Vivisection snipe 01/28/2016 11:11 AM CST

Can someone please explain to me the purpose behind a target being able to tell who's using vivisection against them if we're in hiding? If my stealth is towering over my targets perception, why do they get to KNOW it was me? As far as I can wrap my head around, there's no RP reason for this other than just giving us another negative side effect of using it. Does snipe behave this way? Can they tell they're being sniped by so and so even if they don't have the perception to physically see the attack coming? Just curious if this has ever been hashed out.
Re: Vivisection snipe 01/28/2016 11:15 AM CST

This was brought up before, and the reason was something along the lines of them not wanting us to grief people essentially. Snipe I do not believe shows the name of the shooter, but is a much older system so they were not inclined to remove it from them. If a person with snipe starts breaking game policy and such, I believe they risk losing the ability to snipe.

I don't really get involved with pvp, so I have no real feeling on this either way.
Re: Vivisection snipe 01/28/2016 11:32 AM CST
They learned from all the policy stuff that had to be attached to Snipe because of the lack of knowing who is attacking, so instead of attaching that policy to Vivisection and increasing the amount of time and complaints it would have generated they just allowed the target to see who attacked and everyone else in the room is clueless.

It has been mentioned before how they want to change Snipe to how Vivi works, but it's low on the priority list.
Re: Vivisection snipe 01/28/2016 11:56 AM CST
>>They learned from all the policy stuff that had to be attached to Snipe because of the lack of knowing who is attacking, so instead of attaching that policy to Vivisection and increasing the amount of time and complaints it would have generated they just allowed the target to see who attacked and everyone else in the room is clueless.

I VASTLY prefer the Vivi system to snipe, but from a Necromancer and a vs Necromancer POV. Anything that can avoid policy headaches is a plus in my book.

Samsaren
Re: Vivisection snipe 01/28/2016 12:51 PM CST
As much as you may dislike the way Vivi works, it's drastically better than snipes policy.

Having known a handful of players who have lost snipe, it's pretty rough. It makes you hesitant to even use it in a conflict just in case there's any grey area. I believe the current GM's would handle it better now than it used to be, but it's still a nightmare of policy. It's just too good of a training tool to take a chance on losing.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Vivisection snipe 01/28/2016 01:08 PM CST
TBH I'm not sure why normal snipe hasn't been changed to work the same way, just to put all those policy issues to bed. It seems like it's always been way more trouble than it's worth.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Vivisection snipe 01/28/2016 01:31 PM CST
>>TBH I'm not sure why normal snipe hasn't been changed to work the same way, just to put all those policy issues to bed. It seems like it's always been way more trouble than it's worth.

Probably because it would require a complete rewrite of Snipe that would only affect 2 guilds, and really only the small group of people who PvP within those 2 guilds. Also, as Elec stated, the vast majority of players who have it and PvP shy away from using it because of the policy which in turn has made it a non-issue on the GM side for awhile (except for maybe less than a handful of cases). Combine this with the all the 3.X/Magic work that has been going on for the last 5 or so years along with the decline in staff, and it's something that has just gone by the wayside because it isn't a priority to players or the GMs.

In short for no real reason other than there have been more important things to deal with.
Re: Vivisection snipe 01/28/2016 01:37 PM CST
The original plan was, in fact, to change conventional snipe to show the player just like Vivisection does. Zeyurn left before that work could be completed and, as noted, it hasn't been a major enough issue to warrant digging through that stuff again.

It'll still probably happen at some point, but there are many fires and few firemen.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Vivisection snipe 01/28/2016 02:05 PM CST
Also stealth systems are scary and if you touch them you own them. Curse you justice system.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Vivisection snipe 01/29/2016 08:20 AM CST

Ah cool, see once it's been explained it's fine. And i wasn't completely like "OMG THIS IS CRAP" *flips tables* mad about it, just kinda curious why one is one way and the other is different when they're essentially the same style ability. Thanks for clearing it up guys!
Re: Vivisection snipe 01/29/2016 02:12 PM CST
Who is with me voting for Raesh to touch the stealth system?

"If I take death into my life, acknowledge it, and face it squarely, I will free myself from the anxiety of death and the pettiness of life - and only then will I be free to become myself." ~ Martin Heidegger
Re: Vivisection snipe 01/29/2016 04:51 PM CST

I'd rather Raesh touch other things. Boy that sounds wrong.
Re: Vivisection snipe 01/29/2016 05:52 PM CST
Or very, very right.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators