Prev_page Previous 1 3
Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 12:42 PM CST
My initial tests of this feel as though it's a bit weak. The below is with 356 TM and waiting for full target. I realize it shouldn't do as much damage per hit as STRA because it's multi-hit and meant to also knock down, but I didn't (seem to?) get the knockdown at all and the hits seemed underpowered for the amount of mana and skill involved vs fledgling and baby gryphons.

Min + 20 mana harnessed (35 total mana)
You sweep your pavise shield towards a fledgling forest gryphon.
You contribute your harnessed streams to increase the pattern's potential.
A dull golden glow emits from the shield which crashes into the forest gryphon.
The force inflicts a glancing strike (0/22) to the back, and a light hit (1/22) to the back.

Min + 32 mana in camb (47 total mana)
You sweep your pavise shield towards a fledgling forest gryphon.
Your cambrinth armband emits a loud snap as it discharges all its power to aid your spell.
A shimmering silver glow shines from the shield which crashes into the forest gryphon.
The force inflicts a light hit (1/22) to the left hind leg, and a glancing strike (0/22) to the chest.

The forest gryphon has faint scuffing to the left hind leg, faint scuffing to the chest, faint scuffing to the back.

Min + 36 mana in camb (51 total mana)
You sweep your pavise shield towards a baby forest gryphon.
Your cambrinth armband emits a loud snap as it discharges all its power to aid your spell.
A shimmering silver glow shines from the shield which crashes into the baby forest gryphon.
The force inflicts a glancing strike (0/22) to the back, a light hit (1/22) to the abdomen, and a light hit (1/22) to the back.

The baby forest gryphon has faint scuffing to the abdomen, faint scuffing to the back.

Min + 48 mana in camb (63 total mana)
A stark white light emanates from the shield which crashes into the baby forest gryphon.
The force inflicts a glancing strike (0/22) to the right hind leg, and a good hit (2/22) to the abdomen.

The baby forest gryphon has faint scuffing to the right hind leg, faint scuffing to the abdomen, faint scuffing to the back.

In contrast, strange arrow with min + 36 in camb (40 total mana)
You gesture at a baby forest gryphon.
A crackling yellow haze forms up around your body, quickly pooling up into a small, cohesive cloud in front of you. It quickly lurches forward in an erratic bolt at a baby forest gryphon!
The cloud enwreathes its abdomen, pockmarking it with a hissing sound.
The baby forest gryphon is stunned!

The baby forest gryphon has faint scuffing to the right hind leg, severely swollen and bruised abdomen compounded by deep cuts across the abdomen, faint scuffing to the back.
The baby forest gryphon is bleeding with discoloration in the abdomen and from the abdomen.
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 12:45 PM CST
Are you wearing the shield on your arm or holding it? Do you see a difference in damage?
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 12:47 PM CST
I was a little distracted, so I only did those ones and I was wearing the shield. I'll do a few quick tests with me holding it. Unfortunately though, while I love the concept of the spell, if it requires me to hold my shield, I'll probably use a different TM spell.
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 12:48 PM CST

I'm having completely different results.

15 prep cast + 10 harnessed.

You sweep your steel shield towards a fledgling forest gryphon.
The forest gryphon is lightly stunned!
The force inflicts a massive strike to the chest, and an awesome strike to the chest.

Roundtime: 1 sec.

25 prep

The forest gryphon is stunned!
The force inflicts a good strike to the back, a good strike to the abdomen, and a demolishing hit to the chest.

251 TM, 450 shield. 44 STR, 40 stam, HES, Courage, DA up.

Arm worn large shield.
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 12:49 PM CST
> You must be holding or wearing a shield for it to work.

Do the stats of the shield affect the spell?
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 12:51 PM CST

Here's my shield Appraisal.

You are certain that it imposes significant maneuvering (10/15) hindrance.

This shield is large in size.

Your experience with shields allows a better appraisal of the protection capabilities.

You are certain that the shield offers poor to good (9/19) protection.

You are certain that it could do:
no (0/26) puncture damage
no (0/26) slice damage
very great (12/26) impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

You are certain that the shield is poorly (3/14) balanced and is reasonably (7/14) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the steel shield is marginally vulnerable to damage (8/18), and is practically in mint condition.

The steel shield is made with metal.
It appears that the steel shield can be worn on the left arm.
You are certain that the steel shield weighs about 200 stones.
You are certain that the steel shield is worth exactly 42845 dokoras.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 12:52 PM CST

>>but I didn't (seem to?) get the knockdown at all

Are quadripeds still harder to knockdown than bipeds? Could be the reason...
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 12:53 PM CST
>>In contrast, strange arrow with min + 36 in camb (40 total mana)

You might want to try STRA vs a fresh gryphon. I've noticed that once I get a few hits in with a weapon/spell/whatever to get them past their vitality threshold, spells start to do more damage. You might have essentially softened up the target with all those previous casts, especially since the cast before the last did land a good.

IMO that's a problem I have with TM spells as a whole, though: having to soften up targets a lot before results start coming in.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 12:54 PM CST
>> I'm having completely different results.

My results changed right after this first one, oddly enough. I don't know if that means Raesh secretly loves us and changed something. And I'm using the Aftermath pavise shield of very heavy doom. If needed, I can post the stats.

Min + 36 in camb while holding the shield
A shimmering silver glow shines from the shield which crashes into the baby forest gryphon.
The force inflicts a glancing strike (0/22) to the left hind leg, a glancing strike (0/22) to the chest, and a light hit (1/22) to the left hind leg.

The baby forest gryphon has faint scuffing to the left hind leg, faint scuffing to the chest.

The baby forest gryphon is stunned!
The force inflicts a good strike (3/22) to the left hind leg, an extremely heavy hit (9/22) to the head, and a good strike (3/22) to the chest.

The baby forest gryphon is dealt a vicious stun!
The force inflicts a solid hit (4/22) to the right hind leg, an awesome strike (12/22) to the head, a devastating hit (17/22) to the head, and a heavy strike (7/22) to the chest.

Min + 36 in camb while wearing the shield
The baby forest gryphon is lightly stunned!
The force inflicts a powerful strike (10/22) to your right hind leg, and a massive strike (11/22) to your chest..
A baby forest gryphon collapses into a lifeless mound of fur and feathers.
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 12:56 PM CST
>> You might want to try STRA vs a fresh gryphon.

This is certainly possible. But first two sets of tests were on two different gryphons because I had to stop in the middle. So it was two casts of Chastise vs one gryphon and then Chastise + STRA on a second gryphon.
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 12:59 PM CST
> The force inflicts a powerful strike (10/22) to your right hind leg, and a massive strike (11/22) to your chest..
> A baby forest gryphon collapses into a lifeless mound of fur and feathers.

Huh.
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 01:02 PM CST

> Huh.

Looks like a noun bug, my chest is fine.
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 01:03 PM CST
>> The force inflicts a powerful strike (10/22) to your right hind leg, and a massive strike (11/22) to your chest..
>> A baby forest gryphon collapses into a lifeless mound of fur and feathers.

> Huh.

You don't understand being a Paladin. This spell is obviously going to be moved to the Sacrifice spellbook.
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 01:04 PM CST
> You don't understand being a Paladin. This spell is obviously going to be moved to the Sacrifice spellbook.

Then I think you'd get better hits if you removed your armor.
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 01:06 PM CST
> Then I think you'd get better hits if you removed your armor.

But this is a family game.
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 01:09 PM CST

I didnt see this thread, I'll post my stuff here

A) there is a messaging bug

You sweep your tower shield towards an armored warklin.
A dull golden glow emits from the shield which crashes into the armored warklin.
The force inflicts a strong hit to your back.
An armored warklin crumbles to the ground.

B) I've yet to see it knock down an opponent which I confirmed can be knocked down

C) It does not seem to stun very often, compared to an FST cast with half the mana

D) It seems to randomly be multi striking and is not very effective at it compared to other multi strikes that ive tested on other characters. My 15 mana casts seem as likely/more likely (small test pool) to result in 3 hits vs 25 mana casts. I dont even know if it can manage more than that.

E) The damage seems very very low. I can for half the mana casts kill a Warklin

F) I think as a result of D and E the spell teaches TM very poorly. I go up about the same amount of TM skill per fst cast (min preps) as 25 mana Chastises.
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 01:28 PM CST
On the damage..this is supposedly bashing damage (?) which warklin are more prone to than slice
Both fresh warklin. 30 mana casts.

A shimmering silver glow shines from the shield which crashes into the armored warklin.
The force inflicts a glancing (1/23) strike to the abdomen, a glancing (1/23) strike to the left eye, a glancing (1/23) strike to the chest, and a glancing (1/23) strike to the head.

vs FST with a slicing weapon

You gesture at an armored warklin with your sterak axe.
A spray of silver sparks flash on the surface of the axe, blinking out of sight near-instantly.
Several thumps sound from the armored warklin's neck one after another.
The armored warklin is lightly stunned!

vs STRA

You gesture at an armored warklin.
A crackling yellow haze forms up around your body, quickly pooling up into a small, cohesive cloud in front of you. It quickly lurches forward in an erratic bolt at an armored warklin!
The cloud enwreathes its face, pockmarking it with a hissing sound.
The armored warklin is severely stunned!

Another cast of chastise with 35 mana

You sweep your tower shield towards a warklin mauler.
A shimmering silver glow shines from the shield which crashes into the warklin mauler.
The force inflicts a glancing (1/23) strike to the back.

Really?

In case it matters

Damite Tower Shield
You are certain that it imposes great (11/15) maneuvering hindrance.

This shield is large in size.

Your experience with shields allows a better appraisal of the protection capabilities.

You are certain that the shield offers better than fair (9/26) to very high (15/26) protection.

You are certain that it could do:
no (0/26) puncture damage
no (0/26) slice damage
very severe (14/26) impact damage
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage
no (0/26) electric damage

You are certain that the shield is fairly (5/15) balanced and is reasonably (7/15) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the tower shield is extremely resistant to damage (15/18), and is practically in mint condition (90-97%).

The tower shield is made with metal.
It appears that the tower shield can be worn on the left arm.
You are confident that the tower shield weighs about 275 stones.
You are certain that the tower shield is worth exactly 1422665 kronars.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.
R>

I have held and worn it for my tests without noticeable differences.
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 01:28 PM CST

Some more testing:

Currently, it looks like FST has harder hits at high vitality and an easier time stunning. I'm not having a problem locking TM with either.

I assume this is core magic though, and the ability to funnel more oomph into an easier spell - even at min casts.

<arm worn shield>

The force inflicts a glancing strike to the right eye, a glancing strike to the back, and a glancing strike to the left hind leg.

The force inflicts a glancing strike to the right hind leg, a glancing strike to the abdomen, and a glancing strike to the chest.

The force inflicts a good hit to the left hind leg, and a good strike to the chest.

The force inflicts a good hit to the left hind leg, and a good strike to the chest.

The force inflicts a strong hit to the back, and a solid hit to the abdomen.

The force inflicts a solid hit to the right hind leg, and a heavy strike to the back.

The force inflicts a very heavy hit to the chest, a heavy strike to the abdomen, and a hard hit to the left eye.

The force inflicts an extremely heavy hit to your left hind leg, an awesome strike to your chest, and an overwhelming strike to your chest..
A fledgling forest gryphon collapses into a lifeless mound of fur and feathers.

<held shield>

The force inflicts a light hit to the back, a glancing strike to the neck, and a glancing strike to the left hind leg.

The force inflicts a glancing strike to the abdomen, and a good hit to the left hind leg.

The force inflicts a good strike to the back, and a good hit to the chest.

The force inflicts a good hit to the abdomen, a solid hit to the back, and a solid hit to the chest.

The force inflicts a hard hit to the chest, a heavy strike to the chest, and a good strike to the abdomen.

The forest gryphon is stunned!
The force inflicts a powerful strike to your abdomen, and a devastating hit to your left hind leg..

You gesture at a fledgling forest gryphon with your steel broadsword.
A few golden sparks flash along the edge of the broadsword, blinking out of sight near-instantly.
Several bloody dents appear on the forest gryphon's head.

A few golden sparks flash along the edge of the broadsword, blinking out of sight near-instantly.
A series of bloody dents appear on the forest gryphon's back in a crisscrossed pattern.

A series of bloody dents appear on the forest gryphon's chest in a crisscrossed pattern.

A multitude of swiftly inflicted lacerations reduce the forest gryphon's back into a diced wreck, as if assailed by the full force of several phantom claymores!

Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 01:35 PM CST
Well, other advanced multi hits, such as fireball seem to be hitting far harder. A warmie I have access to can kill very effectively with it with 100 less ranks of magics than me (including TM). I think this is because other multi strikes have a much higher portion of elemental damage (which monsters and players have less defense against).

I think because this spell is a multi strike that deals primarily physical damage, the higher physical damage mitigation seen on players and monsters is crushing its damage output all together..
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 02:51 PM CST
The spell's as cool as I was expecting. Love the messaging and how it changes based on mana pumped into the spells. Even love the name. The knockdown rocks and makes it truly unique. I have just a couple of thoughts/questions:

1. Like others have said, chastise feels a little on the light side compared to other single target multi-hit TM spells.
2. The cast mods are higher on chastise than other single target multi-hit TM spells. Is that because of the knockdown effect?

Thanks, Raesh. And here are a few spell crits for fun:

You sweep your pavise shield towards a zombie mauler.
A stark white light emanates from the shield which crashes into the zombie mauler.
The force inflicts a vicious (14/23) strike to your right eye, an extremely heavy (10/23) hit to your left eye, a powerful (11/23) strike to your left arm, a vicious (14/23) strike to your abdomen, and an apocalyptic (23/23) strike to your abdomen..
A zombie mauler falls belly-up and grunts its last grunt.

And to make this Raesh approved...

You sweep your pavise shield towards a black goblin.
A shimmering silver glow shines from the shield which crashes into the black goblin.
The black goblin is stunned!
The force inflicts a heavy (8/23) strike to your head, a heavy (8/23) strike to your right hand.
A black goblin scowls at you hatefully before closing its eyes forever.

Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 02:51 PM CST
>>I think because this spell is a multi strike that deals primarily physical damage, the higher physical damage mitigation seen on players and monsters is crushing its damage output all together..

Warklins aren't just "more" resistant to impact than slice, they're extremely resistant to impact. It's also inaccurate to say monsters are generically weaker to elemental than physical, as that varies hugely by both damage type (slice or impact instead of generic physical, fire or electrical instead of generic elemental) and creature type (Boar Clan undead are highly resistant to fire for example).

Try a similar-mana cast against gryphons, as I have never noticed them being resistant to any particular damage type. Or you could do a vitality test at similar mana with similar TM ranks.
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 03:19 PM CST
>>2. The cast mods are higher on chastise than other single target multi-hit TM spells. Is that because of the knockdown effect?

I had to go to Rock Trolls to see the knock down actually work. It might work on gryphons. I pumped 40 mana into the spell and havnt seen it happen yet.

My presumption is that the knock down effect is not behaving as intended. If it is & the spell was balanced with the idea it could knock down in mind, then I would even request the knock down gets removed if it remains as is. The spell does really little damage and the knock down seems to be a relatively rare occurrence which makes it hard to really understand why I would ever want to cast this over FST which hits substantially harder and can reliably stun more often/harder.

Anyhow, its very early and I think Raesh will fine tune the spell which will make most of my complaints moot. As is though, I cant see casting this over STRA/FST.
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 03:32 PM CST
I 'think' you have your resists confused on Warklin. Warklin are very resistance to slice, not so much impact.

http://www.elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Warklin_Mauler

"Very slice resistant. More-so than the Armored Warklins. With 400 in heavy edged and blood zerk going I'm still only landing grazing to good hits. Blunts or brawling gear a must."

When fighting them with my heavy thrown (hammer, impact. Has almost no puncture damage and no impact damage) I do very good damage. I have tried fighting them with heavy slice weapons with low impact and done very poorly, and now use axes because of their greater impact to actually deal damage.

FST deals damage of one type from what has been established. FST with a Slicer deals significantly more damage, however I wanted to test this and be sure. Here is FST casts with a hammer on a warklin:

From uninjured

25 mana casts

You gesture at a warklin mauler with your throwing hammer.
A spray of silver sparks flash on the surface of the hammer, blinking out of sight near-instantly.
Several thumps sound from the warklin mauler's abdomen one after another.

Roundtime: 1 sec

A spray of silver sparks flash on the surface of the hammer, blinking out of sight near-instantly.
The warklin mauler jerks backward as something hits its neck.

A few golden sparks flash on the surface of the hammer, blinking out of sight near-instantly.
A series of heavy thumps sound from the warklin mauler's left eye in rapid succession, leaving behind black-blue welts.

A few golden sparks flash on the surface of the hammer, blinking out of sight near-instantly.
A series of heavy thumps sound from the warklin mauler's right leg in rapid succession, leaving behind black-blue welts.

A multitude of swiftly inflicted concussions reduce the warklin mauler's right leg into a pulped wreck, as if assailed by the full force of several phantom mattocks!
A warklin mauler crumbles to the ground.

Roundtime: 1 sec

5 casts to kill it.

Chastise

35 mana casts

A shimmering silver glow shines from the shield which crashes into the armored warklin.
The force inflicts a glancing (1/23) strike to the right leg, and a light (2/23) hit to the chest.

The force inflicts a light (2/23) hit to the back, and a light (2/23) hit to the abdomen.

The force inflicts a glancing (1/23) strike to the head, a glancing (1/23) strike to the left leg, a good (4/23) hit to the chest, and a light (2/23) hit to the head.

The force inflicts a good (4/23) hit to the back, a good (4/23) strike to the chest, a light (2/23) hit to the left leg, and a glancing (1/23) strike to the left eye.

The force inflicts a good (4/23) strike to the head, a good (4/23) strike to the back, a solid (5/23) hit to the back, and a strong (7/23) hit to the back.

The force inflicts a solid (5/23) hit to the head, a solid (5/23) hit to the left leg, a good (4/23) hit to the right leg, and a good (4/23) strike to the chest.

The armored warklin is severely stunned!
The force inflicts a hard (6/23) hit to the abdomen, a massive (12/23) strike to the back, and an extremely heavy (10/23) hit to the head.

The force inflicts an extremely heavy (10/23) hit to the abdomen, a very heavy (9/23) hit to the chest, an earth-shaking (15/23) strike to the abdomen, and a heavy (8/23) strike to the left leg.

The force inflicts an obliterating (20/23) hit to your back.
An armored warklin crumbles to the ground.

9 casts to kill it. Each cast had 10 more mana invested in it than my FST did (20+ min prep for each).

The damage on the spell is really just blek. This test was actually the best amount of 4 hits I have seen, not sure if that was tweaked or not. Having it hit once or twice for meaningless (glancing) damage is a bit sad. I have not had that issue with fireball not hitting multiple locations.
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 03:35 PM CST
>Try a similar-mana cast against gryphons, as I have never noticed them being resistant to any particular damage type. Or you could do a vitality test at similar mana with similar TM ranks.

You made good points but the spell feels weak on critters that are not very resistant to physical damage as well. I tried it in maulers, for instance, which seem to be a sponge for slice, impact and puncture, and it did significantly less damage than our single target spell, FST, and our AoE multi hit TM spell, SMH.

On a separate note, has anyone figured out what governs the success of the knockdown?
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 04:17 PM CST
Min preparation and 108 mana orb

Your formation of a targeting pattern around a Dragon Priest assassin has completed.
>cast
You sweep your tower shield towards a Dragon Priest assassin.
Your cambrinth orb emits a loud snap as it discharges as much power as necessary, leaving a moderate amount left for future use.
A brilliant white light radiates from the shield which crashes into the Dragon Priest assassin.
The force inflicts a glancing strike to the back, a glancing strike to the right arm, a glancing strike to the left arm, a glancing strike to the right leg, and a glancing strike to the chest.
The overwhelming force crushes it to ground!

The bucket burbles suddenly as its contents begin to dissolve....

Suddenly it spits out some niniam field plate onto the floor.
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 04:18 PM CST
>>On a separate note, has anyone figured out what governs the success of the knockdown?

No idea.

I was kind of hoping for a fear effect (chastise sounds like a unique opportunity for us to get one). As of now, I dont know what it COULD be cause i have not seen it succeed accept when severely out classing opponents. I can stun a warklin with a near min mana cast of stun foe, but a max mana cast of chastise wont net me a simple knock down...?
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 04:32 PM CST
So...glancing damage with 108 mana..yikes. I'm pretty sure a 108 mana fire ball would wreck someones day..

Good to know you can get them to fall over at that much mana. Can you get them to fall over with significantly less?
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 04:38 PM CST
>>So...glancing damage with 108 mana..yikes. I'm pretty sure a 108 mana fire ball would wreck someones day..

Good to know you can get them to fall over at that much mana. Can you get them to fall over with significantly less?

I'll do more testing tonight when I go hunting wanted to get a first impression out.

Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 04:59 PM CST
>>Good to know you can get them to fall over at that much mana. Can you get them to fall over with significantly less?

I just went 20 for 20 with knockdowns at 15 mana in Quartz Gargoyles with 148 TM. I know they're lower than what some of you are testing it on, but if I can do it with min mana in Gargoyles while hunting at level I don't see why it's so hard for some of you at higher ranks. Theoretically it should scale with ranks and mob level. The only thing I can think of is that some mobs are harder to knock down than others, or maybe the shield matters. I'm using the Pavis Shield from Aftermath, which is big and heavy(520 stones).

Here's the log if you care. 20 for 20 with knockdowns(except for when the spell actually kills the mob, I counted those even though it doesn't technically give the knocked down message). Earlier before I started testing and logging I had one Gargoyle who didn't get knocked all the way down and was instead dropped to his knees, but that's the only time in probably 40+ uses that I didn't knock them down with min prep at level hunting.

You sweep your pavise shield towards a quartz gargoyle.
A dull golden glow emits from the shield which crashes into the quartz gargoyle.
The force inflicts a light hit to the chest, a light hit to the head, and a good hit to the head.

A dull golden glow emits from the shield which crashes into the quartz gargoyle.
The force inflicts a good hit to the back, a good strike to the abdomen, and a hard hit to the back.

The force inflicts a strong hit to the right arm, an extremely heavy hit to the back, and a hard hit to the right hand.

The force inflicts a very heavy hit to your left leg.
A quartz gargoyle grumbles and goes still.

The force inflicts a light hit to the chest, and a good hit to the chest.

The force inflicts a good strike to the chest, and a light hit to the abdomen.

The force inflicts a good strike to the left leg, a good strike to the back, and a good strike to the head.

The force inflicts a solid hit to the left arm, a very heavy hit to the head, and a hard hit to the right hand.

The force inflicts an extremely heavy hit to your back.

The force inflicts a light hit to the abdomen, a light hit to the chest, and a good hit to the abdomen.

The force inflicts a glancing strike to the right hand, and a good strike to the abdomen.

The force inflicts a good hit to the back, a good hit to the left leg, and a good hit to the head.

The force inflicts a solid hit to the right hand, a hard hit to the back, and a heavy strike to the head.

The force inflicts a very heavy hit to your left leg, and a heavy strike to your chest..

The force inflicts a light hit to the right hand, and a light hit to the right arm.

The force inflicts a good strike to the right hand, and a good hit to the left leg.

The force inflicts a good strike to the abdomen, a good strike to the head, and a good strike to the neck.

The force inflicts an extremely heavy hit to the abdomen, and a very heavy hit to the right leg.

The force inflicts a very heavy hit to your chest, an extremely heavy hit to your left leg, and a devastating hit to your left leg..

The force inflicts a light hit to the left leg, and a light hit to the chest.

Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 05:17 PM CST
> So...glancing damage with 108 mana..yikes. I'm pretty sure a 108 mana fire ball would wreck someones day..

No, she capped the spell. 'Only' 100 mana total, I'm assuming it drew 85, if chastise has the standard 100 mana cap.

>Your cambrinth orb emits a loud snap as it discharges as much power as necessary, leaving a moderate amount left for future use.

Pants.
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 06:38 PM CST
I think its a stat issue, not sure.

I dont know what the contest is to know what stats are relevant, but it seems above a certain threshhold of monster, knock downs becomes very hard, which makes me think that the mana is not amplifying the stat contest properly.
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 09:17 PM CST
I'll try and chase down some of those messaging bugs when I get a chance (I warned you the messaging is a bit tricky for this one).

What sort of shield you use doesn't matter, so long as it's a shield.

The knock down is based on the TM contest (And if a creature is immune to knockdown in general the spell, unsurprisingly, won't knock them down).

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 09:20 PM CST
The damage runs through the core TM utility like all TM spells.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 09:42 PM CST
Since this is a Paladin spell, does Soul State have an effect on the power of the spell? I'm noticing some people having dull silver and others with a brighter gold. I was wondering if the color of the blast (which seems golden with higher hits) is also reflective of that Paladin's current Soul State.
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 09:43 PM CST
>> The damage runs through the core TM utility like all TM spells.

It seems to be about the same as Strange arrow for damage but the knock down is very handy for their balance.

I ran some casts of chastise, Strange Arrow and Smite Horde.

Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 11:00 PM CST
I was hasty, sorry. I had a chance to play with it more and damage is fine.

Loving the knock down. It's a strong spell in the middle of an attack sequence, and it's pretty.
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 11:09 PM CST
I'm still seeing very sub par damage, and I've yet to knock down a warklin (which can be knocked down pretty easily through normal combat). I can kill them in about 5-6 casts of FST/STRA with medium mana pumped into them, full targetting, I have good discipline and Marshall Orders up.

How does the spell determine if something is immune?

I'll post more logs, but my suspicion is still that the damage of the spell being heavily physical is not interacting well with combat variables, where other multi strike spells (this is all presumption) have a higher percentage of damage from elemental than physical sources.
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 11:13 PM CST
>>Since this is a Paladin spell, does Soul State have an effect on the power of the spell? I'm noticing some people having dull silver and others with a brighter gold. I was wondering if the color of the blast (which seems golden with higher hits) is also reflective of that Paladin's current Soul State.

This its related to mana, but I'll test it.
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 11:33 PM CST
More casts, warklin, confirmed these can be knocked down.

You shove a warklin mauler with tremendous force, knocking it into a sprawling heap.
[You're solidly balanced and in dominating position.]
Roundtime: 3 sec.

R>
The warklin mauler stands back up.

MO(Discipline) and DiG (Intel) is up

You are certain that the armored warklin is healthy.
You are certain that the armored warklin is slightly fatigued.
You are certain that it is definitely weaker than you are.
You are certain that it is a little more agile than you are.
You are certain that it is rather less disciplined than you are.
You are certain that it is not quite as quick to react as you are.
You are certain that it is somewhat less conditioned than you are.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a damite tower shield and a haralun sterak axe, you are certain that the armored warklin is a less skilled opponent.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a haralun sterak axe, you are certain that the armored warklin is a harmless opponent.
If you attacked with a haralun sterak axe you are certain that the enemy would train acceptably.
If you defended by parrying attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train quite badly.
If you defended by evading attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train quite badly.
If you defended by blocking attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train quite badly.

35 mana cast

A shimmering silver glow shines from the shield which crashes into the warklin mauler.
The force inflicts a light hit to the chest, a good hit to the chest, and a good strike to the chest.

45 mana cast

The force inflicts a glancing strike to the left leg, and a glancing strike to the back.

Another 45 mana cast

The force inflicts a good strike to the chest, a glancing strike to the abdomen, a light hit to the back, and a light hit to the abdomen.

Another 45 mana cast

The force inflicts a glancing strike to the head, and a good hit to the abdomen.

50 mana cast

Your cambrinth band emits a loud snap as it discharges all its power to aid your spell.
A stark white light emanates from the shield which crashes into the warklin mauler.
The force inflicts a good strike to the chest.

50 mana cast (20 in prep)

A stark white light emanates from the shield which crashes into the warklin mauler.
The force inflicts a light hit to the head, a good strike to the chest, and a light hit to the neck.

53 mana cast (18 in prep, this hits my cap before i backfire)

Your cambrinth band emits a loud snap as it discharges all its power to aid your spell.
The force inflicts a good hit to the back, a glancing strike to the left leg, a glancing strike to the right leg, and a good strike to the abdomen.

Respectfully, if this spell is working as intended, then the only reason I can see getting it is to get Smite Horde.
Re: Playing with Chastise 02/14/2013 11:35 PM CST
>>Respectfully, if this spell is working as intended, then the only reason I can see getting it is to get Smite Horde.

Because you're fighting the one mob that people are reporting being unable to knock down via the spell while they're able to be knocked down via normal means?
Prev_page Previous 1 3