Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 03/09/2010 08:23 PM CST
>> Verbose description in place of concise terminology is a worse violation of the English language than flagrant use of potentially jarring words like 'katana,' 'pearls before swine,' and 'tanzanite.'

He means that "a razor-edged dueling iltesh" is instantly recognizable as a specific kind of weapon despite being called an "iltesh" where "a grusana kaft" is not recognizable as anything but gibberish.

And I agree, all racial weapons and items should be named in a style similar to the iltesh.

Rev. Reene

"Oh, I'm not omniscient -- but I know a lot."
- Mephistopheles, Faust
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 03/09/2010 08:35 PM CST
>He means that "a razor-edged dueling iltesh" is instantly recognizable as a specific kind of weapon despite being called an "iltesh" where "a grusana kaft" is not recognizable as anything but gibberish.

I'm too lazy to go back and check if I did or not, but the part I was quoting was about calling something, for sake of argument, 'a razor-edged deuling iltesh' and throwing description at it until it was clear upon looking at the item that it was a Katana without ever invoking the word.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 03/09/2010 08:41 PM CST
For a katana I'd try "an ivory-hilted parkarea nijare with a slender folded-steel blade" or something.

Rev. Reene

- Mephistopheles, Faust
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 03/09/2010 08:51 PM CST
Your both right. I said that these properly done racial weapons can have descriptive names like the iltesh. I also said that that some racial weapons can have long looks to better describe them. I'm not a fan of huge descriptions either but its an attempt at compromise. I don't like funky names or long descriptions but by far I prefer that too just sticking in japanese words (or other foreign languages).
I completely understand and empathize with the desire for racial identity, and an asian themed culture can be pretty cool...if done right. It should be asian FLAVORED, tinged with the culture but being unique as well; almost sort of like an in joke. Not everyone should get it, shouldn't be in your face but subtle. In a way giving things a japanese name is like taking the easy way out. Its like slapping an elven label on chainmail or silk without any explanation of what makes chainmail "elvish".
I kinda rambled a bit there but I hope you get the gist of what I'm saying.

Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 03/09/2010 09:40 PM CST
>"an ivory-hilted parkarea nijare with a slender folded-steel blade"

The equivalent length of names on the custom halberds from Rossmans depress me.

...but I have one anyway because there's no real alternative if you want a 'glaive.' I still feel bad whenever I attack with it, but the desire to throw up in my mouth is mitigated just enough by the cool factor of the noun 'glaive' buried in there.

...I ordered it folded steel and pretend it is a naginata.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 03/09/2010 09:42 PM CST
I don't see a problem with long TAPs as long as the information it's conveying is actually useful and not just "an exquisitely tailored nightsilk cloak dyed the ever-shifting hues of eventide" or something equally purple and moronic.

Rev. Reene

- Mephistopheles, Faust
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 03/12/2010 09:51 AM CST
< "an exquisitely tailored nightsilk cloak dyed the ever-shifting hues of -eventide-"

Why you hate. :(

-Iskhhr

""Explanations are ephemeral. They are the sword and shield of the attack, and behind them hides motivation."
Re: We have kimono, why not obi? 03/12/2010 10:48 AM CST
I did that specifically for you and I was wondering when you'd notice <3

Rev. Reene

>poke eyes
You can't poke the Eyes of the Thirteen.
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page