Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Title bug 06/20/2005 09:06 AM CDT
>the ridiculous idea that knowing hiding somehow gives the theif enough knowledge to fake armor abilities

Titles != abilities. Just thought I would point that out. Please continue.

-Vision et al

The shadowling exclaims, "Go me!"
Re: Title bug 06/20/2005 10:09 AM CDT
<<Titles != abilities. Just thought I would point that out. Please continue.>>

My appologies let me replace 'abilities' with skill, since you obviously need it spelled out for you.

IG when you earn a title, you oftentimes earn it based on knowledge in the form of skills. The fact that thieves can substitute one form of knowledge for another is a big stretch. It the same as me saying that a title is only about the number of ranks, rather than what the ranks are in. The logic just does not follow.

--Just a "clueless" Squire

Now I lay me down to sleep;
I pray Solomon my soul to keep.
If I should walk before I wake;
I pray that Simutronics a restore will make.
Re: Title bug 06/20/2005 11:01 AM CDT
>>It the same as me saying that a title is only about the number of ranks, rather than what the ranks are in. The logic just does not follow.

Here, I'll feed your fire a little more. The ranks don't even matter. :) Sometimes we need more or less in the same skill, or in a different skill. A title that requires 200 trading, we may need 300 hiding. A skill that requires 400 weapon, we may need 350 stealing, and a skill that requires 300 First aid, we may need 150 First Aid.

We're simply on different requirement scale. That's why their fake titles, Titles we didn't earn. Because if you get right down to it, the most important requirement we don't qualify is *being part of the guild*.
-Wighten
Re: Title bug 06/20/2005 12:07 PM CDT
The title should reflect that person's standing with their guild. The defination states the title repersents a differ in opinion. Not with other guilds, but your own. So for those who wish to wear this title should in fact be only to wear it when their opinion differs from those of their guild. For Paladins, it's tanking their soul (with other requirments I'm sure). For other guilds, the person would need to take steps that are not agreed with by their guild, in return not being noticed by that said guild, as it does for the Paladin.

There should be a reason to wear the title then besides it looks cool or because they can "fake" it. This title shows others and you guild leaders that you do not agree with the rules of the guild and in fact against them.

The skill bases title are great, give this title the same requirement. Be in bad standing with your guild and you can wear it.

Player of Salvalis Nyrobi
Re: Title bug 06/20/2005 01:05 PM CDT
>>The title should reflect that person's standing with their guild

This is an opinion. After this, the central point of your post, you don't give a single assertion as to why it should be true. The definition of a heretic isn't: Someone who does something that their guild leader doesn't like. In this case, it's heresy against the principles of the Paladin guild.

>>For other guilds, the person would need to take steps that are not agreed with by their guild

It's a Paladin title. No other guilds can wear it. Thieves that wear it, are in fact pretending to be Paladins. And they ARE in disfavor with the Paladin principles.

The skill bases title are great, give this title the same requirement

>>The skill bases title are great, give this title the same requirement

Skill-based title system, yes. But this title isn't exactly a skill-based title is it? There is no skill you have to train to wear the title. In addition, it's a Paladin title, so another requirement is being a Paladin.

I thought I was done, but I just love arguing too much I guess. Thief fake-titles aren't meant to be FAIR. It's not something where a Thief has to put the exact same amount of work towards a title, as a person of their guild would put forth. If that's what you're lobbying for, fine. But that's not the way the current system is set up. So... if you'd like to complain to our GM's and have them rewrite the system, more power to you, I'll probably be next in line. But until then, you can't go nitpicking after every little "cool" title that doesn't hold itself to your standards of how the Thief system should work.
-Wighten
Re: Title bug 06/20/2005 02:37 PM CDT
<<In this case, it's heresy against the principles of the Paladin guild.>>

One would need to understand and have followed the path of the Paladin Guild before they can be against the principles. When was the Thief Guild ever in agrement of the principles of the Paladin Guild? So for a thief to wear the title, they are saying they were once in agreement of the Paladin principle? How is that IC for a thief?

<<Skill-based title system, yes. But this title isn't exactly a skill-based title is it? There is no skill you have to train to wear the title. In addition, it's a Paladin title, so another requirement is being a Paladin.>>

Being able for a Thief or a Paladin obtain this title at their 1st circle would be wrong. I'm sure there are more requirements then just being against principles you once believed in.

Re: Title bug 06/20/2005 02:53 PM CDT
The Thief IS NOT a Heretic. The Thief is PRETENDING to be a Heretic. This would be the easiest form of a Paladin to pretend to be. How is it NOT IC for a Thief to try to pretend to be a fallen paladin?
-Wighten
Re: Title bug 06/20/2005 03:08 PM CDT

<<So for a thief to wear the title, they are saying they were once in agreement of the Paladin principle>>

if you roleplay it like that, sure its possible.

just like it was possible for thief guildleader Crow to have once been a Paladin.

a person can become a paladin at 1st circle, have a "fall from grace", and become a thief, earn promotions in the thief guild, and eventually it would come to their former guildleaders attention that they are a heretic.

---
A scavenger troll arrives, scouring the area.

The scavenger troll exclaims, "I dinks I like da' Moongate!"

The scavenger troll bends over and picks up the Moongate. After appraising it, the troll places the Moongate in its frayed knapsack
Re: Title bug 06/20/2005 03:28 PM CDT
Because the of believes and the meaning behind the title itself. I'm looking at the word with the full meaning and what it represents, past and present. For a Paladin to wear the title, shows a sacrifice they decided to take and are paying for it. For this reason it should be a Paladin only title.

You are looking at it as a fallen Paladin (which it is), I can pretend to be that. Which would have shallow meaning for a Thief that chooses to wear it and the only reason a Thief would wear the title is to say, "Hey, I'm evil".

Re: Title bug 06/20/2005 03:36 PM CDT
<<a person can become a paladin at 1st circle, have a "fall from grace", and become a thief, earn promotions in the thief guild, and eventually it would come to their former guildleaders attention that they are a heretic.>>

A 1st circle Paladin would have little understanding of what it meant to be a Paladin. Like I mentioned before, I doubt the title is avaliable to 1st circle, Paladin or Thief.

Re: Title bug 06/20/2005 03:45 PM CDT
>>For a Paladin to wear the title, shows a sacrifice they decided to take and are paying for it.

You're not understanding the word FAKE. For a Thief to wear the title, it shows that they're pretended to make a sacrifice that they are paying for. The Thief titles aren't earned in the same way as the Paladins have to earn their titles. By your reasoning a Thief should have no more right to Knight Templar, than to Heretic. Because Knight Templar shows that they Paladin has earned a lot skill, and progressed far in the Paladin guild, has animal lore, and a horse. A thief that wears the title is pretending to have done all that.

-Wighten
Re: Title bug 06/20/2005 03:53 PM CDT
I would concede that a thief pretending to be a Knight Templar, among whateever other skills would be required, should have a horse.

Wilbur!

-mr ed-

---

The scavenger troll bends over and picks up the Moongate. After appraising it, the troll places the Moongate in its frayed knapsack
Re: Title bug 06/20/2005 03:55 PM CDT
And they DO have to.
-Wighten
Re: Title bug 06/20/2005 03:56 PM CDT
by the way, this is verified, when i checked titles against adon <who has a horse> and Schvartz <who no longer has a horse>, there are indeed paladin titles that adon can wear and schvartz couldn't because of this.

and yes, i've looked to see what all of the other guilds titles i could wear. except necros. Didn't try that one early enough, before the gms squashed it. :-(

---

Re: Title bug 06/20/2005 04:10 PM CDT
You fail to see the point I'm making, but instead use the defense of FAKE, the meaning of. Thieves are able to obtain any and all title from all the guilds? If not, why not? There are boundries for some titles and there should be one made for this title. A title for a Fallen Paladin shouldn't just be handed out to the Thieves Guild just cause. It represents the down fall of a Paladin, one who was touched and graced by the gods themselves.

Re: Title bug 06/20/2005 04:31 PM CDT
Ok... I understand what you're saying. What I'm saying is that the Heretic title is no different from any other title. You have sufficiently explained to me WHY it's different. You've defined the title several times, and you've shown what kinds of people would wear the title.

I would yield on the Heretic title, if it was removed from the Paladin title list, and put under miscellaneous. Allow Clerics with low devotion, and Paladins with black souls to wear the title. And poof, I'll agree with you. But as long as it remains under the Paladin title list, it merely represents another way to roleplay a Paladin. Any Paladin that wants it, can tank their soul, and have it. And thus, any Thief that is pretending to be a Paladin should have access.
-Wighten
Re: Title bug 06/20/2005 04:38 PM CDT
>Any Paladin that wants it, can tank their soul, and have it. And thus, any Thief that is pretending to be a Paladin should have access.

You made the argument for us.

If you agree that faking a knight templar should and does require a horse ... why doesn't it apply that if you are going to fake a heretic you should meet a requirement?

No soul != tanked soul. Since no other guild can manipulate thier soulstate, they don't get the title.

Heretic should just be expanded to all guilds who can 'tank' their status in thier guild, and then they have access to the title.
Re: Title bug 06/20/2005 04:47 PM CDT
>>If you agree that faking a knight templar should and does require a horse ... why doesn't it apply that if you are going to fake a heretic you should meet a requirement?

If you think that faking a knight that rides on a horse is the same thing as faking a knight with a bad soul are the same thing, you need help. One requires an actual physical animal present. It's hard to say I'm a jouster, and not have a horse present. But... I wasn't even the person who admitted that a Knight Templar should have a horse, I merely confirmed that that's the way it's set up. I would be perfectly content having to make up an excuse like, Oh.. my horse is back in the stalls.

Soul on the other hand is a purely internal concept. Much like mana. Yes, there are outward way to prove that you have a good soul, but it's not there when you arrive in the room. Wighten just arrived with a black soul.

Come on... apples and oranges.

Secondly, Thieves do need a horse to become a Knight Templar, but don't need the same skills a paladin needs. So we don't "fit" the reqs as you see it. The requirements are different. And thus, are different for Heretic.

>>Heretic should just be expanded to all guilds who can 'tank' their status in thier guild, and then they have access to the title.

Fine, if that came around, I'd agree with you. One of those weird posts where I don't agree with any assertion, but somehow agree with the conclusion.

-Wighten
Re: Title bug 06/20/2005 04:52 PM CDT
For reference.

Knight Templar
Must have pretend guild Paladin
At least 240 in Highest Weapon
At least 168 in Highest Armor
At least 32 in charisma
Must own a horse

Somehow I don't think those are the reqs for a Paladin to have Knight Templar.
-Wighten
Re: Title bug 06/20/2005 04:53 PM CDT
Does anyone know and can post the complete list of the paladin guild titles available to us??? Or at least reveal all the ones known? thx
Re: Title bug 06/20/2005 04:55 PM CDT
>Come on... apples and oranges.

The crux of the matter is that some don't beleive it is apples and oranges.

>Secondly, Thieves do need a horse to become a Knight Templar, but don't need the same skills a paladin needs. So we don't "fit" the reqs as you see it. The requirements are different. And thus, are different for Heretic.

The difference, in my mind, is that theives require a horse, meeting a requirement for knight templar, regardless of weapon, armor, AL, etc... The most important (standard; assumed) requirement for heretic is a tanked soul. The title disapears when the soul is untanked. For a thief, it would always be available, after meeting the other reqs, which aren't really important, just like the knight templar.

>One of those weird posts where I don't agree with any assertion, but somehow agree with the conclusion.

Following the logic, and extending the reqs for the title, was simply an easy way to end this debate, with all sides fat, dumb, and happy.

2 out of 3 ain't bad in some cases. LOL.
Re: Title bug 06/20/2005 05:19 PM CDT
Let me get back on this discussion tomorrow. But here's a question, why would a Thief want to wear Heretic as a title? If they want to represent "evil", they can put on their Thief title, or others that present this.

Re: Title bug 06/20/2005 08:07 PM CDT
>You're not understanding the word FAKE. For a Thief to wear the title, it shows that they're pretended to make a sacrifice that they are paying for.

Pretending to make a sacrifice and actually making a sacrifice is two different things. How can you pretend to sacrifice your soul when you have no way to even control your soulstate? It would be the same as going to France and pretending to speak french. You would get busted as soon as you opened your mouth. To me the Heretic title is in the same vein of titles as the Savage Lord title where you actually have to do something other than train some skills for it. But of course you think you can fake everthing.

>Knight Templar
>Must have pretend guild Paladin
>At least 240 in Highest Weapon
>At least 168 in Highest Armor
>At least 32 in charisma
>Must own a horse

Personally, I also feel the armor requirement should be for plate or at least chain so it isnt so obvious that its a thief pretending to be a Paladin. Thieves have it way too easy.

Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a Sword.

Oscar Wilde
Re: Title bug 06/20/2005 08:37 PM CDT
wow. all i lack is 2 in charisma and a horse. heh.

schvartz

as far as making it HP, i trained that up awhile back, though i don't have quite 168 in it <i have plenty more than that in my main armor and in my secondary armor>

back when i used paladin titles i used to joust as well. it was part of the whole thing.

And Heretic would and could be used, not as a means of saying, "hey, i'm evil", but, as a reasonable explanation as why - hey, schvartz, can ya cast a courage? - "nope, i can't cast spells cause Darius and me had a religious disagreement. I worship Damaris, he insisted I follow chadatru....

tank thief schvartz

---

Re: Title bug 06/21/2005 10:25 AM CDT
<<And Heretic would and could be used, not as a means of saying, "hey, i'm evil", but, as a reasonable explanation as why - hey, schvartz, can ya cast a courage? - "nope, i can't cast spells cause Darius and me had a religious disagreement. I worship Damaris, he insisted I follow chadatru....>>

Darius or any other Guild Leader does not prevent you from using spells, the god themselves do.

Re: Title bug 06/21/2005 10:30 AM CDT
<<Allow Clerics with low devotion>>

I agree with this. Clerics should have access to this title when the circumstances fall into place.

Re: Title bug 06/21/2005 10:38 AM CDT

<<Darius or any other Guild Leader does not prevent you from using spells, the god themselves do.>>

technically speaking, no. because you can worship whatever gods you like as whatever guild you are in this game. which is a good thing. whether you are a nmu or a mu. I'm talking about roleplaying here, as an IC explanation as an excuse as to why that guy over there can't cast courage, or that girl over yonder can't cast chain lightning.

And the guildleaders grant the ability to use spells, not the gods. if you JOIN the wm or MM guild, Gauthus or Kssarh teaches you to use spells, not Meraud.

---

Re: Title bug 06/21/2005 10:58 AM CDT
Why do I have this recurring desire to repeatedly stab #2 pencils into my eyes?
Re: Title bug 06/21/2005 11:52 AM CDT
Not sure what WMs or MMs have anything to do with this discussion, so let me rephrase my response for you.

Darius or any other Paladin Guild Leader do not prevent you from casting spells, the gods themselves do.

This is from the Paladin Guild section:

Some parting words of wisdom from the Paladin Guild Leaders are as follows: ?Never abuse your skills or take them for granted. What the Gods give, they also can remove.?

So again, your statement is incorrect.

Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page