Prev_page Previous 1
Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 09:41 AM CDT
As I am now getting re-acquainted with this world, I wonder how much has truly changed for this guild.

I know of some of the major changes good and bad, but I wonder most about armor.

When I left this game, I remember that one of biggest complaints of all Paladins (and rightly so) was the irrelevance of Armor skills (besides Shield of course) beyond a certain rank. I don't remember the point at which advancing the skill brought exactly zero benefit, but I believe it was somewhere around 150-180.

Is this "skill" still worthless or have improvements been made?
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 09:44 AM CDT
p.s. I love the change to Shield allowing one to wear it on one's arm! This was a brilliant stroke to give life to a once quite limited skill, and also makes two handed weapons much more viable for Paladins especially (I'd better get to work training them!). :-D
How long ago was this implemented?
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 09:57 AM CDT
The more armor skill you have the better it protects you. You won't see it in the appraisal but it's there.

I have found with the current damage scaling(Semi-broken). At higher levels, I survive better wearing Light chain over heavy plate. Simply because the amount of offense a creature or player generates means getting hit equals death in whatever armor your wearing. So I personally go with the less hindering armor to improve my evasion which equals survivability. Since unhindered is a range, wearing the light chain amount of unhindered is less hindering than heavy plates unhindered.

Evasion is king and now Perception is Queen. Shields are great until you come across all the high damaging attacks that are not block able i.e. Backstab, DFA, etc...

Crusader Taghz

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 10:04 AM CDT
Circle 25
I am Insig hindered in a HP suit of plate and LP head/hands.
I evade anything at my evasion level.
Crocodiles are at level for me and land harmless blows.
I can stand in a swarm of morah creepers/vines all day.
For standard day to day combat I am actually loving armor prime. Tack in PvP and it's usefulness takes a major dip.

Sorry if this post sucks, I am late for work.

Ackfer - Halfling in a Can, No Fillers Here!
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 11:00 AM CDT
<<Crusader Taghz

The gosple by Taghz. Remember it oh weary of heart, for it is the truth and the light, and it shall give you enlightenment to relieve your yearning for change.

For thou must align yourself to the training and exertions of odd feats to offset your disadvantagous limitations. Do not lament them good sir, for they will be with thee until your dying days until all is ash or you seek succor in other associations.

Sorry for the poor "gosple speak".

P.S. Oolan (and others) are working on scaling. No idea on timing. I would not expect it anytime soon because of (i) the Thing, (ii) the other Thing, (iii) forging re-write and (iv) overall lore re-write. Although, I have no idea where it falls in relation to those things mentioned.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 11:07 AM CDT
I think it is a universal truth for all fantasy online games that if it is utmost importance to Paladins, it takes a backseat to everything else. :-D
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 11:10 AM CDT
** Evasion is king and now Perception is Queen. **

I am curious about this statement. Can you explain to me how perception plays into this? Are you referring to creatures that hide, etc?

Also, what does DFA stand for?

Please forgive my myriad questions. I have much to catch up on.
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 11:17 AM CDT
>>I am curious about this statement. Can you explain to me how perception plays into this? Are you referring to creatures that hide, etc?

Yes. There are a number of critters that do hide, such as pards, arzumos, laches, and warcats. And if you can't point them out of hiding, you're going to have a problem.

>>Also, what does DFA stand for?

Death From Above. It refers to a number of spells that actually strike from overhead.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 11:17 AM CDT
Evasion is your best defense against anything, generally speaking. It is always checked, some attacks will bypass parry/shield, none of them bypass evasion(with the exception of the few SvS/whatever spells still in existence that deal lethal damage).

And given commonly used stealth is in your typical spar/whatever, chances are you are going to need Perception to spot your average thief/ranger/moon mage/barb.

-Landros
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 11:23 AM CDT
>>Death From Above. It refers to a number of spells that actually strike from overhead.

And alternative definition of DFA (as it relates to combat checks) would be, any damage dealing spell that only contests evasion when calculating success.

Don't quote me on that though.

-Landros
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 11:30 AM CDT
While outwardly armor primary lacks a lot of the flash and flare that magic, survival and weapon primes might experience it does have its advantages in training.

Compared to my heavy plate wielding friends I get open rolled much much more frequently. While this is only anecdotal evidence I would invite anyone in the 100+ level who hunts malchata and wears plate to keep track of their own open rolled deaths. I will pretty much guarantee that I'll beat any plate wearer hands down in the death count. :P

I suspect after the damage model rewrite (god willing) that the importance of plate armor will go up even more.

That being said - remember we are talking about armor. Your armor itself (outside of shield) will probably never kill anyone nor will it create grand fireballs of dewm. There definitely could be more perks however one such being in the field armor repair, shield spikes, imbuing armor with glyphs and wards for various effects, and so on.

- Galren

No trophy, no flowers, no flashbulbs, no wine,
Hes haunted by something he cannot define.
Bowel-shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse,
Assail him, impale him with monster-truck force
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 11:31 AM CDT
<<Madigan>>
Actually found it refreshingly humorous. And basically the truth.

Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 11:33 AM CDT
>>I am curious about this statement. Can you explain to me how perception plays into this? Are you referring to creatures that hide, etc?

While there are some creature that hide the statement is intended for primarily PvP situations. In PvE situations, short of reaching armadillos you can easily make your way to the top never fighting a creature that hides or ambushes you.

If you want a further explanation about why perception is Queen in regard to PvP I'm sure other folks here won't mind explaining :)

>>Also, what does DFA stand for?

Death From Above. It denotes spells which are unblockable by shields. Hence, you evade or you get hit. There is no second defense to contest.

- Galren

Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 11:36 AM CDT
<<create grand fireballs of dewm>>
Make it so. :)

Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 12:59 PM CDT
<<I am curious about this statement. Can you explain to me how perception plays into this? Are you referring to creatures that hide, etc?

Perception was approved as the "fourth defense" (the other three being shield, evasion and parry). Since most offensive "actions" contest against two defenses, the inclusion of a fourth defense is of importance. So, instead of testing against...ohh say evasion and shield or evasion and parry, attacks can be approved contesting evasion and perception.

Evason and perception = Survival Skillset
Shield = Armor Skillset
Parry = Weapon Skillset

In my mind, this cemented the paladin guild as not the "masters of defense" (skillset wise) in the realms. In fact, we are pretty much middle of the pack with regard to defensive skillset placement. My simplistic review shows rangers and thieves better setup skillset-wise with regard to defense than paladins. Irony eh?

Looking at the issue from defensive skill placement(assigning values of 1, 2 or 3):

Rangers: Evasion (primary) (3), perception (primary) (3), parry (second) (2) and shield (secondary) (2).
Total Score: 10

Barbarians: Parry (primary) (3), evasion (secondary) (2), perception (secondary) (2) and shield (secondary) (2).
Total Score: 9

Trader: Evasion (secondary) (2), perception (secondary) (2), shield (secondary) (2) and parry (tert) (1).
Total Score: 7

Bards: Parry (secondary) (2), evasion (tert) (1), perception (tert) (1) and shield (tert) (1).
Total Score: 5

Thief: Evasion (primary) (3), perception (primary) (3), parry (secondary) (2), and shield (tert) (1).
Total Score: 9

Cleric: Parry (secondary) (2), evasion (tert) (1), perception (tert) (1) and shield (tert) (1).

Empaths: Evasion (secondary) (2), perception (secondary) (2), parry (tert) (1) and shield (tert) (1).
Total Score: 6

Warrior Mage: Parry (secondary) (2), evasion (tert) (1), perception (tert) (1) and shield (tert) (1).

Moon Mage: Evasion (secondary) (2), perception (secondary) (2), parry (tert) (1) and shield (tert) (1).
Total Score: 6

Paladins: Shield (primary) (3), parry (secondary) (2), evasion (tert) (1) and perception (tert)(1).
Total Score: 7

Summary:

Rangers 10
Barbarians 9
Thieves 9
Paladin 7
Trader 7
Empaths 6
Moon mage 6
Warrior mage 5
Cleric 5
Bard 5

Some notes:

1. There are obviously other factors involved. The above is simply my method of showing skillset places concerning the four defenses.
2. People can train their characters in any method they want to overcome skillset placement issues.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 01:03 PM CDT
You are forgetting that armor lessens the impact of any strike that gets past the defenses and is modified by the hiderance of said armor. As paladins are the only guild that can train armor down to no hiderance they still have the advantage.
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 01:10 PM CDT
<<
Perception was approved as the "fourth defense" (the other three being shield, evasion and parry). Since most offensive "actions" contest against two defenses, the inclusion of a fourth defense is of importance. So, instead of testing against...ohh say evasion and shield or evasion and parry, attacks can be approved contesting evasion and perception.

Wow. Just wow. Perception as a factor in defense? Does perception get trained at all in combat? I have noticed none of this. If what you are saying about perception is true - that was a terrible idea, and I hope whoever thought of it has been sacked. :-D

A skill that is not trainable in an action should not be a determining factor in the outcome of that action.

I'm just stunned by this.

Thank you for the explanation. This very valuable information.
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 01:11 PM CDT
<<You are forgetting that armor lessens the impact of any strike that gets past the defenses and is modified by the hiderance of said armor>>
But isn't the problem with this that armor does not grow at the rate of damage.

Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 01:14 PM CDT
>>But isn't the problem with this that armor does not grow at the rate of damage.

I believe so but Paladins are still the only guild that can completely train off the hinderance of the most protective armor in the game (If you ignore YS)
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 01:16 PM CDT
I really don't have a problem per se with Perception being a defense in the context of the game as long as there is not a plethora of attacks that utilize it.

I also thought that damage dealing spells using stats instead of TM added diversity, but that train is long gone. And I am fine playing the game "as is".

Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 01:20 PM CDT
<<I believe so but Paladins are still the only guild that can completely train off the hinderance of the most protective armor in the game (If you ignore YS)>>
Not arguing that, I lub it. Warmies having YS is a peeve of mine. ;)

My real main beef with perception is lack of training options in my opinion. Everyone is a stupid juggling clown.. everywhere I go juggling people..

Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 01:20 PM CDT
<<Perception as a factor in defense?

Not always. Much like parry and shield, it can not be used for certain attacks. The only defense that is always used is evasion.

Madigan

Arthur Ashe
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 01:21 PM CDT
>>Wow. Just wow. Perception as a factor in defense? Does perception get trained at all in combat? I have noticed none of this.

As a matter of fact, perception does get trained in battle- if you are hunting stealthy critters. Laches are among my favorite, and it doesn't take too long for me to actually lock in there.

As a circle 33 paladin, you might be better off trying the firecats around the gate of souls area: Often they do try to sneak up on you.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 01:25 PM CDT
<<As a circle 33 paladin, you might be better off trying the firecats around the gate of souls area>>

As a poorly trained Circle 25 Paladin I found that place unchallenging, but will give it a whirl again later today.

The choices seem to be sit in a possibly ineffective hunting area to learn some perception or be a juggly freak out of combat.

Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 01:26 PM CDT
>>My real main beef with perception is lack of training options in my opinion. Everyone is a stupid juggling clown.. everywhere I go juggling people..

Lockpicking 2.0 teaches perception really well. Or at least it does for my new cleric. Juggling is still easier because you don't have to go into combat and get boxes first.
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 01:31 PM CDT
>>Lockpicking 2.0 teaches perception really well. Or at least it does for my new cleric. Juggling is still easier because you don't have to go into combat and get boxes first.

::bops self hard!:: Of course! Thanks for the reminder! Yes, the new lockpicking does teach perception very well too- especially if you've trained with boxes all along and so aren't having to underhunt to get them.

Another thing- Keep in mind that the Gate of Souls is a tiered area, with the easy things up front. So you might have to search a little to find the harder goodies.

Ryeka again

Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 01:33 PM CDT
If you are going to add a 4th factor into defense, why oh why would you not use the actual worn armor skill?? Not only would that make more combat sense, but it would also offer some usage for our 89526975 required armor ranks. Perception makes no sense at all for this.
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 01:37 PM CDT
I see. Well, perception makes perfect sense for stealth attacks for obvious reasons.

I misinterpreted Madigan's post to say that it was used in general as a factor in defense. My apologies.
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 01:41 PM CDT
>>I believe so but Paladins are still the only guild that can completely train off the hinderance of the most protective armor in the game

The above statement is false.

unhindered is a range between 0 - (whatever). No one can train off any armor hinderance to 0. Paladins can just do it the lowest.

Spells like YS allow the caster to drop into the unhindered range. Where exactly in the unhindered range is unknown.

Crusader Taghz

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 01:44 PM CDT
A couple quick points of clarification:

>You are forgetting that armor lessens the impact of any strike that gets past the defenses and is modified by the hiderance of said armor. As paladins are the only guild that can train armor down to no hiderance they still have the advantage.

No guild can train armor down to zero hinderance. Paladins are the lowest though.

And PRAEDARI, I think there's some confusion. Perception is only a factor in stealth attacks, not normal combat.

Finally, I think the 1 2 3 point system for rating guild defenses is just too simplistic. You simply have to weight evasion and to a lesser degree shield more heavily. I'd put a 2x modifier on evasion and 1.5 on shield.
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 01:45 PM CDT
>>why oh why would you not use the actual worn armor skill??

Armor is pretty much always factored in once the blow gets past your evasion and shield/parry/whatever. The real problem is with the damage model.

- Galren

Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 01:47 PM CDT

>>unhindered is a range between 0 - (whatever). No one can train off any armor hinderance to 0. Paladins can just do it the lowest

It sure would be nice to know the actual numbers. It would surely put to all the long standing arguments on the subject.

...or create new ones. ;-)
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 01:49 PM CDT
>>unhindered is a range between 0 - (whatever). No one can train off any armor hinderance to 0. Paladins can just do it the lowest.

I know that there is a range, I almost put that in my post then decided not to because it is known and the fact remains that paladins are the only ones who can train to unhindered
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 01:50 PM CDT
>...or create new ones. ;-)

This is basically the reason why. Some of the numbers are pretty arbitrary. For instance, it is believed that moon mages have the worst hinderances of all, even worse than empaths. How do you justify that?

The GMs don't want to defend their decisions or empower the players to make informed choices.

The good news is you can play and find out! (Not really though.)
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 01:50 PM CDT
>>I misinterpreted Madigan's post to say that it was used in general as a factor in defense. My apologies.

No worries: For a very long time, the only really viable way most people in general had to train perception was to juggle- which, for a lot of characters, is very OOC. So needless to say, thinking of perception as an actual defense still takes effort.

Back to armor- I'm not a paladin prime, but I have noticed that with more armor skill I can stand up against stronger critters with relatively little damage. And having trained leather, both plates, and LC, the heavy plate does seem to protect the best. While I still get killed hunting, it's seldom from head damage (My helm is HP).

Ryeka

Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 01:54 PM CDT
>>I know that there is a range, I almost put that in my post then decided not to because it is known and the fact remains that paladins are the only ones who can train to unhindered.

I dont believe this is correct. Galren can you get unhindered in all leather?

Crusader Taghz

Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 01:55 PM CDT
>>I dont believe this is correct. Galren can you get unhindered in all leather?

Ug you're killing me here with all the hair splitting, we were talking about heavy plate
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 01:56 PM CDT
>I know that there is a range, I almost put that in my post then decided not to because it is known and the fact remains that paladins are the only ones who can train to unhindered

That still isn't true. My Ranger can be unhindered in a full set of leather. He only hits insignificant with a shield. I believe Barbarians can do the same. And Warrior Mages get damn close with YS in chain. Plus most guilds can probably hit unhindered in a set of cloth armor.

One of the more significant bonuses Paladins get is the eventual elimination of mixing penalties, which is ironic because they're also the guild that benefits the least from this bonus.
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 01:59 PM CDT
>>The GMs don't want to defend their decisions or empower the players to make informed choices.

Yes, I've never really understood that logic. It's a game, not a top secret strategic nuclear defense system.

I like the fact that the numbers don't show up everywhere during gameplay. I think it is valuable to maintaining the theme of the environment, but I don't think it's necessary to make everything a secret.
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 02:01 PM CDT
>I like the fact that the numbers don't show up everywhere during gameplay. I think it is valuable to maintaining the theme of the environment, but I don't think it's necessary to make everything a secret.

Ditto.
Prev_page Previous 1