EOTB Spell Learning Oddity 02/03/2016 12:54 PM CST
Deleted my last post after I noticed I had not edited out potential spoilers and I'm not sure of the current status around that.

Anyway, basics of issue were I had all the reqs met EOTB but could not learn it. Somehow it auto corrected itself but have no idea why, so figured I would leave this up. Prior attempts with EOTB did not work either.

Note these are within 30 seconds of each other with no rank gains or any other commands between them.

> choose eyes of the blind spell
xxxxxxxx shakes his head. "No, my son. Not until you are ready. And you may never be."

> ask xxxxxxxx about magic

xxxxxxxx nods, "I will enlighten you further about the arcane arts. Let me think... I believe that you are ready to learn about the Quicken the Earth spell from the Animation book, the Heighten Pain spell from the Blood Magic book, the Visions of Darkness and Eyes of the Blind spells from the Corruption book, and the Acid Splash spell from the Synthetic Creation book." After a brief pause, he continues, "If you wish specifics about any of these books, simply ask."

> choose eyes of the blind spell
xxxxxxxx nods and says, "Let us begin, my son."

The Philosopher pulls out a leather-bound tome and begins to lead you through the complexities of actualizing the Eyes of the Blind pattern. The process is long, and laborious, but eventually the knowledge sinks into your skull with comfortable familiarity. xxxxxxxx says with finality, "The Eyes of the Blind spell is now yours."
Re: EOTB Spell Learning Oddity 02/03/2016 01:10 PM CST
That message indicated a "you don't have enough skill" error, which can be circumvented by asking again within a short time.

I'm not sure what to do with it in practice because while having that stop is important for big spells, trying to estimate casting skill even when I'm running through the exact same calcs as an actual cast is somehow plagued with inaccuracies and voodoo.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: EOTB Spell Learning Oddity 02/03/2016 01:12 PM CST
That makes sense. I was able to cast it just fine, but I know we are talking about the extreme of small numbers here.

>>Utility: 3 51.23% clear (0/34) - Amazing I know

Thanks for the quick response!
Re: EOTB Spell Learning Oddity 02/03/2016 01:34 PM CST
Maybe the skill messaging just needs to better indicate that it's not an issue with slots/prereqs?

I think the OP actually thought they didn't qualify, not that they were possibly unable to cast it due to skill limitations. That's how I was reading it, too.

Maybe something like [OOC: Your character may still lack the skill to effectively cast this spell at a minimum prep.] in that bright blue alert color might resolve the confusion.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: EOTB Spell Learning Oddity 02/03/2016 05:25 PM CST
This would be a great addition/clarification, as it is difficult to know what is going on when you fail either the skill check or the slot check.

GENT