Prev_page Previous 1 3
Houses 06/02/2005 03:34 PM CDT
Have the Houses always been around since the inception of the game or were they released later. My Elothean has been around on and off since the AOL days and I don't remember much information about them from back them. I don't remember the character descpritions when I developed my character history and house (that doesn't mean they didn't exist)but I've found she isn't quite right. What should I do? A quiet shift or adjust my history.
Any advice?
Re: Houses 06/02/2005 05:05 PM CDT
>I don't remember the character descpritions when I developed my character history and house (that doesn't mean they didn't exist)but I've found she isn't quite right. What should I do? A quiet shift or adjust my history.

I wouldn't really worry to much if you don't look exactly how a typical member of a house is described. It's my understanding that, with a few exceptions, the descriptions of what house members look like is just a generalization. Not everyone in a house will neccesarily look as described. The book "Elothean Studies" says a lot of things like "most members of the house" and "often house members are born with." It doesn't say always, except in the case of Ivory Scroll. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I don't think appearance is a rule for each house; it's more of a general guideline.

Still, if you decide to go the route of a shift, I might know some people who know some people...

~ Gwynfydedig

Want to know more about the Battle Empath Council? Visit: http://www.geocities.com/saerhyn/ESC/BattleEmpath.html
Confused about the Empathic Alliance?
http://www.geocities.com/saerhyn/ESC/Coalition.html
Re: Houses 06/03/2005 01:24 AM CDT
I can't wait to see more with the House System! As well as merchants with real Elothean style clothes and the crests!

Great job !

A dark brown Zoluren marnet squeaks with excitement as it pursues a small insect across the surface of the water. A final lunge brings the hapless creature into the marnet's mouth where it is rapidly consumed.
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 06/03/2005 06:38 AM CDT
<<Hopefully those that supported the Outcasts will be banned from any house and exiled from Shard.>>

Considering the way the Outcast War ended I certainly hope anyone who supported the Outcasts is given a full pardon. While a full pardon would be very odd and illogical its certainly no more odd and illogical then the Outcasts getting homesick and the main Outcast rebel deciding he was going to take on everyone without any favors.
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 06/03/2005 07:25 AM CDT
Umm as many times as we HAD to kill Taber He had favors he just had been killed over a few dozen times since his time being around by resistance members. Just because people aren't in shard doesn't mean things didn't happen. Personally i feel those who supported the outcast choose a role and should stick with it. I guess being a Commander the betrayal stung. Full pardon to those who just supported fine.

For those who betrayed the three and thier own people? I think the elothean houses would frown on such actions if outright don't kill them for such actions. In my mind the Outcast were forced out and Raenilar did point out valid reasons, his guards were being murdered daily, they were very unwelcome and if they were to stay they would have to had to fight everyday of thier lives becuase some people wouldn't have given up.

I love the elothean houses and really do hope things are Rp'ed and play according to history on a lot of things concerning the houses. I think the houses open up a whole new area of RP for Elotheans and other races alike. So why stop Rping.

Those who pride themselves on being the Hunter can easily become the prey.
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 06/03/2005 08:06 AM CDT
In most cases I would agree with you and had the Outcasts legitimettly lost the war rather then having OCC pressures make them give up I would most certainly say those that supported the Outcasts should take their lumps and find themselves a nice Island home or find refugee in Murspr'i.

I just think the ending of the event felt forced and was pushed by OCC issues to just get the whole war over with and get Ilithi back to exsactly like it was as soon as possible. For that reason I would recomend a Pardon or a suspedning of any punishment until there is somewhere that Outcast supporters can find refuge.

Although, I will say this I can't imagine any IC reason why someone who supported the Outcasts would want to join a Elothean house. To make that much of a 180 makes little sense. Honesty, if you hated the three and hated the old Ilithi I can't see why all of a sudden you would want to reintagrate yourself back into it.
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 06/03/2005 08:31 AM CDT
How I see it: The Outcasts were trying to live in a place with a populous that hated them and neighbors that despised them and ex-allies that were problematic while the original factors that caused them to combine into a strong cohesive unit that followed Raenilar into battle and fight in ways they had never fought before desolved slowly, while new visions surfaced that indicated that things after the taking of the Shard might not be all rosey and Shard might not be the promised land so to speak or the best place for their people to be, while cultural forces wrecked their inevitable slow influences on the Outcast culture, while the Outcasts in Shard were separated from their Clans in the desert, and while they all got some first hand reminders of who they were and how they used to live watching Yhaman raid from the desert. Raenilar's decision is understandable.

I really do hope that those Elotheans that helped the Outcasts are not allowed to join the Elothean Houses. I can imagine why someone would do a total about face. IC: The world is full of scum that will do just that to be on what they think is going to be the winning side or retain some semblance of power. OOC: there are plenty of people are addicted to events and who will re-write on the drop of a hat just to chase a new event.

Mists and Magic, Ocean Breazes, Deep Rivers Under the Sea, Trails Between the Stars: Where nothing is as it seems.
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 06/03/2005 10:29 AM CDT
I hope the main focus stays where it should. That would be the developement of a new government and social structure. Elotheans are peaceful and highly intelligent beings who do not display excessive amounts of emotion. The days of finger pointing and yelling traitor are over.

~Halanny
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 06/03/2005 11:45 AM CDT
I agree with Halanny, and I think that an amnesty towards former traitors is in order. It would be an act of compassion worthy of Kukalakai, and set the tone for the future.
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 06/03/2005 04:07 PM CDT
I beg to disagree. When you read the books on the Elotheans you see that there is a very well defined hierarchy.

"First loyalty to your Ferdahl.
Second to the Three.
Third to your House.
Fourth to your children.
Fifth to your mate.
Last to yourself."

Each house also has pretty clear cut rules for what happens to someone that betrays and/or dishonors their house. You may wish to refresh your memory on how some of the houses deal with traitors. Elotheans appear to take treachery and betrayal and honor rather seriously.

Just because Elotheans are civilized does not mean that there are no consequences for one's actions. I hope you are aware that:

"In the history of the Elothean, the Ferdahl have committed ritual suicide or gone into exile -- turning their diadem over to an heir -- before dishonoring the Supreme Title."

I believe that the people that betrayed the Ferdahl should be considered at best house-less. There is no need for emotional behaviour. They just are of this class in the Elothean society due to the consequences of choices they made. They should at least show enough honor to accept and admit this.

"House-less Elotheans -- which make up approximately twenty percent of the Elothean people -- are called senka'i neir, which means "without footprints". Since
just about anyone can join a house with minimum effort, those who are senka'i neir are either a) outlaws or adventurers, b) loners or hermits c) outcasts (once of a House, but no more) or d) Lorethew (more on the Lorethew later)."

Clearly those that betrayed the Ferdahl would be in either catagory a, b, or c depending on their exact actions or lack there of.

Beyond that, there is this statement: "Elotheans are often peaceful people, and thus -- compared to Humans, Elven, S'kra, and especially the Gor'Tog -- have rarely gone into war. An Elothean will try to lead a sturdy debate before engaging in combat. It is whispered
amongst less-sophisticated courts that the reason Elotheans rarely resort to war is because of a secret society amongst them that takes care of the dirty
business of intimidation and assassination."

This information was all taken from the book 'Elothean Studies'.

Mists and Magic, Ocean Breazes, Deep Rivers Under the Sea, Trails Between the Stars: Where nothing is as it seems.
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 06/03/2005 08:44 PM CDT
I'll just pipe in and say that I do believe that folks that 'sided' with the Outcasts should need to accept the responsibility of their choices. For some, I think this would mean following the Outcasts into the desert to join and live with their new 'clan'. For some, I feel that a trial would be in order to determine what extent they collaborated with the people that slaughtered the Ferdahl. I think it is reasonable that the Houses would not wish to take in an Elothean as their own if there was a cloud of doubt over them.

That being said, I also feel this is a game. I think that folks that were 'associated' with the Outcasts should not be made to pay forever and a day for their choices if they decide they want to turn coat again...heh...I could see a trial and short exile 'absolving' their crimes thereby clearing them to join a House if they then wished to. I agree there should be forgivness, but people that collaborated with the Outcasts DID make a RP'ing choice to do that...I don't think we should sitck their heads on pikes or anything nutty like that, but its not unreasonable that they should have some repercussions for the choices they made.

I know I chose to be in the Ilithi resistance, and for a year, I got to beg for help from Rangers and MM's to get past the checkpoint, had to sneak into town if I wanted to talk to my guildleader, and in the past few months, was a target of the Outcast 'attacks'. I didn't cry foul, even though they were definately inconviences. It was all a result of my choice to do that...I think those helping the OC's got into it knowing what could happen. As long as the punishment isn't extreme and does not last indefinately, I think it's reasonable to have some repercussions.

Kythryn
~ Supposing you have tried and failed again and again. You may have a fresh start at any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford ~
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 06/04/2005 12:00 AM CDT
>That being said, I also feel this is a game. I think that folks that were 'associated' with the Outcasts should not be made to pay forever and a day for their choices if they decide they want to turn coat again...heh...I could see a trial and short exile 'absolving' their crimes thereby clearing them to join a House if they then wished to.

They can always reroll to join a house. DR is supposedly an RP game as such there needs to be consequences for actions. I think it's enough that we don't hunt down and walk any Eloth turncoats for being disloyal to teh Ferdahl.

'Slimy Yet Satisfying' - Miko Mido

Supreme Bunny Overlord Zairius
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 06/04/2005 05:43 AM CDT
<<DR is supposedly an RP game as such there needs to be consequences for actions.>>

Yeah except the reason the Outcasts lost is because SIMU cusomers simply would not accept the fact that the Outcasts had won and simply would not stop complaining until the GM's came to the conslusion that the aggravation of have the Outcasts in Shard was simply not worth it anymore and decided to bascily run a few interactions between GMNPCs and then on one day just make them all leave and go home.

More reaslictly the Outcasts would never have just gotten homesick and decided one weekend lets pack up our stuff and head on back to home. In a perfect world those that supported the Outcasts would be able to find sancuary in the Outcasts home. However due to a OCC ending to the event and there being no macanichs to support Outcasts supporters acaully finding scanuary I find it silly to say, well you were on the losing side of the battle so face the consequences. In a RP game the Outcasts would have walked all the resistors rather then just a beheading and a simple to skirt around exsile. Everybody always wants the full "RP" consequences when its comes to other people but when its them on the losing side of the battle its suddenly all about playability and fun.
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 06/04/2005 08:51 AM CDT
<<As long as the punishment isn't extreme and does not last indefinately, I think it's reasonable to have some repercussions.

They could always put their names on a list for 1 year RL and then behead them everytime they are found in Shard.

Or have Berric hunt them down from time to time and kill them while they sit there foraging grass.

Trebber
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 06/04/2005 09:19 AM CDT
<<Yeah except the reason the Outcasts lost is because SIMU cusomers simply would not accept the fact that the Outcasts had won and simply would not stop complaining until the GM's came to the conslusion that the aggravation of have the Outcasts in Shard was simply not worth it anymore and decided to bascily run a few interactions between GMNPCs and then on one day just make them all leave and go home.>>

I will always disagree with that being the only reason the outcast lost, sorta really discredits everyone who actually worked IG against the outcast for even doing anything. Most poeple feel if they weren't involved it wasn't happening but to each their own.

<<More reaslictly the Outcasts would never have just gotten homesick and decided one weekend lets pack up our stuff and head on back to home.>>

IG there i feel were many reasons why the outcast would go home. The climate in Ilithi is diffrent from the climates of a Desert by far. The simple day to day life styles are diffrent the things a desert tribe would do compared to those of the Clans living in Ilithi is extreamly diffrent. Added to that the fact most likely others were going to stop trade with the outcast, they were meeting with heavy resistance on a day to day bases thier guards were being murdered. They had a world against them with few allies, and given thier past alliance had been in a way betrayed in peace talks they had more enemies then i can count.

<<In a RP game the Outcasts would have walked all the resistors rather then just a beheading and a simple to skirt around exsile. Everybody always wants the full "RP" consequences when its comes to other people but when its them on the losing side of the battle its suddenly all about playability and fun.>>

As Kythryn stated those who resisted were met with force and hardships, Tabers main goal was to eleminate every one of the resistance members. Trust me he hunted us down all of us killing each one he found alone sleeping or not. Those of the resistance did choose the RP and accepted the good with the bad. I'm not talking about punishing those who supported the outcast who are other races they in my mind mostly left when the Outcast did. The whole point was to bring to light the Elotheans who worked against thier own people during the war and who spoke out against thier leaders in a harsh mannor. Honestly it would be acceptable if those elotheans and players were given a choice.

A) pay a 100 plat fine (or whatever amount)
B) exile from iltihi for how many IG years or months
C) lose rights to be members of houses all the perks and things to come with being in a house included.
D) Do none of the above "take thier ball and go home because things didn't go thier way" (which is always someones choice to refuse to participate in events period in my mind no one was forced into the resistance nor was anyone forced to support the outcast)
E) Let the Three and the Ferdahl decide thier fates.

To me being in a house is a honor for Elotheans from what i understand, Not a right. Given circumstances and choices of the people during the war Elothean houses if they choose to pick one should have the right to deal with them in the way they see fit. Their Loyalty as a race is clearly defined and i think that is a important aspect of Role playing a Elothean.

Those who pride themselves on being the Hunter can easily become the prey.
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 06/04/2005 10:28 AM CDT
<<A) pay a 100 plat fine (or whatever amount)
B) exile from iltihi for how many IG years or months
C) lose rights to be members of houses all the perks and things to come with being in a house included.
D) Do none of the above "take thier ball and go home because things didn't go thier way" (which is always someones choice to refuse to participate in events period in my mind no one was forced into the resistance nor was anyone forced to support the outcast)
E) Let the Three and the Ferdahl decide thier fates.>>

Acually I think something like this is a pretty good middle ground between those who want a full pardon and those that want to quarter, hang, and walk the Outcast supporters.

Although for the most part my arguments about pardons were about the player base as a whole who supported the Outcasts not just any Eloths who supported the Outcasts. I don't know the answer to this but thier can't be any more a couple like less then five Eloths who acually supported the Outcasts. It has to be a pretty hard sell if you are an Eloth to have turned agisnt your own people for someone who wants to see all your people dead.
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 06/04/2005 12:55 PM CDT
<<It is whispered amongst less-sophisticated courts that the reason Elotheans rarely resort to war is because of a secret society amongst them that takes care of the dirty business of intimidation and assassination."

CoughGreyCouncilCough

Out of all seriousness, I think they (the events/race GM's) may be going that way. If you look into into a little more, perhaps your characters can get more information than some did in meeting the Three. However, both IC'ly and OOC'ly, I very much believe the Grey Council is about, live and very angry. However, I disagree killing people now is as effective as killing people when the war was goingon in Shard...it seems counter-productive, and is stirring MORE emotions. But, it is an interesting plot twist and will proove to be good RP down the road.

a small engraved token
A golden diadem hangs suspended in cerulean field. Perfectly engraved diamonds and citrines adorn this symbol of the ruling House of the Elothean people.

<<I'll just pipe in and say that I do believe that folks that 'sided' with the Outcasts should need to accept the responsibility of their choices. For some, I think this would mean following the Outcasts into the desert to join and live with their new 'clan'. For some, I feel that a trial would be in order to determine what extent they collaborated with the people that slaughtered the Ferdahl. I think it is reasonable that the Houses would not wish to take in an Elothean as their own if there was a cloud of doubt over them.

As someone whom RP'ed on the 'side' of the Outcasts during the war, I agree with the generality that any Elothean character whom supported them should be looked at with...speculation. On the other hand, I can vouch for some of these characters and say: Raenilar wanted nothing to do with Elothean PC's whom wanted to help the Outcasts. He knew enough about their social structure and made it a point to tell my character not to use intelligence gathered from 'friendly' Elotheans. He also said not to be-friend them, trust them, etc...for that reason, to play devil's advocate, I feel all Elotheans should be allowed to join the houses but, in later RP -- maybe investigate their roles, etc.

<<Although for the most part my arguments about pardons were about the player base as a whole who supported the Outcasts not just any Eloths who supported the Outcasts.

If the new Ferdahl wanted to exile players, I imagine her realm would be only of Shard (like the Outcasts), and I would agree to it. However, on the same hand, I imagine King Raenilar would also be helping my character due to their business relationship and their friendship...when both parts of the deal are reached, I'll talk business. Until then, for the sake of playability for all people, let any Elothean join the houses (since in reality, people have RP'd being apart of them anyway) and down the road let trials be for the 'traitors', both Elotheans and non-Elotheans, as long as the system supports both sides.

~The Blackfire Mage Magmus
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 06/05/2005 01:09 AM CDT
Personally I could see people sympathizing with the Outcast people wanting to return to their homeland. But, that's from an OOC view of point since my character doesn't.

A dark brown Zoluren marnet squeaks with excitement as it pursues a small insect across the surface of the water. A final lunge brings the hapless creature into the marnet's mouth where it is rapidly consumed.
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 06/05/2005 11:32 AM CDT
Not letting Outcast supporters join houses is nothing about punishing the 'losers'. Even if Shard was still in Outcast hands the houses still wouldn't let those disloyal to the Ferdahl into houses.

'Slimy Yet Satisfying' - Miko Mido

Supreme Bunny Overlord Zairius
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 06/05/2005 12:55 PM CDT
Something like you committed the ultimate act of dishonor and still think you can call yourself an samuri and be accepted by your daimyu, in Japan in middle ages? (Think I spelled that right)

Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 06/08/2005 08:31 AM CDT
just a quick thought...

Thank you for this system, even if I don't know much about it yet. I have been struggling with the lack of RP in DR and this is a nice step in the right direction. Thanks.

Amala/Lilie
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 06/13/2005 09:20 AM CDT
Are Eloth Houses open in the TF instance of DR?

~Mibe
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 06/13/2005 12:53 PM CDT
Not that I see at the moment, but checking into that.

-Vaeldriil

"Reject me not, sweet sounds! oh, let me live,
Till doom espy my towers and scatter them.
A city spell-bound under the aging sun,
Music my rampart, and my only one."
-Edna St. Vincent-Millay
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 06/13/2005 01:23 PM CDT
also, where can i find an IG book about the houses?
I like titles.

~Mibe
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 06/13/2005 07:04 PM CDT
The scroll is now in TF, and you can find a book about the Houses by going to the library in the basement level of the Great Tower. :)

~GameMaster Nhia
Elothean Champion Duo
Weddings Team

"I was married once in an online fantasy game. We were thinking of having children, but it would have severely drained my power crystals." -- The Simpsons, comic book guy
Houses 09/20/2005 09:17 PM CDT
How is it possible to join a house?
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 09/20/2005 09:42 PM CDT
House of the All Seeing Eye

Should we wait or give up hope?
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 09/20/2005 09:47 PM CDT
<<House of the All Seeing Eye>>

<<Should we wait or give up hope?>>

If I'm not mistaken, this is something of a legendary house. It doesn't even "officially" exist. I doubt it would be open for anyone to join in the same way the other Houses are.

-Fierolan's player
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 09/20/2005 09:52 PM CDT
Out of curiosity, if there is a way to join, I'm not asking how.... I just want to know if there is or isn't, so I dont spend weeks looking for something that doesn't exist

If you know, please just give me a yes or no
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 09/20/2005 10:18 PM CDT
I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to your question. My guess is that there is no mechanics-supported way to join the Melyo Rensh'a.

-Fierolan's player
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 09/21/2005 12:32 AM CDT
There is no current way to join the house of the all seeing eye.It has been said that at some point in the future it may be possible but not under the current join house mechanics.Since all seeing eye is a special case as is glittering diadem there would be additional reqs for joining those houses if they ever allow it at all.That is a paraphrase of the elothean gurus posts but i didnt feel like hunting them down.
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 09/21/2005 01:28 PM CDT
Thank you so much for that info as well, it is much appreciated.
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 09/21/2005 03:49 PM CDT
Yep, that's just about right. While room was left in the mechanics to make it possible, currently (and we no plans to have it otherwise) the House of the All-Seeing Eye and the House of the Glittering Diadem are not joinable purely via mechanics.

This doesn't mean *at all* that people have to stop roleplaying that they're in X House, they just won't have a big sign at the end of their name telling people about it -- which, in one of those Houses, you wouldn't want to have anyway. ;)

While I'm at it, I'm going to tease that something new, though relatively small, is coming for Houses. SOOOOOOOOOON. (Cue mystery music!)

~GameMaster Nhia
Elothean Champion Duo
Weddings Team

"I was married once in an online fantasy game. We were thinking of having children, but it would have severely drained my power crystals." -- The Simpsons, comic book guy
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 09/21/2005 04:54 PM CDT
>>While I'm at it, I'm going to tease that something new, though relatively small, is coming for Houses. SOOOOOOOOOON. (Cue mystery music!)

Thank you Nhia. Will we be given notice on the boards before it happens? Or is it something we have to watch for in the game?

~Halanny
Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 09/21/2005 08:11 PM CDT
Good question. I'm undecided! Maybe something of both?

~GameMaster Nhia
Elothean Champion Duo
Weddings Team

Re: Elothean Houses -- Joining Scroll 09/22/2005 11:00 AM CDT
>>While I'm at it, I'm going to tease that something new, though relatively small, is coming for Houses. SOOOOOOOOOON. (Cue mystery music!)

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!! :runs screaming in terror!::

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Houses Post-Titles 11/27/2005 05:14 PM CST
Hey guys! As many of you are aware, I've been restoring House post titles for people who accidentally delete theirs from their post title lists. This is because the post title system can be a bit complicated at times, some things delete the post titles without your realizing it (such as military badges), etc.

It has recently come to my attention that some people have been purposefully deleting their House post titles for one reason or another, and then assisting to have a GameMaster replace it. This isn't acceptable. I can understand if it's accidentally deleted a time or two, but over and over in the exact same way is a bit much. Those who are doing this will no longer have the post title replaced, and will simply have to wait until their respective House is live IG to get the post title restored. Thanks!

~GameMaster Nhia
Elothean Champion Duo
Weddings Team

Dead Houses 03/10/2006 05:54 PM CST
Does anyone have any idea what type of houses The Black Fang and The Marching Lotus were? I haven't been able to find any literature that says anything about them other than they no longer existed.
Re: Dead Houses 03/10/2006 06:53 PM CST
They are very still houses, and six feet under.

My guess is they were some form of militant minded house.
Re: Dead Houses 03/10/2006 08:19 PM CST
The Black Fang, heh. Anyway...

-Player of Krahas and (A soon to be Plat character)
Prev_page Previous 1 3