Locate Block 03/02/2016 03:05 AM CST
Do we have a way to block MM's from locating us? :)
Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 03:19 AM CST
>>Do we have a way to block MM's from locating us? :)

I recommend killing the Moon Mage and using their eyes to make your next Risen.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 03:22 AM CST
WTB backtrace enchantment. :P

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 06:17 AM CST
>>Do we have a way to block MM's from locating us?

Yes. Our warding spells are great.

Condran Arkarm
Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 09:16 AM CST
>>I recommend killing the Moon Mage and using their eyes to make your next Risen.

It would be hilarious if Necromancers who want to avoid being located via locate/familiars/etc could cut off one of their hands and use it as a fake beacon.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 09:24 AM CST
Mm, I think being able to re-direct such to their risen would prove an interesting ability.

Samsaren
Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 09:31 AM CST
>>Mm, I think being able to re-direct such to their risen would prove an interesting ability.

IMO, I'd want my Risen off-the-grid as much as my Necro. I like the idea of treating my Necro's hand like a cellphone I know is being tracked and bury it under a log to throw off the fuzz not that I've been watching a lot of Blacklist and Burn Notice type shows or anything.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 09:41 AM CST
> I recommend killing the Moon Mage and using their eyes to make your next Risen.

You all heard it from the GM's mouth! Risen are released!

On a more serious topic: it would be nice to have something along the lines of creating a dummy trail. Once you realize you are located you could do whatever and then lead them astray on follow up locates.
Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 10:54 AM CST

>I like the idea of treating my Necro's hand like a cellphone I know is being tracked and bury it under a log to throw off the fuzz not that I've been watching a lot of Blacklist and Burn Notice type shows or anything.

I think this might provide an interesting discussion...

What does locate do?

Does it find the mind? body? soul?

Would it work on the Transcended/a Transcendi? What about a Lich?
Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 11:01 AM CST
>>Does it find the mind? body? soul?

Or any kind of tracking widget, really. Except for the Thief contact locate, I think most others are magical, and it would be interesting to know the lore behind it and if those rules could be "tricked"

>>Would it work on the Transcended/a Transcendi? What about a Lich?

I might chalk it up to game mechanics not properly reflecting lore, but Lyras was easily locatable, I believe, correct?

Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 11:46 AM CST
I'd love to see our wards not drop on death. Prevents the random "helpful" moon mage from locating us due to our temporary change in state of being.
Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 01:55 PM CST

Not a fan of removing my own body parts to throw off a locate or familiar. A better option would be a fetish that is consumed when located, exploding violently into gooey bits. Like an eyeball/ear necklace, the offending Mage should also contest against an equally gooey eyeball eruption.
Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 02:43 PM CST
>> Yes. Our warding spells are great.

Whaaaaaa...???

Are you saying WM blocks scrying?
Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 02:50 PM CST
It blocks spells directed at you. Locate will be warded against because it's a spell directed at you, not because it's scrying. It doesn't matter if a spell is remotely cast or not. I think shadewatch mirror will also be resisted but only at the cast. A pre-exisiting mirror or one that breaks through the ward will work just fine. Familiars and thief scrying will also not be blocked since they're not a spell.
Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 03:00 PM CST
<<It blocks spells directed at you. Locate will be warded against because it's a spell directed at you, not because it's scrying. It doesn't matter if a spell is remotely cast or not.>>

Good to know! Ty!
Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 03:48 PM CST
>>Does it find the mind? body? soul?

Moon Mage remote-casting works by the Name, or if you want to get fancy a directed intentionality encapsulated by a person's name. The closest analog in that dialect is "the mind," but it's nearly (or actually) impossible to fool or "miss" at the basic level. You can screw with the spell in various ways but you can't just call yourself Joe and get spells firing off at all the other Joes in the world. It's meant for you, it targets you.

Moon Mages also deal with "true names" sometimes, such as with the Naming Ritual, but that's a much more specific application and doesn't really come into play on a person by person basis.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 04:28 PM CST
>> On a more serious topic: it would be nice to have something along the lines of creating a dummy trail. Once you realize you are located you could do whatever and then lead them astray on follow up locates.

I've requested an improved copy of the Fortune's Path cantrip before, but I don't think we'll ever get it. I still think it would be the perfect tool for mover and shaker necromancers, and it fits pretty neatly within our wheelhouse.

Thayet

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 05:19 PM CST
>>You can screw with the spell in various ways but you can't just call yourself Joe and get spells firing off at all the other Joes in the world. It's meant for you, it targets you.

Please note this is all tongue-in-cheek, but...

1) What if you split yourself down the middle equally, then move one part to Shard and another to Theren? Which half is the "true" half?
2) How much "you" has to be "you" for it to work? Where the majority of your body is? Where your head is? If a person could successfully cast off a few parts of himself, could it ruin the magic?

Once again, chop off hand, make it a bigger essence of "you", and hilarity can ensue!

Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 05:36 PM CST

>Moon Mages also deal with "true names" sometimes, such as with the Naming Ritual, but that's a much more specific application and doesn't really come into play on a person by person basis.

Whoa. Is this a new sentiment in the lore, or has it always been like this?

Very Earthsea.
Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 05:42 PM CST
<<Is this a new sentiment in the lore, or has it always been like this?

Invocation of the Spheres was originally called Invocation of Names during development before being released as Invocation of Energy, and the astral plane has always had the lore of using something's true name.
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Invocation_of_Names_(2.0)
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Naming_Ritual
Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 05:43 PM CST
>> Whoa. Is this a new sentiment in the lore, or has it always been like this?

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Book:BrtPIMRT

Thayet

Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 05:51 PM CST
> 2) How much "you" has to be "you" for it to work? Where the majority of your body is? Where your head is? If a person could successfully cast off a few parts of himself, could it ruin the magic?

Which is the part people will refer to as "Joe", and which is "Joe's missing hand"? No one is going to claim that a severed hand is Joe while the rest is "Joe's other parts".

> 1) What if you split yourself down the middle equally, then move one part to Shard and another to Theren? Which half is the "true" half?

We might take a lesson from fiction where things like this happened. In Farscape, fans gave the two Crichtons different names. So each half would get its own name, probably based on the original name, and "Joe" would now be a null reference.
Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 06:05 PM CST
>>Invocation of the Spheres was originally called Invocation of Names

This is not true. Invocation of Names is a totally different idea - it was abandoned because the mechanical concept was rather lame and didn't live up to the lore. It's a concept waiting a good mechanical idea. Armifer and I discuss it occasionally.

Invocation of the Spheres use to be Invocation of Energy.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 06:06 PM CST
Oh, well the concept of invoking names was around back then anyway.
Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 06:31 PM CST
>>We might take a lesson from fiction where things like this happened. In Farscape, fans gave the two Crichtons different names. So each half would get its own name, probably based on the original name, and "Joe" would now be a null reference.

In that Farscape case it's important to remember that even though the fans gave them two separate names, the writers insisted they were both Crichton. Neither one was "the true Crichton" due to the circumstances of how it happened, both had equal ownership of the previous life (which makes the events of Daedalus Demands, Icarus Abides more poignant).

Yes, I'm also a Farscape nerd.

DR has no IC mechanism that'd split someone like that, at least not yet (can't claim it'd never happen), so it's never been broached what would happen to them regarding their mystical connection to each other.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 07:25 PM CST
And here I was thinking all this time that dryzt, drizzet, drizt, and dritzfury were all some kind of magical clone abomination thing. But there goes Armifer, telling me it's not so.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 08:18 PM CST

Huh, neat. I forgot that learning the grazhir shards was done via learning their true names.

Despite it's flaws, I really enjoyed Name of the Wind, and am eager for the third.
Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 08:19 PM CST
ughhh rothfuss

Let's not ruin a perfectly good thread :(

Thayet

Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 08:25 PM CST

DESPITE ITS FLAWS!!!

“Only in silence the word,
Only in dark the light,
Only in dying life:
Bright the hawk's flight
On the empty sky."
Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 09:00 PM CST
Rothfuss was one of the first times I read much about sympathetic magic. Not saying he was the first, but it was, for me, a novel take on the 'true name' genre. Just wish he didn't take 30 years per book.
Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 10:15 PM CST
> the writers insisted they were both Crichton

Well, the writers said they were equally Crichton. Neither was completely the original, as you say. And they quickly began developing different sets of experiences. Which I'd say justifies the fan naming.
Re: Locate Block 03/02/2016 11:29 PM CST
Just a couple more thoughts for the wall, having multiple outcomes to blocking the Locate spell, for example:

Moon Mage casts locate on Necro:

1) Successful Locate on Necro (Necro did not try to divert the Locate).

2) Successful Locate on Necro, but got a head wound or nerve damage of some sort, or a stun/longer stun (because the Necro tried to divert the Locate to another spot but failed, MM got the Locate position but got dinged a little for it).

3) No success Locate on Necro (Necro was able to successfully divert the Locate to another room or something like that).

~ Necro John ~
Re: Locate Block 03/03/2016 08:35 AM CST
Please keep the discussion on the topic of Necromancers; we've veered far from that.

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator

If you have a question about the forums, please email me Senior Board Moderator Helje at DR-Helje@play.net or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl at DR-Annwyl@play.net
Re: Locate Block 03/03/2016 08:38 AM CST

>Just a couple more thoughts for the wall, having multiple outcomes to blocking the Locate spell, for example:

Just to piggy-back on those multiple outcomes...
Maybe a meta added to Obfuscation? Or EOTB? I'd say probably have the skill check favor the moonie though, since I know there's at least one auction item that prevents locating.
Re: Locate Block 03/03/2016 11:08 AM CST
>>No one is going to claim that a severed hand is Joe while the rest is "Joe's other parts".

Then again, Beyond the Barrier has all those Lyras fragments which are self-sustaining... Lyrasii? Hah.

That said, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, there are anti-locate rings, and my gut feeling is that they're going to show up in the enchanting system in some way or another (please note this gut feeling is based on the fact that if I see something given out at a raffle I expect it to someday have more milage than a raffle).

Re: Locate Block 03/03/2016 03:05 PM CST
I have a couple of the anti-locate rings but I'm honestly not sure they're working right now.

Thayet