Yelling and Language 04/13/2004 04:08 AM CDT
I'm not sure if this is the correct bug folder to post this in, but it seemed most relevant.

Currently, if you speak a different language than common, when you yell, you don't yell in the language your speaking. Now maybe this is a feature, but it seems wrong, particularly because I was roleplaying a character who only spoke their native language (didn't know common) which resulted in an awkward situation when I yelled during a particular scenario, and that person responded "I thought you don't speak common", I didn't find out what had happened until I tried it with a friend of mine.

I'd like to see an option implemented where you could set your yelling language, that way the functionality could still exist for people who intend to yell in common.
Re: Yelling and Language 04/13/2004 07:24 AM CDT
>>Currently, if you speak a different language than common, when you yell, you don't yell in the language your speaking. Now maybe this is a feature, but it seems wrong, particularly because I was roleplaying a character who only spoke their native language (didn't know common) which resulted in an awkward situation when I yelled during a particular scenario, and that person responded "I thought you don't speak common", I didn't find out what had happened until I tried it with a friend of mine<<

It does seem awkward, but I think I recall hearing that this is intentional. The idea is that 9 times out of 10 players yell because they are trying to get help in an emergency situation. Making sure that everyone yells in common makes it so anyone nearby can hear and understand you, whereas if you yelled only in your native tongue, chances are the people around would be clueless that you were calling for help.

I don't know if I read this from a GM or if someone else merely made it up to explain the discrepancy. ;-) The explanation is definitely not IC, but it does make sense from a "helping players" standpoint.

Lathaliu's Player