1 2 4 Next Next_page
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/07/2011 06:43 AM CDT
<<Finishing my degree work, moving across country, and settling into my new life as a serial killer.

Five bucks says he's not lying.

-Evran

The first slayer of Malik, may he not rest in peace.
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/07/2011 08:08 AM CDT
>>DARTHIEL: So, if there's even a hint of inconvenience in my story, mine is relegated to... IDK, paranoid rantings? Psychosis? I hope never to be that intrusive to other players!

>RAIST: What?

I was using the capitalize "Story" to mean the game mechanics and the shared lore created by GMs, and using the lower case "story" to mean personal roleplay decision. If the personal decisions clash with the shared lore, the personal decisions must lose, and be adapted to fit the larger "Story". I hope never to be one who refuses to do that, and thus negatively affects the overall environment.

As I was going to bed last night, I thought about how well 'ignoring' clashing RPs would work. My conclusion: with great difficulty. I could ignore someone, but guaranteed others would not, so I would burdened with having to ignore or explain away their reactions, too, and so on... the ripple effect of a single jarring roleplay could potentially muck things up pretty bad.

But, then, I think there's some sort of inertial dampener inherent in the system, and everyone would just settle back into scripting and chatting like always pretty quickly. :D

I am fairly content with the GMs' input on this matter, and wish Armifer well in his new career. (Two words: duct tape.)
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/07/2011 02:32 PM CDT
one of the things we can do, however, is, even though we cannot present as an actual bone elf, dragonpriest, etc. We can still exhibit personal ties, although no official capacity, to these organizations.

For instance, my character is RPed as a descendant of dragonpriests. Not that she is an actual dragonpriest. However, she has studied whatever information she can find on them. I know as a player she will never be an actual part of the organization, but I've found similar rituals which can be RPed out with existing mechanics.

And she knows she will never "get in" the actual organization, nor does she wish to, as she believes, as do the majority of the philosophers, that they have gone too far in the line of the perserve. However, she is a bit uncomfortable with the majority of the philosophers - as they are a bit too "human"- oriented. The leadership and the majority of the characters she has met in the upper enchelons have all been "smoothskins". Perhaps that will change when more of the guildhalls come out and she can find a "role-model" that looks more like her. :-)

As for the other poster, RPing as if you aren't really a necromancer is more than self-denial. For instance, my character has no idea that the one in the study may be an arisen of Books. From what she has experienced, she met and talked to Zamidren Book as a commoner before the guild came out, and had conversations with him in regard to his published works, and she doesn't see any difference in the character that she goes to for promotions.

How Shattering chooses to deny it to the uninitiated, if they are coming after you to burn you to the stake, claim whatever you like if it will keep you alive and able to escape to continue your own journey towards the Great Work.
Although there IS room for this at the beginning.

While you are still unforsaken, you may see yourself as possibly just "out of sync" somehow. Once the gods strike you down though, you should have no more illusions as to what you are. And your place under their squishing thumbs.

<as for Velmix, my original necro characters did actually get a task from him while still a commoner years ago. It never bore fruit though. Alas. :-)>
1 2 4 Next Next_page