Prev_page Previous 1
Necromancers 04/25/2015 11:14 AM CDT
Is it really ok to out these people solely on the basis of how they collect their piles AND NOTHING ELSE? Otherwise quiet and peaceful?

Keep in mind, I don't have one. I just had an argument in game because of people targetting someone who seemed to not be doing anything because one person noticed how they were collecting their piles.
Re: Necromancers 04/25/2015 11:28 AM CDT
>>Is it really ok to out these people solely on the basis of how they collect their piles AND NOTHING ELSE? Otherwise quiet and peaceful?

Think of it as a rorschach test that the person taking the test is in charge of making.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Necromancers 04/25/2015 11:31 AM CDT
Those tells are there intentionally to help guide the necromancer to the conclusion that they need to hide their work away from other people, not hope to go unnoticed in plain sight.
Re: Necromancers 04/25/2015 11:38 AM CDT
I agree entirely, re: piles. It seems like it was a really cute little idea someone had, which has had horrifically damaging side-effects, and should probably be revisited. Alternately, it'd be neat if we could set a shape for what we'd like our piles to look like, sort of like setting a personal fragrance, and different shapes are attainable with increasing levels of Outdoorsmanship/Engineering. However that seems like a project that would take a few weeks at least, not to mention the approval process and simply having the time and drive to work on it, so in the interim I'd really like it if all piles just looked the same.

I

"[A]ll PC necromancers are now redeemed good guys..." ~ GM Raesh
Re: Necromancers 04/25/2015 11:40 AM CDT
>> Those tells are there intentionally to help guide the necromancer to the conclusion that they need to hide their work away from other people, not hope to go unnoticed in plain sight.

Yes, Necromancers should hide their perverted, defiant works from the public. But are we really saying that they need to hide when they're collecting piles of grass?

I know that Necromancers are explicitly supposed to be DR's "Hard Mode," but lately it seems like virtually everyone who is not an active PC Necromancer wants to make it DR's "Unenjoyable Mode."

I

Re: Necromancers 04/25/2015 11:44 AM CDT
Necromancers are not intended to remain incognito indefinitely. If they do anything to make it happen sooner rather than later, without research as to what that could entail, that's on them.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -
Re: Necromancers 04/25/2015 11:45 AM CDT
>>Yes, Necromancers should hide their perverted, defiant works from the public. But are we really saying that they need to hide when they're collecting piles of grass?

Past the point where your psyche is starting to come through in simple actions like pile collecting, yes. You're not right in the head and it's time to start being more cautious with that fact.

>>I know that Necromancers are explicitly supposed to be DR's "Hard Mode," but lately it seems like virtually everyone who is not an active PC Necromancer wants to make it DR's "Unenjoyable Mode."

I'm making these comments as a 100+ circle necromancer. Wanting to train Outdoorsmanship in front of other people shouldn't trump the built in rp of what's happening to your necromancer as it progresses further into the great work.
Re: Necromancers 04/25/2015 11:47 AM CDT
>>Yes, Necromancers should hide their perverted, defiant works from the public. But are we really saying that they need to hide when they're collecting piles of grass?

The point is that they can't help but show them. It looks like a pile of corpses because, subconsciously, they can't stop thinking of corpses. It's similar to how every other guild shows something that relates to their guild. They're so ingrained in what makes up the guild that they build stuff that intentionally resembles what that guild stands for.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Necromancers 04/25/2015 12:19 PM CDT
>I agree entirely, re: piles. It seems like it was a really cute little idea someone had

I believe Armifer said it was intentional at every step that Necromancers have these tells. That collect is a subliminal 'tell' and necromancers cannot control it.
Re: Necromancers 04/25/2015 12:28 PM CDT
>> I believe Armifer said it was intentional at every step that Necromancers have these tells. That collect is a subliminal 'tell' and necromancers cannot control it.

My point is that if a Necromancer knows that their piles tend to look like dead bodies, that they should be able to intentionally make them look like not dead bodies.

I

Re: Necromancers 04/25/2015 12:37 PM CDT
>>My point is that if a Necromancer knows that their piles tend to look like dead bodies, that they should be able to intentionally make them look like not dead bodies.

That we still can't speaks volumes about what's been altered in our minds.
Re: Necromancers 04/25/2015 12:38 PM CDT
>>My point is that if a Necromancer knows that their piles tend to look like dead bodies, that they should be able to intentionally make them look like not dead bodies.

Except they can't help themselves. That's the fun part.

Imagine it like some kind of word association game.

Psychologist: "What's your favorite color?"
Necro: (Don't say corpse white. Don't say corpse white. Don't say corpse white. Don't say corpse white. Don't say corpse white.)
Necro: "Corpse white!"
Necro: (That's it I'm out of here.)

Re: Necromancers 04/25/2015 01:02 PM CDT
>Yes, Necromancers should hide their perverted, defiant works from the public. But are we really saying that they need to hide when they're collecting piles of grass?

Necromancers are supposed to hide from the public all the time. They're never supposed to be anywhere near the public except when they need supplies. You're an untouchable outcast and not supposed to be there at all...

...not that I'm suggesting DR's playerbase brilliantly supports this when we're all basically playing minor celebrities.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Necromancers 04/25/2015 02:17 PM CDT
I hate collect piles.

It's some truly metagamey stuff that doesn't stand up to a bit of reasonable scrutiny and I think extremely poorly of anybody who tries to defend using it to out a Necromancer. It's up there with counting arrange messages.

Thayet
Follow @thayelf on Twitter for absolutely nothing of any value whatsoever!
Re: Necromancers 04/25/2015 02:34 PM CDT
>>I hate collect piles.

>>It's some truly metagamey stuff that doesn't stand up to a bit of reasonable scrutiny and I think extremely poorly of anybody who tries to defend using it to out a Necromancer. It's up there with counting arrange messages.

I have a hard time viewing looking at things in the room and noticing that they're corpse shaped as metagaming. Piles are intentionally setup as an out once you've reached a certain point.

Counting arranges I could see the complaint a little more but even there it seems like pretty straight forward rp to me; 'hey that guy there is spending twice as long over dead things as the rest of us'. It's not really metagaming to notice things that're happening around you.

I think roleplaying out how your character handles giving off these tells is more compelling than wanting to just remain mechanically hidden while in plain sight.
::Posts moved here:: 04/25/2015 03:07 PM CDT

If you think you've read the above 15 posts before, you probably have.

They got moved here as it's where they belong.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: ::Posts moved here:: 04/25/2015 05:53 PM CDT

It's also been mentioned that Necromancers don't interact with the justice system enough. We Necromancers should dispense with the idea of masquerading as urban rangers or such indefinitely.
Re: Necromancers 04/27/2015 04:31 AM CDT
>>I have a hard time viewing looking at things in the room and noticing that they're corpse shaped as metagaming. Piles are intentionally setup as an out once you've reached a certain point.

>>Counting arranges I could see the complaint a little more but even there it seems like pretty straight forward rp to me; 'hey that guy there is spending twice as long over dead things as the rest of us'. It's not really metagaming to notice things that're happening around you.

Yes, there's a lore justification for the tells, but I would disagree about the nature of these two.

The collect messages, from what I remember, were originally a fun Out-of-Character thing that was designed prior to the release of the Necromancer guild by an unrelated GM at a time when the Necro messaging would only out GMNPCs. The only reason that we don't start at circle 1 with the collect message is that a GM looked at that and said, "You know, that's not really going to be pleasant for circle 1 Necromancers -- but we don't want any protection to be lasting very long, by design."

Similarly, having one extra arrange message isn't "taking twice as long" -- it's taking an extra three seconds on top of the already rather long arranging process (what, six for everyone else? So, an extra 16.6%). Both of these are being used as tells by savvy players that have, in an Out-of-Character manner, read all of the posts about the time that the guild came out, and saw a GM post that the Preserve ritual was changed to give an arrange message because people were highlighting the Preserve messaging and using it to gank the noobs.

Knowledge of especially the latter tell was entirely based on out-of-game knowledge from the forums with no in-character tell, so I'd say it's super metagamey. Also, it's pretty tacky, because you're literally going around and staring at people while they hunting, which is normally not really something most players are cool with. The fact that it's also been the basis for harassment and supposed exile from a province is really not okay, and the fact that people have at least historically done "patrols" of hunting grounds that they have long outgrown just to pick on lower circle characters is even worse.

But, the issue I take isn't with the tells themselves, or the development direction. It's an issue with the player community. Quite a few people think it's fun to be a jerk to another player who they literally otherwise would never have interacted with in any way, shape, or form.

"Nobody cares about the feasibility of Sidhlot's portrayal of evil. That's not the point. He's older than dragons and so metal he poops viking helmets." - Armifer

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu-proxy R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Re: Necromancers 04/30/2015 12:47 PM CDT
My own vote is that collecting piles should not out anybody, least of all Necromancers. It just sounds utterly insane to accuse someone of being something as terrible as a Necromancer based on the way they pile up some rocks.

I do understand that we all are supposed to have our own psychological nuances, but perhaps they could be kept to PERSONAL views of the piles, not views by anyone. Because it's just a pile of rocks.

Also, in general, I want to see more ways for Thieves and Necromancers to fool everybody else. Please, give the Goods some ways of scrutinizing our suspected foes, but let's do it in a way that is either a) obvious to everyone involved what is happening or b) involves significant stealth checks. As a good guy, it's a lot more fun to have to work at it to discover people.
Re: Necromancers 05/01/2015 07:39 AM CDT

>My own vote is that collecting piles should not out anybody, least of all Necromancers. It just sounds utterly insane to accuse someone of being something as terrible as a Necromancer based on the way they pile up some rocks.

Eh, this conversation was had a lot years ago when it was set this way. Ultimately, the smart Necromancer has only a single uncontrollable/unavoidable out (Ranger hand shakes), and Necromancers shouldn't be collecting piles and braiding vines and listening to classes in justice zones anyway, so, meh. Consider it extra encouragement to not be a stupid Necromancer.

>Also, in general, I want to see more ways for Thieves and Necromancers to fool everybody else.

Agreed. I'd more than anything like to see a mechanism for storing items and/or our Bondsmen dragging our corpses off.
Re: Necromancers 05/01/2015 11:32 AM CDT
>> Eh, this conversation was had a lot years ago when it was set this way. Ultimately, the smart Necromancer has only a single uncontrollable/unavoidable out (Ranger hand shakes), and Necromancers shouldn't be collecting piles and braiding vines and listening to classes in justice zones anyway, so, meh. Consider it extra encouragement to not be a stupid Necromancer.

That is the only uncontrollable out caused by direct action, yes. Though classes are a difficult one too, if you intend to be around other people at all. My particular advice to newer Necromancers, though, to train Perception using HUNT after circle 5, because you never know when someone's going to look in; similarly, getting arrange all via 25 ranks of either Engineering or Outfitting is an absolute must. Call it "advanced guild" or "hard mode" if you will, but what I'm cranky about isn't directly the GMs' doing.

Sadly, I've come to expect rather constant metagaming (and rationalizations thereof) from the majority of the player base, as well as disinterest in roleplay interaction, when it comes to Necromancy, and I recommend that any would-be Necromancer do the same. Expect highlights, both of actions and names, pile-looking, arrange-counting, and people demanding you either show your profession or they kill you -- the very reason that I won't ever bother with going fully Open. Many people don't seem to be amenable to bothering with any foreplay before PvP, especially when it comes to ganking, and want to excuse the jerk behavior (to another player, not just the character) with lore.

Note that, for those that are going to ask "But how to RP persecution without typing attack?", I'm not saying to hug the Necro. Just, y'know, talk a little bit before you do. Interact. Give them a chance to interact back. Maybe pose a few times, discuss the whole "slippery slope" thing you use as an excuse to do it in the first place (after all, you type it extensively on the forums in order to excuse kill-on-sight ganking), talk about how your brother's sister's cousin's former roommate was killed by Lyras, maybe discuss how betrayed you felt when Zamidren wasn't a Cleric, or even try to discuss the errors of their ways before they get to the point where they zombie up. Make a show of drawing your weapon, assuming a cautious stance, making sure your character is ready for a fight. Make it other than a look pile;target death;cast Necro macro. And, if you know you're going to gib them without them even being able to put up a fight? Maybe don't use that macro, but instead a stern warning that if they ever become a threat to something other than ship rats, you'll be back with an angry mob, and you won't be so friendly.

And if you're insistent on metagaming by looking at a pile? Maybe role play it as "That's a creepy pile. I've seen other people that've made such piles, and they've made zombies. You better not be one of those zombie-toting Necromancers." At least make put in some effort like you're not taking that information directly from the epedia into the game.

"Nobody cares about the feasibility of Sidhlot's portrayal of evil. That's not the point. He's older than dragons and so metal he poops viking helmets." - Armifer

Re: Necromancers 05/01/2015 11:53 AM CDT
>> And if you're insistent on metagaming by looking at a pile? Maybe role play it as...

If someone is metagaming by looking at piles, I don't really expect them to role play much at all.

I

Re: Necromancers 05/01/2015 01:45 PM CDT

The other day, a character (a Paladin) walked past my Necromancer, who had zero tells up, and said 'Necro' and then walked off. On a whim, I noticed their profile had an AIM handle, so messaged them just to ask how they knew or what that was about. A perfectly polite conversation ensued (whew!) wherein they told me they had been gone from the game for about 3 years, and my Necromancers name was on some old Therens Guard list of Necromancers.

Sure, from an IC perspective I get it, that Necromancy is a big deal and you don't shake a rep like that. But that's why we need more means of interacting with justice than we've got.

>And if you're insistent on metagaming by looking at a pile? Maybe role play it as "That's a creepy pile. I've seen other people that've made such piles, and they've made zombies. You better not be one of those zombie-toting Necromancers." At least make put in some effort like you're not taking that information directly from the epedia into the game.

It's not even an RP thing. You don't have to say "Wow that pile looks like a corpse, you've probably got a thing for corpses!", you could just say "Man, there's something about you that's off" and go from there. The piles are supposed to be a symptom of the rest of our off-ness, and are just a convenient place of showing it.
Re: Necromancers 05/01/2015 02:45 PM CDT
I won't share all my thoughts on that Theren Guard list and the fact that it's still floating around, because frankly, they'd get my post pulled. I won't share how I know or how to access it for obvious reason, but it is actually still accessible and floating around even now.

Sure, there's a way that someone can construe an IC lore justification for treating people that, but there's no IC justification for the dissemination of that list (it was shared on the forums, and in other locations Out of Character, with a really shoddy "This list was shared on every door of every town, because I want an In-Character way of doing this"). And, at the end of the day, it was disseminated OOC not to "protect the realms," but as a systematic attempt to shame, ridicule players, and ultimately make it extremely difficult to play a Necromancer by promoting harassment -- which is also why I remember it was pulled from the boards and deemed not to be OK, because it was promoting a hostile play environment and violations of policy.

That's the big line I keep trying to draw, and maybe the dead horse I'm beating, because it doesn't really seem to be gaining any traction at times, because people prioritize feeling authentic to their idea of their character narrative over making sure the game is accessible for everyone. Keep it in-character, but don't take actions that make the game unplayable, and don't be a jerk to the player.

Re: Necromancers 05/01/2015 03:41 PM CDT
>>If someone is metagaming by looking at piles, I don't really expect them to role play much at all.

While I sympathize with people who feel this way about the tells made via piles, if you're in a setting where people are poking around piles in order to see who might be a necro, that's a strong warning sign to get out of dodge anyway.

Re: Necromancers 05/01/2015 04:51 PM CDT
I dunno. Since the GM who coded it has specifically said several times that Necro tells (via collect) are deliberate, I think it's grasping at straws (and very thin ones) to say it's metagaming.

You'd have a better case for claiming that someone 'knowing' you cast HP or similar spells outing you as a necromancer is metagaming.

Same thing with the Theren Guard list. I think it's stupid, and I think it punishes players and is intended to be a deliberately jerk move, but I also (unfortunately) think it's perfectly IC for the 'anti necromancer' brigade to maintain a list of known/suspected necromancers. What they do with it, and how, is often unacceptable, and how they generate the list itself is questionable. But the list itself, meh.
Re: Necromancers 05/01/2015 05:09 PM CDT
I think good RP is more about reacting to what's happening around you than it is trying to argue with others about which parts of their rp (or the game itself in the case of tells like piles) you think shouldn't be happening.

I agree with the sentiment of wishing that the other side would come up with something more clever than 0-100 aggression as a response to running across one of us but at the end of the day I can only control how I respond to what's going on around me so that's where I try to focus on finding fun.
Re: Necromancers 05/01/2015 06:08 PM CDT
Badgopher:
>>I dunno. Since the GM who coded it has specifically said several times that Necro tells (via collect) are deliberate, I think it's grasping at straws (and very thin ones) to say it's metagaming.

>>You'd have a better case for claiming that someone 'knowing' you cast HP or similar spells outing you as a necromancer is metagaming.

>>Same thing with the Theren Guard list. I think it's stupid, and I think it punishes players and is intended to be a deliberately jerk move, but I also (unfortunately) think it's perfectly IC for the 'anti necromancer' brigade to maintain a list of known/suspected necromancers. What they do with it, and how, is often unacceptable, and how they generate the list itself is questionable. But the list itself, meh.

Nowhere did I say that Necromancers shouldn't be outed by deliberate casting of Necromantic spells. HP is very different than arranging a kill. The arrange-counting is the egregious metagaming in my eyes. I do additionally see the collect bit as metagaming, but I freely admit that Abasha posted stated she didn't see a lore problem with it -- per her post on 12/16/2009, "The piles, although they're a very, very silly way of showing it (and wouldn't be my first choice of how, they just needed fixing), are a reflection of this madness."

But, the collect messaging is "silly," per her words, and not the ideal way to show a tell. It also effectively denies closeted Necromancers the best method of training Outdoorsmanship and Perception skills that I am aware of, which is my main objection to it mechanically. I'm not saying that it needs to be changed in-game, but I certainly wouldn't object. My main objection is how players have chosen to "police" the realms for Necromancers.

The list itself isn't an issue, as much as the intent of the players identifying, distributed, and using the list, and it's why it got pulled from both the 'pedia and the forums. And, hey, if they'd distributed it to the audience that they could get in-game, I would not object nearly as strongly to it, because at least it wouldn't have been out-of-character. The fact is, though, the list was added to, and used by, a minority of players who 1) metagame, 2) are interested in griefing other players, and 3) targeted the players of Necromancers because it was an excuse considered socially acceptable and supported by Lore.

Apatheticsmile:
>>I think good RP is more about reacting to what's happening around you than it is trying to argue with others about which parts of their rp (or the game itself in the case of tells like piles) you think shouldn't be happening.

>>I agree with the sentiment of wishing that the other side would come up with something more clever than 0-100 aggression as a response to running across one of us but at the end of the day I can only control how I respond to what's going on around me so that's where I try to focus on finding fun.

Before you attempt to turn this into a judgment on my RP, here's a more concrete example of the predatory use of this metagaming that I take umbrage with, for context. Tell me if you'd agree with my objection or not.

Necrobob is fresh out of Sand Sprites, looking for a new creature. Tries out a creature that happens to be in Therengia. Is hunting alone, no Necro buffs visible, not casting anything but AP spells, percs non-Arcane, no zombie or mudman. No piles collected. 30+ favors, with a favor-related title up. Self-Appointed Guardsman Bill comes to inspect the hunting ground, but sneaks in so there's a moment he's not even visible for a moment, clearly outclassing Necrobob in skills, whose Perception was more than 100 more than his combats, and didn't even have the chance at seeing Guardsman Bill when he spoke.

Bill had stayed in hiding long enough that he'd watched as Necrobob killed the beast with his bare hands, and then proceeded to arrange that one extra time, which had been posted on the forums. Out of nowhere, Bill states his accusation that Bob is a Necromancer. Bob, who can't speak to or directly address Bill because Bill is in hiding, states that Bill must be mistaken. Bob tries to RP. Bill only gives Bob three options: Set his profession visible to prove he's not a Necromancer, Perma-exile from a province, or chain-killing and harassment. This was to a PvP Guarded Bob who had kept his head down and hadn't really interacted with anyone publicly.

Bob politely excused himself, stating that he didn't particularly want to hang around any place where people treated potential immigrants like that, and left the province. Could Bob have gone to the GMs about it? Sure. But, Bob's not that type of person. Bob just moves on. Bill, clearly upset that he didn't get to chain-kill, logs onto the forums, and posts to the list thread that Bob is a Necromancer, so he should be killed any time he's in the province.

Here's what I take umbrage with, in order of priority:
* Bill had no business bothering hunters in that area, based on his skills. Yet he very cautiously and deliberately went about it in every way to not give away his purpose until he'd counted arranges. He so greatly outskilled the Perception of a Survival Prime that he would likely have insta-gibbed Bob, yet the intent is clear to ruin Bob's day, not only denying Bob access to a hunting ground, but an entire province, or to have people that greatly outclass Bob chain-kill and harass.
* Bill demanded self-imposed exile from a fifth of the provinces of the game, thus limiting the player's access to appropriate hunting grounds and training.
* Bill then went and posted to the forums with the intent to have a player continually harassed should he decide not to follow that arbitrary limit.
* The information that Necromancers can have one extra arrange message was strictly out-of-game information that Bill gleaned from the boards.
* Bill also made no attempt to talk before he gave his ultimatum. He deliberately did not want to be interacted with until he made his statement.

My priority is firmly to address and resolve the griefing issue, and metagaming has only enabled the griefing issue. My reason for bringing all of these things up is that we, as a community, need to move past all of that, and get rid of the oppositional mentality that players have, especially when it comes to griefing. Bill could have easily found a Necromancer in his skill range to combat -- there were numerous visibly hunting in his province with zombies at that time -- but he didn't, because he wanted to brutalize someone who couldn't fight back. Bill's intent isn't to roleplay, or act in accordance with lore. Those only give him an excuse. Bill's intent is to impede the gameplay experience of another player, who clearly can't prove even a hint of a threat to him.

Had Bill 1) not been predatory, 2) not threatened chain-killing and harassment, 3) Bill not directly taken out-of-game information in-game and vice-versa, or 4) bothered to actually have a conversation, Bob wouldn't have had such a bad taste his mouth about the experience. But, in terms of being a jerk to Bob's player, Bill's kind of batting 1.000. And Bill's behavior is considered acceptable by a not-insignificant percentage of players.

Make a bit more sense now?

Re: Necromancers 05/01/2015 06:22 PM CDT
>It also effectively denies closeted Necromancers the best method of training Outdoorsmanship and Perception skills

I disagree with this. You're still free to train outdoorsmanship and perception with collect. Just, you know, not near anyone if you don't want to be outed. Which I'm rather fine with, since the old 'necromancer is hard mode' thing. Necromancers who don't want to be outed have to make other concessions already.

>The list itself isn't an issue, as much as the intent of the players identifying, distributed, and using the list,

Ya, I worded my post fairly carefully because I agree with your sentiment here. The list? Fine. The actual use? Not so much.
Re: Necromancers 05/01/2015 06:25 PM CDT
>> Tell me if you'd agree with my objection or not.

I disagree with the first assumption that Bill has no business there. Bill has busines wherever Bill happens to decide he's got business. Necrobob has to deal with the idea that they're not running all of the characters in the story that's unfolding.

Most of what happened past the chain killing part goes into harassment territory imo.

>>Make a bit more sense now?

Your position has made sense to me from the beginning and I'm not trying to disparage your RP skills at all. I've gone through most of the same thoughts and feelings your expressing here and I'm suggesting to you what's worked for me to stop feeling frustrated about it.
Re: Necromancers 05/01/2015 06:28 PM CDT
The issue with that example is that Bill needs consent. Being a necro is not consent by itself, even in Theren, no as long as Bob truly did remain guarded and keep his head down he could basically ignore Bill in that situation because Bill is all talk. Bob would not be able to be chain-killed if guarded, even if obviously a necro, if he was just hunting and minding his business.

Re: Necromancers 05/01/2015 07:12 PM CDT
Yes, that makes sense, and I agree to a certain extent. But, it needs to be discussed, because for some reasons, there's been some pretty fervent defense of the actions Bill took periodically.

It happened, it was against policy, and yes, Bob could've reported or otherwise utilized policy to defend himself. I'm glad that a growing consensus appears to be that all of Bill's actions, all taken together, aren't okay. But more telling to me has been that each of those pieces, by themselves, have over the course of this conversation and others over the past month or so have been vehemently defended by players OOC by Lore, when those actions would, to my understanding, all been considered inappropriate if, say, Bill was a Necromancer, and Bob were a Cleric, and Bill had been, say, Cleric-hunting. Furthermore, that these concerns have been dismissed as Necromancers looking for hugs.

I suppose my main question is, and the dialogue I'm curious for, is even after GMs have weighed in on many of those issues as not-okay, why's it considered okay to varying extent by a vocal not-insignificant portion of the player community to engage in these acts, even to a lesser extent, if the victim is a Necromancer, when it'd be taken pretty horribly Out-of-Character if it were done in reverse?

Re: Necromancers 05/01/2015 07:54 PM CDT
>why's it considered okay to varying extent by a vocal not-insignificant portion of the player community to engage in these acts, even to a lesser extent, if the victim is a Necromancer, when it'd be taken pretty horribly Out-of-Character if it were done in reverse?

Because when it happens, the mindset seems to be one of not reporting it even though it is reportable and thus giving no consequences to it continuing, and probably giving the misconception that it is okay. If you want it to stop, you need to take a stand against it and make there be consequences. Everyone in the world coming out and saying it's a bad thing isn't going to stop everyone, sadly.

Re: Necromancers 05/01/2015 08:22 PM CDT
>Being a necro is not consent by itself, even in Theren,

Is this true, really? The last time I saw anything come up about Theren RP, people were complaining that a GM//GMNPC was basically going all holy war on the Necros. Which, while incredibly IC, was also pretty worrisome. But it was only one side of the story (i.e. the necro).
Re: Necromancers 05/01/2015 09:22 PM CDT
An event to purge the province of Necros does not change policy as far as I am aware. I haven't ever seen a complaint like that from a non-Open Necro.

Re: Necromancers 05/02/2015 08:24 AM CDT

Again, people (Necros) seem to be under the impression that having someone scrutinize you and figure out you're a Necromancer through your own actions (be they collecting piles in public, arranging numerous times, not having RoC up, etc) constitute harassment or violations of consent. They don't.

The flip side of this is that people (Therengians) seem to be under the impression that stalking someone and harassing them ("Cast a guild signature spell, now, or I'll put an arrow in your face!") constitutes RP. It doesn't.

In all this I somewhat side against Necromancers who aren't smart in how they comport themselves, but there's plenty of childish play on both sides of the fence.
Re: Necromancers 05/02/2015 10:41 AM CDT
>>constitute harassment or violations of consent. They don't.

It's possible I missed some key points in this thread, but I see less "it's harassment" and more "it's stupid".

While I disagree with the idea that the pile thing is metagaming, I still totally get why people would see it as stupid.

Re: Necromancers 05/02/2015 11:05 AM CDT
>> While I disagree with the idea that the pile thing is metagaming, I still totally get why people would see it as stupid.

My argument (I wasn't the first one to pose this, but I have an opinion) on why the pile thing is metagaming is because it's stupid, and while I have no difficulty pretending that there's a world in which people can throw magic fire and roar so loudly that people flee in terror, I can't accept that this is also a world in which no living person is capable of collecting a pile of rocks without subconsciously shaping them in a way that reveals their profession. My necromancer is on a long-deactivated account, but as a Bard in game today, every pile I collect is artful, and even if someone were to point out to me that my piles looked artful, I could not choose to make a pile that didn't look artful afterwards. Even if I really, really wanted to make a pile that looked like a crescent moon (the MM look) or an altar (the Cleric look), or just a pile that looked like nothing at all, it would be impossible. I totally get the argument that the shape of a pile is a subconscious, ink-blot kinda thing, but any person of even moderate intelligence is capable of overcoming that with conscious thought. What the pile-look system says, in my opinion, is that all Elanthians are idiots who have little control over their supposedly conscious actions. (I'm being hyperbolic of course, but it's to make a point.) I said it early on and I'll say it once more: the pile-look thing is cute, and I'm sure it was well-intentioned, but it's also very, very dumb and should be toggle-able for those of us who don't want to play mindless fools, but do still want to train outdoorsmanship via collecting piles. Has nothing to do with me being a Necro, because I'm not; it has everything to do with it being a silly, unrealistic feature.

I

Re: Necromancers 05/02/2015 11:12 AM CDT
Suspension of disbelief mixed with it's a game so you sort of have to let the weird parts go.

Why do we know when people we've never met before have died, by name, at any distance? We just have to accept that for our characters these things aren't anything they'd wonder about because it's the way it's always been for them.
Re: Necromancers 05/02/2015 11:15 AM CDT
>> Suspension of disbelief mixed with it's a game so you sort of have to let the weird parts go.

People use this argument all the time to legitimize bad ideas in fiction. It doesn't hold water, sorry. I prefer it if my fiction has logical consistency, and it's severely lacking here.

I

Prev_page Previous 1