Pr'ysin and ysin 07/20/2008 11:54 PM CDT
Hello great Prydaen team! I don't recall if I'd seen this posted bout before.. but from what I was told when I got my ysin done today is that its just like a Pr'ysin except for the embroidery difference. So I compared the two later on and noticed why my friends and I were confused with the description a bit. Ysin apps as pants and Pr'ysin apps as a shirt. Is this how its supposed to be?

Everything Under the Moon catalog available at: http://www.desiredestiny.com/

The Zoluren army asks, "We're um.... really sorry about the clubhouse and all... so uh... are we cool?"
Re: Pr'ysin and ysin 07/21/2008 12:19 AM CDT
Where did you get that ysin prior to the alteration of it?

GM Oolan Jeel

"This island is made mainly of coal and surrounded by fish. Only an organizing genius could produce a shortage of coal and fish at the same time." Aneurin Bevan, May 1945, on World War II rationing and shortages in England.
Re: Pr'ysin and ysin 07/21/2008 12:20 AM CDT
From the prydaen shop.

The Zoluren army asks, "We're um.... really sorry about the clubhouse and all... so uh... are we cool?"
Re: Pr'ysin and ysin 07/21/2008 12:35 AM CDT
Thanks. Let me look into this.

GM Oolan Jeel

"This island is made mainly of coal and surrounded by fish. Only an organizing genius could produce a shortage of coal and fish at the same time." Aneurin Bevan, May 1945, on World War II rationing and shortages in England.
Re: Pr'ysin and ysin 07/21/2008 03:39 AM CDT
>>Ysin apps as pants and Pr'ysin apps as a shirt.

I'll be interested to see what is found out. I have seen altereations that make ysin and Pr'ysin look seem more of a top than a bottom and always assumed this was incorrect. Aren't primarilly a bottom that is wrapped around the hips, with a bit that does in deed cross over the chest and get sort of tossed over a sholder?

--Player of many, master of none--
Re: Pr'ysin and ysin 07/21/2008 12:11 PM CDT
>>Aren't primarilly a bottom that is wrapped around the hips, with a bit that does in deed cross over the chest and get sort of tossed over a sholder?

What? You mean we get to have furry toga parties?!

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Pr'ysin and ysin 07/21/2008 02:43 PM CDT
I dunno the person I talked to quoted the Pr'ysin and it appears to be a toga style, over the shoulder thing. The notes in the shop stated thus:

The ysin is for the feminine form and should be draped thusly, with the brooch to secure it at the side. When worn correctly it should not offend any prudish sensibilities and will enhance any natural attribute.

Pr'ysin
A type of sash mainly used for weddings. A Pr'Ysin is considered by some to be the traditional wedding attire for a female Prydaen while others feel it's more unique to certain regions. It is generally felt that the fur should not be obscured in any manner, therefore, the fabric used is generally sheer in content. It is a narrow strip of fabric, usually approx. 8 - 10" in width and 12' in length. A portion is gathered in asymmetrical pleats, which is then wrapped around the hips and secured with an elaborate bejeweled brooch. The remaining cloth is then draped over the opposite shoulder and allowed to act as a train behind the wearer. The train is usually shadow-embroidered with symbols meaningful to the bride.

Re: Pr'ysin and ysin 07/21/2008 03:40 PM CDT
The following is from notes from an old post by Shakahn

_________

Nightsilk not an item for a common sarrak :-)

Basic generic material was used for a common sarrak.

The rarer materials were used for Pr' or Ra' Sarraks.

For those whom are dreaming up alterations now based on things here.

Prydaen normal items use the basics materials.

Rarer materials are tied to the Pr' items used in specialized cerimonies. Pr' items are not items that are worn every day, again, specialized occasions.

Ra' items are ONLY worn by the Claw of Eu. Being found wearing such is the same as saying you are of the Claw of Eu, and doing such when you are not is a reason to be considered Cemsiat. Rare materials are sometimes used in such items.

Y'sin and Mra'sin's, both are see through material, sheer, gossamery. Had noted people trying for these asking for them in heavier material, make them that way, they are no longer the prydaen concept, thus you have a Sash and a tunic..not a Y'sin and Mra'sin.

Pr'ysin: This item is considered by some to be the traditional wedding attire for a female Prydaen while others feel it's more unique to certain regions. It is generally felt that the fur should not be obscured in any manner, therefore, the fabric used is sheer in content. It is a narrow strip of fabric, usually approx. 8 - 10" in width and 12' in length. A portion is gathered in asymmetrical pleats, which is then wrapped around the hips and secured with an elaborate bejeweled brooch. The remaining cloth is then draped over the opposite shoulder and allowed to act as a train behind the wearer. The train is usually shadow-embroidered with symbols meaningful to the bride.

A normal Ysin is a shorter variation of the Pr'Ysin and does not carry a train behind it. Again, materials are different as more common ones are used for the normal, rarer for the Pr'

Pr'Mra'sin:
This item is considered by some to be the traditional wedding attire for a male Prydaen while others feel it's more unique to certain regions. It is generally felt that the fur should not be obscured in any manner, therefore, the fabric used is sheer in content. The shear material tends to cover the wearer to mid-thigh, slitted at the sides for easy movement. Worn loose, it is usually tied at the midrift with either the same material or cord. Pr' types have symbols relating to specific past events in the male's past along the hems.

Sarrak:
It is generally felt that the fur should not be obscured in any manner, therefore, the fabric used is generally sheer or very thin in content. The Sarrak hangs loosly from the shoulders down to the ankles, Sarraks tend to be hooded. It is slitted along the sides to assist in freedom of movement. Among those that have been seen as Pr, various symbols of the Prydaen's past are stitched in the hems, and this garment is belted with like material or cord along the midrift. Ra' versions tend to have various symbols that equate to some important aspect of the gods, themselves in some grand cause for their gods, or denoting historic aspects of the people.

Shakahn

________

This is the unaltered look on my ysin:

>The continuous, narrow strip of cloth is designed to be wrapped around the body and secured in place with an elaborate jade brooch in the shape of a lotus blossom included with the garment.

I've always pictured a garment that is very versatile in how it is worn and that can be adjusted for weather and region and style. It is basically wrapped a few times around the torso then gathered in pleats to flare out over the hips. This lets the sash itself hold the pleats instead of making the wearer belt the garment about the hips to hold the pleats in place.

There are a wide variety of ways in which the torso wraps could be done, from a few times around the hips only to beginning as a bandeau then crossing down to wrap around the hips to secure the pleats which would then flare out over the thighs. For the ysin it ends there with the whole held in place with a broach. With the pr'ysin the long sash after the broach is drawn up over the chest to fall behind in a train.

An alternate way to wrap this would result in two ends which could be drawn up over the chest and secured behind the neck in an ysin or for a pr'ysin then flaring from that point out into a double train.

I imagine there might be other ways to adjust how a garment of this type is worn depending on the weather or the region.

Seeing as how Prydaen are covered in fur, the need to protect against the weather at all times is not as much of an issue and the desire to not obscure the fur is a primary factor in how these would be worn. Different wearers would have had different patterns in their fur that were unique to them and that they would have wished to never obscure as well. But at the same time you do on occasion need some protection. The garments are decorative and beautiful while still being simple and adjustable and functional.

It would seem to me that they should have been set up, with some modifications, the same way the folded fabrics are that are sold in Ilaya, with some different variations available in how the ysin is worn which would allow for it to be just a skirt or a skirt with a top portion depending on how the player wanted to wear it.

However, based on what Shakahn wrote I do not see it at any time being just a top.

--The player of too many, all of which are fictions in a fantasy game and none of which are me.

"The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself." -- Archibald MacLeish