Prev_page Previous 1
My outing, without my name! 08/31/2015 06:51 PM CDT
Long post, but want to say thank you to those involved in allowing me some good times. Also, thank you to a certain informant for not totally creating a scene and allowing the situation to unfold(even capitalizing from it).

XXXX just arrived from a soulstone archway.
XXXX smiles at you.
You raise your hand in a quick salute.
XXXX snaps to attention and hails you with a crisp hand salute.
You say, "Good day."
XXXX exclaims, "Hello!"
You take a bite of the beef, the tender beef dripping with hints of wine, onion and honey. Mmm!
XXXX asks, "Having a good meal?"
You say, "Could be worse."
You say, "Hard tack and such is what Im used to down south."
XXXX says, "Thank you for coming up here, very appreciated."
XXXX casually observes the area.
You nod.
You say, "Its my job to come when requested."
You say, "Perhaps Ill patrol after we are done, never know what monsters are lurking around."
YYYY just arrived from a soulstone archway.
XXXX says, "So it's a quite odd topic honestly I have to bring up and you'll have to forgive me."
XXXX says, "Indeed."
YYYY smiles.
YYYY says, "Hello."
You say, "Good day."
XXXX pats YYYY on the back.
XXXX winks.
YYYY asks, "Whats going on?"
You say, "Dinner."
You ask, "Hungry?"
YYYY nods.
YYYY says, "Always."
XXXX says, "Well I was about to clue him in on my investigation of sorts."
YYYY asks, "What we having?"
XXXX says to you, "We're talking to everyone individually."
YYYY nods to XXXX.
XXXX says, "It's come to our attention that there is a spy in the Guard."
XXXX frowns.
YYYY winces.
You ask, "A spy?"
XXXX says, "For a week or so I've been clearing all of the council, officers...it's been a lot of darn work."
XXXX says, "And sadly, you're next."
XXXX chuckles.
YYYY says, "We just want to clear you and then we will be on our way, no biggie."
YYYY nods.
You say, "I am not privvy to anything that most would consider noteworthy."
You frown.
YYYY says, "Me either."
YYYY nods.
YYYY messily gobbles down some fresh herb-rubbed shrimp.
YYYY says, "Mmmmmmm."
XXXX ponders.
You take a bite of the beef, the tender beef dripping with hints of wine, onion and honey. Mmm!
XXXX asks, "Well why did you join the Guard?"
YYYY smiles at you.
You say, "To protect the Baron and citizens of Theren."
YYYY nods at you, obviously agreeing with your views.
You say, "I would say the pay is nice too, but that would be a lie."
You frown.
YYYY ponders.
XXXX chuckles.
YYYY asks, "How do you like being in the Guard?"
XXXX asks, "How did you find out about the Guard? Did you know anyone else before joining?"
You say, "I had made an occassional foray up here for supplies, and have noticed members assisting wide eyed tourists that were lost."
YYYY nods.
YYYY asks, "What Guild are you?"
You say, "In terms of knowing anyone, I don't think I did."
YYYY smiles at you.
You say, "Warmage, as was demonstrated before ZZZZZ and WWWW."
YYYY nods.
XXXX nods.
YYYY asks, "By bringing out a fam maybe?"
XXXX says, "Sorry my thoughts are buzzing some. Apologies."
XXXX smiles at YYYY.
YYYY smiles at XXXX.
XXXX asks, "Yeah, how did your necro test go?"
You say, "It was odd."
You say, "Cast a few spells, collect some grass."
You say, "Strange beliefs I guess."
YYYY says, "Hmm well I don't know too much about that but as Krist said we are talking to everyone and just double checking things."
YYYY says, "Really mainly procedurale, to get the paperwork done."
YYYY says, "I'm sure you understand."
YYYY smiles at you.
You say, "One can never be too careful."
YYYY says, "Exactly."
You say, "I am told the knife in hand is the one that cuts deepest."
YYYY says, "So again I don't know what ZZZZ did or asked you to do."
YYYY nods to you.
XXXX frowns.
YYYY says, "We care about the Guard."
YYYY says, "And we take this seriously."
XXXX says, "Well apart of our investigation is to redo necromancer tests."
XXXX asks, "Would you mind doing that?"
YYYY says, "So we do apologize for the inconvience of it."
You ask, "More dirt and spells?"
You shrug.
YYYY says, "Well."
YYYY asks, "Would you be able to conjure up your fam? please?"
XXXX says, "A familiar is the best way actually."
XXXX nods to YYYY.
You say, "Of course."
YYYY says, "Thank you."
You say, "Let me get my talisman."
You smile, revealing the dimples in your cheeks.
YYYY nods.
You rummage through a sturdy backpack
You frown.
YYYY ponders.
You say, "It seems I forgot my talisman."
XXXX takes a deep breath.
XXXX asks, "You have none on you?"
YYYY asks, "Where do you think it is?"
XXXX says, "How about summoning then. You can practice summoning."
YYYY says, "I thought War mages usually carried them around."
XXXX says, "I know you sit in this weird warmie way."
XXXX grins at YYYY.
YYYY says, "Hmmm."
YYYY grins at XXXX.
XXXX says, "My daughter is a warrior mage."
XXXX shrugs.
You say, "Familiars have their uses, but they require effort on the mage to maintain."
XXXX raises an eyebrow.
YYYY asks, "Really?"
You nod to YYYY.
YYYY says, "Looks pretty easy to me, watching from the outside but anyways we are getting off topic."
You say, "If you were a warmage, you would understand the mental tax they place on a mage."
YYYY asks, "Is it in your vault?"
YYYY says, "We can go there."
You ask, "In shard?"
YYYY says, "Well sure or we could transfer the vault."
YYYY says, "To here."
YYYY says, "Either way."
You say, "There is surely another way."
You ponder.
YYYY says, "No I think thats the best way."
You frown.
YYYY says, "Lets get it done so we can finish our paper work and be off doing more fun things."
YYYY smiles.
You ask, "And if I refuse to be accused thusly?"
YYYY says, "Well we aren't accusing you of anything of course."
You say, "Says the two to the one."
You sigh.
YYYY says, "But so far everyong has understood this situation and cooperated."
XXXX sighs.
YYYY says, "We aren't threatening you."
XXXX says, "Look."
XXXX says, "Hold hun."
YYYY says, "But this is serious and we aren't asking for much."
XXXX pats YYYY on the back.
YYYY nods.
You point at a polished soulstone archway.
You ask, "Would not this show me to be true?"
XXXX says, "Summoning is something every warrior mage can do. You can open up the pathway."
XXXX flatly says, "If you refuse to practice a pathway in our prescence we'll have no choice but to remove you from the Guard."
YYYY sighs.
XXXX says, "No need to make excuses about familiars."
XXXX says, "I don't mean to sound mean about this but every other Guard was more than willing to prove it."
XXXX folds her arms across her chest.
YYYY gazes at you.
YYYY nods.
You frown.
YYYY says, "We aren't asking alot."
YYYY inventively demonstrates how to use the Shield Usage skill to best advantage.
You say, "I have done all that I can, and you still do not see."
You sigh.
You say, "When I undertook the oath. . . ."
YYYY says, "What we see is we are asking you to do something all but the youngests of Warrior Mages do routinely and you seem to have an issue with this."
XXXX peers quizzically at you.
You say, "I swore to honor the creed of justice, not law. Of deeds, and not words. . . ."
You say, "I truly meant it."
XXXX says, "Oaths."
XXXX gnaws on her lip.
YYYY nods to you.
XXXX says, "I'm not asking you for your oath though."
You say, "But you do not understand, you do not see the truth of the universe."
YYYY says, "This is part of justice."
XXXX says, "I'm asking that you prove to me that you are not a necromancer."
XXXX gazes at YYYY.
You say, "It has everything to do with justice."
XXXX says, "Necromancers are an abomination."
XXXX says, "They defy the Gods."
YYYY nods to XXXX.
You say, "Where is the justice in those that would reward the faithful with death, rebirth, and death again."
XXXX blinks at you.
YYYY says, "I have no idea what you are talking about."
You say, "What I do, I do for the love of all Theren."
XXXX says, "Well I raise from the ashes but I am a cleric."
You say, "Question not who is the monster among us. . . ."
XXXX says, "And yet you're never in Theren...."
You say, "I have done patrols every other week."
You shrug.
YYYY says, "Well yeah we have to of course question who is the monster among us."
You say, "It matters not."
YYYY says, "Thats what we are doing."
YYYY nods.
XXXX sighs.
You ask, "Do you wish me to summon?"
You sigh.
XXXX asks, "Are you a necromancer or do you force me to check in other ways?"
You say, "Do you want me to summon. . . . ."
XXXX squints.
You scowl.
XXXX says, "A weapon."
You glance at a cutting board laden with chunks of zesty marinated beef.
You say, "In the end, we are all little more than meat."
You drop some chunks of zesty marinated beef.
You get a tiny glass orb from inside your backpack.
You say, "I suggest you tread carefully."
XXXX exclaims, "YYYY!"
XXXX jumps back from you!
YYYY moves into position to block attacks against XXXX!
YYYY blinks at you.
You ask, "So, no summoning is required?"
You sneer.
YYYY asks, "Are you threatening us?"
XXXX says, "We do not want violence in Theren."
You say, "I am not. I am warning you."
You sense your bond to your Order disappear.
YYYY asks, "And of what exactly?"
YYYY peers quizzically at you.
You say, "Stay out of my way."
YYYY asks, "Or?"
XXXX says to YYYY, "That is a necromancer orb."
You say, "Or I will become the monster you seem to think I am."
XXXX says, "It's done."
YYYY says, "XXXX I am sad to say I guess we have our answer."
YYYY nods to XXXX.
XXXX says, "Or."
XXXX nods.
YYYY says, "I'm sad that for some reason you felt this was all necessary and I"m horrified as well that you have existed with us."
YYYY shudders.
XXXX says, "You might have a motto but it cannot be shared with the Guard."
You say, "And I too, am sad you refuse to accept the gift I offer."
XXXX says, "You need to go or I will bring attention to your prescence."
YYYY says, "We don't want anything you would have to offer, yes please leave, I think we are being kind here."
XXXX nods in agreement.
You put your orb in your backpack.
YYYY dusts herself off.
YYYY sighs.
You say, "Perhaps one day you will realize the gift you have forsaken."
You sigh.
(You bow in mockery)
>go back door
Re: My outing, without my name! 08/31/2015 07:13 PM CDT
Glad you had fun with it buddy. Now come hang out with the cool people. :P

also

>> collect piles

LOL

Thayet
Twitter: @thayelf
Tumblr: thayette.tumblr.com
Re: My outing, without my name! 08/31/2015 09:39 PM CDT

That was beautiful. Well done.
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/01/2015 01:40 PM CDT

Yes, that was pretty bad ass from both sides. Great job.
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/01/2015 02:46 PM CDT

It is odd walking to what you know if your eventually expulsion from a group. I had planned on being in the group longer, but being 99th circle made it both harder to hunt without some abilities, even if far away from Theren. I got lazy and was seen with a construct out, the person who caught me offered me a chance to buy silence, but my character would not be able to trust that purchase so I declined. The guard originally wasn't going to pay for the information either, so I had hoped I could come to some agreement with the third party that may have changed the outcome. It didn't happen that way however, and yesterday when I logged into the AIM group I got a tell asking me where I was and wanting to talk. I knew then the gig was up, and through AIM arranged for my sitting around the order house to be removed.

In the end, like I said, I had fun with the group. I am a little bummed to have been removed from the AIM group, as I feel much could be done between necromancers and orders to come up with mutual storylines for the betterment of all. I knew long ago that I would be found and kicked eventually, but had hopes that getting to know players outside the game would lead to greater opportunities in the future. Thanks to the Guard for the time they spent on one they had to eventually remove, ya guys may not be overly liked in game, but Ive no beef with the players behind them.
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/01/2015 03:32 PM CDT

On behalf of the Guard, I want to say thank you for bringing roleplay to Theren, and I hope this is just the start of an ongoing story that both sides can enjoy.
We have got to know you through our AIM chat and I have nothing but praise for you as a person.... We will be sure to keep in touch and keep the roleplay channels open for you.

The war of good vs evil, or in this case Guard vs Necromancer is always welcome in Therengia for those who enjoy aa splash of roleplay

Somni
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/01/2015 03:37 PM CDT

As someone who has had their Necromancer interact with the Guard a handful of times, I'm glad to see this happened and was handled the way it was.

>The war of good vs evil, or in this case Guard vs Necromancer is always welcome in Therengia for those who enjoy aa splash of roleplay

Because this was not remotely my experience, and I urge more Guard members to recognize how fun and cool what happened here was, and aim to have more things like that in the future!
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/06/2015 09:00 AM CDT

XXXX asks, "Yeah, how did your necro test go?"
You say, "It was odd."
You say, "Cast a few spells, collect some grass."

Seriously? People still do the whole look at what their pile of collected items resembles to determine guild?
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/06/2015 10:51 AM CDT

To be fair, I am not even sure I was tested at all, I don't remember it if so. That was just a sensible reply at the time. I do wish that orders would just drop testing altogether, and let people join and remain members until they have a real reason to suspect. However, I am also aware that people put a lot of effort into their orders and a lot of drama tends occur.

Like I said before, I would have loved to have stayed in the order longer, or at least in the out of game communication channel, but that isn't how it ended up being. Acceptable roleplay in that situation would have been to question me, and if my answers were borderline okay to keep an eye on me. Going straight to guild only mechanical methods is a little unfair, because historically necromancers have come from a variety of guilds prior to taking the descent into necromancy. That isn't something that we as players can adjust to, but food for thought would be to use methods that allow the player to talk their way out of it (unless said player is truly causing problems/disruptions). Adventurers sure do know a lot about what necromancers can and can't do, which is a little sad.
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/06/2015 10:54 AM CDT

Double post, I doubt piles are used anymore however. I started talking/joining with the order around Feb. Back then, piles were tells, but today I imagine they are slightly less obvious with the change. Unless of course there are hard limits to how many items can be within a pile based on survival placement.
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/06/2015 10:58 AM CDT
<<Seriously? People still do the whole look at what their pile of collected items resembles to determine guild?

I actually had a necromancer accuse me of being one when he looked at my pile and saw the necro messaging. He didn't know that they changed it to reflect whatever guild the person who looks at it is. Basically outting himself through ignorance.

Granted I was playing a necro at the time, was still funny.
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/06/2015 03:41 PM CDT
>>Whiplash: Seriously? People still do the whole look at what their pile of collected items resembles to determine guild?

They might, but it doesn't work anymore. As of 5/20/2015, what you see when you look at a pile is a reflection of your own guild, not the guild of the person who made it.

At that time, they also made AVOID !TOUCH prevent handshakes so that people can't determine that you're not a real Trader or Barbarian by shaking your hand.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/06/2015 04:46 PM CDT
>> Adventurers sure do know a lot about what necromancers can and can't do, which is a little sad.

Yuuup.

To be fair, a lot of our spells (trans spells in particular) are meant to evoke the folk knowledge of what a Necromancer looks like. Horrifying mutations, acids, poisons, those are all part of our cultural mein so to speak, so I don't really mind it when someone looks at that stuff and instantly knows you're a Necromancer. That's the point; you are flying your flag and declaring what you are.

On the flip side, you have obviously metagamey stuff like the piles (thankfully dead) or the old ritual messaging (also thankfully dead). You have people who seem to know what spells are called and exactly what they do, what our rituals are for, precisely how to do things like make undead, how our auras and favors and empaths work, but no satisfying answer for how they know any of that. You have people who demand guild spells and abilities when that doesn't really prove anything, and on the flip side dismiss people in other guilds who use necromancy as "not necromancers" because their guild field says something else. That's not to say there aren't ways for them to know that stuff ICly (being told, for example), but nine times out of ten realistically it's somebody who read it on Elanthipedia.

I'm so impressed when someone does roleplay ignorance, because so few people choose to have their characters be ignorant of something or to knowingly have their character be wrong or outsmarted or manipulated by someone else.

I think it's a shame you got shunned by the players involved here as well and cut off from contact with that community. It must suck a lot to develop a bond with other players only to be shunned on the basis of which guild you roleplay in. I do wish Orders would play more nicely with Necromancer players in general really.

Thayet
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/06/2015 04:51 PM CDT
And on the flip-flip side, you have people who sit around dueling with their zombies and chatting it up about their abilities with non-necros like it's afternoon tea at the Crumpetts.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/06/2015 04:52 PM CDT
Those things aren't metagaming though, they're just roleplaying an idiot.

Thayet
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/06/2015 05:00 PM CDT
<<Those things aren't metagaming though, they're just roleplaying an idiot.

They're not roleplaying, which is the point. It's just as disruptive to the necromancer guild concept as metagaming is.

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/06/2015 05:10 PM CDT
>>Thayet: On the flip side, you have obviously metagamey stuff like the piles (thankfully dead) or the old ritual messaging (also thankfully dead). You have people who seem to know what spells are called and exactly what they do, what our rituals are for, precisely how to do things like make undead, how our auras and favors and empaths work, but no satisfying answer for how they know any of that. . . . That's not to say there aren't ways for them to know that stuff ICly (being told, for example), but nine times out of ten realistically it's somebody who read it on Elanthipedia.

There's really no good reason for most non-Necromancers to have in-depth knowledge of how necromancy works. I'd actually like to see more characters become suspicious of such people. ("And just how do you know so much about creating risen?")

However, I could certainly see people sharing IC information about tools that Moon Mages (auras and spells), Clerics (favors), and Empaths (touch) have for detecting Necromancers.

>>Thayet: I think it's a shame you got shunned by the players involved here as well and cut off from contact with that community. It must suck a lot to develop a bond with other players only to be shunned on the basis of which guild you roleplay in. I do wish Orders would play more nicely with Necromancer players in general really.

There is a common perception among Orders that knowingly harboring Necromancers within your ranks will jeopardize your provincial sanction. GMs have implied that Orders can be deceived without putting their sanction at risk, but everyone seems to err on the side of trying to verify that their recruits are what they say they are. Therengia is the most militantly anti-Necro, so I can understand why its Orders might take extra precautions.

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Discussions%20with%20DragonRealms%20Staff%20and%20Players/General%20Discussions/view/10836

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Discussions%20with%20DragonRealms%20Staff%20and%20Players/General%20Discussions/view/10839

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/06/2015 05:12 PM CDT
>> It's just as disruptive to the necromancer guild concept as metagaming is.

I have a hard time taking this line from someone that does not roleplay, does not play a Necromancer, and does not willingly interact with them in any way. Your own choice, of course, which I have and will respect, but at that point you no longer have a stake or say in the discussion about what is and isn't good for people who do.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong (OOCly) with playing a cackling Necrolord with his zombie out in a city. It's not very smart and I occasionally wish there were more creative ways to punish them ICly, but it's not metagaming or intrinsically OOC. I may think Perverse roleplay is over-represented in the playerbase at the moment, but my response to that is going to be encouraging people to play not-Perverse, not telling Perverse to stop what they're doing.

Thayet
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/06/2015 05:20 PM CDT
Doublepost: I wanna clarify that I think it's fine Orders take precautions or even screen for undesirables ICly, it's purely the OOC shunning I think is kind of sketchy. I do wish more of them were more hardline against sorcery use as well in that case, and that they were more thoughtful about what kind of screening they do. "Okay now go talk to this Inquisitor and let them look you over, it's just a formality really but we've had dangerous sociopaths try to join our ranks and sabotage us before" is worlds away from "now please collect some rocks and summon your familiar so we know your Guild field says Warrior Mage next to it." One is doing something to enhance the scene, the other really isn't.

Thayet
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/06/2015 05:25 PM CDT
<<There is nothing intrinsically wrong (OOCly) with playing a cackling Necrolord with his zombie out in a city. It's not very smart and I occasionally wish there were more creative ways to punish them ICly, but it's not metagaming or intrinsically OOC. I may think Perverse roleplay is over-represented in the playerbase at the moment, but my response to that is going to be encouraging people to play not-Perverse, not telling Perverse to stop what they're doing.

Except that's not what they're doing. I'm not talking about roleplaying a perverse necromancer. I'm talking about fluffy-bunnies 'look what I can do isn't this neat?' chat room stuff.

<<I have a hard time taking this line from someone that does not roleplay, does not play a Necromancer, and does not willingly interact with them in any way. Your own choice, of course, which I have and will respect, but at that point you no longer have a stake or say in the discussion about what is and isn't good for people who do.

Not true when I also explicitly state in the same sentence that I respect the roleplaying environment and will not actively disrupt it.

I'm not sure why you're being argumentative anyway, since I'm agreeing with you. But whatever floats the boat I guess.

Re: My outing, without my name! 09/06/2015 06:29 PM CDT

Slight aside: does the Cleric guild do any extensive necromancy-related instruction for novices when they join? There wasn't anything in the messaging, so I've been assuming a certain level of cluelessness on the specifics for my (pretty sheltered) baby Cleric, though I haven't yet actually run into any necromancers to RP with yet.

I'm sure society in general has seen to it that she knows they're really bad news, and has heard about the war with Lyras, but the war itself ended before she was born so she doesn't have much firsthand experience.
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/06/2015 06:59 PM CDT
I know you can ASK at least a few of the Cleric guildleaders about necromancy and they'll give you a brief spiel about how it's evil and anathema and all the gods despise it. Most of the focus is on undead and destroying undead though, rather than spotting and hunting the creators.

Independent of the guild/mechanics are a lot of excellent Clerics that roleplay Inquisitors as well, and they'd be able to give you more detailed information about it if you want to direct your roleplay that way. I suggest hunting down Liurilias or Whiteburn in-game. I think Uritel and Shaidval also do some necro-crunching.

Thayet
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/06/2015 09:45 PM CDT

I've seen Whiteburn! She hissed my little Cleric away from the bathing pool once! XD

My Cleric's personality is such that she wouldn't seek the Inquisitor folks out without prompting, though - at this stage she's much more into the whole 'devotion to gods' and 'good deeds' side of the guild/religion than the 'go smash undeads' part. If she bumps into them and they teach her, so be it! But she might also learn from direct experience, or end up getting deceived, or never run into a necromancer at all. Anything goes!
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/06/2015 10:06 PM CDT
>>Except that's not what they're doing. I'm not talking about roleplaying a perverse necromancer. I'm talking about fluffy-bunnies 'look what I can do isn't this neat?' chat room stuff.

IIRC, there's some lore about a fallen Cleric who is the brother (?) of a guildleader that is used as a cautionary tale, but that's something you'd learn about if you poke around.

My understanding is that the Cleric Guild in particular prefers burying all knowledge of necromancers to the point of refusing to even share any information with their own guild members for the explicit purposes of stopping them. After all, that's kinda/sorta how Kigot started this whole mess.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/07/2015 06:15 AM CDT
>>My understanding is that the Cleric Guild in particular prefers burying all knowledge of necromancers to the point of refusing to even share any information with their own guild members for the explicit purposes of stopping them. After all, that's kinda/sorta how Kigot started this whole mess.

It is also of note that Zamidren Book was a Warrior Mage who was pursuing knowledge of Necromancers in order to destroy them.

Was.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Undying_Threat_%28book%29

There are plenty of good IC reasons to be incredibly distrustful of anyone who displays (or claims) a great deal of knowledge, especially what seems like awfully specific or detailed knowledge, about necromancy. It is, in fact, something that is lore-reinforced by parts of how Social Corruption works (people see you do, say, or carry something that seems very necromantic to their incredibly loose, often uninformed definition of 'necromantic', therefore you are treated as if you may very well be a Necromancer or someone aiding them until the hysteria passes).

The tendency for those gathering knowledge of necromancy 'in order to fight it' to end up thoroughly pro-necromancy (or practicing necromancy) in some fashion eventually, no matter how devout and pure they were before, is in fact so high that the Hounds of Rutilor kind of exist almost entirely because of it. Reflexive and violent reinforcement of ignorance on even the tiniest specifics of necromancy is seen in many circles as the only real way to keep it from spreading.

Of course, reflexive and violent reinforcement of ignorance on even the tiniest specifics of necromancy is also often what drives the otherwise faithful directly into the arms of Necromancers (see also Kigot). So there's that.

-Persida
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/07/2015 11:17 AM CDT
>>It is also of note that Zamidren Book was a Warrior Mage who was pursuing knowledge of Necromancers in order to destroy them.

Hah, yeah. I forget the other big one, of course.

>>It is, in fact, something that is lore-reinforced by parts of how Social Corruption works

It would be funny to eventually see a storyline that targets Necromancer hunters for knowing too much about Necromantic "tells".

But I'm a jerk that way.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/07/2015 12:07 PM CDT
It's pretty easy to know necromancy when you see it in all it's gruesome forms practiced openly and brazenly. The trumpeting of the terms 'Meta' and 'OOC' gets old when necromancers constantly spread the knowledge through their unsubtle, incessant acts to the non necromancer population base. A lot of people were involved or followed the Book storyline. I'm sure the cleric guild has done a reasonably good job keeping the peasant population ignorant of the specifics of necromancy but you can be sure that does not extend very far to anyone with real power (the nobility) and especially not to the Adventurer class. Sometimes I get the feeling that necromancer players think we should all have no memories and instantly forget every evil or questoinable act our characters have seen or experienced.

>re: hunters being seduced to necromancy
To hunt a thing you must know it. Any good hunter stalks his prey; learns where it eats, sleeps, drinks and where it feels safe. If the hunter becomes what they're hunting, deep down inside they were that thing all along.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/07/2015 12:17 PM CDT

Im not saying adventurers shouldn't know necromancy when they see it. Im saying an adventurer should not go prove your not a necromancer by summoning a familiar or casting a signature spell. Catch them in the act, sure. Relying on mechanical differences between a player necro and a gmnpc necro though limits what could be a more played upon cat and mouse game.

Doesn't matter to me though in the end, I enjoyed my experience. Just could have been better perhaps.
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/07/2015 12:47 PM CDT
>>It's pretty easy to know necromancy when you see it in all it's gruesome forms practiced openly and brazenly.

According to the lore, The Hounds would kill an entire village because a guy maybe read a book. IMO, it wouldn't be unreasonable for people going "Oh, yeah, I know all the signs of Necromancy because I've seen it a ton" to also be seen as a dangerous threat.

>>To hunt a thing you must know it. Any good hunter stalks his prey; learns where it eats, sleeps, drinks and where it feels safe. If the hunter becomes what they're hunting, deep down inside they were that thing all along.

That's a great philosophy, but The Temple disagrees. The threat of more people being allured by Necromancy and the continued existence of the knowledge "for research purposes" is more dangerous than the "good" applications of that knowledge.

Re: My outing, without my name! 09/07/2015 01:53 PM CDT
I will take a stab (heh) at explaining.

Summoning a familiar proves nothing. Velmix and Veyne, infamous Necrolords, both had "familiars." Necromancers have done all kinds of crazy stuff that looked like guild abilities in the past. How would a Risen that resembles a summoned aether spirit be remotely difficult for a Necromancer of enough skill? Necromancers aren't a monolithic organization either, and what different cults might be capable of is frankly a mystery to your PC, especially if you don't know what someone's affiliation is -- all PCs starting as Book's students is also OOC knowledge after all. Add onto that, how does your PC know that some Necromancers can't continue to summon actual familiars? Where is that knowledge coming from?

So to a point, yes, making the assertion "he summoned a familiar, he can't be a Necromancer" on the basis of your knowledge that a PC Necromancer is mechanically incapable of doing so is a little metagamey since that's something your character could not be certain of, particularly if they as you say have so much experience dealing with other Necromancers in the past who have done that exact thing. The line is blurry because it's fair to say that's pretty good evidence that someone probably isn't, but there truly is no way to be certain and a thousand reasons to believe it's possible he's faking it. So that's not really actually great proof, when it comes down to it, even though we're treating it like it is because mechanically it is. Does that help to clarify the position?

And yes, it would be hilarious/awesome to see people get Hounded for trumpeting on the gweth about how much they know about necromancy, regardless of whether or not they're purporting to hunt it. There are a couple of people in particular that like to be wordy about it.

Thayet
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/07/2015 02:59 PM CDT

<<I'm sure the cleric guild has done a reasonably good job keeping the peasant population ignorant of the specifics of necromancy but you can be sure that does not extend very far to anyone with real power (the nobility) and especially not to the Adventurer class. Sometimes I get the feeling that necromancer players think we should all have no memories and instantly forget every evil or questoinable act our characters have seen or experienced.>>

Well, that varies. I mean, my character was born in 402, she hasn't seen or experienced much yet. And I get the feeling that it would be more rewarding to let it play out naturally versus listening to some random moonie or warmie listing off Necrofacts they 'heard somewhere'.
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/07/2015 03:33 PM CDT

>>And yes, it would be hilarious/awesome to see people get Hounded for trumpeting on the gweth about how much they know about necromancy, regardless of whether or not they're purporting to hunt it.

This does occasionally happen.

-Persida
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/07/2015 04:33 PM CDT
>>Thayet: So to a point, yes, making the assertion "he summoned a familiar, he can't be a Necromancer" on the basis of your knowledge that a PC Necromancer is mechanically incapable of doing so is a little metagamey since that's something your character could not be certain of, particularly if they as you say have so much experience dealing with other Necromancers in the past who have done that exact thing.

Add to that the fact that other guilds are perfectly capable of practicing necromancy, since necromancy is defined as a specific type of sorcery (the kind that involves a mixture of life mana with lunar and/or elemental mana), and not just animating corpses. Currently, other guilds can cast non-signature Necromancer spells and, in the future, they will be able to use Lay Necromancy.

So it does seem a little bizarre to assume that someone can't be a necromancer because he summoned a familiar or, on the flip-side, to give that Warrior Mage who just cast Obfuscation a pass because "he is not a Necromancer" even though he is using necromancy right in front of you.

Re: My outing, without my name! 09/07/2015 05:32 PM CDT
>>give that Warrior Mage who just cast Obfuscation a pass because "he is not a Necromancer" even though he is using necromancy right in front of you.

Is Necromancy still defined as Life + Anything in 3.0? Because that would make Feral Magic (which wasn't "possible" in 2.0) Necromantic too, right?

I know that Animation and Transcendent spells are Necromancy, what with DO and all. But are the other books [generally] just Sorcery that just happens to be used by Philosophers?

Otherwise, it's a bit interesting that there's "Necromancy" and "Extra Bad Necromancy" as opposed to "Sorcery that happens to use Life Magic which people label as Necromancy for some reason or another" and "Necromancy"

Re: My outing, without my name! 09/07/2015 05:35 PM CDT

>Warrior Mage who just cast Obfuscation a pass because "he is not a Necromancer" even though he is using necromancy right in front of you.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but casting Obfuscation isn't 'doing necromancy', it's 'casting an arcane pattern spell'. It'd be hilarious to me if to prove they weren't a Necromancer, a Cleric cast Vigor or something.

THAYETs point about the metagameyness of a lot of what players look for with respect to Necromancers reminds me how reasonable it is in a game context to have these tells, but how unreasonable it is in an RP context. Feasibly, a Moon Mage who perceives Elemental mana clinging to a person, and see's that person casting Fireball or SuF periodically, SHOULD be convinced that that person is a Warrior Mage. Maybe Necromancers should get an ability of somesort that through what amounts to making a Risen or using some psychic shinnanigans, they can emulate in some way/shape/form a companion, a familiar, or a prediction. Not because Necromancers need more methods to blend in, with the obvious reminder that if someone is looking that close the gig is up, but because PLAYERS seem really intent on metagaming instead of RPing out the detection side of things.

I'm all for the Theren Guard standing against Necromancy - their test for it is pretty silly given what Necromancers historically are capable of or came from.
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/07/2015 05:50 PM CDT
>> Because that would make Feral Magic (which wasn't "possible" in 2.0) Necromantic too, right?

Feral Magic trips all the sensors, even if it is not something you'd typically associate with necromancy, it's basically table-flipping the universe. In 3.0 speak, Voidspell is an example of a Feral spell. And so would what the Hunger did when Vorclaf died (which were shockingly similar things, mind you).

>>I know that Animation and Transcendent spells are Necromancy, what with DO and all. But are the other books [generally] just Sorcery that just happens to be used by Philosophers?

It's different applications of necromancy, just not applications that give the gods instant heartburn.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/07/2015 06:54 PM CDT
>>Jhaliascleric: Correct me if I'm wrong, but casting Obfuscation isn't 'doing necromancy', it's 'casting an arcane pattern spell'. It'd be hilarious to me if to prove they weren't a Necromancer, a Cleric cast Vigor or something.

It's "doing necromancy" in the sense that you are casting a spell that is defined as necromancy. (What Necromancers see as arcane mana isn't really a distinct type of mana. It's a perceptual distortion that results from their flawed method of attuning to three frequencies of mana at once.)

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Post:Questions_about_mixing_mana_types._-_11/10/2009_-_20:07:32

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Post:Consent_and_Accuse_-_4/8/2011_-_17:57:34

Re: My outing, without my name! 09/07/2015 07:04 PM CDT
>Well, that varies. I mean, my character was born in 402, she hasn't seen or experienced much yet. And I get the feeling that it would be more rewarding to let it play out naturally versus listening to some random moonie or warmie listing off Necrofacts they 'heard somewhere'.

Your character being born in 402 should make the paranoia/fear of necromancy more intense, not less. It would be like being born in western Europe 8 years after WW2, if The Walking Dead also took place in WW2. There would be burial mounds, mass graves everywhere you went. Unless you were raised by wolves, I don't see how it would be possible to not know the details of the apocalypse and those responsible for it, intimately.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: My outing, without my name! 09/07/2015 07:43 PM CDT
>>I don't see how it would be possible to not know the details of the apocalypse and those responsible for it, intimately.

You'd know that Necromancy is bad and that Lyras was "The Worst" but you wouldn't know intimate (/mechanical) details about Necromancy.

A similarity would be your average person knowing that nuclear bombs are bad, but not having notable knowledge relating to how to make one, the signs that one is being made, etc. And, if they did know those things, they'd be sure to not tell anyone because that would most likely get them labeled as someone trying to make nukes, as well, which would result in them and everyone they know being hurled into the sun.

Re: My outing, without my name! 09/07/2015 07:44 PM CDT

<<Your character being born in 402 should make the paranoia/fear of necromancy more intense, not less. It would be like being born in western Europe 8 years after WW2, if The Walking Dead also took place in WW2. There would be burial mounds, mass graves everywhere you went. Unless you were raised by wolves, I don't see how it would be possible to not know the details of the apocalypse and those responsible for it, intimately. >>

Eight years is a lot of time, and I'd venture to guess that she wasn't forming memories for at least a couple years after that either. Compound that with people trying to move on and a sheltered childhood heavily influenced by the Temple (which seems to be pretty staunchly against educating people on Necros) and I don't find it unreasonable to think that she'd have little actual knowledge beyond 'scary stories' and the popular notion 'Necromancy Is Really Bad News'.

There's a wide gulf between 'I know the Necromancer spellbooks by heart' and 'Necromancer? What's that? Teehee'.
Prev_page Previous 1