Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/01/2011 07:33 AM CDT
I agree with Darthiel that there's no good unilateral reason why we can't choose to be social with one another, but it's not like every member of every guild acknowledges every other member of their guild... Granted they don't have our level of paranoia, but still, not everyone feels or chooses to feel a kinship to al of their guildmates. Or maybe they're just RPing whatever personality type that makes them that way... Aside from that, I think people probably have very different priorities in that some people are focused on the endgame, when/whatever they think it will be, while some are focused on surviving the here and now, which is basically just about catching up with the other guilds' skill levels and making themselves more formidable. Or they're focused on making musk hog zombies with which to bother people.

I guess my point is if I want to meet people, then I try to meet people, but I don't expect that everyone will want to meet me. If they don't, they must not be my people.

-- Unless you've never died in Elanthia, you are undead. --
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/02/2011 04:38 PM CDT
Nor does every member of the "Guild" consider himself a member. Shatteringwave, for instance, doesn't consider himself a "Necromancer".
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/02/2011 08:53 PM CDT
I'm not sure how you RP that one...
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/02/2011 09:01 PM CDT
My character not believing he is a necromancer?
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/04/2011 03:18 PM CDT
So when he (it is a he right) talks to Book for advancement or whatever (magic or what not), you just pretend it never happened?
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/05/2011 12:08 AM CDT
The mechanics of guild advancement need not necessarily be a part of your RP, especially when no one else can actually see it happen. If you make or have an item altered, could you RP that someone of significance (who doesn't actually exist in game) gave it to you? The same theory applies here.

Pretend it didn't happen? At the very core of it and from a player perspective, yes, exactly that, but everything in the game is imaginary at the end of the day. I don't personally see this as a problem.

He feels he is permitted access to the "guild" because he has useful knowledge (including that of necromancy), or possibly just because he is hunted by the temple. His knowledge, however, according to his back story, comes from elsewhere. He was coerced into acquiring the ability to perceive arcane mana. His views don't fit the average perverse, but aren't consistent with the Philosophers either. He has come to believe that his "misfortune", however, is a blessing in disguise. He, like the temple and most non-necs, believes the undead are abominations (despite their usefulness) and he tries to use them sparingly for that reason. His "Great Work" if such applies to him, involves more spontaneous generation of material and the creation of life than reanimation or even preservation. As such, he focuses far more on the creation of constructs than the undead. He IS chasing eternity but even in this regard has enormous philosophical differences from other necs. He sees little use for combat and generally tries to avoid it, believing that achieving immortality will require the assistance of others and will likely require a large number of non-necs.

Ultimately, it is the philosophical breech that causes him not to consider himself a necromancer. A necromancer, as he chooses to define it, has requirements which don't fit his definition of himself. ICly, necromancers are not well-defined. Shatteringwave often asks the people hunting him what defines him as a necromancer. Very few have given him any kind of effective answer.
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/05/2011 06:50 AM CDT
Sounds like he makes a much better, and more unique, Philosopher then I originally thought. Pity about the name though, heh.
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/05/2011 09:50 AM CDT
The name (alias) has a story too. His "real" name is Movidar.
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/05/2011 01:36 PM CDT
Just a personal pet peeve of mine. Pay no attention. But I am serious about being a unique Philosopher. I look forward to us getting to RP sometime.
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/05/2011 05:47 PM CDT
Philosophically, it seems to me like you're approaching a category of Postmodern Skepticism. A lot of game mechanics need to be explained away in order to play a "necromancer who does not believe he's a Necromancer'. The contradiction is self-evident.

The whole of other Necromancers -- using a higher standard for 'shared' knowledge -- will surely only see your character as delusional. Everyone else sees Necros as delusional anyway. Non-necro players really should not engage you in discourse about it, either. "Extreme prejudice" is the order of the day when dealing with Necromancers. I think you're jamming their circuits by trying to rationalize with them. Perhaps "talk as roleplay" is too ingrained.

It's a game, and you can play how you want, but I think you're describing a character in denial and nothing more.
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/05/2011 06:38 PM CDT
The difference is more semantic than anything else. He defines what a necromancer is along terms that don't happen to include him. Your character, the temple, and most (all?) of the rest of the game define it differently. That said, no one has offered a definition solid and respectable enough to change his mind. Most characters, when asked, can't really offer a good set of "properties" that define a necromancer, they merely tell him he is one.

Further, from a player perspective, you know that I need to do the same things in terms of circling and whatnot that you do. Your character, however, doesn't really know what any other character's interactions with Book( 's risen ) or other NPCs in the guild happens to be. You can only even see my character in the commons. As such, I really need to explain very little of the mechanics away. If, for instance, learning to use risen later requires a necromancer vent a poison gas into a crowded restaurant for the purposes of study (something that Shatter would find a distasteful waste of potential labor for the eternity to come), not only is there no reason my research would need to be the same as yours ICly, it wouldn't even make sense if every PC necromancer hit up the same restaurant and killed a large group of people. From the player standpoint, it might make sense for a necromancer to do and make a good quest, but ICly, people would recognize that it's the third time the establishment was gassed this week and stop going there.

Even beyond all that, using smile and act and such, I could feasibly make Shatter do things that don't have the backing of game mechanics (such as animating a large number of carving beads and having them kill one another). I imagine I could even claim Shatter knows some spells that don't rightly exist and display them, provided they don't need combat or show mechanics (i.e. animating a large number of carving beads or causing a sprouting flower to grow, then wilt and die as a result of the spell). The only difficult spot I think I might run into would involve learning rituals as they don't fall perfectly in line with his back story.
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/05/2011 11:59 PM CDT
That's definitely textbook Skepticism. Your post is very well reasoned within that perspective. I'd like to give a philosophical reply (while recognizing you have the right to choice), but first would like to know one thing:

Do you (the player) believe your character is a Necromancer?
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 12:57 AM CDT
Lol of course.
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 08:40 AM CDT
I could be wrong about this, but I've been told that smile/act are not meant to do things your player cannot do IG. My cleric cannot for example:
Smiles as Meraud himself appears in front of him and shakes his hand warmly.
Because there is no IG context for this to occur. If you are smile/acting in a manner to enhance your repertoire of actions as it pertains to facial tics, postures, hand gestures, etc, I think that's what the verb was intended for. If you're doing something completely outside the feasibility of what your character is about, I think you're misusing the command.

Personally, what you've described is, as I see it, a Philosopher who simply hasn't figured out what his Great Work is, and who has decided that some of the tools available to him and the other Philosophers aren't tools he wants to use. But claiming you're not a Necromancer doesn't seem particularly well thought out here; changing your animation 'creation of life' from 'animating corpses' is a nuance I suspect requires a good deal of handwaving.
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 08:43 AM CDT
>>I could be wrong about this, but I've been told that smile/act are not meant to do things your player cannot do IG.

This has always been my impression as well.
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 09:26 AM CDT
Yeah... while still not technically IC, it's one thing to just have your character presented as if he doesn't actually circle from the guild leaders (or whatever) or be recruited by Book, and it's another thing entirely to claim your character has powers well beyond the realm of what your character should legitimately have.

It's the difference between claiming that your character didn't ICly start at one of the two predetermined starting locations ("I've never been outside of Qi in my life!") and claiming that you come from somewhere completely fantastical ("I AM FROM GRAZIR!")
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 09:53 AM CDT
perhaps some of the problem here is that, being the "new" guild, we still haven't been given the fully developed picture. Some of the mysteries of the guild are still out there, and until there are IC means of finding out for ourselves, some of the RP is still going to end up being "out there", or eventually "wrong".

Just as, before people were given out racial information they were able to present s'kra and togs having human kids or only 7 races in existence, etc.

Now, as an example, we have had contradictory information out there as well as misleading information. Historical necromancers who have been out there before the advent of the philosophers have all been of the perverse variety. There were GM posts stating that after a certain point, redemption would be impossible. Yet, in-game, there were the Moon Mage visions of the old man confronting Lyras - who certainly under the scope of being a Lich - would not qualify for redemption. Yet the vision had her rejecting that option. <the one where he states "your descent was unusual", etc.

When the necromancer guild has been out for a bit longer, and we have more information <i.e. an in-game library> perhaps it will become clearer, although there will always be a certain amount of self-delusion evident among the philosophers as a whole. How can a mortal expect to stand up against a god? Like in ghostbusters. "If someone asks you if you are a god..." :-)
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 10:12 AM CDT
>>There were GM posts stating that after a certain point, redemption would be impossible. Yet, in-game, there were the Moon Mage visions of the old man confronting Lyras - who certainly under the scope of being a Lich - would not qualify for redemption.

I feel that it is worth pointing out that a character can ICly want redemption while the player OOCly acknowledges that it wouldn't happen for a variety of reasons, be they game mechanics or just the fact that they don't want their character to "win" in a situation.

>>Yet, in-game, there were the Moon Mage visions of the old man confronting Lyras - who certainly under the scope of being a Lich - would not qualify for redemption.

That's a rather big leap, and depends on what would count as "redemption."

Mechanically, a player whose character chooses to be a Lich can not become Redeemed.

Lore-wise, maybe the Immortals will always gladly "fix" someone who is willing to have themselves stripped of the power that could topple them if that person chooses to do so. I would find it odd if the Immortals were all "no no no, we won't do what we can to restore your soul, please continue on your quest to ravage the world into a hellscape that is offense to all that we hold dear." It's like one of those NYPD gun buyback programs deciding that they won't take bazookas and instead telling the person to take it home and hold onto it a bit longer.

>>there will always be a certain amount of self-delusion evident among the philosophers as a whole

That has nothing to do with the topic at hand, though. "I use the smile and act verbs to summon hordes of wooden beads that fight each other for my amusement and then I make it rain blood and then I cast a spell that gives me skeletal wings and I fly into the sunset screaming obscenities at the Immortals themselves" is a problem with how someone RPs well beyond "the guild needs more lore." The problem stems from someone deciding that their character has powers that they just don't have, period.

It's the same as claiming your Elf is a Drow. Do we need IC/OOC lore to point out that Drows don't exist in DR, just like Tieflings don't either?
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 11:03 AM CDT
hey, skeletal wings actually exist :

<<You tap some skeletal wings of bone-white ironwood shrouded in tattered cobwebs that you are wearing.>>

bought em at a merchant that showed up in crossing after the fest.

just can't fly with 'em. claiming you can would be too seriously delustional, and like armifer posted someone that goes skywize nevada after their attunement would likely end up being used for spare parts.

as far as claiming to fashion constructs out of beads? not now possible. although possibly in the future we might be able to fashion, or carve? them out of more than one <or two> types of material. Being as we have a technique from the carving discipline, maybe?
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 11:16 AM CDT
>>hey, skeletal wings actually exist

Not as a Transcendental spell that actually creates functional deathdoomwings.

>>claiming you can would be too seriously delustional, and like armifer posted someone that goes skywize nevada after their attunement would likely end up being used for spare parts.

Claiming != using the smile/act verb to literally do those things.

Want to claim that you can turn into a lich dragon that can eat Book's face? Go for it! Want to use the smile/act verb to show you can actually do it? Super bad idea.

>>as far as claiming to fashion constructs out of beads? not now possible. although possibly in the future we might be able to fashion, or carve? them out of more than one <or two> types of material. Being as we have a technique from the carving discipline, maybe?

Is it that hard to just not make up what Philosopher-Necromancers can do?

If you currently can't do something, just don't do it. It's that simple. If you want your Necromancer to be a master poisoner, RP your character as having a strong interest in it right now as opposed to walking around doing "smile as he pours poison into the river, killing puppies everywhere." Once you can actually make poisons, you can have some character development where your character can finally do something that was previously just an aspiration, as opposed to just having the game finally catch up to you mechanically.
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 01:57 PM CDT
PB seriously. Logic just isn't going to work here. You know this.
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 04:13 PM CDT
>If you currently can't do something, just don't do it. It's that simple.

There's a part of me that wants to say that, if it's kept to reasonable cantripish level powers (see boggle creation), it's not terribly offensive.

In a perfect world there would be better mechanical support for fun little powers like that, but since there isn't, it doesn't seem too hideous.

The major problem with it is that it relies pretty heavily upon individual opinions and common sense, which is often times sorely lacking (I'm a poster child).

Perhaps said person should investigate whether or not the Premium SIGNATURE verb might be able to give you something to play with.

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Combat Balance Sheet:
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/balance2.xls
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 04:24 PM CDT
personally, I see considerable differences between causing animating beads (when necromancers can animate dirt anyhow) and "transforming yourself into a lich dragon that can eat book's face". Animating beads which subsequently "die" at the end of the verb command I don't personally see an egregious breach of personal ability, certainly no more than some of the feats of athletics I've seen done with the commands. There is precedent for necromancers (though not the PC selection as of the present, dirt constructs aside) animating that nature of object. It really wouldn't do anything but lend credence to the way I play the character. If it's a breach of policy, that's all that really needs to be said, but it's a far cry from some of the hyperbole and/or slippery slope arguments made in earlier posts.
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 04:24 PM CDT
But again, the mechanics of saying "My character isn't a Necromancer because he doesn't animate corpses, he animates beads, look!" and then pointing to SMILES as he concentrates upon a cluster of wooden beads, which click together to form a small boggle! as your proof, or motivation, or IC ethos, is, I would say, an incorrect use of the verb.

Besides, there exist in game the mechanics to produce natural material boggles; it's not available to Necromancers, so don't try and RP it. My Barbarian isn't going to RP waggling his fingers and make magic happen, and a Necromancer shouldn't smile and make boggles happen. There's no precedent for it.

I'm pretty iffy on the idea of even saying "I don't advance from Zamidren Book" as your RP for why you aren't a Philosopher. You do. Every circle. Mechanically. If your character is in denial about being a Philosopher, at least claim that you are simply using Book to your own purposes; don't say "Well he's crazy so doesn't believe he's actually speaking to Book every time he circles". It's lazy. It's akin to me saying "My Cleric doesn't believe in the Immortals, magical space comets actually power his spells"
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 04:26 PM CDT
Lol, my character is a necromancer. I RP him as believing otherwise. There's a difference here.
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 04:35 PM CDT
Yes, and I'm trying to tell you that I find that to be a strange distinction, given A) You see Arcane mana B) you advance in your guild via speaking to a well known Necromancer and C) you are told by this well known Necromancer that you should avoid the path of Perversity that Necromancers are prone to falling down.

Simply put, the mental and technical gymnastics required to believe this are, in my opinion, outside of the realm of reasonable.
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 04:43 PM CDT
>>personally, I see considerable differences between causing animating beads (when necromancers can animate dirt anyhow) and "transforming yourself into a lich dragon that can eat book's face". Animating beads which subsequently "die" at the end of the verb command I don't personally see an egregious breach of personal ability, certainly no more than some of the feats of athletics I've seen done with the commands.

There really isn't. They're both fantastical things that can't be accomplished under any conditions.

>>There is precedent for necromancers (though not the PC selection as of the present, dirt constructs aside) animating that nature of object.

You're right. But your character still doesn't know how to do that.

>>It really wouldn't do anything but lend credence to the way I play the character.

That's part of the problem. You're using actions your character can't logically do to show your character is acting a certain way.

It would be one thing if you used the ACT and SMILE verbs so your character could quickly animate dirt using blood magic, but it's another thing entirely to animate wood, since there is nothing that implies a Philosopher/Necromancer trained under Book would be able to do so.

>>Lol, my character is a necromancer. I RP him as believing otherwise. There's a difference here.

While there's nothing wrong with having a character in gross denial, you're doing "more" than just having him in denial, especially if he's animating things that he was never taught to animate.
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 04:48 PM CDT
>>Simply put, the mental and technical gymnastics required to believe this are, in my opinion, outside of the realm of reasonable.

I'd actually disagree there. You COULD have a character be absolutely demented to the point where none of that stuff clicks, but at the same time it's different than having your character in denial and supporting that denial with things that Philosophers literally can't do.

It's the difference between going "I'm not a Necromancer I'm a Cleric!" and then creating a zombie to prove how Cleric-like you are, and going "I'm not a Necromancer I'm a Cleric!" and then using the smile verb to pray a favor orb into existence.
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 04:54 PM CDT
Part of that is the fact that you're mixing player knowledge and mechanics with IC knowledge. Shatter would tell you that he has never "circled" (combat maneuver excluded), that he has never spoken with Book in person (which happens to be true even from a player perspective based upon the information we've received), that he holds no rank within the guild beyond "barely (and not always) tolerated visitor", and that all his knowledge of the dark arts comes from elsewhere.

Is it different? Yes. Strange? Probably. Out of bound? Eh, I don't think.
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 05:01 PM CDT
But you speak with Book every time you circle, and you certainly spoke with Book when you joined. So, unless your conveniently delusional in addition to requiring weird game mechanics to prove your position, I'm not sure it is really within bounds.

Furthermore, I recall an exchange with a GM once where I inquired whether or not my Moon mage could treat IoE as though it was channeling spirits of the dead to impart powers, which I felt thematically fit given that my Moon mage is a Nomad. I was told that you could believe whatever you wanted, but that it wasn't really in the vein of the mechanism of the spell, that by learning the spell, you learned how it worked and what fueled it. Believing spirits are what powered it would be akin to looking at a fulcrum and thinking zebra, to clash two metaphors in an effort to demonstrate how weird I think what your claiming is.
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 05:08 PM CDT
And for the characters that leap tall togs in bound, sprint from the Segolthia to the Faldesu and back in a fraction of second, throw hot coal without burning their unarmored hands, shoot bows 3 rooms away with pinpoint accuracy despite having no bow skill whatsoever, perform brawling attacks on other characters they couldn't hope to make contact with (that one probably is a violation, as you're causing another character to "do" something), hand out thousands and thousands of plats (funny, but probably also against policy), punch holes in trees/stone walls, stab themselves in the foot by accident (without a wound), swim unswimmable waters (specifically diving off a ship on it's way to ratha, keeping up with the ship itself for a while, then climbing back on board), climb unclimbable objects, throw boulders and other such things that are well beyond the realm of a character's physical ability, these items get the same advice?
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 05:18 PM CDT
>>But you speak with Book every time you circle, and you certainly spoke with Book when you joined. So, unless your conveniently delusional in addition to requiring weird game mechanics to prove your position, I'm not sure it is really within bounds.

Exactly what I mean here, not only are these pure mechanics (warranted, nicely wrapped), but there is no evidence they ever happened. The player-level knowledge that the program object that is my character needed to interact with the program object that is the room where Book's risen is and type one of a finite selection of characters into what I assume is standard textbox followed by the "enter" key in order to increase what I'd guess is the value of the property we know as "circle" is not synonymous with your character's knowledge (hopefully).
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 05:18 PM CDT
Whoa, I'm not sure what you're talking about with 99% of that run on sentence.

Are you suggesting that because there are examples of weird mechanics in the game, that any mechanics manipulation are justified? Because that's pretty silly.

E.g., yes, I find it silly that I can throw a hammer at something at missile range, and then pick up the hammer and do it again. Does that mean I should be allowed to use mechanics to make things happen that aren't really happening in an effort to explain my characters unconventional RP stance? No. It doesn't.
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 05:27 PM CDT
Further, the purely mechanical need not have actually happened, particularly if no evidence of it exists.

If you get an item (lets say a ring) altered, you could very well RP that some important and now deceased member of the family gave it your character/left it to the character. The altered item need not (and probably shouldn't) be "an object called "a bronze ring" I to a GM Merchant who made an object called "a large damite lump" cease to exist and changed the description to "a thick damite ring engraved with the head of a dragon". The same logic applies here.
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 05:33 PM CDT
Not sure a list is technically a run-on but I could be wrong. Not all long sentences are run-ons. The contents of your backpack, for instance, is a single, grammatically correct sentence. The following:

"I shot an arrow and it hit its target and the target died and then I searched it and it had a gold nugget and I took it."

is a run-on. The number of words in a sentence has little to do with whether or not it's a run-on.
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 05:35 PM CDT
I think there are plenty ways to go about doing the things you're doing without ignoring IG mechanical realities.

>>Shatter would tell you that he has never "circled"

It would probably be better for Shatter to say something like "Oh, I've spoken with Book, and he says that if I was part of his group I'd be advancing quite well" than say he's never even met the guy.

And why claim you never met him? It's just a bizarre thing to try and RP your character around.

>>that he holds no rank within the guild beyond "barely (and not always) tolerated visitor", and that all his knowledge of the dark arts comes from elsewhere.

It would be easier to disavow the idea of ranking in the interests of... your personal stance on something and embracing humility or something.

As a whole, it's just such a very bizarre thing to claim. And it's not just due to the particular guild. I'd be just as surprised if a Paladin was saying that they aren't a Paladin but instead a Holy Warrior from Albaria and they've never even set foot in a Paladin's Guild before.

If your character profile has plot holes so wide you can drive a truck through them, I think it would be worth reevaluating what you're doing. I'm no RPologist or master of it to begin with, but it feels like you have some valid ideas that just need to have a bit more plausibility put into them.
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 05:35 PM CDT
Yes, you can make up a story for how something came to be surrounding the creation of said altered ring, but the point remains you are making a story ABOUT THE RING. In order to circle, you go speak with Book. I'm not sure how you can pretend that doesn't happen unless you're selectively delusional.

But still, your argument hinges on the notion that 'some odd mechanics exist in game' ergo, 'I can use whatever mechanics manipulation I want to make my belief system occur', which is sort of odd.
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 05:49 PM CDT
>>But still, your argument hinges on the notion that 'some odd mechanics exist in game' ergo, 'I can use whatever mechanics manipulation I want to make my belief system occur', which is sort of odd.

Also, to me it seems that the problem is less denying that something did happen (talking to Book) and more making all this logic to prove something didn't happen on top of all these steps to make something completely implausible happen.

Personally, you'd be better off thinking of different ways to explain advancement in the guild than outright denying that it happens. Say that Book does talk about how you've earned promotions, and while you dislike the idea of getting recognition like that Book insists that he notes your progress. Say that P would beat you with a shovel if you don't report in, and that you begrudgingly do so in order to maintain your low profile. Say that you're the apprentice of another Philosopher, and that she wants you to relay information to Book and stay on his good side while doing so, which involves graciously accepting his accolades whenever Book is in the mood to present them.

Those are all just as made up, but a lot more plausible than "it never happens ever."
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 05:55 PM CDT
>>But still, your argument hinges on the notion that 'some odd mechanics exist in game' ergo, 'I can use whatever mechanics manipulation I want to make my belief system occur', which is sort of odd.

I believe the technical term for this is hyperbole or a misunderstanding of concept. Making a story about the ring is not that much different than making a story about the character's knowledge-base. Making the ring required a level of mechanics, all of which can be utterly ignored. Circle mechanics can be equally ignored, particularly when no one can say blunt your RP by tossing out a log quote showing you gaining a circle.

For the record, my character never HAS met Book and yours likely hasn't either. As I recall the "Zamidren Book" in the guild is a "carefully constructed risen" and "sufficient information exists around the guild for a character to figure that out".

As for toying with open-ended commands, my opinion is very much in line with Caraamon's player, but that is really a distant aside. The main portion of the argument does not hinge on it whatsoever.
Re: Interactions with our own kind 06/06/2011 06:14 PM CDT
>>Circle mechanics can be equally ignored

No, they really can't.

If you want to learn spells from Book, learn Rituals from Book, and gain levels from Book, then, for the sake of your RP, do something different than claim you've never circle/learned spells/learned rituals from Book.

If you want to say you never circled with Book, don't circle with Book.

>>For the record, my character never HAS met Book and yours likely hasn't either. As I recall the "Zamidren Book" in the guild is a "carefully constructed risen" and "sufficient information exists around the guild for a character to figure that out".

Which has nothing to do with anything, anyway.

Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with playing around with your character's storyline and doing what you can to explain away mechanical restrictions. But there's a huge huge huge difference between some creative storytelling and just ignoring what is happening in the game. Plenty of people do it, including me. But if you keep coming across people telling you that your story is implausible and has too many holes in it/problems with it, it might be worth reexamining it to see how to patch up those issues.