Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 02:01 PM CDT
>>Galren can you get unhindered in all leather?

---
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently unhindered.

Capped azures, garg cowl and gloves.

---
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently unhindered.

With same leathers, same gloves, HC roar helm.

---

With same leathers, LC gloves, HC roar helm

- Galren

No trophy, no flowers, no flashbulbs, no wine,
Hes haunted by something he cannot define.
Bowel-shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse,
Assail him, impale him with monster-truck force
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 02:02 PM CDT
>>cloth armor.

Ha ha, I laugh every time I see/hear that term. Talk about your oxymorons! :-D
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 02:09 PM CDT
Cloth armor is historically accurate.

As GMs have said, we're not talking t-shirts, we're talking skijackets. It's thick padded armor. Frequently it was worn under heavier armor, but if you had nothing else...

It's not terribly good armor mind, but it's decent against cold and impact - as one might expect.

-- Mozzik, the Fateweaver

Caelumia says, "I love the tools even more."
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 02:09 PM CDT
Cloth armor is for sneaky people. I agree that it's a Bad Idea (tm) for tanks!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 02:11 PM CDT
>>One of the more significant bonuses Paladins get is the eventual elimination of mixing penalties, which is ironic because they're also the guild that benefits the least from this bonus.

Here's another concept I'm unclear on. This is more from a strategic standpoint though.

If a major bonus for a Paladin is to become unhindered in the most protective armor, I don't understand the strategy of wearing multiple types of less effective armor.

Is there a leveling requirement involving total ranks of armor besides the Primary and secondary skills that I am unaware of? Is it simply for the added TDPs from additional skills? Or is there some other benefit I'm failing to see?
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 02:13 PM CDT
>>I don't understand the strategy of wearing multiple types of less effective armor.

The almighty Time Development Point. The more you train the more you gain.

- Galren

No trophy, no flowers, no flashbulbs, no wine,
Hes haunted by something he cannot define.
Bowel-shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse,
Assail him, impale him with monster-truck force
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 02:18 PM CDT
It'd be an awesome if total hindrance removal was reinstated as an armor prime perk.

>>Finally, I think the 1 2 3 point system for rating guild defenses is just too simplistic. You simply have to weight evasion and to a lesser degree shield more heavily. I'd put a 2x modifier on evasion and 1.5 on shield.

Heh, which knocks Paladins down to fifth behind traders. Of course taking abilities into account moves Paladins and WMs up considerably and drops Thieves and Traders down a few slots.

Ranger 14 (10)
Barbarian 12 (9)
Thief 12.5 (9)
Trader 10 (7)
Paladin 9.5 (7)
Empath 8.5 (6)
Moon Mage 8.5 (6)
Warrior Mage 6.5 (5)
Cleric 6.5 (5)
Bard 6.5 (5)

~Thilan
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 02:19 PM CDT
<<Finally, I think the 1 2 3 point system for rating guild defenses is just too simplistic. You simply have to weight evasion and to a lesser degree shield more heavily. I'd put a 2x modifier on evasion and 1.5 on shield.

I agree. If I have time, I'll run the numbers based on the above. It is still pretty arbitrary, but it puts the issue in perspective.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 02:23 PM CDT
The current fix for the various issues with an armor primary skillset is the scaling of damage so that defense gets more of the fantasy pie (using a Redarch term here). I do not personally agree this is the answer, but that is the fix that is being worked on. And, I am very thankful at this point for anything that will help the guild become more viable as "tanks" "Masters of Armor" or whatever label we should hold regarding armor nowadays.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 02:23 PM CDT
>>The almighty Time Development Point. The more you train the more you gain.

That's what I thought. But as long as I've been away, you never know what weird little changes may have occurred. :-)
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 02:26 PM CDT
Thanks Thilan.

Ranger 14 (10)
Barbarian 12 (9)
Thief 12.5 (9)
Trader 10 (7)
Paladin 9.5 (7)
Empath 8.5 (6)
Moon Mage 8.5 (6)
Warrior Mage 6.5 (5)
Cleric 6.5 (5)
Bard 6.5 (5)

~Thilan

That is very disheartening.

Madigan

Arthur Ashe
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 02:27 PM CDT
Mainly its for TDP's. I personally own a set of kertig LP greaves that appraise better then HP ones so only then I find it worthwhile to know how to be unhindered in another armor.

It's the skillset placement and the multiple armor training that helps us with our best perk of our guild, and thats gaining a lot of TDP's quickly.

Player of Holy Soldier Adakin of Prime
Kastr of TF
Killr of TF
"The Key To Immortality Is Living A Life Worth Remembering."

"Killing Time Murders Opportunities."
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 02:30 PM CDT
>>>The almighty Time Development Point. The more you train the more you gain.

>That's what I thought. But as long as I've been away, you never know what weird little changes may have occurred. :-)

There are multiple other reasons as well. You could train bone armor for use in PvP. You currently need to train armors to forge them. Plus it gives you greater flexibility in equipment. If you really like the look of a certain armor piece, you can incorporate it easily if you've already trained the armor.
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 02:35 PM CDT
>>If a major bonus for a Paladin is to become unhindered in the most protective armor, I don't understand the strategy of wearing multiple types of less effective armor.

There's also the ability to customize your outfit for your foe. For example plate armor isn't the best against impact, cold and electrical damage. Training an armor like cloth (impact & cold) or bone (electrical, also slice & fire) helps keep your options open if you're fighting something that casts cold spells like ghasts or electric spells like seordmaors. And keep in mind that what we've seen of cloth and bone is storebought quality, so it's possible that player-made cloth and bone armor will have better protection in the other categories as well.

~Thilan
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 02:48 PM CDT
I guess I'd better get training on some other armors! I think my next highest armor is only in the 20s or 30s.

As for this bone armor - I don't remember that at all. Is it any good?
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 02:50 PM CDT
>>As for this bone armor - I don't remember that at all. Is it any good?

Bone and Cloth armor came out pretty recently. I believe it is between leather and chain
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 02:51 PM CDT
Great. So my skillset perk is to carry around huge amounts of armor.
>get my breast
You fall to your knees due to burden!
You get your bone breastplate from your backpack.
Roundtime: 3 seconds

I am already somewhat burdened just by wearing my regular armor.

Ackfer - Halfling in a Can, No Fillers Here!
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 02:58 PM CDT
>>Great. So my skillset perk is to carry around huge amounts of armor.

I believe the implication here is that you can train multiple armor types simultaneously wearing individual pieces of said armor types rather than lugging around full sets of other types.

It has it's pros and cons, I guess. I'm rather partial to my sparkling white armor. Yeah I know. Too subtle for a Paladin, right? :-D
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 03:01 PM CDT
>>Great. So my skillset perk is to carry around huge amounts of armor.

Yay Ease Burden, Courage and Heroic Strength!

~Thilan
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 03:06 PM CDT
<<the implication here is that you can train multiple armor types >>
Oh, I understand that.
But that essentially means I never get to fight in my best armor because I am always wearing a mismatch of crap. Unless I know the cold casters will always be targetting my head (bone mask) and the impact users will always be targetting my legs (cloth etc), and those crazy slashers always go for my chest (heavy plate).

Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 03:31 PM CDT
<<But that essentially means I never get to fight in my best armor because I am always wearing a mismatch of crap. Unless I know the cold casters will always be targetting my head (bone mask) and the impact users will always be targetting my legs (cloth etc), and those crazy slashers always go for my chest (heavy plate)

Further proof every Paladin is at heart a masochist.
Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 03:43 PM CDT
<<Further proof every Paladin is at heart a masochist.>>
Nah, if I was a true masochist I would be a Trader. :)

Re: Armor and its usefulness 09/03/2008 05:08 PM CDT
:chants "the spawn is coming" over and over:
Aw, shucks, here they come
creepin' through the cracks
the nooks, the crannies
the hidden SMACK!

They's aimin' for my head
I gotta point 'em out
I gotta get a plan
to get the heck out

Pulled out my greatsword
to chop the critters up
ambushed again
hit me in the ear, ugh!

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page