Prev_page Previous 1
The Food of the Gods 01/28/2013 03:20 PM CST
I must start by saying I spent a marvelous week reading the Ideology Folders. In general, the discussions have been deep (even when humorous) and driven more by the honest desire to share ideas, knowledge and doubts than to show off a person's gigantic intellect (at least in the person's own estimation).

One of the commentaries from months ago mentioned that we were food for the gods, and I loved the simplicity and yet commanding power of the image. If we (or at least our souls) are food for the gods, the gods indeed must be worried of what a world of necromancers would mean for them: starvation. The end?

The Clerics not only support the gods by cultivating, pruning and collecting part of their own and their fellow adventurers souls (in the form of favors) but the act of resurrection they do (which costs favors) is made, knowingly or unknowingly, as a cultivator that, after gathering a tree's fruit, takes care to ensure it's survival in order to collect more fruit from it in the future. The commoners, who as a rule get to live and die but once, and the favorless, are sent to be burned as the last and only way of getting something from them. The horror of such a destiny is also great propaganda in sending the adventurers to gather and save favors, fearing such utter oblivion. The clerics, I imagine, believe that the walk of the starry road is the final embrace of the gods and their creatures.

Necromancers are bad, but I gather that, at least of part of our own madness, some do not see themselves as being bad. Yes, we will destroy countless masses in our search from freedom from the divine food chain, but we think that it will insure the freedom of the future generations, or at least our own personal freedom from that fate. Maybe our magic and practices are like those of some grubs that feed on poisonous leaves so as to accumulate enough poison or such unpleasant taste as to make them unpalatable to the birds that usually feed on them. Perhaps we can actually destroy or corrupt the god-sustaining properties of our souls so as to make them unfit for godly consumption.

But then, maybe I am just mad.
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/28/2013 06:50 PM CST
>but the act of resurrection they do (which costs favors)

Nope, player-rezz costs no favors.

The rest is lore wandering, so I can't comment on it. Didn't want you to think a 'simutronics dog' was only skimming your post.

Note: this is not a plug for Genie or Elanthipedia or Mars Bars.
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/28/2013 07:26 PM CST

If the cleric is not putting out one of his favors for the rezz, he would still be keeping the faithfull gatherer alive, and with the expectative that the adventurer will continue said practice.

Thanks for the clarification.
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/28/2013 08:55 PM CST
Ever read Hyperion/Endymion? No spoilers, but Resurrection and worship of the Immortals is akin to the Cruciform.

And, by the way;
>Not all of us are "evil", despite what your false gods might say.

False.
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/29/2013 12:42 AM CST
clarification: not every necromancer sees themself as evil - however, the reality of it is, they are.

Pretty much most other ideology of Elanthia says so.

Although to play devil's advocate, and use an Earthly analogy : , galileo was almost burned at the stake for saying that the earth orbited the sun rather than vice-versa, too. :-)

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/29/2013 01:54 AM CST
In the words of the Batman, we are defined by our actions. In the Game, all necromancers are bad.

OOC we know that the things that our necromancers do (if not our aspirations or ultimate goals) are horrible deeds. As players, that is the role we aspire to, that our characters become the thing that other's characters hate (or as we as our characters wish, fear). As players, we hope to be capable to have fun while being beaten down and keep getting up, and that the other players also have a good time beating, trying to beat or being beaten themselves by our in game characters. We as players can also learn to have fun from hiding, fleeing or/and eventually persecuting and having others flee from us.

IC/RP I guess most necromancers, at least in the beginning, do not see themselves as evil. They believe they have stumbled upon a gargantuan secret truth and that now they must do whatever they can in order to break with a cycle of death that is only in place by the wishes or designs of the immortals but which are not ultimately in the best interest of the Elanthian races. How much is self-delusion and how much is a result of faulty reason resulting from our induced madness, may vary from individual to individual. It seems, however, that the Necromancer character, as they get more powerful and feared, start reveling in the level of violence they can inflict. I have heard of necromancers fasting on their fallen enemies. I doubt that (in the majority of the occasions) this is done out of necessity to preserve the wounded Necro's life, but it is done to inflict further ignominy on our fallen enemy. This shows how, by some brilliant designed flaw of the spells, lore and atmosphere of the guild, our characters do start doing horrible things. To act, as it is intended, as evil monsters.

The fact that some may restrain themselves from such acts of extreme violence and or will seek to redeem themselves is just an an Outlet for players that decide to try stop playing monstrous characters or because the induction into the guild is not an infallible process and sometimes the madness is not permanent or the character does reaches a limit to what he or she is willing to sacrifice in pursuit of the Great Work.

But maybe I'm just mad.
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/29/2013 12:50 PM CST
>>Although to play devil's advocate, and use an Earthly analogy : , galileo was almost burned at the stake for saying that the earth orbited the sun rather than vice-versa, too. :-)

But Galileo's reasoning was to further glorify God by showing how perfect His creation was and to better understand His creation's workings in full. The Philosophers are really trying to supplant the gods through the Great Work. Love the analogy though.
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/29/2013 01:27 PM CST
>galileo was almost burned at the stake

I believe this was a myth. A dirty google showed a catholic news article refuting it and I dont date link non-Jewish faith articles, since the last time I did it started a flame war.

Re: The Food of the Gods 01/30/2013 01:30 PM CST
But in the real world, god isn't using our souls as fuel for his god-mobile (at least not as far as I know). Not all necros are out there to kill puppies and eat butterflies, some are in it to save themselves or others. Do the ends justify the means? That's a matter of opinion. But saying every necro is evil is like saying that every person that rebels against a corrupt government is evil because they break the law.
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/30/2013 01:35 PM CST
>Not all necros are out there to kill puppies and eat butterflies, some are in it to save themselves or others.

The argument though is that the process of 'saving themselves or others' may NOT be justifiable. "lets rid the world of communism, we'll invade Vietnam and save them all!" sort of comes to mind.

To keep using bad analogies; Necromancers may be like Neo and Morpheus and Trinity trying to rescue Elanthians from the Matrix, but in doing so, they have to kill a lot of people, including the immortals, and frankly, a lot of people (and the immortals!) have a pretty good setup. It's like that, a bit, except the Immortals are arguably/possibly/NOTEVENALITTLEBIT less insidious than the AIs.
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/30/2013 01:35 PM CST
>>But saying every necro is evil

Is established game lore per the people who made the guild.

Player of Ryken
---
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." ~ Doug Larson

AIM - RykenDR
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/30/2013 01:49 PM CST
>>But saying every necro is evil

>Is established game lore per the people who made the guild.

And the Immortals who write the definition of good and evil.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/30/2013 01:52 PM CST
The great thing about opinions is that we can each have our own and not be wrong. It's fine if the person that created the guild views them all as evil, but I don't have to share that opinion. Personally I think it seems a bit odd to say that all necros must be evil, given that they will be able to become Redeemed.

More fun with analogies: the Immortals are like farmers. They may or may not be evil, and maybe they're really kind to you and keep you fat and happy and genuinely care about your feelings, but if they're gonna carve you up and serve you for dinner, I imagine you don't care too much.
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/30/2013 01:53 PM CST
>>Personally I think it seems a bit odd to say that all necros must be evil, given that they will be able to become Redeemed.

What do you think that they'll be redeemed from, if not from evil?
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/30/2013 01:59 PM CST
>What do you think that they'll be redeemed from, if not from evil?

If you're redeemed from the evil, then you're not evil anymore. But you're still a necro. Therefore, not all necros are evil, which I believe was my point.
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/30/2013 02:02 PM CST
>>If you're redeemed from the evil, then you're not evil anymore. But you're still a necro. Therefore, not all necros are evil, which I believe was my point.

Ah, I see. Then do we agree that all necro's are evil until they decide to stop doing necro things?
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/30/2013 02:10 PM CST
>>More fun with analogies: the Immortals are like farmers. They may or may not be evil, and maybe they're really kind to you and keep you fat and happy and genuinely care about your feelings, but if they're gonna carve you up and serve you for dinner, I imagine you don't care too much.

Practicing worship of the Judeo-Christian God does not literally rip holes in the dimensional fabric that would allow a C'thulhu-like being to emerge onto our plane of reality and completely end existence. At least, to my knowledge it doesn't.
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/30/2013 02:13 PM CST
>The great thing about opinions is that we can each have our own and not be wrong. It's fine if the person that created the guild views them all as evil, but I don't have to share that opinion. Personally I think it seems a bit odd to say that all necros must be evil, given that they will be able to become Redeemed.

You're making a very bad arguement honestly. The guild is evil because they are declaratively so according to IG lore and actions. Yes, there is quibble room, deliberately, but if the spells and everything else in the guild do not convince you necromancers are...wrong, you're not paying attention to anything.

And you do know that 'redeemed' necromancers, in the original contextual discussions, were said to have to forgo a massive chunk of necro abilities (anything that causes DO) or return to the forsaken status, and that it was a one chance thing? And that redemption has no connotation here other than the immortals, who you are so vehemently arguing are superfluous to the discussion?

Re: The Food of the Gods 01/30/2013 02:20 PM CST
Nope, I think we just agree that it is possible for a necro to not be evil. A Redeemed necro won't be locked out of their entire spellbook either. And it's possible for a necro to not use certain spells due to moral reasons, like a MM might not use teleological sorcery.

>Practicing worship of the Judeo-Christian God does not literally rip holes in the dimensional fabric that would allow a C'thulhu-like being to emerge onto our plane of reality and completely end existence

MMs have potentially world-breaking magic too. And I'm pretty sure neither MMs or necros will end existence, because Simu wants to keep getting paid.
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/30/2013 02:25 PM CST
Am I misremembering that Redeemed would also be unable to circle? Since circling causes DO, you'd end up Forsaken again.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/30/2013 02:26 PM CST
>>MMs have potentially world-breaking magic too. And I'm pretty sure neither MMs or necros will end existence, because Simu wants to keep getting paid.

The MM world-ending magic is also a big no-no. The fact that, OOCly, of course Necromancers will never actually "destroy the world" does not negate the fact that they are destroying said world ICly.

ICly our characters cannot be 100% sure, so your Necromancer can of course make these rationalizations. But OOCly you're blowing up the world with your magic, morality is irrelevant. As a mortal that exists on the Plane of Abiding, your character OOCly has a vested interest in making sure than Plane isn't ripped from existence in favor of some state of non-existence.
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/30/2013 02:28 PM CST
I'm really curious why this pops up so periodically.

No; you cannot be a 'good necromancer' unless you take the route of being redeemed. At which point, the gyst is they're kind of not necromancers anymore. But it's been stated that once you're Redeemed, you're kind of still broken. At the very least, the temptation is always there.
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/30/2013 02:40 PM CST
I used to play the trumpet, maybe fifteen years ago, in school. I feel like I'd be really hard pressed to find anyone who'd be willing to call me a trumpet player today.

>>Nope, I think we just agree that it is possible for a necro to not be evil.

I guess we agree that someone can decide to stop practicing necromancy, but we disagree about still calling that person a necromancer.
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/30/2013 02:47 PM CST
>>Am I misremembering that Redeemed would also be unable to circle? Since circling causes DO, you'd end up Forsaken again.

That was originally discussed and thrown out. The goal would be to allow Redeemed to function nominally, but it really is still kind of a bum deal. That's the point: you don't get to be a cool Necromancer and a "good guy" at the same time. It'll be there for people that want to make the RP work, but for the majority of Necro PCs it's designed as a vehicle of condemnation by refusal. "Here's your path to being a good guy. Too expensive? Your PC must not want to be a good guy that badly."

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/30/2013 02:57 PM CST
>>I used to play the trumpet, maybe fifteen years ago, in school. I feel like I'd be really hard pressed to find anyone who'd be willing to call me a trumpet player today.

Imagine that you put your trumpet in a dress and took it to the prom.

Think you'd be hard pressed to not have that follow you around forever?

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/30/2013 03:11 PM CST
>>Imagine that you put your trumpet in a dress and took it to the prom.

>>Think you'd be hard pressed to not have that follow you around forever?

LMAO. Fair enough, if you dressed up your necromancy and took it to a prom before you renounced your evil ways then I'll still call you a necromancer, but I'm going to want to see the yearbook photos first. <G>
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/30/2013 04:28 PM CST
People are welcome to their opinions, but analogies don't alter the fact of in game lore. You may not perceive it outside the context of the game as a person/player to be evil by other standards, but evil is a defined concept in game, which the process of becoming a necro makes any necro by definition.

When the first redeemed necro actually exists, I'm sure that it'll be a point of lore vs. character perception that gets hashed out on if they are redeemed in fact or only on a path to redemption that never actually works.

And just because someone isn't perverse doesn't mean they aren't evil according to the way good vs. evil are defined as concepts within the game.

Player of Ryken
---
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." ~ Doug Larson

AIM - RykenDR
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/30/2013 04:29 PM CST
Necros are evil. Period. That's the lore, that's the game, that's the perception of the unwashed masses, and the authorities everywhere. People can stick their head in the sand and claim to be "nice" or "good" or whatever and it's just delusion. The moment you create a zombie, bypass the favors of the gods and use SRE, or plunge that knife into a corpse to perform some necromantic ritual, say goodbye to any "good" you might have stored up. You're performing an evil act. RP "good" all you want, it's just a lie and you probably should have chosen another guild to play because any RP will always be false and end up making a "good" necromancer nothing but a joke. There is no "challenge" in RP'ing a good necromancer, because you're discounting everything about the guild. Necros are evil. Period. Saying otherwise a thousand times will not make it so. Dorothy, just click those ruby red slippers 3 times and say, "necros are good, necros are good, necros are good."

"Nope, I decided parry will remain completely and utterly useless. Try something else."
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/30/2013 05:41 PM CST
>Necros are evil. Period.

I think at one point there was a goal to make this more apparent via messaging. Like circling involving slaughtering people in horrible ways (since we already have huntable creatures from the playable races, it has to be worse that just killing them), and all rituals containing references to the inherent madness of being a Necromancer.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/30/2013 05:54 PM CST
> Like circling involving slaughtering people in horrible ways (since we already have huntable creatures from the playable races, it has to be worse that just killing them), and all rituals containing references to the inherent madness of being a Necromancer.

IIRC it was something like requiring performing Thanatology rituals on a humanoid for each circle.

Elusive
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/30/2013 07:22 PM CST

That all Necros are evil AND crazy is how it can work no matter how the Player conducts his character int he game. Your Necro comes on some baby prydeans about to be tear to pieces by a pack of blood wolves and risking life and limb fights them off and saves the babies... Is not because he is good, is because he is crazy. How many innocents the Necro will end up killing either in pursue of the great work, or to defend himself from the gods-hoodwinked masses? Time will tell, but if he is to grow as a Necromancer, if he is to advance the Philosopher's Quest, they will be legion.

Any good, kind and unselfish act our Necro Character performs is just a show of his Madness. I am no D&D expert, but a Necro that performs good acts is just behaving in a Chaotic/Evil way. But Evil nonetheless. As Necros, we are evil, We as characters do not necessarily think so, we believe that our goal will free Elanthia from the utilitarian slavery that the immortals and we do not believe, as players, that the destruction of the immortals (which I as player understand could happen from a kind of starvation) will result in the destruction of the world and the Universe present within this plane of existence.

The Player can play his Necro as sane, good and decent as he wants, it is of no import. As long as he continues his pursuit of Necromancer Powers and abilities he is doing evil. That his behavior, opinion and expressed goals may be noble, is just a manifestation of his madness, with tints of self-delusion, magalomania and narcisism. A Sociopath is not cured, he may be controlled and help perform and constrain to the mandates of society with therapy, vigilance and/or medication. In DR terms, they seem to call this Redemption.

But I may just be mad.
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/30/2013 07:43 PM CST
oh... and the more we protest we are not mad, the madder we seem to be.

But, you know the rest.
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/30/2013 09:10 PM CST
>The Player can play his Necro as sane, good and decent as he wants, it is of no import.

Arguably not, really. The initiation quest (and some GM input for that part alone) pretty much spell out that, once you're a fully guilded necro...you're not sane. You're just not. You've been through the cthulian madness, and you can fake it like a champ if you want, but you are not normal, and never will be.

Re: The Food of the Gods 01/30/2013 10:14 PM CST
>Arguably not, really.<

What I am saying, Ucu, is that even if the player were to conduct his Necro as if the character were sane, the character is still mad. Thus the parts about self delusion, narcissism and megalomania.

The Player has total freedom to play as a hero and conduct his character as if it were sane. But the character is still mad and evil. Non-necro characters that believe in the goodness of a Necro's heart or intentions have been deceived or are victims of a mass hysteria brought on by the Necro himself.

SIMU is not forcing anyone to go and play evil, even if you decide to play your Necro as nice, that is just either a cover, or evidence of the madness (imagine, he is involved in a course of action that would result in the destruction of the world and of all living things in Elanthia, and still he thinks that in doing so he has been made privy to the only way to free himself, and maybe us, from being ultimately eaten by the gods.)

But, you know the rest.
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/31/2013 12:00 AM CST
The attunement process is not really a binary switch for sanity. There would be little reason for the rite to exist if it were since the ones performing the rite would surely cut up anyone that was not functional. It is clear anyone that endures the procedure is no longer normal, seeing a mana frequency that most magical theorist believe shouldn't exist is proof enough of that. So its not a complete absence of sanity, its more akin to personality disorders.

My opinion on the Good/Bad necromancers is that, as a player of a necromancer, you should accept that all necromancers are evil. However all characters are free to indulge in any degree of delusion you wish, its perfectly fine to have a character the believes the means of necromancy are justified by the ends. Idealists whom seek to break free of the construct of mortality and the system that governs us put in place by the immortals are my favorite types of necromantic characters. They are trying to balance the evil of their acts with the ideal of freeing mortals from a system that's purpose is to raise us to be harvested by the Immortals.

Elusive
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/31/2013 07:16 AM CST
> Thus the parts about self delusion, narcissism and megalomania.

I think one of the cool things about the way Armifer wrote these mental illnesses into the guild lore isn't so much that we're stark raving eat your shirt mad, but that we're barely contained psychopaths mad. Don't think evil Mad Hatter, think Hannibal Lecter. You can obviously RP your Necromancer how you see fit, and your character can believe whatever they want, but the fact of the matter is Necromancers are evil/bad/wrong.

That's the point. You the player know this; Necromancers are evil, and what they are doing is evil. Your character may be convinced that it serves a greater purpose, but at the very least, you should be aware that if you are RPing someone who feels they are 'good', that you are RPing someone who is also delusional.
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/31/2013 09:41 AM CST
That's pretty much the case with rping an evil character altogether. The worst evils and atrocities can be done by someone who thinks that the ends justifies the means. To the character, they don't think they are evil unless they're perverse.They're not the traditional villian guy with the handlebar mustache tying penelope purebred to the railroad tracks. <underdog analogy>. They can think they are doing it for the "greater good".

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/31/2013 04:35 PM CST
Her name was Penelope Purebred? Geez racism was entrenched.
Re: The Food of the Gods 01/31/2013 05:03 PM CST
>>Her name was Penelope Purebred?

Well, she was a dog, so, you know.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: The Food of the Gods 02/08/2013 07:45 AM CST

Ok lets start it like this, Necromancers are evil no matter how good they are.
Why: The Moon Mage Council is in charge of all new spells and magical aspects of Elanthia. They deem that kind of Magic evil and unlawful.
Case of Point:
Lord Sura, Lord and protector of a city was invited to join Moon Mage council when he fell victum to a terable disease that would kill him. So he decided to study with the Crystal Hnad mox. When he returned from the studies he went to see the Council. He informed them he no longer was ill and couldn't die. The Council on the Spot deemed him a ROGUE SORCERER. Lord Sura fled to his city where he was persued by assassins of the council. To escape he casted a giant earthquake that decimated the city allowing him to escape safely.
was he right or wrong in creating the earthquake? here is the point of that paragraph if you said he was right congrats you are a necromancer if you said he was wrong congrats your in thw rong folder and outed your self!!

The decent of the Fallen:
Lord Sura is Lord Sorrow named Lord Sorrow for the citizens he protected and saved from invasions and the grief and SORROW'S HE CREATED when he casted the earthquake spell and obliterated the city he protected!

Lord Sorrow then went in to hiding when Dzree hired em to guess what? smash another city. He did for one reason. He got his keep back and protecters for it s'lai.

Lord Sorrow is the son of a Nobleman of the ruling family before the fall of the "star empire" and last desendant of the ruling family of the empire.

Sithsia was a noble women who worked with the Farn company she is also the reason the woods are twisted by leth. She might also be the reason the demon is imprisoned or harnessed as the standing stones were her design. She is a necromancer as she casted a strong enough spell after her husbands son died to end the elven war.

Sidholt over 3000 years old Queen Morganae over 3000 years old, One is a bone dancer other is a necromancer both evil just pendulium fell differently for there fates.

Case in point is this A necromancer is good in their minds but everyone else will see them as evil. Queen Morganae holds that Crown because every kingdom is to scared to dare even come close to trying to take it off her head and she medles in every court with some one being her eyes. Another thing keeps her crown is she is very nosey.

Sidholt deemed evil because he lost the fight to queen morganae and tried to gain power threw demonic means and evil allies and also sided with the dragon priests.

The point is the view you are taking as there is no good or evil just a different spectrum of the eye.
But the final word of good and evil spells is deemed by the Moon Mage Council who deciphers and re makes a spell so it is not to powerful or has to bad of effects which was the results of the guardians checking the balances of spells and mana.
Prev_page Previous 1