Which spells cause DO? 06/24/2016 12:38 PM CDT
Do all Transidental Necromancy spells cause DO? Looking for a list of what causes DO as I recently ate my first divine wrath death and am looking to recalibrate my training regiment.
Re: Which spells cause DO? 06/24/2016 01:44 PM CDT
AFAIK, all Trans spells, CFB, QE, CF, and DEVO.

Don't use those spells to train any of your magics.
Re: Which spells cause DO? 06/24/2016 03:00 PM CDT
If it helps any, I train Aug with OBF, Ward with MAF and Utility with GAF.

You could use EOTB for Utility if you're comfortable with anyone wondering how you keep popping in/out of visibility.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Which spells cause DO? 06/24/2016 05:40 PM CDT

Or RoC/RoG for utility. Being a cyclic, they're super duper easy.
Re: Which spells cause DO? 06/24/2016 09:38 PM CDT

It seems PHP and CH while hunting are enough to get to DO cap.
Re: Which spells cause DO? 06/24/2016 10:15 PM CDT
>> It seems PHP and CH while hunting are enough to get to DO cap.

No they aren't. Not even close. Even if you're hunting nigh-24/7 you should not be getting enough from maintaining those spells to get anywhere close to the DO cap.

You are doing something else that is both strange and wrong.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Which spells cause DO? 06/24/2016 10:59 PM CDT

Not sure what to tell you other then I perform harvest, perhaps that's it, too many rituals combined with those two. In any event I did incur the wrath of Trothfang and I didn't cast any animation or other trans spells, nor blood burst.
Re: Which spells cause DO? 06/24/2016 11:22 PM CDT
To echo THAYET, I spend about half my time hunting now, as I'm neglecting weapons, and every time I hunt I cast Trans spells. It's also worth reminding that there's a... 5? minute grace period for casting within the same book, so if you cast PHP and CH, you only get DO-dinged once. Also, I harvest or dissect all my critters.

You are doing something bizarre if you're at the DO cap. You'd have to be casting them every 10m or something for hours at end to get there. Are you using Trans spells to train your magics?
Re: Which spells cause DO? 06/24/2016 11:50 PM CDT

Nope, not using any Trans to train, just buffing with 70-80 mana PHP and CH every time they fall, not positive that they are lining up in the 5 minute grace period so I may be taking twice as many DO hits as you based on that.
Re: Which spells cause DO? 06/25/2016 09:32 AM CDT

If you're putting that kind of mana in, they definitely are lasting more than the grace period.

Are you in combat 24/7? Seriously, DO isn't an issue.
Re: Which spells cause DO? 07/01/2016 08:42 PM CDT

150+ Necro here and I've been smote twice in the past 4 days. I keep up PHP and IVM almost constantly as I've been spending 95% of my time in combat (I play a lot, I work second shift so lacking on the having a life side), the only other thing I do is heal up as needed. So yeah, keeping up buffs while spending a lot of time in combat can definitely get you smote! My ritual I use is dissect, except when I heal up, then I use preserve/consume. For buffs I'm capping spells, for Devour I cast at 50 mana.
Re: Which spells cause DO? 07/01/2016 09:27 PM CDT

Out of curiosity, why are you spending all that time in combat? Tm can be locked in 15 or 20m, and then there's no reason to have it up for another 45 or so.
Re: Which spells cause DO? 07/02/2016 12:34 AM CDT

Weapons weapons weapons! Lol Keeping everything I train moving, plus all the defenses. After each weapon cycle I do magics too, then my weapon script resorts the weapons and starts training from lowest to highest again, rinse repeat. It's how my cleric has over 40k ranks and the necro will be eventually.
Re: Which spells cause DO? 07/02/2016 04:54 PM CDT

Man, I cannot wait to be done with 7th and 8th survival, or whatever. Outdoorsmanship and Athletics, blech.
Re: Which spells cause DO? 07/02/2016 05:16 PM CDT

>Man, I cannot wait to be done with 7th and 8th survival, or whatever. Outdoorsmanship and Athletics, blech.

Is this a change that is coming?

Sorry...not to change the topic. Also, on topic....is Syphon Vitality on the list of DO causing spells? And one step further, what exactly does DO do to you aside from occasional death and no deeds?
Re: Which spells cause DO? 07/03/2016 02:21 AM CDT
<<Is this a change that is coming?

It means once they hit the requirements for a given circle they'll stop training it. Circle 200 requirements for 6th and 7th survivals are 1270 and 1020 ranks respectively. Some people stop at 150th requirements, since there's no real benefit to circling past 150th aside from prestige, so those requirements are 620 and 520 respectively.

<<Sorry...not to change the topic. Also, on topic....is Syphon Vitality on the list of DO causing spells?

It is not.

<<And one step further, what exactly does DO do to you aside from occasional death and no deeds?

It is what makes you unable to be aided by empaths and clerics and able to be detected by moon mages, empaths, and clerics. As well as a few other things. The full list is here: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Outrage#Effects_of_Divine_Outrage

Note that as you increase in circle, up to 100th circle, your minimum DO level increases, so some of those effects eventually become unavoidable.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Magic 3.2 Blood Burst 07/26/2016 04:57 PM CDT
Interesting this didn't make the cut to be released in the next two days with the rest of the spells. Any hints or updates on when at least?
Re: Magic 3.2 Blood Burst 07/26/2016 05:04 PM CDT
So here's the deal on Heavy TM:

As initially conceived it just doesn't work very well - which is a large damage TM spell with a cool down.

Combat mechanics get cranky when you try and just turn the numbers to 11 and the feedback just isn't there to make them feel powerful enough. The solution has been to either approach it from another angle (Beckon the Naga for example) or to add an additional effect. The most common additional effect would be a DoT (Damage over Time), something we've long wanted a core mechanic for, and I wrote a good chunk of the mechanics for that. The problem is that the mechanics don't stand well on their own without the barrier review being finished and when I realized they were going to be vastly more complicated to write and balance than I initially hoped they were pulled from Magic 3.2.

The long term goal is for Blood Boil to let it actually cause some horrific burning-type damage so it actually feels like a Heavy TM spell. Dragon's Breath is also slated for a similar mechanic, but it works okay as it is so we didn't pull the conversion on that one. Flashfreeze will likely have a secondary debilitation effect as it tries to freeze a body part solid.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Magic 3.2 Blood Burst 07/26/2016 05:23 PM CDT
So, pretty much it's going to take awhile. Gotcha. Anyways, massive props to you guys to tackle the magic system rewrite and doing a lot of good work.
Re: Magic 3.2 Blood Burst 07/26/2016 07:55 PM CDT

I'd out a vote in for something unique coming out of the next necro tm. Right now our spells are fairly niche. Vivi is my bread and butter, with sv being used in the rare instance of dying and bleeding. Usol is a quick room clear. I'd like more situational stuff.
Re: Magic 3.2 Blood Burst 07/26/2016 09:51 PM CDT
>>I'd like more situational stuff.

TBH, I'm not sure what the difference niche and situational are.

The thing I love the most about Necro TM is that we have only one "this is a TM spell" spell (and even that does it in a unique way), and everything else holds a special purpose.

Direct (varied) Damage? ACS
Snipe? VIV
AoE? USOL
Health Vit? SV
Splash Damage? BLB (granted, not a fan of this one, but to be fair it is a unique thing)

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Magic 3.2 Blood Burst 07/26/2016 09:55 PM CDT
Oh, that said, a TM spell that does no physical damage and only vit would be nice.

Re: Magic 3.2 Blood Burst 07/27/2016 06:58 AM CDT

Heh, I suppose this is why I shouldn't post from my cellphone while I'm falling asleep - what I wrote made no sense.

I think Necromancer TM is by in large in a pretty solid place. We've got a variety of tools with minimal redundancy. I think a current gap is that we have no DFA and no offensive anti-magic, and while this is solved with sorcery, I could also imagine our spellbooks getting a few additions. Presently, I use VIVI 95% of the time, USOL 4%, and SV on those rare occasions. I really only use USOL for cleaning up a room when I'm about to leave, and I really only use SV for the odd situation of having too many internals, and even then, only for a few casts to stabilize before I can start CF/Devo'ing.

So, other than DFA (which is arguably to a degree mitigated by VIVI being a snipe), offensive anti-magic (which I believe is limited to magic primes anyway), and the much discussed non-damaging vit reducing CleanCorpseGenerator, I sort of feel like we're ripe for 'something else that's awesome'. A bunch of ideas have been floated, and to be honest, perhaps in direct contradiction to what I started this whole thing asking for, would rather we not just get another templated spell, but get something cool and new and unique. So, uh, justthinkingoutloud.