and right. For better or worse once we steal that word it becomes part of the english language, westernized and easily recgnoizable by any english speaker. Feel free to put any word into DR that was stolen so well most people dont even realize it, like as you said rapier. The fact that english absorbs words from other lanuages isnt a reason to add other language words that have not and may not ever be part of common english.>>

"Katana" and "kimono" are words fairly commonly recognized by english-speakers, especially heavy readers and gamers, which are categories I suspect many DR players fall under. As long as everyone knows what it is it's not something to worry about IMO.

"NO."
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 03/09/2010 10:34 AM CST
For some reason, these discussion always make me think of this (nsfw-ish language):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Qh3tWImXM

The Moose
"My advice? Run to a safe room, then re-roll. It's guaranteed awesome."
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 03/09/2010 11:25 AM CST
Its not a question of people knowing what it is, so much as people associating a word with a foreign language and culture. When you say rapier people just think the sword, maybe some swashbuckling pirates. When you say Katana, people think Samurai, bamboo and pajamas. Words like Kimono haven't been "Adapted" long enough.People know what they are but also consider them exotic and foreign. Masamune isn't considered english by any definition and honestly I dont even know what a masamune is.
Its really very simple, the only "real world" language that should be in DR is english.

Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 03/09/2010 12:05 PM CST
>Words like Kimono haven't been "Adapted" long enough. People know what they are but also consider them exotic and foreign.

This. While If i took 5 seconds to think about it I might recall the origin of Rapier, Scimitar, etc. but no, at a glance the images of of musketeers or deserts and camels do not cross my mind.

Katana and Kimono very strongly strikes sushi and naruto and Akiyama Rina (hawt) into my mind.

P.S./derail Masamune is a swordsmith, and it is as accurate to refer to a sword "Masamnue" as it is to refer to a car "Toyota". Hence it is extremely jarring if what people say about Masamune being in game is true. Alternatively it refers to some legendary one-eyed general during 14~19 years of age conquered about 1/6 of Japan-proper.
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 03/09/2010 12:21 PM CST
<<While If i took 5 seconds to think about it I might recall the origin of Rapier, Scimitar, etc. but no, at a glance the images of of musketeers or deserts and camels do not cross my mind.>>

<<Katana and Kimono very strongly strikes sushi and naruto and Akiyama Rina (hawt) into my mind.>>

I suppose it's different for everyone - personally speaking, when I think 'katana' I see a katana. When I think 'kimono' I see a kimono. When I think 'scimitar' I see a scimitar. If I think beyond the object I see plenty of OOG stuff, but something similar happens when I repeat the process for repeating crossbows (Chu-ko-nu), chewing gum, fireworks, etc.

That's why I'm of the opinion that katana doesn't quite cross the line.

"NO."
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 03/09/2010 12:26 PM CST
I always think of Sinbad when I see Scimitar
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 03/09/2010 04:38 PM CST
heh. you think you have it bad. try pulling out a hhrsk'hhrsysslata without breaking your teeth.

the world is broken
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 03/09/2010 05:08 PM CST
I'm waiting for the Ilithi trader's guild to recall their rented caravans and sue the Elothean houses for faulty brakes.
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 03/09/2010 05:14 PM CST
What is up with all the threadromancy?

Anyway:

>With a descriptive look that explained in detail the weapon so everyone would realize it looked like a katana? That I could live with.

I could not live with this. Verbose description in place of concise terminology is a worse violation of the English language than flagrant use of potentially jarring words like 'katana,' 'pearls before swine,' and 'tanzanite.'

Dragonrealms has more than enough bloated prose to scare Dickens, as it is.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Prev_page Previous 1