Prev_page Previous 1
Lead comparison 04/14/2003 07:33 PM CDT
When compared to special abilities of other guilds, lead seems to be on the low end of the spectrum. When a barb dances dragon, he has stamina bonus, strength, agility, increased stamina, etc etc. Khris [used to :P] give a huge bonus whatever the person wanted, depending on what kinda khri was used. The only real thing that lead had going for it was that it improved combat performance of the group; however, after being brought in-line with the global caps, its use seems severely limited.

There is no other bonus with it, and the amount of combat effectiveness it adds seems to be severely lacking too. Like the previous posts mentioned, it would be great if lead had a much more diverse use; seeing as how it is one of the most restrictive abilities when compared to the other guilds (dancing and khris, you don't need to have anyone joined, or a good "soul"... just the "power" to use it).

The greatest weapon is willpower. How many times in history have wars been won by peasants? How many times has an inspiring leader rallied forces to win against overwhelming odds? Seeing as how the paladin profession is so restrictive in itself - all our "powers" are linked to soul - we should at LEAST be able to do what people say we're put in this game for. And that is to defend, to lead, and to rally.

Please consider tweaking lead to encompass a broader range of bonuses. The ability as it is right now, is not very useful in the player aspect. The numbers may make sense in the background, but during an invasion or hunting in a group, the bonus seems laughable. A good RW or SR seems to offer a bigger bonus to one's abilities than our trademark skill.

Thank you for the time in reading this,
Profesie
Re: Lead comparison 04/14/2003 07:53 PM CDT
I'm with you Profesie, but I think when I posted on the same subject not too long ago, I was told that Barbarian roars had not been brought in line with the global caps. As a result, the HUGE difference between the two abilities may be attributble to that fact.

However, as it stands, a group is better served being led by a barbarian at this point in time. Sad.

Madigan
Re: Lead comparison 04/14/2003 08:08 PM CDT
I was actually more focused on dances, but that's a good point too.

The main point of the post was the disappointment I felt after the recent invasions. Groups of people being led by paladins to their deaths, whereas a single barbarian could cleave through ranks of invaders so easily. Just, doesn't make sense to me. This is a game afterall, and not some army commercial. "Army of one" :P

Profesie
Re: Lead comparison 04/15/2003 06:38 AM CDT
I'd also like to see the you must be in a group as well as leading the group catch of lead removed to make it easier for playability

(awaits a random person to say, "How do you expect to lead someone thats not there?!")

New lead:

I would like to see lead become more like a area affect. It would boost everyone in the room not just those in the paladins group...

>(mages and non-mages are fighting invasion critters somewheres)

> PaladinX just arrived

> PaladinX begins to advance on one of the creatures.

> paladinX leads inspiring everyone in the room

> evil baddies die

the end
Re: Lead comparison 04/15/2003 09:51 AM CDT
<<I was actually more focused on dances, but that's a good point too.>>

My bad Profesie, I read dance and thought roar. Either way, your point is well taken. Darned bunch of idiots who would join a paladin over a barbarian presently.

Madigan
Re: Lead comparison 04/16/2003 10:36 PM CDT
>Darned bunch of idiots who would join a paladin over a barbarian presently.

Well if all your cared about was having leet skillz maybe so. I feel there can be other reasons for joining a guild.

Michael.
Re: Lead comparison 04/16/2003 11:58 PM CDT
>Well if all your cared about was having leet skillz maybe so. I feel there can be other reasons for joining a guild

PS. that is not to detract from the current discusion though, i do believe Lead can be expanded in some ways. One thought is to have a Glyph with similar effects to lead that can be traced on oneself without being in a group.
Re: Lead comparison 04/17/2003 01:16 AM CDT
Michael,

>>Well if all your cared about was having leet skillz maybe so. I feel there can be other reasons for joining a guild.

Ummmm.. I think you mis-read his post. He wasn't asking "why would someone join a Paladin GUILD". But rather, "why, during an invasion, would anyone want to join a Paladin to fight, when joining a Barbarian gives the group a MUCH larger combat boost".

Now, with that distinction, is it more beneficial to join a barbarian for roar boosts for group combat? At present, yes. Am I going to run around screaming "The sky is falling"? Heck no. I trust the GMs to do what they said.. bring all boosts "under the cap". So its taken a bit longer for the Barbarians than it did for our Lead. <shrug> These things happen.

I'm going to reserve comment until the caps are put in place for everyone.. and our HSN goodies are released and we get a chance to evaluate them.. should we start a pool now on how many "tweaks" it will take before they reach their final version? <grin>.

I predict a "WOW" initial release, followed by screams of anguish by others, followed by a drastic downtweak.. later followed by a minor uptweak to the final version. This is not due to any "psychic" powers of prediction.. just going by how most "updates" have been handled over the years.

Redarch
Re: Lead comparison 04/17/2003 02:39 AM CDT
>Ummmm.. I think you mis-read his post. He wasn't asking "why would someone join a Paladin GUILD". But rather, "why, during an invasion, would anyone want to join a Paladin to fight, when joining a Barbarian gives the group a MUCH larger combat boost".

I hate it when i look stupid :-(

Michael.

P.S muh mistake
Re: Lead comparison 04/17/2003 09:37 AM CDT
<<>Ummmm.. I think you mis-read his post. He wasn't asking "why would someone join a Paladin GUILD". But rather, "why, during an invasion, would anyone want to join a Paladin to fight, when joining a Barbarian gives the group a MUCH larger combat boost".

I hate it when i look stupid :-(

Michael.>>

Twenty lashes! ::grin::

As with Redarch, I'm curious how lead will stack up to roars after roars are brought under the global caps. I am sure there are arguments on both sides of the fence as to who's guild ability should be greater with a group. I certaintly think we have the better argument, but it will be fun to watch how it plays out behind the GM curtain because that is where the battle will be won or loss as to our continued function as combat leaders.

Madigan
Re: Lead comparison 04/17/2003 10:10 AM CDT
Madigan,

I must be getting "catapult-shy".. but as I read this statement in your post:

>>the battle will be won or loss as to our continued function as combat leaders.

The first thought crossing my mind was.. "what gives you the idea that we are supposed to function as combat leaders", let alone "continue"? I know there's been a lot of messaging from other paladin players about how THEY see us with that function, but, other than "LEAD" which has always been problematic, what else says the GMs see that as our function? Or, looking at it another way, from what I've seen, Barbarians have about as much claim to that "function" based on their group combat boosting abilities as we do.

And please.. let's not get into another drawn out debate about who should/shouldn't/could/couldn't be combat leaders. My point is that the designers, IF, they intended us to fulfill this function, sure gave us some wonky tools for it. Lead.. great boost.. but used once..maybe twice every couple days then spend the rest of your time recovering from its use. Then they came up with the soul pool implementation. GREAT idea, now we can actually use LEAD a number of times without getting wiped out for days..oh, but immediately followed by bringing it in line with the CAPS.. now we can use it multiple times.. if you want to get a weak boost multiple times that is. And by the way.. we had ONE really good combat group boost.. how many do other guilds have? I can think of at least 3 that have one, if not more.

All of the above is not a complaint per se.. but more of a few questions:

1) Is it a design concept for Paladin's to be combat Leaders? If yes, then where are our tools that make the rest of the populace go "Hooray.. the Paladins are here to lead us into combat.. join up.. join up" that we used to get with LEAD before the caps.

2) If it is not part of the design.. then why is so much of our "stuff" geared around group buffs.. that incidentally, we need to carefully choose who joins us before we cast.. because THEY can adversely affect our boosts simply by joining our group (and the "they" aren't just barbarians).

Either we are to function as combat leaders, and need new/better tools that actually work, or we are simply another guild with group combat buffs that stays alive a couple more hits longer than others do.

I'm still willing to stand by and see what the proposed "boosts" from HSN will do before I complain (too much more than I am now).. but I'm not really seeing us with the combat leadership role as it stands now, from a purely "tools and abilities" standpoint. RP? Yep, in many minds, that's our function and folks will RP it that way. But as for hard and fast "tools" to fulfill this? Not as it stands today.

Redarch
Re: Lead comparison 04/17/2003 10:20 AM CDT
To me, "combat leader" would be a guild speciailizing in a combat skill as their primary. Weapons, and Armor are the two COMBAT oriented skills. Barbs are weapons, and we are armor? You don't learn either by being out of combat? (grin) Well... being taught, teaching sissies! (ducks)

Good points Redarch. We really, don't have a lot of "group" buffs. We have Courage, and TR. Everything else has to be cast separately. It would be nice, if our spells functioned like ES does now. With higher mana and magic, it will spill over onto everyone in our group. As of right now, in order to group AS... prep cast prep cast prep cast prep cast!

And I don't see anyone here as "complaining" but offering constructive criticism to what we've noticed. The numbers and calculations to lead might look good on paper, but how many GM's do you see using lead on a day-to-day basis? Its merely pointing out the short-comings to one of our main abilities is all. There are complaints, constructive criticism, and discussion. I think the past few posts have swung back and forth between the last two. :)

Profesie
Re: Lead comparison 04/17/2003 12:45 PM CDT

First.. lead does not meet my expectations or for effect. It does a little, but stops short of being useful.

Folks who step up and lead a group with actions, orders, and suggestions do not neccesairly have to "lead", or "roar kaith" to be considered leaders. To me, its more about how a leader acts, as opposed to the mundane benefits.

>Either we are to function as combat leaders, and need new/better tools that actually work, or we are simply another guild with group combat buffs that stays alive a couple more hits longer than others do.

I prefer the latter, and dearly hope we get stuff to help ourselves stay alive while taking even more hits than we already can.

>but I'm not really seeing us with the combat leadership role as it stands now, from a purely "tools and abilities" standpoint. RP? Yep, in many minds, that's our function and folks will RP it that way. But as for hard and fast "tools" to fulfill this? Not as it stands today.

I would like to see that opened in both directions, and not just be left with RP as the only defining quality. Enhancing that leader style for those that wish it, but having more ways of being a single entity (heh - that army of one commercial just popped in my head), armor prime and SELF USABLE combat stuff at our disposal. Un-nerfing lead or changing its effects and allowing self use would go a long way towards opening up the spectrum.

Folks have stated that lead is basically an all-in-one courage, rw, sr, as, and tr. I have no idea if thats true, but I do know if I'm leading a group, I've already done that stuff. Is lead seemingly nerfed because we smash the caps with our magic then try to pop a lead on top of it? I'd rather lead just drop temp ranks on my primary weapon, parry, shield, evasion, and perception. I'd also like the option to lead normal, or lead all out. I wouldn't care if smoked my whole soul pool or chalked my soulstate in one shot if it would let me break a monster truck in half with my bare hands and inspire my group to do likewise. In other words, something spectacular, not just a run-of of the mill rallying of the common troops.

I'm sick of playing a paladin with these scholarly, uppity, holier-than-thou, almost gentlemanly helpful approaches to things. 'Zerkin in plate would flat out rock.

Maybe we could have a second type of lead, one that goes all out .. draining mana, spirit health, and soulstate while we jump from missle to melee and get in some quality "beating the snot out of the baddies" time in. Just allow us a way to stop it, so we can either sacrifice it all and die, or collapse and crawl to the beer cart. I'm sure you folks could expand on the all out thing.

-Slaris

My sword says "Boom Baby!" when I kill things.
Re: Lead comparison 04/17/2003 03:41 PM CDT
<My sword says "Boom Baby!" when I kill things. >

well my sword says "Boom Boom Dollar" when I kill things.

That's my 82 Cents and I don't care if you don't want a damn Nickel

~Bombmaster Blasword
Re: Lead comparison 04/17/2003 03:43 PM CDT
<My sword says "Boom Baby!" when I kill things. >

>well my sword says "Boom Boom Dollar" when I kill things.

Um. Mine says "Boom Boom Washington" when i kill things.

heh couldn't resist. :P

Re: Lead comparison 04/17/2003 10:46 PM CDT
Ok, Let's start with a couple of assumptions:

1) Combat buffs may NOT break the "caps" (whatever those might be).
2) Lead will NOT go back to what it was before because it busted the caps.

So, let's clean the slate and come up with some ideas for our P-Team.

Assuming that we ARE meant to be "combat leaders".. ie. the ones that folks want to flock to and join when big bad things invade, what should we have that meets the assumptions above? Here are some ideas that occur to me. Feel free to blow holes in these.. tell me where I've been smoking samatak, etc. I would "prefer" however that you actually offer constructive ideas/recommendations/things you would change rather than "that stinks" or "you folks can't do that".

a) A modified Group Courage:We need a courage that ISN'T watered-down to nothing if you get more than 4 or 5 folks joined to you. Maybe a courage that boosts vitality by a "percentage". How we calculate the percentage is open for debate but my initial idea is, the percentage boost between current vit level and "cap" is affected by the PM level of the caster, regardless of the number of folks joined. A paladin with 300 PM would boost the group to 30% of the difference between one's current vit (say the "cap" is the equivalent of 70 stamina and the person in the group has 10 stamina.. that leaves 60 stamina equivalent left to be "filled") and capped level. So.. in our example, that person who joined the paladin with 300 PM get's a 30% boost towards the cap.. so for a 10 stamina person, they get the equivalent of having 40 stamina. A Paladin with 50 PM gives a 5% boost, etc. That way, everyone that joins gets a boost.. and there's an advantage to joining a more skilled paladin regardless of circle..and no one breaks the cap.

b) A group balance boost, a TR that actually boosts the group to incredibly balanced and it lasts for longer than the cast RT. I'm willing to take just about any length of time.. so long as it lasts longer than it takes to close to melee <mutter>.

c) How about a combat "charge" maneuver. Everyone that's joined to a paladin closes to melee 3 times as fast as others who try to advance solo. Who knows.. maybe we'd actually be able to get close enough to swing our sword at least once or twice before a caster or archer took out the invader for a change?

Any or all of these could definitely make it more likely for others to WANT to join a paladin to attack things during an invasion.

Redarch
Re: Lead comparison 04/18/2003 07:26 AM CDT
>so for a 10 stamina person, they get the equivalent of having 40 stamina.

>and there's an advantage to joining a more skilled paladin regardless of circle..and no one breaks the cap.

I believe that the younger folks are seeing bigger boosts, just because of the numbers, but I also belive that a 30 point stat jump is way out there, in the fast lane. Generally, I don't like the spell for hunting, and only use it for forging, or nearly dead empaths. Just the name itself courage should mean more than stamina, in my opinion.

Maybe courage lifts your spirit, and spirit health. Maybe there would be a benefit for an incredibly strong spirit at some point.

>b) A group balance boost, a TR that actually boosts the group to incredibly balanced and it lasts for longer than the cast RT.

The spell should be worth more than carving lockpicks. I agree completely that TR should work like centering, or SuF, instead of the oneshot waste of a spellslot that it is.

>c) How about a combat "charge" maneuver. Everyone that's joined to a paladin closes to melee 3 times as fast as others who try to advance solo. Who knows.. maybe we'd actually be able to get close enough to swing our sword at least once or twice before a caster or archer took out the invader for a change?

How about a guild ability that paladins just advance quicker. Under the same scam as arrange, slip, choke, and carving lockpicks, how about paladins just skip past pole range, or start at pole. I'd even take a retreat penalty above and beyond the checks that are there now if I could get to melee faster. I only really retreat when training ranged, so it may not be that big of a deal to me personally, otherwise I just kill whats at melee (most of the time <g>).

Use the verb advance <creature> quick .. zip to melee.

-Slaris

>I would "prefer" however that you actually offer constructive ideas/recommendations/things you would change rather than "that stinks" or "you folks can't do that".

I really tried.
Re: Lead comparison 04/18/2003 08:53 AM CDT
Slaris,

>>How about a guild ability that paladins just advance quicker.

Such a thing has been announced and listed on our "proposed" spell list for a long time. I do expect such a thing to happen... eventually. Who knows, it might even be part of the hinted offensive and defensive maneuvers Rod gave teasers about. And those are supposed to come during the HSN releases in the next few months. I'm just proposing that others who join a paladin's group when this effect/maneuver/ability is in use.. get to advance quicker too.

I think you and I are approaching this from different directions.

My approach is "What can we add to the Paladins to make OTHER citizens want to join him/her during intense battle such as invasions". Yours appears to be "what should a paladin have to increase their hunting ability, solo or in groups".

Not faulting you, or saying you don't have valid points, because you do (30 point stat jump for a spell cast IS kinda out there.. shoulda looked at my numbers better before making things up for an example). Its just that I'm trying to approach this from a "group combat during invasions" angle. Once we have some ideas.. we really DO need to check them against the normal day-to-day ways that paladins could use them.. but I'm trying to think of what would make us that "Shining beacon, inspiring all who follow to do their utmost to defeat the foe" that makes folks JUMP to join a Paladin when they enter the room during an invasion and not so much "How do we make day-to-day hunting more effective".

Redarch
Re: Lead comparison 04/18/2003 11:22 AM CDT
>>How about a guild ability that paladins just advance quicker.

>Such a thing has been announced and listed on our "proposed" spell list for a long time. I do expect such a thing to happen...

I had heard rumblings from, vegascon was it .. that Solomon himself had said that Paladins would have this ability. I personally don't know for sure, as I wasn't there. I hope it is an ability - not a glyph, not a spell, just a flat out option using advance or engage -- advance creature being normal, advance creature quick being the zip to melee. Minimally, I hope it workes something like that and with a bit of luck that can extend to a group, or at least to those in a group that are already advancing - so empaths in a group don't end up at melee with the baddies.

I don't feel that it warrants any whacky holy, spiritual, justice messaging, other than the "You take a run at blah blah" and followed with "You close to melee range blah blah blah". That way hopefully it integrates easily with engagement, and just jumps past pole range. I would like it to be an option, however, and not hard coded to always be on or off.

>I think you and I are approaching this from different directions.

Yes, we are. I am more interested in getting away from the group requirement tools. I have no problems with our spells and abilities extending to groups. I believe that in order to be a leader, a Paladin must first learn how to lead. How does a paladin know what tactics to use if some spells cannot be used, except in trial and error mode? What if Courage, or lead would have been a better choice than TR? What if SR on an empath would have better supported the group instead of that SF on the baddie? IC, I would rather that these spells - the helper spells anyways - be self castable, and extend to the group with skill (read: knowledge).

To that end, our glyphs, and spells should be self traceable, and self castable for the same or similar group effect. I like how Courage works (I just don't like the limited effects), and I like stackable effects. I would like AS to work like ES, I would like TR to work like SuF. I would like AS with enough skill to act like MES - extending to the group. I would like TR to work like a group SuF. That kinda thing.

>Its just that I'm trying to approach this from a "group combat during invasions" angle.

I'm struggling with trying to develop with the invasion in mind. I'm getting up there in circles, and still can't touch the majority of invasion critters. Its been betterrecently; some ogres in haven, little goblins in crossing which was cool, but now swinging the other way - too low. In the bigger invasions, my skills are going to relegate me to a dragger glypher - not something I'm interested in. If I can fight them, I will, if not .. I usually just log off. This is not to say anything bad, these bigger guys are needed, and I'm sure there are many who enjoy it - I don't, and choose not to participate. It's not a slam on the GM's for running an invasion of whatever level either, they will certainly not please everyone.

>Yours appears to be "what should a paladin have to increase their hunting ability, solo or in groups".

This is where I'd like to see us better. It is admittedly a big part of my character, and I'll say I'm biased towards combat, and kicking butt in general. I've said before, I play Slaris as a warrior, because thats how much I enjoy combat. I do not see our abilities as a replacement for the earned ranks, but enahancements is what were all talking about.

>but I'm trying to think of what would make us that "Shining beacon, inspiring all who follow to do their utmost to defeat the foe" that makes folks JUMP to join a Paladin when they enter the room during an invasion and not so much "How do we make day-to-day hunting more effective".

I'm trying to approach it from a "I will use these abilities in my normal activities" angle. I am not opposed to your reasoning or motives, and am quite aware of the "advance .. you stop because the critter is dead" thing. Most importantly, I would hate to see more Alahmif's Gift type stuff -- by that I mean very limited, and very restricted to single, or a small number of scenarios. Let the thinking, designing, coding, qa, and implementation time mean something by actually being used and also not restricted to the top 10th of the guild to really be useful.

-Slaris

I need food.
Re: Lead comparison 04/18/2003 01:36 PM CDT
Slaris,

I totally agree with your viewpoint of needing tools and things to help us in combat generally. If it helps a group hunting, fine.

And you kind of got ahead of me, because that was going to be my next thing. After we had generated some ideas for the P-team and others to consider which would makes us the type of person others facing daunting combat would WANT to join, I was going to move on to ideas about solo hunting/small group, day-to-day buff ideas.

But since you started on that already....

>>I hope it is an ability - not a glyph, not a spell, just a flat out option using advance or engage -- advance creature being normal, advance creature quick being the zip to melee.

Reading between the lines of what Rod said at the last Guild Meeting, I think that's why he kept calling it an offensive and defensive "maneuver". He was rather careful NOT to call them spells or glyphs. Maybe I'm putting my own desires into this interpretation, but that's the idea I took away.. these would be things "inherent" in being a paladin, and not based on magic/glyphs/etc. At this point.. we'll just have to wait and see.

>>Minimally, I hope it workes something like that and with a bit of luck that can extend to a group, or at least to those in a group that are already advancing - so empaths in a group don't end up at melee with the baddies.

Ohh.. good point. This ability, if it did extend to the group, should NOT just jump everyone in the group to melee.. or we'd get a lot of "battle empaths" killed when the darvenger turned to face the empath <squish>. That seems a reasonable compromise.. only those in the group that choose to advance.. get to melee faster. <nods>

>>That way hopefully it integrates easily with engagement, and just jumps past pole range. I would like it to be an option, however, and not hard coded to always be on or off.

Again, we are brain-storming and tossing out ideas. Its up to the P-team to determine if it is a)feasible within the code and b)appropriate for a Paladin. Who knows.. maybe one of our off-the-wall ideas might trigger something that THEY come up with because they are more knowledgeable in the code and what can be done. So far, I think we both have come up with some possibilities. I'm hoping we get more input from others for the P-team to consider.

>>How does a paladin know what tactics to use if some spells cannot be used, except in trial and error mode?

Ohh.. I agree. You sound much like Rock did. The only way to LEARN how to effectively lead in combat.. is to "lead in combat". Gather friends.. fight stuff that's a bit challenging for you solo and experiment with spells/abilities/glyphs and determine what works best in what situations. I'm not expecting some "type secret cheat code here" kind of ability to boost the Paladin to capped performance.. causing all the populace to gather and watch in awe. And it is up to US to spend the time, blood, and coin to test and learn how to do this in groups. Right now however, it is difficult to find folks willing to group to hunt.. at least at my level. I assume the same problem exists for all Paladins. The others need to know there IS a definite advantage to "over-hunting and surviving", which gives them incentive to seek a paladin to form a hunting group for better training, better coin, and higher chance of survival. That's not the case as I see it today.

>>In the bigger invasions, my skills are going to relegate me to a dragger glypher

See, this is the key. Those folks who are close to the line like you, should WANT to find another paladin to join.. or get others to join YOU because the group boosts then allow all of the group to survive better than each member in the group could solo. Unfortunately.. about the time you gather enough folks.. cast enough spells to boost everyone.. and finally close to melee.. the critters are already dead. We need to get the other guilds to WANT to join us.. use their group boosts to add to ours and make a combat team that rolls through Cyclops and Mammoths and such as if they were leucs. Sure, there will always be the few who can kill everything going solo.. for a bit, and that's fine for them. That's not what we Paladins are about in my opinion. But before we will actually GET folks to join us when we call out on the battlefield.. they have to be reasonably sure that they WILL get a boost/advantage if they join us.. otherwise.. they'll go on about their business solo as they do now.

Redarch
Re: Lead comparison 04/18/2003 04:56 PM CDT
<<I'm not really seeing us with the combat leadership role as it stands now, from a purely "tools and abilities" standpoint. RP? Yep, in many minds, that's our function and folks will RP it that way. But as for hard and fast "tools" to fulfill this? Not as it stands today.>>

Hey there Redarch. You asked one particular question based on my rant/post concerning paladin combat leaders. My belief that we are front-line commanders is purely personal, although supported by many IG things (i.e. Lead and TR). However, as you know, we have very little guild definition from official sources.

As to your statement above that I quoted, I agree with that 100%, and that is my complaint.

Madigan
Re: Lead comparison 04/18/2003 05:49 PM CDT
Madman,

>>You asked one particular question based on my rant/post concerning paladin combat leaders.

Yep, you made one comment, that triggered me to respond in a half-kidding way.. but then led me to hi-jack your comment and turn it into a discussion on what we think MIGHT be worthwhile combat leader tools/abilities.

Feel free to read through my and Slaris' ramblings and pipe in with any suggestions/additions/rejections of our brain-storming.

I'm really hoping we can trigger something that makes the GMs and/or P-Team rub their chins thoughtfully, thinking "We can't do that.. but maybe we could....."

Thoughts/ideas/creativity... its not just limited to the P-Team or GMs.. we all need to give input/reasonings. Obviously they are the ones that know what can and can't be done.. but we might just get them moving in a previously unconsidered direction that we will like.

And even if nothing ever comes of it.. it'll help us all generate what WE think we should have <grin>

Redarch
Re: Lead comparison 04/19/2003 08:04 PM CDT
Personally, I'd like to see more sacrifice type things. The idea of guarding at melee(guarding someone already engaged) or shield guarding another, loosing that portion of our defence. The suggestion of being able to drag someone while we have a shield in our hands would be wonderful too. Given the way the caps have hit lead(which, its still pretty high, if I can take a morunyn with it, at 30s in circle) I don't expect to see someone of the WOW mentality. I'd rather have the few little things already suggested, faster melee closing and so forth.

Something I'd like to see come around, and plays into the aura suggestion, is a bonus to certain resistances for being in the paladins group. Perhaps a second chance to block a spell. Working as follows.. Monster X casts spell at Bob, the bard. Phred, the paladin leading the group, makes a standard resistance(checks as WvW or however the spell checks) and attempts to stop it himself(perhaps weakening the spell). If Phred fails to stop aformentioned spell, Bob makes his resistance attempt.
This would do little to nothing for the paladin himself, but would aid the group quite a bit. Just an idea..

Samsaren Remlane
Re: Lead comparison 04/22/2003 01:27 PM CDT
This kinda just hit me when I read someone say "in order to LEAD IN COMBAT you need to practice LEADING in combat...

Would it be possible.. to make lead less of an ability... but a skill? with associated verbs etc. Make it a Paladin only Lore skill... and give us a set of abilities that teach leadership... and have tactical advantages in combat... not sure what they could be... BUT... you think that could work?
Re: Lead comparison 04/22/2003 02:05 PM CDT
Anyone remember being able to announce that you were casting courage and having people run to join up? If it is an intended design logic for paladins to be leaders then we need an undisputed benefit in order to attract "followers". I don't see that happening to any large extent with our current spells and lead ability.

When/if we see the development of a paladin "aura" (as described in a few posts that seemed agreeable to the masses and management) how about allowing a constant group effect which can then be supplemented by the "lead" command? That is: by having a group (1 or more) the paladin conveys a benefit similar to the current lead effect. This effect is cumulatively larger to all participants as determined by the number of persons in the group (1 person = 5% stat increase, 2 = 10%, etc to "caps".) The number of stats or skills effected could be determined by the effective aura of the leading paladin. Should the paladin then choose to supplement this effect by using a lead command s/he would increase the bonuses and possibly add even more benefits to the combat effectiveness of the group, again based on aura, skills, circles, etc of the leading paladin. The effect could also be determined in a manner similar to the "number of students" as calculated by teaching skill, for example.

Combine this with numerous previously mentioned ideas and we have a 'wow' factor to provide an incentive for having a paladin leading groups. It was my understanding that the leadership "skills" attributed to paladins were in place to enhance the guild skill set as well as contribute to the RP environment (tough to RP solo.) Therefore, the ability to provide not just tangible but substantial rewards for leading a group seems to be an acceptable expectation.

As an analogy, "Alexander the Great" (substute Lanival if an OOC reference is found to be objectionable) would inspire troops simply by sending his banner to lead them. If he also chose to personally lead them into battle his physical presence would inspire more troops and to greater effectiveness. If he further chose to personally charge in with his closest retainers those persons would be inspired to acts of near heroism for the duration of that combat (or possibly the headsman's axe shortly thereafter if their efforts were found lacking.)

Not an entirely new idea, but perhaps a new way of expressing a good idea while a bit of attention seems drawn in this direction.

Cheers - Cyllwdd
Re: Lead comparison 04/22/2003 09:51 PM CDT
When I look at it there really is only so far you can go with boosters etc. since the cap system now exists. It is hard to make something be a "hands down" premium boost when other abilities all approach the caps in one way or another. When looking at boosters you also can not, or should not seperate out the effects of area effect abilities etc. In ways I see those right now as circumventing the cap system. Same with area effect magic resistance.

To gain the most bang we either need area effect leadership abilities that cause rt's and stuns to foes as well as offer defensive area effect features such as shield wall etc. Further the expansion into tactics would also provided the best results, where by use of special tactics you gain a playable advantage on a group of foes.

The issue at it's crux is the factness that essentially every guild is developing some form of area effect and or group ability system. In light of that it is playably difficult to create anything in the game that is going to make paladins shine as those you want to be joined to. Unless, we develop the BASF model, where we enhance other guilds group and area effect abilities. So we make the Roar stronger, the spell longer or more accurate, the ability more focused and successful ie snipe etc.

Daython
Re: Lead comparison 04/24/2003 06:33 PM CDT
<<Would it be possible.. to make lead less of an ability... but a skill? with associated verbs etc. Make it a Paladin only Lore skill... and give us a set of abilities that teach leadership... and have tactical advantages in combat... not sure what they could be... BUT... you think that could work?>>

I don't foresee Lead being a skill. That's not to say it would NEVER happen. I remember as a player that the idea was talked about a lot.

~Maece
Re: Lead comparison 04/24/2003 09:39 PM CDT
>Anyone remember being able to announce that you were casting courage and having people run to join up? If it is an intended design logic for paladins to be leaders then we need an undisputed benefit in order to attract "followers". I don't see that happening to any large extent with our current spells and lead ability

I do not believe leading is only about stats and skills. I believe it is more about how you carry yourself as a leader. That said i have no problem getting folk to join me in battle. Its not only about bonuses and stuff its about knowing the guy leading you will have your back, Its knowing that your not following someone who gona get taken down first hit. There are many reasons, and not all of them are about stats and bonuses and skills etc.

Michael.
Re: Lead comparison 04/24/2003 10:20 PM CDT
Michael,

While I fully concur with this statement:

>>I believe it is more about how you carry yourself as a leader. That said i have no problem getting folk to join me in battle.

My problem is more along the lines of:

>>its about knowing the guy leading you will have your back, Its knowing that your not following someone who gona get taken down first hit.

Its the "will have your back" part. If our boosts no longer give the kind of boost that lets a 40th circle person fight alongside you and stay alive.. I go wading into battle, doing fine, then the creature turns to poor 40th circle ranger.. kills him in one shot.. and I'm there looking at his body going "Ohh.. gee, sorry about that." I'd rather not have to shout "Join me for battle!! Ohh.. but make sure you are near 60th circle and can stand toe-to-toe with these thing because I can't be sure I can keep you alive".

Can I stand there with the critters? Usually.. but even I have to know when to back up, get healed/helped/etc. Getting folks to join me against Cyclops archers means I feel responsible for keeping them alive and I really have no tools to help do that. I can keep myself alive.. but the rest that join me are kinda "on their own" for survival. Just my personal opinion, but I should have more tools to help keep my troops alive if I'm gonna ask em to join me in battle.

Redarch
Re: Lead comparison 04/24/2003 10:33 PM CDT
>Its the "will have your back" part. If our boosts no longer give the kind of boost that lets a 40th circle person fight alongside you and stay alive.. I go wading into battle, doing fine, then the creature turns to poor 40th circle ranger.. kills him in one shot.. and I'm there looking at his body going "Ohh.. gee, sorry about that." I'd rather not have to shout "Join me for battle!! Ohh.. but make sure you are near 60th circle and can stand toe-to-toe with these thing because I can't be sure I can keep you alive".

There is a certain amount of common sense as well, even with my lead you should not expect a 40th circle fella to keep up (i know these are just examples) lead does give significant bonuses, but it will never be as it was . Most things will never be as they were. everyone except barbs has been downtweaked not just the paladins, and barbs will get whats comming too and it will be thier turn to complain.

I was very disapointed with the new lead untill i trained up some charisma. Now i am not so disapointed i find that lead provides a significant boost, sure its not like it used to be, but its significant none the less. I would like to see it do more, as in different kind of bonuses sure. But the way it is seems fairly fair and seems to get stronger the bigger you get and the more charisma and stuff you get.

Michael.
Re: Lead comparison 04/24/2003 10:37 PM CDT
Paladins : Leaders of men.
Sure RP wise. Our current ability in that regard LEAD. Anyone figure out what it actually does? Its so diluted i cant tell if its up or down, no idea what was added to it after it was brought under global caps. The power hit needs to be reduced by 1/3rd in my opinion (currently our largest hit to our power pools). We all wanted solo abilites cause with Old lead we felt we had group stuff covered fairly well. Now were hurting pretty bad. Ironic huh.

Tyden

PS post durations your seeing plus any bonuses your noticing. Currently im seeing about 10 minutes but no idea whats going on in the time its up.
Re: Lead comparison 04/24/2003 11:30 PM CDT
I don't deny that leadership is often an intangible skill brought by the player. But that should not be the end all, story is over. The guild is described as a leadership guild. The guild leader speech mackes that pretty apparrant. Yet the tools to be able to lead are either surpassed or nonexistent. Essentially in the seven years of the game there has been no tactical change whatsoever to combat. Get better position, better balance, have enough skill to hit and you win. There is no flanking manuever, no defensive group posture etc etc. Essentially no playable feature to use for us other than type lead and yell orders, drag if we must, advance the right creature etc. It isn't that complicated.

So, telling us we are the leadership guild but not really having the tools to do so is analogous to telling the Barbs they are melee weapon masters then making weapon learning tert for them. Sure it can be overcome if you really work hard at it, but the system surely is not making it any easier, in fact the system is making it harder.

It is becoming harder to lead in combat on essentially two grounds. One is our own mortality in combat that leaves us exposed to magics etc that we do not have strong defenses for coupled with the proliferation of group and area effect abilities and magics of other guilds. The second is the social aspect of the game that finds more players playing in a individualized first person shooter concept of the game rather than understanding how to work as a team to achieve goals. The hardest and longest part of leading on a large scale during a war or invasion is just getting people to be quiet, listen and actually do what you suggest they do. It consumes an enormous amount of time and energy to really get folks to understand and committ the time to practice and learn.

Honestly, I don't see the socail dynamic changing much in the game. It will tend to degenerate more than recuperate unless changes are made in the game systems. Such as us gaining some wow factor leading capabilities that promote group play over singular play. Even when you examine hunting grounds I can easily say 95% are designed in such a way that individual play is more rewarding. Sure there are things like gen rates and such that are effected by having more individuals in an area, but not necessarily in the same group. If there is nothing markedly better to be gained by joining a Paladin in an invasion than you roaming the fields on your own then people will tend to roam.

I have demonstrated before to players what can be achieved with group cooperation in combat, but at this point it is more like an evangelism mission of convincing than a known feature of the game.

Daython
Re: Lead comparison 04/25/2003 05:25 AM CDT
<<Most things will never be as they were. everyone except barbs has been downtweaked not just the paladins, and barbs will get whats comming too and it will be thier turn to complain.
>>

NOT BEEN DOWNTWEAKED! Dragon was castrated, not down tweaked. Dance times were KILLED. NOT BEEN DOWNTWEAKED! Maybe that was a misprint and you ment barDs.

Weaponsmith Magdar Bluefletch of M'Riss.

You have deep-set stormy grey eyes and a broken nose. Your bright orange-streaked golden brown hair and beard are worn braided. You have copper skin and a brawny build. You are very tall for a Dwarf.
Re: Lead comparison 04/25/2003 09:29 AM CDT
Magdar,

>>NOT BEEN DOWNTWEAKED! Dragon was castrated, not down tweaked. Dance times were KILLED.

Believe me, we feel your pain <said with a rueful, downcast attempt at a sincere expression> Your reaction is almost EXACTLY what folks expressed here when LEAD was "brought within CAPS" rules. From our experience, I would say.. post exactly how long your abilities last.. how much of a boost you get or don't get.. and give the GMs time. In a bit.. they'll nudge yer abilities back up a notch so they are better than they are now and folks will stop yelling. Of course.. they'll be NO where near what they were but, after the initial "gutting" of an ability.. the slight uptick feels like an improvement. Such seems to be the standard method of operation for any change in the Realms.. totally GUT something.. let folks scream and shout and cry.. then slightly uptweak .. so there appears to be an improvement and folks stop screaming as loudly.

Now, I think Daython has exactly hit it on the head. So long as combat is geared as it is, fighting as individuals will be and continue as the "norm". With that, there is no incentive for people to work as a team in combat. And without teamwork, there are no "groups to lead" into combat. All you have is a collection of individuals doing what they want.

What's the solution? Well, I doubt there will be a major rewrite of the combat system to put in group combat skills or leader abilities to direct folks.. and really, while I see Daython's point, I'm not sure I'd want to be the one yelling "Rangers go that way, Mages do this, Clerics.. cast XYZ" in the heat of combat. Maybe if they made critters teach ALL members of a group better if the group hunted "above" the individual members skills.. within a certain range to keep from "twinking" the youngsters. That is what I liked about some of the other games out there.. if ya want to hunt solo, you can.. but you don't learn as much or as fast as you would in a group of like skill levels hunting things much harder than the individuals could face. At least then, you had folks ACTIVELY seeking to form groups to hunt.. which also generated friendships.. and also let ya know who the twits were that couldn't be counted on.. which got them ignored and shunned.

Could something like this be implemented? <shrug> Only the GMs know. But until there is an "advantage" to forming a group.. our "ability" to be combat leaders is ... moot.

Redarch
Re: Lead comparison 04/25/2003 10:22 AM CDT
<< and really, while I see Daython's point, I'm not sure I'd want to be the one yelling "Rangers go that way, Mages do this, Clerics.. cast XYZ" in the heat of combat. >>

Pokes .... I said that is what we have available to us NOW. Not what would be wished. A simple application of a group tactic in chaos was the suggestion I made where we can highlight a target to be hit. As in we glyph a critter then all folks would need do is AIM or TARGET <insert some new keyword here>. Hopefully the system can be made to allow for multiple glyphing of targets for invasion situations. Other good tactical suggestions have been made in the past, it is just getting them achieved. I look at it this way, if magical things can be coded to make everything fall down etc, then it can't be out of the realm of practical possibility to code something similiar for a mundane manuever.

Daython
Re: Lead comparison 04/25/2003 04:30 PM CDT
Daython,

*pokes ya back* I know you said that's what we have now.. and I was agreeing with you.. that is just pure chaos as it currently stands.

>>A simple application of a group tactic in chaos was the suggestion I made where we can highlight a target to be hit. As in we glyph a critter then all folks would need do is AIM or TARGET <insert some new keyword here>.

Interesting idea with some real possibilities. However, as it stands today, by the time you traced the glyph on 3rd.. no.. 4th.. no.. 6th critter (as the swarm rolls in).. and before you could call out.. Rangers on First target.. that target would be dead due to 8 other folks in the room, not in the group casting one-shot killer spells at it or popping outta hiding to shoot an arrow clean through its head. So it gets back to the original question.. where is there an advantage to being IN a group with a paladin as it stands today in chaos combat? Everything I see seems to indicate, there isn't one, and that's why you have so much individualism and chaos.

But, if we could implement your earlier suggestion of the BASF Paladin, who's presence makes those JOINED to him better.. better bow shooters.. better casters.. better at evading, etc.. a small amount, under the caps, but at least noticeable (just throwing out a number for discussion, but assume you get a 5% boost in all battle skills/weapon/evasion/shield/parry/tm/pm).. then maybe we'd have a start on getting folks to WANT to find a paladin to join in the heat of battle. For right now, they do as good if not better as a cluster of individuals.

Redarch
Re: Lead comparison 04/25/2003 05:53 PM CDT
Red,

Dragon and the other barbarian dances were done long before lead was touched. Before magic was changed! And what we have now is after all the adjustment.. I can live with it and a new barb would be amazed with the power of our dances.. But remembering back, over twice the strenght and stanima boost, huge reflex and agility boost, 3 times as long, larger boost to EVERYTHING.. <Magdar slapps himself> But as I said, you learn to live with it. And the young are very pleased.

Weaponsmith Magdar Bluefletch of M'Riss.

You have deep-set stormy grey eyes and a broken nose. Your bright orange-streaked golden brown hair and beard are worn braided. You have copper skin and a brawny build. You are very tall for a Dwarf.
Re: Lead comparison 04/26/2003 02:20 AM CDT
One of the biggest things that help with a paladian leading into battle is familiarity. The last two invasions i fought in, I fought solo because i could not find paladian that was willing to undertake leading a group. Usually it is not a problem but i was in the crossing <unfamiliar surroundings for my character>. That being said, most of us non Paladians will follow a paladian into battle that we would walk away from solo. Basically some of us feel like we need someone to lead when the times are at the darkest.

I do understand your disappointment with your abilities taking a serious hit and I do sympathize with you, I know it hurt you and hurts the rest of us that are used to following you into battle. To me it means we have to depend more on one another and less riding so hard on the shoulders of our leader anymore. It does not mean we don't need or want you leading though. You take Madigan leading the group, he will ask the folks there if they be interesting in help defend the town or route some invadin force. as they join up they all contribute their skills and abilities to the group. I can cast Major Physical protection and boost everyone in the group's evasion about 40 to 50 ranks or better. a barb can roar that blood lust roar, a bard can break out in a blood rousin chant. clerics and warrior mages can help take out ranged attackers/undead or throw the balance of tougher things. Barbs and the leader and the other paladians engage at melee while snipers and bowman take well places shots to keep the ones off there back and provide aid against ranged attackers. add in an empath and maybe a moonie or two and you basically have a war party that is ready for anything. I know the tactics is something you guy are very familiar with, but the point is NONE OF THIS WORKS without you leading and inspiring us with a bit of courage reguardless if you CAST courage or use LEAD. Without some to put it togeather and stand the line, all you have is a bunch of dead folks and maybe a couple of folks folks that made it to inviso fast enough to run.

I would love to see the number of folks in the group effect lead and maybe courage also. Not diluting courage like a large group normally does but the larger the group the paladian is leadin the stronger and longer the courage will last. With Lead maybe have it grouped sort of in numbers? basic lead like it is now, add 3 or 4 followers and increase it, the larger the numbers in the group the stronger the lead should be. If a Paladian is leading a large force in an invasion his courage should push the caps just by the number of folks he is leading. With Lead if your leading 25 folks into battle, let the ability reflect on the force your leading into battle. Push it with larger groups to where it is pushing the global caps. Also maybe a group glyph or spell or lead ability that boost the reflexes of the whole group when used by the leader to reflect the increased defensive ability that should be gained by following a true combat leader into battle?

Cadderrly,
PS sorry to be so longwinded
Re: Lead comparison 04/26/2003 06:48 AM CDT
<<Interesting idea with some real possibilities. However, as it stands today, by the time you traced the glyph on 3rd.. no.. 4th.. no.. 6th critter (as the swarm rolls in).. and before you could call out.. Rangers on First target.. that target would be dead due to 8 other folks in the room, not in the group casting one-shot killer spells at it or popping outta hiding to shoot an arrow clean through its head. So it gets back to the original question.. where is there an advantage to being IN a group with a paladin as it stands today in chaos combat? Everything I see seems to indicate, there isn't one, and that's why you have so much individualism and chaos.>>

While I agree with you guys that magic users and ranged weapon users have an edge in invasions for all the crowd that surrounds the critters keeping those guys safe...

I would like to say that last time I was on the Crossings and we had hafwa/skeletons invading, I remember clearly that in the beggining there were tons of folks in the swarmy room but then a couple minutes later I found myself standing with only Redarch and a Ranger fellow. Even though I couldn't take them by myself, I went to melee because I saw I could survive them trying to kill me while everyone else was trying to kill it. So maybe our role in the leading might have changed slightly in my view, now I figure that I can be the leader that will stand up to the critter (instead of having the critter face a leather wearing moon mage and kill him in one shot) while the premier attacking guilds can kill it. It's a good rp option in my mind, I stick to the defending side, I use the best of my skills (defenses) and I can still have people in my group following 'my lead'.

Just another perspective.

Phanton
Re: Lead comparison 04/26/2003 01:04 PM CDT
Phanton,

>>So maybe our role in the leading might have changed slightly in my view, now I figure that I can be the leader that will stand up to the critter (instead of having the critter face a leather wearing moon mage and kill him in one shot) while the premier attacking guilds can kill it. It's a good rp option in my mind, I stick to the defending side, I use the best of my skills (defenses) and I can still have people in my group following 'my lead'.

See, that USED to be our "part" in group combat. We'd be the ones to get to melee first.. stand there and keep the critter(s) occupied and surviving while the premier killers (mages/barbs/rangers/etc) took them out. Worked well.. until the change that let the critters stop facing the first person and change facing to someone else. And that's my biggest problem with current group combat. I gather a group.. charge into combat.. get to melee and survive fine.. but then the barbarians in the group hit melee also and the critter changes facing and smacks through their evasion and leather and kills them in one hit, switch to the next, a mage in chain, and pow.. soon I'm standing there, still alive while my group is laying dead around me. Maybe an "ability" to lock a critter's focus on US, so the critter does NOT change facing? Heck, if we could just get THAT.. I wouldn't miss LEAD or huge group courages for 4+ hours like we had during the Gorbesh war.

Redarch
Prev_page Previous 1