Necrotic Reconstruction 06/24/2019 05:14 PM CDT
I'm curious about the how/why Necrotic Reconstruction works on what it works on.

The spell description (emphasis mine):
>>A staple tool of apprentice and master reanimators alike, Necrotic Reconstruction provides instantaneous mending to a servant that has not yet outgrown its usefulness. The false healing operates by bolstering the Unlife within forms, which in turn flares to defy any mundane wounds present. Curiously, the spell does affect non-undead creations of Animation magic, albeit with less potency.

The spell is (obviously) designed first and foremost to heal zombies. That said, you CAN cast it on dead critters that have not been reanimated, as long as you preserve it first:

>cast giant
You poke the corpse of a mountain giant.
The spell fizzles because this corpse has not been preserved by you.

>perf preserve on giant
You bend over the giant's corpse to make one long, continuous cut with your ritual knife that just barely pierces into it. Unseen energies seep into the creature's fluids, suspending the corpse in unnatural stasis for a time.
Roundtime: 4 sec.

>cast giant
You poke the corpse of a mountain giant.
Your bloodied hand dries up within moments of lacing the reconstructive pattern, leaving behind a refined black dust.
The detrita from the destroyed parts of the mountain giant's body collectively secrete maggoty ribbons of slime, pulsating a little. This prompts the dead skin, flesh and bone that make up the creature to pull apart, be displaced, then knit back together beneath the atrous catalyst.

So, questions:
1) Is it intentional that you can cast it on a dead (preserved) corpse that has never been animated?

2) If so, how does that square with the concept of "false healing"? NR is a prerequisite for SRE, which makes this whole thing all the more interesting to the lore side of my brain. To my knowledge, this spell is the only mention of this term.

3) Any chance NR could be castable on PC corpses? (And, theoretically, if it did work would it cause any sort of issues with resurrection or subsequent Empathic healing?)

- I
Re: Necrotic Reconstruction 06/25/2019 10:49 AM CDT
From what I remember, NR can be used to heal corpses as a fully healed zombie has a longer duration. I don't factually know if this was ever the case, though.

"If I take death into my life, acknowledge it, and face it squarely, I will free myself from the anxiety of death and the pettiness of life - and only then will I be free to become myself." ~ Martin Heidegger
Re: Necrotic Reconstruction 06/25/2019 11:21 AM CDT
>From what I remember, NR can be used to heal corpses as a fully healed zombie has a longer duration. I don't factually know if this was ever the case, though.

A fully healed corpse and a capped CFB will last for 3 hours.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Necrotic Reconstruction 12/04/2019 02:28 PM CST
I was going to make a topic very similar to this one, but I see most of my concerns were already brought up in the OP of this thread.

A while ago Consume Flesh and Devour got some messaging updates to make it clear that the healing that was happening was the result of exploiting the thanatologically created transference link between the caster and the corpse. It would be very nice if we could get the same kind of messaging rewrite for Necrotic Reconstruction so we don't have to scratch our heads over weird terms like "unlife" and "false healing".
Re: Necrotic Reconstruction 12/04/2019 03:12 PM CST
>>A while ago Consume Flesh and Devour got some messaging updates to make it clear that the healing that was happening was the result of exploiting the thanatologically created transference link between the caster and the corpse. It would be very nice if we could get the same kind of messaging rewrite for Necrotic Reconstruction so we don't have to scratch our heads over weird terms like "unlife" and "false healing".

Yeah, sure. I whipped up an alternative paragraph, give me a little bit to get it QC'd and pushed live.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Necrotic Reconstruction 12/04/2019 03:17 PM CST
Thank you!
Re: Necrotic Reconstruction 12/04/2019 03:59 PM CST
This is now live. Modest change in the Guildleader speech.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino