Prev_page Previous 1 3
Lead 07/07/2003 11:49 AM CDT
I can remember back in the day, when one of our first paladin gurus told us to keep our pie-holes shut about Lead. He told it was terribly over-powered compared to any other ability out there and would definately get downtweaked sometime in the future. The distance into the future would probably depend on how much it got talked about. I find that Lead now gives little in the way of bonuses, but there ARE bonuses, both in attack and defense...noticeable, if small. But Lead seems to cost so little. A paladin of mid-to-high-circle can keep it up almost indefinately, providing a free combat bonus anytime you are in combat with at least one other friend along.

Q.
Re: Lead 07/07/2003 12:08 PM CDT
How much charisma Quick?

Tyden
Re: Lead 07/07/2003 04:46 PM CDT
My charisma is in the low 30s, but it has been there since 50th circle or so. If at 50th circle most paladins can maintain Lead indefinately, it seems to me a useful ability.

Q.
Is Lead dead? 08/10/2003 06:53 PM CDT
Does anyone even use lead anymore? Has it gotten too lame? Is the soul pool hit too large for such a small benefit?

I know I don't use it at all now. When I have used it after it being brought under global caps, I just didn't see much if any boost for such a big soul pool hit for such a short duration. Is it just me that feels that Lead=Lame?

Relayer

http://darkanvil.bravepages.com/Index.html
Re: Is Lead dead? 08/10/2003 07:29 PM CDT
I've only used it like twice the whole life of my paladin

for me the group factor really hinders general use as most people tend to do their own thing during invasions anyway. What I would love to see is it become battle roar-like, but then... territory...

folks standing in a room w/ critters

paladin enters and engages

leads inspiring everyone in the room w/o group

critters die

another paladin enters and leads... hey, two paladins are better'n one

as long as this compact stuff is here we shouldnt have to worry about whos in our group and who isnt.

"everyone is good"

It could still function of however many people are their and charisma (plus other paladins)
Re: Is Lead dead? 08/10/2003 07:48 PM CDT
I didn't use it much before, and now it's a complete waste of my time...and my soul pool. So yes, for me, LEAD is dead.

~Coine

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. -- Herm Albright
Re: Is Lead dead? 08/10/2003 08:49 PM CDT
You hunt with people?

Need a babelfish for DragonRealms?
http://www.bakshiloa.com

Re: Is Lead dead? 08/10/2003 09:05 PM CDT
>You hunt with people?

I hunt with my wife everyday and she's an empath. It just doesn't help as much as me using GOM to repeatedly cast Courage, SR, DA, AS, DIG on her. We used to use lead alot when it lasted 30-40 minutes and it actually made a difference boost wise.

Relayer

http://darkanvil.bravepages.com/Index.html
Re: Is Lead dead? 08/10/2003 09:25 PM CDT
Only time I ever use Lead is during invasions with friends who know how to hunt with me specifcally. During everyday combat I don't ever use it, and it's not cause I don't like it, it's cause I usually hunt alone, or when I hunt with a friend or two they are good enough to handle the multiple critters and lead isn't really needed anyhow. Oh yeah I use lead on quests when engaging a monster for the first time until I get certain app's on it, and see how they fight back.

Ellsdragon
--Weebles wobble but the don't fall down! or do they?!?
Re: Is Lead dead? 08/10/2003 09:54 PM CDT
>You hunt with people?

If that was directed at me: On rare occasions I do, hunting partners usually get in my way of being able to train the way I like to, but I do take time out occasionally to hunt with others. I was speaking more about invasions.

~Coine

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. -- Herm Albright
Re: Is Lead dead? 08/10/2003 11:36 PM CDT
I still use it. Sure its not as powerful a boost as it used to be, but it is still a boost.

--Just a "clueless" Squire

With your shield or on it.
Re: Is Lead dead? 08/11/2003 12:28 AM CDT
I still use Lead every so often, mostly for invasions, yes, or as a last ditch effort when my mana is down, but I use it every now and then.

Absorb...
and Transform!!!
Re: Is Lead dead? 08/11/2003 12:43 AM CDT
I found, with a decent sized group, it lasts longer and gets stronger. The few times I had a serious group(8 people) I went from unable to land a blow(damn thing always dodged), to steady strong or better hits. Same critter, using a 42 mana RW, it still dodged. I've also noticed my group gets more of a boost then I.

As for useage, I prefer to hunt in groups, so I use it a good bit. Not what it was, but once get have four people, its better then any spell(offience or defence) I have or have had casted on me.

Samsaren Remlane
I stand, here and now, proudly declaring, I am a Paladin.
Remember those that came before, remember honor.
Re: Is Lead dead? 08/11/2003 12:55 AM CDT
Lead seems to be practically useless for a group of 2 people.

For a group of 4 or more, though, it gives a MUCH better boost.

I would like to see Lead be made more useful for small groups, though. Very rarely does a paladin find himself in a group bigger than 2 or 3.

Cavalier Calemnon
Re: Is Lead dead? 08/11/2003 01:46 AM CDT
Yes lead is dead, garbage, junk, waste of soul. Main reason you dont see paladins in hunting groups larger then 2 or 3 is cause the stupid critters run off all the time. Its only fair for invasions i wont call it good cause its not.

Tyden
Re: Is Lead dead? 08/11/2003 07:25 AM CDT
Lead is usefull when its needed but i dont see it as something for normal hunting, nor do i presume it was ever intended as such. Its handy in sticky situations though the boosts it provides now are different to the boosts it provided before, IE before it seemed to give a big weapon boost and a big evasion boost, now it seems they are toned right down, though there seems to be a boosts in other areas. ie. multi etc. The difference from what i can see is perhaps before it was changed it actually gave a boost to % of ranks of a couple skills and now it seems to be a reflex and agilitly booster. I could be way of base about that, but thats the way it seems to me.

Rather than see lead just made stronger, i would like to see veriations of lead, IE wheras different leads were available to us to do diferent things, we could have a defence lead where instead of it all going to both defence and attack it would boost the groups defence a lot stronger, or a offence lead where it all goes to offencive boosts.

just a few random thoughts

Michael.
Re: Is Lead dead? 08/11/2003 07:29 AM CDT
Lead is an excellent ability when you look at it by itself.

The problem with lead is that noone generally ever hunts with even two people, let alone the four or more required for the boost to be powerful.

http://www.bakshiloa.com

Re: Is Lead dead? 08/11/2003 08:54 AM CDT
There is a thread in the paladin suggestions about other abilities aside from lead. The more support the more likely it is to be considered.
Re: Is Lead dead? 08/11/2003 11:57 AM CDT
Just my 2 coppers.

I have only used LEAD twice since the changes. First time was a test with 1 or 2 folks joined... barely noticeable boost.. thought it was worthless.

Second time was during the Orcs/Warcats/Skygiants invasions around Shard. Chanting "JOIN FOR LEAD" in the midst of the battle.. got about 10 folks joined.. and we took out multiple skygiants and it allowed others to actually survive battle long enough for us to drop the critters. So.. second attempt showed it was useful.. in a specific situation. As others mentioned; its mostly for invasions with high level critters, when you are a well-known name and get lots of folks to join when you call for followers. Otherwise.. its essentially useless outside that specific situation.

Redarch
Re: Is Lead dead? 08/11/2003 02:56 PM CDT
>Second time was during the Orcs/Warcats/Skygiants invasions around Shard. Chanting "JOIN FOR LEAD" in the midst of the battle.. got about 10 folks joined.. and we took out multiple skygiants and it allowed others to actually survive battle long enough for us to drop the critters. So.. second attempt showed it was useful.. in a specific situation. As others mentioned; its mostly for invasions with high level critters, when you are a well-known name and get lots of folks to join when you call for followers. Otherwise.. its essentially useless outside that specific situation.

Redarch said better what I was trying to say....and most invasions I'm in are rather small with most people doing their own thing.

~Coine

Re: Is Lead dead? 08/12/2003 01:14 AM CDT
>>As others mentioned; its mostly for invasions with high level critters, when you are a well-known name and get lots of folks to join when you call for followers.

Huh... I think you just hit something Profound there, Red. Lead is useful when you yourself are well known, in situations that are bad. Lead seems much more dramatic now.
>>The land was in chaos. The people called out for a hero. Their call was answered by one man... er... dwarf.

Absorb...
and Transform!!!
Re: Is Lead dead? 08/29/2003 11:21 PM CDT
Like many paladin abilities Lead is a limited situation case. Ward, bonding, ease, even light, most of our glyphs are typically useful only for particular situations. While Lead may gain power with enough joined we should keep in mind to test that against what other guilds now have for "lead-like" abilities (barb roars) and how effective those work. If you have a barb needing only 2 folks joined or a similar bonus to lead with more joined it only furthers to decrease the value of a paladin.

Who do you want to join, the guy who already slices and dices things and can thin out the swarm, or the guy that is known as a wall but wont kill fast enough during an invasion swarm? My money would go to the barb. Not to mention why bother joining a paladin at all if you are a mage slinging spells or a ranger/thief sniping from the shadows? Lead has most definitely lost a lot of its purpose and usefulness to the guild.

Shivus
Lead is not only dead, its buried 09/11/2003 08:33 AM CDT
I honestly see no reason why I as a Paladin will ever lead again. Before it was decided by the powers that be that lead was too powerful, I could lead in adanf and get the whole shing star in battle, yada yada yada...and I saw a noticeable improvment in not only my skills, but those who had joined me. When swarms came in, I was able to take warriors out with4 or 5 solid bone jarring hits...I felt as if my lead was meaningful....and now
<so and so> looks to you for guidance....in that case about the only guidance I can offer is run...because, while not incredibly big, and being just shy of 60 circles...my lead isnt worth the energy it takes to type "lead"...my weapon skills dont improve, my defensive skills dont improve...at least not perceptibly...so it becomes a moot point.
Personally, if I was in battle, and joined up with a Paladin that was almost 60th, and he leads...as I look to him for guidance, he would be most likely saying...

> "You want guidance?"
> you nod
>The Paladin looks around quickly, surveyong the battle ahead.
> "ok, see that Barbarian over there?
> you nod
> "go join him and have him roar, its our only chance.....

and thats my take on Lead.

Konnor
We are but travelers in this wilderness known as life, and the most we could hope to find, is an honest friend.
Re: Lead is not only dead, its buried 09/11/2003 11:32 AM CDT
I think lead is only useless in its current form because DragonRealms rarely requires party hunting and that the party system itself is pretty convoluted.

http://www.bakshiloa.com/libraryindex.html

Re: Lead is not only dead, its buried 09/11/2003 11:35 AM CDT
>party system itself is pretty convoluted.

>party
You are already in a position to party.

::nods::

-Slaris, Tursa reness kad fruna.
Re: Lead is not only dead, its buried 09/11/2003 11:39 AM CDT
>>You are already in a position to party.

Lucky punk. :(

>party
You try to raise the roof, but fail!
You are stunned!

>health
You are full of life.
You are full of spirit.
You have cuts and bruises on the left arm and cuts and bruises on the right arm.

>party.
You are in no condition to party.

Re: Lead is not only dead, its buried 09/11/2003 11:48 AM CDT
Check your stances.

>stance party 100
You are now set to party with 100% of your ability.

<g>

-Slaris, Tursa reness kad fruna.
Re: Lead is not only dead, its buried 09/11/2003 12:31 PM CDT
I'll tell you that I have had great opportunities to lead many groups into battle over my years prior to the change in lead and after. The bottom line is that a group is better off having a barbarian lead in battle than a paladin (taking away other factors such as common sense, leadership ability, and tactics) after the changes to the lead ability. That is obviously very difficult for me to say, because Madigan is pretty darn good at group combat. However, if the barbarian is going to give the group the best opportunity to be successful, you have to step aside and follow.

Konnor, I agree with you. I think the decrease in the ability was too severe considering the limitations already in place concerning the ability (i.e. good soul state, limited uses based on soul, and the requirement of a group).
However, those concerns were voiced by me and others, and (we assume) considered and discounted for presumably a good reason.

I would rather use my soul on increasing mana at this point.

Madigan
Re: Lead is not only dead, its buried 09/11/2003 12:35 PM CDT
Yeah.... I was real ticked when I first saw how butchered lead was... been hoping for improvements to it but none have come.

Lead sucks.

Cavalier Calemnon
Re: Lead is not only dead, its buried 09/11/2003 01:07 PM CDT
Seems to me lead was our only good ability to end a fight in victory (I used to use it years ago but not anymore, for the obvious reasons). Now our abilities seem more suited simply to ending a fight (Banner, Sentinel's Resolve) or lasting longer in one (Holy Warrior, Anti-Stun, Divine Armor). Now if we were holding back the vicious hordes while others escaped, this would be a good thing. But there is simply no or few situations in which increased defensive abilities do anything to help win a fight.

If lead was determined to be too powerful, but Barbarian roars are a-okay...can we get a look taken at maybe putting lead up near one of the roars in terms of effectiveness? I know Barbarians are the weapons' masters and all but it seems like we should be able to do something offensively too.

Last issue...any difference when using Lead if under the effect of Marshal Order? Maybe it just takes that to kick it up into the "useful" category?

Arcelebor
Re: Lead is not only dead, its buried 09/11/2003 01:19 PM CDT
Marshalls Order doesnt do a darn thing....at least not for me...I think it may have something positive if you increase Charisma...but i really dont know for sure....

Konnor

We are but travelers in this wilderness known as life, and the most we could hope to find, is an honest friend.
Re: Lead is not only dead, its buried 09/11/2003 01:47 PM CDT
Lead has left the building.

~Coine

"Walks are therapeutic, especially when taken by people that annoy me." - Coine
Re: Lead is not only dead, its buried 09/11/2003 01:51 PM CDT
>Marshalls Order doesnt do a darn thing....at least not for me...I think it may have something positive if you increase Charisma...but i really dont know for sure....

30 charisma. MO helps with other things, especially halt, but haven't seen much of an improvement of Lead with it. Global cap maybe?

~Coine

Re: Lead is not only dead, its buried 09/11/2003 06:42 PM CDT
Fix lead! :( *Crosses his fingers and prays...*

You've got to be taught to hate and fear,
you've got to be taught from year to year,
it's got to be drummed into your dear little ear---
you've got to be carefully taught!
Re: Lead is not only dead, its buried 09/12/2003 01:08 AM CDT
Lead works fine. The bonus is there and is quite noticable.

The problem is with the whole way it's set up group-wise.

There's no logic in having it work only if you're at the 'front' of the party. This is mainly because holding everyone's hand does not = 'front of the party'.

Along with this, situations that call for really justified lead tend to be situations where everyone isn't able to hold hands, stay in one room, and never disband.

This is my take on lead.

Every 10 circles, you can lead one extra person, starting at 1 person. So a circle 2 to 9 can lead one person, a circle 50 can lead 6 people, and someone like Relayer can lead 11 people.

Don't make lead require a group. Make it require people in the room.

Lead should work something like teach. You should be able to LEAD <PERSON>.

Every minute, some lead logic system of justice checks to see if you're still encouraging the people you're leading. If they're in the room, you are. If they're out of the room, you aren't.

Maybe also include a LEAD GROUP verb that makes you try to lead as many people in the group you are in. That way, someone who can lead 6 or so people doesn't have to type out "LEAD JOE" "LEAD MARY" "LEAD BOB" and so on. But, if they want to, they can.

I think lead would work a TON better just by changing the way it works group-wise to this.

Re: Lead is not only dead, its buried 09/12/2003 01:25 AM CDT
>Lead works fine. The bonus is there and is quite noticable.

I agree to disagree with you.

Other than that, I like your suggestions.

~Coine

Re: Lead is not only dead, its buried 09/12/2003 03:17 AM CDT
Eeesh, rue the day...
Gotta say, I guess with Pure, nice suggestion. As for the bonus, I'll take lead with a group of 3 behind me, over any roar any day, especially with MO now that I have it.

Samsaren Remlane
Re: Lead is not only dead, its buried 09/12/2003 03:20 AM CDT
>As for the bonus, I'll take lead with a group of 3 behind me, over any roar any day,

How often do people normally hunt in groups of 4, though?

Cavalier Calemnon
Re: Lead is not only dead, its buried 09/12/2003 04:13 AM CDT
At least once a day.

Samsaren Remlane
Re: Lead is not only dead, its buried 09/12/2003 09:08 AM CDT
<<<How often do people normally hunt in groups of 4, though?

Almost never.

Humm "Proud Ears" Breaux

Prydaen Refugee Freedom Fighter.
Prev_page Previous 1 3