Magic Training Question 01/04/2016 07:00 PM CST
Many of my magic skills have just broken 200 (specifically Aug for this example) and I'm having trouble training it as effectively as before without running out of mana. For training, I've been using Obfuscation. Should I just be using cambrinth "more" or is it getting to be time to find a slightly harder spell to train with?

Apologize for what might be an elementary question, but I stopped playing right after they had changed magic learning from snap casting, so I've missed a fair bit of information on this.
Re: Magic Training Question 01/04/2016 07:11 PM CST
Use chaos symbiosis. You don't need any research feats to use it, everyone has access.

Assuming you haven't prepared a different symbiosis (or, I suppose, even if you have)...

prep sym (prepare symbiosis)
prep obf 10 (or whatever)
harn / charge whatever
wait...
cast

The symbiosis increases the difficulty of the spell, so you won't be able to put NEARLY as much mana into it. With low 200's you could probably get 15 mana into the spell without it backfiring. So... instead of needing a 70 mana cast to learn, you'll learn with a 10-15 mana cast. Mana problems gone!

The default (chaos) symbiosis doesn't add any neat effects to the spell, just makes it more difficult with the expressed purpose being mana problems when training.
Re: Magic Training Question 01/04/2016 07:13 PM CST
One additional note - if you use a symbiosis to cast obfuscation at 15 mana instead of 70 (or whatever), you'll only get the buff from a 15 mana cast. So don't use this if you're training stealth and want the boost. It's only useful for learning Augmentation, Utility, etc. from repeat casts.
Re: Magic Training Question 01/04/2016 07:21 PM CST

If you're funneling too much mana into a spell to train, maybe it's time to try symbioses.
Re: Magic Training Question 01/04/2016 07:22 PM CST
Does this help train TM better as well?

"If I take death into my life, acknowledge it, and face it squarely, I will free myself from the anxiety of death and the pettiness of life - and only then will I be free to become myself." ~ Martin Heidegger
Re: Magic Training Question 01/04/2016 07:57 PM CST
<<Does this help train TM better as well?

No. Symbiosis only works with Augmentation, Utility, and Warding spells. Spells that are combinations will teach those components better, but the Targeted Magic or Debilitation component is still based on your skill relative to your target's skill.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Magic Training Question 01/04/2016 08:32 PM CST
Yeah, see it is things like this that I totally missed. I appreciate the rapid reply. Hopefully the lowered max mana won't tank my Arcana learning too much, although that nonsense is out of control (almost as much as PM) in how much I learn of it.
Re: Magic Training Question 01/04/2016 09:24 PM CST
>> No. Symbiosis only works with Augmentation, Utility, and Warding spells. Spells that are combinations will teach those components better, but the Targeted Magic or Debilitation component is still based on your skill relative to your target's skill.

Pedantic, but it also works for Sorcery Learning, if the spell being cast is Augmentation, Utility, or Warding.

>> Yeah, see it is things like this that I totally missed. I appreciate the rapid reply. Hopefully the lowered max mana won't tank my Arcana learning too much, although that nonsense is out of control (almost as much as PM) in how much I learn of it.

It shouldn't, as long as the cast is challenging, you'll learn a good amount of Arcana (and Attunement if harnessing) when you cast.