Re: Lost Holy Weapons 06/11/2008 11:37 AM CDT
"The last set of changes to the Holy Weapon gave us a way to CHANGE your current Holy Weapon to another one, but NOT a way to replace one that is lost, i.e. a way to "re-do" the Quest if you lose the Holy Weapon which is how I'm reading your question."

Yes you read the question correctly. I guess i am hoping that at some point they will release a way to "re-do" the quest or at least an optional way to replace a lost weapon. Either by doing some sort of repentance or additional quest. Anyway else have any thoughts on the matter?
Re: Lost Holy Weapons 06/11/2008 12:42 PM CDT
Redoing the quest for new weapon (not a swap out) is not currently being looked at. The swapping out aspect was a huge step forward as it is.

~Maece

"You thought it was me gnawing on the passengers? Nah, I'm a vegetarian."

Flight of the Living Dead, 2007
Holy Weapon Upgrades 07/30/2008 12:31 PM CDT
1. Smite compatibility -- increase damage of smite when using the HW. Maybe not have it drain the smite pool.
2. Lead compatibility -- make Paladins more effective at leading when waving their Holy Weapons about.
3. Curse of Zachriedek immunity
4. Light source -- it's holy and it shines.
5. Chance to stun with each hit -- divine retribution and all that.
6. Improved parry ability with the HW -- would love it to return damage if it successfully parries an undead attack. Make it able to parry Necromancy/Sorcery spells or act as a barrier against them.
7. Tie it into sixth sense -- pulses or brightens when danger is approaching (hidden or not). Shamless LOTR ripoff I know, but we won't limit it to orcs.

~Thilan
Re: Holy Weapon Upgrades 07/30/2008 12:35 PM CDT
I like ALL of those.
Holy Weapon choice 10/04/2008 06:05 PM CDT
Can crossbows/bows be chosen as holy weapons?

-Landros
Re: Holy Weapon choice 10/04/2008 06:43 PM CDT
> Can crossbows be chosen as holy weapons?

I choose you! Slurbow!

tosses a colorful ball at Veyne

Re: Holy Weapon choice 10/04/2008 08:31 PM CDT
With the upcoming changes to RW, why not.

I still haven't gone through the full HW quest so I'm eager to know

-Landros
Holy Weapon Refresher Course 11/15/2008 06:17 PM CST
So I might as well take the effort to get myself a holy weapon. Maybe! Kinda! If I find a really good Heavy Blunt and/or decide to go Heavy Blunt primary or something! So a few questions!

1) Initially when it first came out, I think it was implied that if you get it at a higher level versus when you first can, it would work "better". Is that true, or does it just grow with level/charisma/skill/use/something?

2) When it first came out, if you attacked a PC with it, it unholies itself. Is this still the case?

3) Once again, when first coming out, if you had it run out of charges it was dead forever. Now it takes two Glyphs of Renewal to come back but otherwise it's still good to go, right?

4) There's some quest I can do every 1 RL year to change what weapons I want to be holy, but if I lose the initial weapon I'm screwed.

5) There are portable recharge icon-things, but I think only GMNPCs give those out to specific players. There is a quest, but it's not around yet.

6) Stuff like knuckles capable of being turned into holy weapons? I know that they flash and give me the same able to hit undead pristine soul brawling bonus as if I was bareknuckled, but would still be a bit fun in my mind to have glowing brass knuckles of holy.

7) It's "safe" to use a forged weapon these days because we can register them, which saves their data (or something), in the event that we lose them do to a bug/error/wipe/meteor storm/etc, right?

8) More vapid, but can they be altered by a merchant post-holymaking?
Re: Holy Weapon Refresher Course 11/21/2008 02:40 PM CST
1. The idea of the "weapon growing with you" refers to your increasing soul pool as you circle and/or train certain stats that effect it.... The greater your maximum soul pool (total it can hold... not how bright it is currently) effects the benefits of the holy effect upon the weapon... this is my conclusion and is not backed up by any comments made by those who would be further in the know then us wielders of the weapons. (I feel its based on both how good you are... and how good you can be considered to be)

2. I have not swung nor struck out at another of the 11 races with my holy weapon... But the gods warn you against it... I heard rumor that it will lose all its charges the first swing and break the next... so dont confuse it with another simular weapon when and if you earn one... there are ways to tell the weapon is holy once you have one.

3. the weapon can be utilized beyond the holy charge within it... it simply wont have any of the benefit of holiness after you run the charges down... you can always recharge it provided you meet what is necisary to do so and still pocess the weapon.

4. I've read also about the quest to replace a holy weapon... but have experienced nothing IG that mentions this.

5. there are icons that have the ability to partially recharge a holy weapon away from a altar of Chadatru designed for weapon recharging... the paladin council has restricted all information pertaining to it's construction tho ... and has sole right of distrubing these to who they want to...

6. brawling weapons add damage to an attack or manipulate the attack to effect differant damage catagories... they are in and of themselves not a "weapon" and cannot be made holy...

7. you can use a forged weapon as a holy weapon... you are not guaranteed even if its registered that you will get a replacement if you lose it... personally I can only think of one way that it would be considered for replacement... and that's if you had some sort of charicter corruption.... otherwise its pretty much your fault if you lose it.... isn't it? crashes dont mean a replacement... but in the case of holy weapons... sometimes we are given a little extra consideration... tho it aint certain in any way. The concern surrounding forged weapons being holy was that if it was allowed to be replaced there would be no way to prove its stats... registering it seems would negate this concern. (personal note: Dont use your holy weapon in a vykathi reaper invasion... it's a real pain to track the correct reaper an kill it to get yer weapon back)

8. I think you'll find it very difficult to even get someone else to touch your holy weapon.... let alone a merchant or alterer to change it... you will need to alter the weapon before making it holy.... however there are exceptions that have occured... tho i wouldnt make any expectations...

feels good to be on the answering side instead of the asking questions side reffering to Holy weapons... It is deffinetly worth having.

Re: Holy Weapon Refresher Course 11/21/2008 03:02 PM CST
A couple more comments on the subject:

I would suggest considering making your "secondary" weapon the holy one... you're most likely already decent or at least hitting what you train your primary skills with your primary weapon... making the secondary holy will help your ability to make contact with your opponent.

I also suggest making a "swappable" weapon your holy weapon... for the obvious benefits, and one benefit that few utilize...

choose very wisely when making your final decision... the weapon's durability is deffinetly something to make note of...

Make sure the weapon isn't one of those types of weapons that "change" or "warp" its appearance... for instance the Icy blade in the LTB estate holder tent changes and becomes a differant weapon when you enact its ability to change shape.... it forgets it had blesses on it... and would probibly forget it had been holy too... tho there are protections put into place in the quest to help avoid this issue coming up... (you wont be allowed to make it holy) some can slip through the cracks and its a burdan on GMs to remedy the occurance.

and oh yeah... weapon straps and holy weapons dont mix all that well... sometimes the removing of the strap will "wipe" the holy off of yer weapon... and you'll hafta wait till a GM has time to fix it.

If you wanna see or ask me some more in depth stuff bout da divine holy weapon you can find me in the lands... I'm a tenant of Shard.

Phandanqwz

Re: Holy Weapon Refresher Course 11/23/2008 12:35 PM CST
With all these restrictions it almost sounds like it's better to just get a cleric blessing on your main weapon.
Re: Holy Weapon Refresher Course 11/23/2008 01:19 PM CST
Or make a glyph for us paladins to bless our own weapon. Or just keep brawling your main weapon with a high soul state and go it like that. Which is currently how I've been handling the undead invasions in Crossing. (Very awesome for us Paladins btw)

Though I'll reiterate about making a glyph to give us our own way of blessing weapons PLEASE!?

Vindicator Adakin of Prime
Kastr/Killr of TF

"The Key To Immortality Is Living A Life Worth Remembering."

"Killing Time Murders Opportunities."
Re: Holy Weapon Refresher Course 11/23/2008 02:39 PM CST
<<Or just keep brawling your main weapon with a high soul state and go it like that.

Ya mind explaining that to me? I heard reference to something like this before, but I'm apparently missing something. Paladins brawling get bless effect or something?
Re: Holy Weapon Refresher Course 11/23/2008 02:46 PM CST
As long as your soul is good, yeah.
Re: Holy Weapon Refresher Course 11/23/2008 06:20 PM CST
It's the same as with Clerics.

Keep your soul state high end pristine, and you do damage to non-corporeal undead while brawling.
Re: Holy Weapon Refresher Course 11/23/2008 08:58 PM CST
That is simply sweet! Thanks...
Re: Holy Weapon Refresher Course 11/25/2008 12:34 PM CST
There are some problems with swapable weapons but Maece can explain that. Well, it took me six weeks capped off by assisting every time i logged in to get other GM's to fix that problem and explain it to me so Im assuming she actually knows.

Your fancy weapon loses special verbs and etc if you make the weapon holy. It was explained to me that weapons can only hold 1 script and being holified means the weapon has the holy script. So if its a claymore that woooshes or etc I'd assume youd lose that part.

Holy weapon quest came out before brawling weapons so I'd assume they wouldnt work. Some brawling weapons increase damage but elbow spikes appraise just like other weapons. I suppose you could always try but Id hate for you to wait months before a GM gets around to fixing it.

Every so often you move up to a heavier weapon. With a Holy weapon your stuck with its weight. If the holy bonus growth exceeds the benefits of moving to a heavier weapon then you've got something that youd want to use. If the holy growth is less than the punch from the extra weight then you have a weapon destined for storage.

I've posted askin if anyone has completed or knows of someone who has completed the change weapon quest. So far nuthin. I wouldnt be depending on that quest.

Clerics bless weapons, totems bless weapons, and using the smite ability slaps a bless on. While holy weapons having a perma bless regardless of charge is nice its not that hard to get your hunting weapon blessed.

I think holy weapons are more fluff than weapon. Mine is a dust catcher in the vault. I'd go with something for rp value or you just like the look of. I dont think holy weapons were designed as a tribute to diminishing returns but it just worked out that way.

AKA Rumael
Re: Holy Weapon Refresher Course 11/26/2008 03:50 PM CST
>>Your fancy weapon loses special verbs and etc if you make the weapon holy. It was explained to me that weapons can only hold 1 script and being holified means the weapon has the holy script. So if its a claymore that woooshes or etc I'd assume youd lose that part.<<

So if I want to make a weapon that has cambrinth attacted to it my holy weapon would I loose the "cambrinth script" and it would be replaced by the "holy script" or would I be fine and the weapon could be holy with the cambrinth still intact?

~Silus
Smite first, ask questions later.
Re: Holy Weapon Refresher Course 11/27/2008 06:14 AM CST
<<So if I want to make a weapon that has cambrinth >>

Camb is supposed to works. I remember a post a while back about that. Never seen it used tho so best of luck.

AKA Rumael
Dusting off the Holy Weapon 03/27/2009 01:25 PM CDT
I vaulted my Holy Weapon long ago, and have been away for long enough that a few changes in recharging it, and using it in general, have been effected, so I've decided to re-learn about them from the ground up, but not finding the posts that would explain it all.

Would some be so kind as to direct me to, or list, the information I need?

Thanks in advance,

Humm Breaux
Prydaen Refugee Freedom Fighter
Holy Weapon Recommendation? 09/08/2009 02:35 PM CDT
I am eligible to undertake the Holy Weapon quest, but I am having trouble deciding which weapon to use. (I would prefer not to have to change it later.)

My primary weapon is twohanded edged. As an Elf, I am more likely to focus on Agility than Strength and Stamina.

Here are my current stats:

Strength : 28 Reflex : 31
Agility : 31 Charisma : 28
Discipline : 30 Wisdom : 27
Intelligence : 27 Stamina : 27

Weapons I currently own:

BASTARD SWORD
Weight: 36 stones
2HE: low/severe/fair reasonably/reasonably
HE: poor/great/low reasonably/fairly
Construction: moderately strong
Advantages: dual mode, lighter, better balanced
Disadvantage: This is my primary weapon, and my understanding is that you are penalized for using your Holy Weapon too often. If my Holy Weapon is useless as a daily hunting weapon, I won't want to use my bastard sword.

GREATSWORD
Weight: 50 stones
Stats: low/bone-crushing/fair poorly/reasonably
Construction: very strong
Advantages: better slice damage, can be wielded from pole range
Disadvantage: too heavy to use without Courage; poorly balanced

I know that I want it to be a twohanded edged weapon. The question is whether I should use one of these weapons, or should I be looking for a different weapon?
Re: Holy Weapon Recommendation? 09/08/2009 03:18 PM CDT
I'm not a paladin-prime. But if you're going into a situation that requires a holy weapon, you're probably going to cast Courage anyway. And meanwhile, your stats will grow as you do. If I were you, I would use the greatsword for the holy weapon.

Good luck!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Holy Weapon Recommendation? 09/08/2009 04:27 PM CDT
I would certainly get a weapon you will grow into since you seem to be getting your holy weapon right at the start of being able to. In 20 or 30 circles your stats will be much higher and you wont want some lightweight weapon when you can handle more. Though on the plus size, these days there is a quest to change your holy weapon, so you can always do that in the future. But I would at the moment be inclined to wait on getting a HW untill we see what combat fatigue changes do, we may be finding that even if we have stats for min RTs on our weapons we may go for lighter anyways.
Re: Holy Weapon Recommendation? 09/08/2009 04:31 PM CDT
Don't forget you can swap holy weapons once/rl year. So, go with what you can use now and then swap it out in a year if you have grown out of it.

Madigan

Free the Paladin Guild in 2009.
Re: Holy Weapon Recommendation? 09/08/2009 04:51 PM CDT
You're not penalized really if your holy weapon is your primary weapon. Your holy weapon gains an certain amount of charges based from what I understand off your circle and charisma. So say you have 300 strikes with your weapon before it needs to be recharged. If thats your main weapon, you might burn through them in a good day of hunting and have to recharge the weapon regularly. If you burn through all the strikes, you have to recharge your weapon once to make it capable of holding the charges and then again to actually charge the weapon (I believe the wait between charges is about 5 hours). If you swing it once before the second time you charge it, you need to start over again.

Another thing you might want to look for is to get a fest or merchant weapon instead of forged. If for some reason you're hunting, the game crashes and your weapon goes poof, the GMs will only replace forged weapons with store bought equivalences. If its from a fest or merchant, however, they'll have actual records of those stats and can replace that with less of a problem.

Normally I'd say get a weapon thats swappable or has two different uses (like a HE/HT), but since you're 2HE primary I'd say to hell with it, buy an 80 stone greatsword and grow into it. Edged weapons that you can swing from pole range are almost as good, and it won't be too much longer before you'd be able to swing an 80 stone one without a problem. And if for some reason you decide down the line that you picked the wrong weapon, once an actual year you can do a quest to swap weapons.
Re: Holy Weapon Recommendation? 09/08/2009 05:42 PM CDT
<<If you burn through all the strikes, you have to recharge your weapon once to make it capable of holding the charges and then again to actually charge the weapon (I believe the wait between charges is about 5 hours). If you swing it once before the second time you charge it, you need to start over again.

This seems overly punishing. (really, pally mechs overly punishing? who'da thunk?) The double charging requirement should be removed in my opinion.

<<Another thing you might want to look for is to get a fest or merchant weapon instead of forged. If for some reason you're hunting, the game crashes and your weapon goes poof, the GMs will only replace forged weapons with store bought equivalences. If its from a fest or merchant, however, they'll have actual records of those stats and can replace that with less of a problem.

With item registering this is no longer an issue. Just register it after making it a holy weapon. Unless something about the holy weapon mechanics keeps it from being able to be registered.

- George, Player of Foresee
Re: Holy Weapon Recommendation? 09/08/2009 05:47 PM CDT
The charging timer has been lowered to one hour in between charges.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Holy Weapon Recommendation? 09/08/2009 05:47 PM CDT
<<This seems overly punishing. (really, pally mechs overly punishing? who'da thunk?) The double charging requirement should be removed in my opinion.>>

Its better then it used to be, used to be if you ran it to empty, it was gone for good and you had no way to get a new one, THAT was overpunishing.

Really holy icons solve almost all usability issues with holy weapons, and the nice part is holy icons are already written and implemented, now if they would only get around to releasing them to the rest of the guild (only a select few got them). Last I knew we were just waiting on the quest to get written to obtain then, but with the old Paladin team gone who knows what is in store now (would love it if Dart commented about this, but previous posts have gone unanswered).
Re: Holy Weapon Recommendation? 09/08/2009 05:50 PM CDT
I just don't like an ability that makes you worry about how you're using it even when you're doing everything right. No one wants to count charges. Sure the mechanic might be less punitive than before, but I still think it's conceptually flawed.
Re: Holy Weapon Recommendation? 09/08/2009 08:46 PM CDT
I recently did my holy weapon quest, I did a bastard sword a bit heavier than I ideally can handle at the moment, in the belief I will grow into it within a few circles. I like the option of going HE or 2HE.

DRPrime - Celeres Turrance
Re: Holy Weapon Recommendation? 09/08/2009 09:42 PM CDT
<<I just don't like an ability that makes you worry about how you're using it even when you're doing everything right. No one wants to count charges. Sure the mechanic might be less punitive than before, but I still think it's conceptually flawed.

FWIW, I have not gone on the holy weapon quest for this reason.

Madigan

Free the Paladin Guild in 2009.
Re: Holy Weapon Recommendation? 09/08/2009 09:48 PM CDT
I also skipped getting a holy weapon.

Khohan
Re: Holy Weapon Recommendation? 09/08/2009 09:55 PM CDT
Not done it either. Was all super excited about it till i hit 50th and it was like.. whats the point; recharging it every couple of hours of combat.. no thanks

~Maryhana
Re: Holy Weapon Recommendation? 09/08/2009 10:15 PM CDT
Same here, I didn't get a holy weapon either.

Felicini
Re: Holy Weapon Recommendation? 09/08/2009 10:20 PM CDT
I'm partial to getting my curved Aldauth scythe-blade turned into my holy weapon once I decide to take a super way long break from hunting to do the quest.

Too bad I don't train ME. :/

- Sir Korsik Rippentropp, Most Noble Paladine

Crusader against the Innocent
Defender of All That is Wrong
Re: Holy Weapon Recommendation? 09/08/2009 11:21 PM CDT
I get over 500 swings a charge now. And I'm not that charismatic.
Re: Holy Weapon Recommendation? 09/09/2009 02:08 AM CDT
If I had an icon it'd be different. I'd pay 500-1000 plat for one. Hook it up Dart

~Maryhana
Re: Holy Weapon Recommendation? 09/09/2009 11:29 AM CDT
I would not let the recharge troubles keep you from getting a holy weapon, just do not make it a daily use weapon. I use mine for invasions of undead and cursed critters and whatnot to save on the charges. I have an icon and it is a shame the quest has not been finished for it because it is handy in a protracted fight. It is not the best recharging tool though. Need to go to the altars to top it off. I have found that if it is full, it will last for some time and is much better than having to roatate several blessed weapons or bothering a busy cleric for a bless all the time.

In short, I have one, use it and like it.
Re: Holy Weapon Recommendation? 09/09/2009 01:08 PM CDT
<< I have an icon and it is a shame the quest has not been finished for it because it is handy in a protracted fight. It is not the best recharging tool though. Need to go to the altars to top it off. >>

What do you mean by having to go to the altars to top it off? Are you just refering to getting the weapon to full charge? I know the icons dont give as full of a charge as the icons. Or do you mean the icon itsself needs a charge? If the icon needs charging, then thats pretty lame. If its just getting a weapon full charge, so long as you can top it off again with the icon, who cares?
Re: Holy Weapon Recommendation? 09/09/2009 09:42 PM CDT
Still vote that charges should be eliminated. Its not cutting in to the clerics' blessed mojo since its for personal use, for only one weapon.

Im in theren, the main stay of plenty of paladins. No recharge station unless I want to burn 1.5+ hours going to crossing and back. Its just not appealing at all. Even if there were a station in Theren it seems like a pain. Gogo no charges.

~Maryhana