Prev_page Previous 1
New Paladin 07/31/2008 02:47 PM CDT
Hi, I'm new to the Paladin Guild and have a few questions.

-Should I start training multiple armors immediately or wait for the penalty to drop?
-My character has some stealing ranks from being a commoner. Is it true that Paladins cannot advance with ranks in stealing, and if so how do I get rid of them?
-What spells should I pick up first and which are best for training magic?
-Which survivals count toward requirements?

Any other training advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Re: New Paladin 07/31/2008 03:21 PM CDT
<<What spells should I pick up first and which are best for training magic?>>
Courage, RW, Halt in that order. Cannot reccommend past that since I am not. :)

<<Which survivals count toward requirements?>>
Might be easier to state what does not count. Stealing is all I can think of.

Ackfer - Halfling in a Can, No Fillers Here!
Re: New Paladin 07/31/2008 03:22 PM CDT
By the way, Welcome to the Guild!

Re: New Paladin 07/31/2008 04:21 PM CDT
Yes, Welcome to the guild!

Magic training will be easier now than it was early in the history of the guild: You'll be able to use Ease Burden (Ease) and Energy Bolt (EB).

Courage is pretty much a paladin's staple. I'll let the guild elders offer recommendations on the other spells!

For armor training- You might want to get a few ranks under your belt before you add extra armor types. But there is one exception to this: Pack a shield.

Good luck!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: New Paladin 07/31/2008 05:23 PM CDT
Welcome.

I would say start training all armors right away. You can either have two sets that you swap out of or go all at once. The two sets can be useful because you'll cap a creature out defensively before you will offensively. Since your hindrance will be so high you won't do much evading, so a shield/parry stance will help you survive, but you'll train the hindrance down soon enough. In the meantime either train evasion by taking off your hand/leg/arm armor (or if you're doing two sets train it in your lighter set) or wait until you've worked the hindrance off and backtrain it. Alternatively you can stance attack down to 0% and use the extra stance points for evasion while you're dancing and learning other defenses.

You can't advance or speak to a guildleader with stealing ranks. I'm not even sure if you can get in the guild. If you're still first circle I would go join another guild and then join the Paladins which will wipe them away (although it will wipe the rest of your skills too). Otherwise as soon as you join you will need to go to Chadatru's chapel in Theren Keep and REPENT. Do not enter a single command until you get the message about having repented.

I recommend going this route spellwise: Courage, AS, RW, Halt, DA, SR, HoW. After that it's up to you. Train TM from the start via EB. Ease is also good for general magic training. Get yourself a cambrinth ring (or a sandalwood fan if you're a premie) and use it for MD training. Courage and DA are both good guild-specific training spells.

Pretty sure any survival but stealing will count. I recommend keeping evasion and perception as your top 2.

As a tangent:

>>Courage, RW, Halt in that order. Cannot reccommend past that since I am not. :)

You're not even 17th circle and you're hunting marauders? No wonder you're having trouble hitting them. Overhunting as a MM is easy, but it's a lot tougher as a Paladin. Milk those blood wolves and thunder rams for all they're worth.

~Thilan
Re: New Paladin 07/31/2008 06:56 PM CDT
<<You're not even 17th circle and you're hunting marauders? No wonder you're having trouble hitting them.>>
Well, actually I am 18th. I just did not list Bond Weapon since it isn't applicable to everyone. :)

I use thunder rams to milk my TM at the moment. I might start training my weapons on Blood Wolves.

Re: New Paladin 07/31/2008 07:51 PM CDT
<<Pretty sure any survival but stealing will count. I recommend keeping evasion and perception as your top 2.>>

hiding and stalking don't count for paladin survival. still good to know though.

you can join the paladin guild, don't join another, that'll just wipe out the rest of the stuff you've trained. you'll just have to go up to theren keep AFTER you join and repent in the chapel, you can't wipe out stealing ranks there until you're actually a paladin <repent command doesn't work for anyone but paladins>.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: New Paladin 08/01/2008 11:14 AM CDT
This isn't to any of your questions, but train 2HE and LX or HX. You'll thank me later.

-Landros
Re: New Paladin 08/01/2008 11:30 AM CDT
>>This isn't to any of your questions, but train 2HE and LX or HX. You'll thank me later.

Definitely! One of the crosses for keeping things at a distance, and two-handed weapons in general have become extremely viable with the advent of arm-worn shields.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

Re: New Paladin 08/03/2008 07:13 AM CDT
Train everything :)

But really here's what I would do if I were to start a paladin again . . .

Shield should ALWAYS be your best skill.

I'd train 2HE, 2HB, halberd, HX, LT, TM and brawling for my weapons. Lock and switch.

Once all are locked, I'd train stealth. ADV then HIDE for no soul hit. Training will be slow and suck because of armor but it'll pay off in the end.

Hunt swarming critters for all those weapons and more multi. Juggle when no critters are engaged.

Top six survivals should be evasion, perception, hiding, stalking, climbing and swimming.

Top Lores should be appraisal (app critters), scholarship (compendium) and whatever else you want. Those two can be done in combat.

Never stop training magics.

Wear multi armors asap, you'll be fine. I currently only effectively train 3 (HC, LP and HP) but I'll be working more soon.

Neglect charisma til about 20-30th circle. you really won't need it til then anyway.

always keep evasion at 100%. Switch from parry 80 to shield 80 for training each skill. I tend to used shield for ranged and blunts and parry for edges.

Hope this helps. Don't know if i left anything out but that should get you going.
Re: New Paladin 08/04/2008 11:13 PM CDT
Thanks for all the advice. Is it possible to train all armor types in one setup?
Re: New Paladin 08/04/2008 11:34 PM CDT
i don't think so - head/neck/eyes/torso/arms/legs = 6 areas to cover. and while i've seen armor that only covers the waist <tasset>= <abdomen>, i've never seen any that ONLY covers the chest.
cloth,leather,bone,LC,HC,LP,HP = 7 types.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: New Paladin 08/04/2008 11:34 PM CDT
>Is it possible to train all armor types in one setup?

Yes, but not particularly well or evenly. I trained all 7 on my Paladin though, and I was fine through bloodvines at least. It actually gets easier by then because the penalty is very small by then.
Re: New Paladin 08/04/2008 11:36 PM CDT
where did you find something that only covered the chest?

Re: New Paladin 08/04/2008 11:37 PM CDT
The gnome wagon has a couple cloaks and/or robes that are chest/back only IIRC. Not particularily the best place to be wearing cloth, however. And you have to be a gnome...

-Evran
Re: New Paladin 08/04/2008 11:38 PM CDT
Oh and you forgot hands in your list gonif. Sorry for the double post.

-Evran
Re: New Paladin 08/05/2008 12:20 AM CDT
>Oh and you forgot hands in your list gonif.

Yep. I wore the 7 armor setup for over 100 ranks in armors, so I know it is possible.

Body has to be LP or LC as far as I know. Eyes have to be leather. Some variations on the rest are possible with forged gear. I think you can do all storebought except the leather mask, but I used forged gear. Check out the armor shop in riverhaven, it sells non-neutral gear, as well as the hoy in stone clan for head only gear.
Re: New Paladin 08/05/2008 08:11 AM CDT
"breastplate" is usually chest/back.

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: New Paladin 08/05/2008 09:23 AM CDT
<<*"breastplate" is usually chest/back.>>

check again. go into tembegs and either buy or steal a leather breastplate, then appraise it.

chest, back, ABDOMEN.

Re: New Paladin 08/05/2008 10:21 AM CDT
Lorica is the LC version, also chest, abdomen, back.
Re: New Paladin 08/05/2008 10:47 AM CDT
>>check again. go into tembegs and either buy or steal a leather breastplate, then appraise it.

It's moot b/c you didn't include hands in your original list. So your options are:

Head (Leather/LC/HC/LP)
Eyes (Tanned leather mask)
Neck (Leather/LP/HC, LC/HP forged)
Torso (Leather/Bone/LC/LP)
Hands (Cloth/Leather/Bone/LC/HC/LP/HP)
Arms (Cloth/Leather/Bone/LC/HC/LP/HP)
Legs (Cloth/Leather/Bone/LC/HC/LP/HP)

Cloth and bone are for sale in the Paladin shop on Ratha. Full listing here: http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Paladin%27s_Guild%2C_Emporium

~Thilan
Re: New Paladin 08/05/2008 10:52 AM CDT
You can use Hanryu/SAUVA's Equipment Compendium. I love browsing through all the items, you could probably use that to piece together most of your suit and if you reach a dead end looking for specific pieces ask away. :)

I am however lazy, I stick with LP/HP and alternate different armor on my legs. I wanted to train hiding up north, but there is nothing I can even hide on without any armor on.

New Paladin 04/22/2009 02:30 PM CDT
Heyo! Rolling up a new paladin and am curious on just general thoughts from the current guild members. I understand our spells appear to be on hold at the moment, but I know there are some armor changes coming that will benefit us greatly.

Anything a new paladin just needs to know?

Thanks in advance!

Re: New Paladin 04/22/2009 02:36 PM CDT
Train armor
Train shield with your new armor
Train perception
Train shield
Don't learn stealing and don't attack from hiding
Train shield
While magic development is on hold right now, it's still very worth training.
Did I say Train Shield? ;)

Welcome to the Paladin's Guild!

Re: New Paladin 04/22/2009 02:57 PM CDT
You forgot to remind him to train shield.

"When I grow up, I want to be a soulless monster trapped in a suit of enchanted armor and compelled into violent service for a commercial institution through torturous psychic conditioning." -- Armifer
Re: New Paladin 04/22/2009 04:54 PM CDT
Train a ranged weapon too

-Landros
Re: New Paladin 04/22/2009 05:43 PM CDT
Train evasion as if your life depends on it. Because it does in all combat situations more then any other defensive skill. Oh now that you can learn hiding from hunt use it....to learn hiding.

Crusader Taghz

DFA = DISC + AGIL + TM > Evasion + Reflex

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: New Paladin 04/22/2009 07:29 PM CDT
Thought it was stalking via hunt. Can you learn hiding also?

-Mr. Glemm
Re: New Paladin 04/22/2009 07:33 PM CDT
>Thought it was stalking via hunt. Can you learn hiding also?

If you're hidden when you hunt, you learn hiding as well.
Re: New Paladin 04/22/2009 10:56 PM CDT
<<Train evasion as if your life depends on it. Because it does in all combat situations more then any other defensive skill. Oh now that you can learn hiding from hunt use it....to learn hiding.

Can't say that enough.

Madigan

Free the Paladin Guild in 2009.
Re: New Paladin 04/25/2009 08:24 PM CDT
<<If you're hidden when you hunt, you learn hiding as well.>>

Can someone give me a hint with this? I can't get hiding to move using this method.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: New Paladin 04/25/2009 08:33 PM CDT
1. hide
2. hunt
3. hunt 1
4. sk hiding
Re: New Paladin 04/25/2009 08:36 PM CDT
What JMF said. I'm under the impression that critters are now supposed to teach stealth about the same way they do weapons. I.E., a critter that teaches 100 ranks of a weapon will also teach about 100 ranks of hiding. If I'm wrong, someone will correct me- But that seems to be how it works for my various chars at least.

Re: New Paladin 04/25/2009 08:50 PM CDT
<<Can someone give me a hint with this? I can't get hiding to move using this method.

You have to have a least one rank of hiding.

~The player of Khorgar, Dwarven Barbarian~

IM: KhorgarDR

Best Barbarian site ever: http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html
Re: New Paladin 04/25/2009 10:30 PM CDT
Not working for me either. Log:

> hide

You melt into the background, convinced that your attempt to hide went unobserved.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
HR> skill hiding

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning
Hiding: 72 28.77% clear
HR> hunt

You take note of all the tracks in the area, so that you can hunt anything nearby down.
To the west:
1) Lionjester
2) a leathery grey ghoul
To the west, west:
3) a preserved zombified Prydaen
4) a leathery grey ghoul
5) a leathery grey ghoul
6) a leathery grey ghoul
7) a leathery grey ghoul
To the west, west, west:
8) Barola
9) a preserved zombified Prydaen
Roundtime: 8 sec.
HR> hunt 3

You stealthily move to hunt down your prey.

[El'Bain's Stop, Store]
Though positioned on the edge of the forest, El'Bain's Stop could easily be in the depth of the wilds. Surrounded by trees and home to many small critters, the wayside is an excellent place to rest and stock up on supplies. You also see a preserved zombified Prydaen, a leathery grey ghoul, a leathery grey ghoul, a small path and a store.
Obvious paths: east, west.
The zombified Prydaen discovers you, ruining your hiding place!
Roundtime: 5 sec.
R>
> skill hiding

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning
Hiding: 72 28.77% clear

May be the fact I was spotted as soon as I entered the room. Not sure.

Madigan

Re: New Paladin 04/25/2009 11:05 PM CDT
>>The zombified Prydaen discovers you, ruining your hiding place!

It just puts you in hiding when you arrive and doesn't message the hunt. You have to succeed to learn hiding.
Re: New Paladin 04/25/2009 11:06 PM CDT
I find hide and stalk are easiest to train with thrown weapons.

throw
get (weapon)
hide
stalk
toss
toss

The toss knocks you out of hide but other people in the room wont see it. With throw you dont have to worry about advancing then hiding and risking a soul hit.

Ideally you have someone else in the room keepin the critters attention while you hit them from missile range. Extra distance makes it easier for you to hide. and they can teach while your working your stealths. Swap out later and you work you defences and multi op better while they work their stealths.

AKA Rumael
Re: New Paladin 04/25/2009 11:33 PM CDT
<<You have to succeed to learn hiding.

Figured as much. Thanks for the confirmation.

Madigan

Re: New Paladin 04/25/2009 11:35 PM CDT
<<AKA Rumael

Yup, that is what I do if I find myself in a place to backtrain hiding. Good advice for anyone looking to train that skill as a paladin, thanks for posting.

Madigan

New Paladin Q's 01/15/2010 11:22 AM CST
Started a Paladin character and have a few questions. I'm decidedly not well-versed in the guild!

1. Soulstones. Are tortured souls still the only source of these, outside of a shop? If not, what shops sell soulstone items?

2. Spells. Are there any must-have spells that I should work towards off the bat? I chose Courage and AS for my first two, not clear what I'm going to do next. I plan on using TM heavily.

3. Any other tips re: caring for and raising my Paladin?

Thanks!
GENT
Prev_page Previous 1