Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Necromancers 05/02/2015 11:19 AM CDT
>People use this argument all the time to legitimize bad ideas in fiction.

And people use this rebutal when they don't have a leg to stand on.

The extension of your logic is that we cannot perform any supernatural feats, period, because suspension of disbelief and game play mechanics are not valid reasons for things to exist, therefore DR must mimic real life, and only real life, up to and including single, permanent, death, as well as crippling injuries being permanent.
Re: Necromancers 05/02/2015 11:20 AM CDT
It holds water because it's an observable fact. No one in Elanthia that I've ever met can shape a pile into anything other than what they're subconscious forces on them. Everyone in Elanthia that I've ever met has already known my name and I've been able to tell when everyone who's died has no matter where or who they are.

Doesn't matter which ideas are bad from a fiction writing perspective. We're not the writers in this context for any part of the story outside of what our characters can do.
Re: Necromancers 05/02/2015 11:24 AM CDT
>Everyone in Elanthia that I've ever met has already known my name and I've been able to tell when everyone who's died has no matter where or who they are.

Well, as far as the names/etc. thing goes, DR's player class are the celebrities of the game world, they're the 1% of the 1%, it makes sense that, even barring previous meetings, we could know names and general such things.

As far as deaths go, that is, again, a core function of the Dragonrealms world, and one of the (many) ways the physics in DR differs greatly from the physics in real life; in the game, spirit is a manipulatable force, something which can be metered, measured, effected, and controlled, just like electricity in real life. So perhaps a death simply resonates the spiritual aether, similar to how a pole top transformer exploding would resonate the air (and produce sound).

Bear in mind DR's playable area is pretty small, compared to the world; we're in roughly the size of Europe. We don't feel things from people in the other continents/etc. so presumably there's a distance metric involved.
Re: Necromancers 05/02/2015 11:29 AM CDT
>>Well, as far as the names/etc. thing goes, DR's player class are the celebrities of the game world, they're the 1% of the 1%, it makes sense that, even barring previous meetings, we could know names and general such things.

>>As far as deaths go, that is, again, a core function of the Dragonrealms world, and one of the (many) ways the physics in DR differs greatly from the physics in real life; in the game, spirit is a manipulatable force, something which can be metered, measured, effected, and controlled, just like electricity in real life. So perhaps a death simply resonates the spiritual aether, similar to how a pole top transformer exploding would resonate the air (and produce sound).

>>Bear in mind DR's playable area is pretty small, compared to the world; we're in roughly the size of Europe. We don't feel things from people in the other continents/etc. so presumably there's a distance metric involved.

Right on. I was just trying to be concise and skip over the 'bad fiction' hand wavings. ;)
Re: Necromancers 05/02/2015 01:40 PM CDT
>> "it's stupid"

Dear DragonRealms players,

http://i.imgur.com/6mWHLrD.jpg

What guild am I?

Thayet
Follow @thayelf on Twitter for absolutely nothing of any value whatsoever!
Re: Necromancers 05/02/2015 02:18 PM CDT
>What guild am I?

You're a player.

Players =/= characters. Do not pass go. Do not collect 100$.

Until and unless you can harness the powers of the aether to fling fireballs (not pyrochemical expulsions but actual magical fireballs) or raise those who have been dead for 1+ hour without any external devices, science, or help, this post is a miss.
Re: Necromancers ::NUDGE:: 05/02/2015 02:50 PM CDT

Question has been asked and answered.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Necromancers 05/02/2015 07:55 PM CDT
>>What guild am I?

Commoner, duh.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Necromancers 05/03/2015 07:06 AM CDT

>on why the pile thing is metagaming is because it's stupid, and while I have no difficulty pretending that there's a world in which people can throw magic fire and roar so loudly that people flee in terror, I can't accept that this is also a world in which no living person is capable of collecting a pile of rocks without subconsciously shaping them in a way that reveals their profession.

I guess it needs to be repeated a few more times - don't think of it as 'Haha, I'm Necrobob and I do everything normally, but when I gather rocks, YOU CAN SEE HOW EVIL I AM MWA HA HA HA HA HA back to the tea party'. Instead, think of it as 'I am Necrobob, and *everything I do is slightly wrong*, from the way I speak, to the way I stand, to the way gather rocks'.

Gathering rocks isn't a singular out, a Rorschach test that stands alone in all the actions a player performs, it's supposed to be just one of many things Necromancers do that looks wrong. 'Hey Necrobob why don't you shake my hand like a Ranger can?' or 'Hey Necrobob why don't you summon a familiar?' or 'Hey Necrobob why don't you do a prediction?' are all metagaming guild specifics that people find acceptable, for some reason, but the nuanced tells of how insane Necromancers are are something people believe to be silly.
Re: Necromancers 05/03/2015 01:49 PM CDT
The handshake thing is actually kind of dumb, as are most of the other Ranger verbs.

Ask yourself: if I used ACT to replicate one of them, how many people would roll with that?

Thayet
Re: Necromancers 05/04/2015 07:22 AM CDT

He only thing dumb about the handshake is demeanor has nobeffect on preventing them.
Re: Necromancers 05/05/2015 06:58 PM CDT
>He only thing dumb about the handshake is demeanor has nobeffect on preventing them.

Indeed. If someone extends a hand to me, I should definitely be able to stare at it until they put it away, rather than fail to participate in some weird rangerish expression of shared leaf appreciation.
Re: Necromancers 05/13/2015 05:06 PM CDT
I continue to be puzzled by this mechanic. It can be avoided entirely using 'forage item' instead of 'collect item'.

There's just so many things that can out people. If it's a cleric or moon mage ability, that makes sense. If it's something like a box dismantle or collect rock... I just don't...
Re: Necromancers 05/13/2015 06:43 PM CDT
>I continue to be puzzled by this mechanic. It can be avoided entirely using 'forage item' instead of 'collect item'.

Eh, collect simply teaches better, and you can dispose of the items by kicking them. It's more efficient all around.
Re: Necromancers 05/13/2015 07:17 PM CDT

I think specifically people want the easy Outdoorsmanship + Perception experience it provides, but, I agree, meh. Play smarter people.
Re: Necromancers 05/13/2015 07:24 PM CDT
>>I think specifically people want the easy Outdoorsmanship + Perception experience it provides, but, I agree, meh. Play smarter people.

Specifically it's wanting the easy experience while sitting around frequented places that seems to get people in the most trouble.

So many rooms with so few players yet everyone's stuck on training in the same areas of the world.
Re: Necromancers 05/13/2015 07:40 PM CDT
I've only ever used it in out of the way places. I've still had people pass by and pause in my room for a little too long.

Not much you can really do about at that point it until piles are fixed or they make outdoorsman less utterly tedious to train.

Thayet
Re: Necromancers 05/13/2015 08:28 PM CDT
>Not much you can really do about at that point it until piles are fixed or they make outdoorsman less utterly tedious to train.

Prospect walk through a couple mines?

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Necromancers 05/14/2015 12:11 AM CDT
>>Prospect walk through a couple mines?

I believe mining trains Outdoormanship better. Prospect is better for Appraisal\Perception.

Lumberjacking will be released with Shaping so that will be another way.
Re: Necromancers 05/14/2015 01:00 AM CDT
It's possible my skills just aren't high enough but when I tried mining it didn't move my outdoorsman very quickly at all. I think I was at it for a good ~45 minutes before I saw it reach higher mindstates and I don't recall that I ever actually locked it.

Thayet
Re: Necromancers 05/14/2015 08:27 AM CDT

Outdoorsmanship is still one of my survivals. I just don't collect piles in crowded gathering spots. I use collect pretty frequently, because I also train Alchemy.

If you're training somewhere where people can out you, you're doing it wrong. If you're doing something in your training that'll out you in such a place, you're doing it extra wrong.
Re: Necromancers 05/14/2015 11:00 AM CDT
Using a pile to out somebody would also, in my book, fall under "doing it wrong" where roleplaying is concerned, but this is the DragonRealms we live in sadly.

Thayet
Re: Necromancers 05/14/2015 11:01 AM CDT
>>If you're training somewhere where people can out you, you're doing it wrong. If you're doing something in your training that'll out you in such a place, you're doing it extra wrong.

Here's the problem with that. Unless you're collecting only in a guild-only area, there's still a chance that someone might stumble across you by chance, and look at a pile.

And the odds are, that one person will out you to many more.

"Nobody cares about the feasibility of Sidhlot's portrayal of evil. That's not the point. He's older than dragons and so metal he poops viking helmets." - Armifer

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu-proxy R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Re: Necromancers 05/14/2015 11:11 AM CDT
>>Using a pile to out somebody would also, in my book, fall under "doing it wrong" where roleplaying is concerned, but this is the DragonRealms we live in sadly.

Imagine it this way.

You know those word association games where someone says the first thing that comes to mind?

Necromancers just happen to say "DEATH DEATH EVERYWHERE DEATH IS AMONG US AND I AM THE HARBINGER" anytime someone says the word "ice cream" to them.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Necromancers 05/14/2015 11:12 AM CDT
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what guild I am IRL :(

Thayet
Re: Necromancers 05/14/2015 11:33 AM CDT
>> It's possible my skills just aren't high enough but when I tried mining it didn't move my outdoorsman very quickly at all. I think I was at it for a good ~45 minutes before I saw it reach higher mindstates and I don't recall that I ever actually locked it.

I have recently swapped from collecting to mining for outdoorsmanship. It is definitely slower than collecting, but if you optimize, it's acceptable.

Use a mining pick.
Use a good mining pick.

From what I've seen, you get exp based on digging things up. Picks let you dig faster, and a pick optimized for speed (I have the highest tier glaes one, very nice) lets you dig up lots of things quickly.

I generally make a run through a few mines and look for rares. If I find rares, I collect them with a shovel. If I don't find any, I pick a random room and use the pick to clear it out as quickly as possible. That usually locks me.
Re: Necromancers 05/14/2015 11:35 AM CDT
I'll have to check out mining again I guess. I really wasn't impressed with the experience gains I saw when I tried it last, but who knows, maybe I've since broken some threshold of skill where I can move it decently now, and it doesn't hurt to try. I can't really afford better than storebought on my toon unfortunately, so if high level materials are a requirement for good experience gains I'm out of luck.

Thayet
Re: Necromancers 05/14/2015 12:35 PM CDT
>I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what guild I am IRL :(

I did.
Re: Necromancers 05/15/2015 06:31 AM CDT
>>I can't really afford better than storebought on my toon unfortunately, so if high level materials are a requirement for good experience gains I'm out of luck.

You can get a steel pick from the a Trader's shop for around 15 plat and should work just fine. The speed difference between Society bought and a steel one is night and day, the different between steel and rare materials not so much.
Re: Necromancers 05/15/2015 08:45 AM CDT
I wouldn't personally go for a speed based pick anyway if you're worried about mining dangers.

Re: Necromancers 05/15/2015 09:51 AM CDT
>I wouldn't personally go for a speed based pick anyway if you're worried about mining dangers.

Speed based is fine if you do a prospect danger after every swing.

Don't forget to vote:

Re: Necromancers 05/15/2015 11:34 AM CDT
>>Speed based is fine if you do a prospect danger after every swing.

That can definitely be an option, but I personally felt like prospecting danger sometimes made me mine even slower, as opposed to just waiting 12-15 seconds between each type my character mined. (so if my mining RT was 8, I'd just be waiting 7 more seconds, etc).

Re: Necromancers 05/15/2015 11:58 AM CDT
Prospect danger after every swing defeats the purpose of a fast pickaxe. I prospect after every six swings, both to check that there's still minerals in the room, and to check out any dangers that haven't messaged the room yet.

So far it's worked well.
Re: Necromancers 05/15/2015 12:40 PM CDT
>I prospect after every six swings, both to check that there's still minerals in the room, and to check out any dangers that haven't messaged the room yet.

In my (limited) experience that sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Don't forget to vote:

Re: Necromancers 05/15/2015 01:31 PM CDT
>> In my (limited) experience that sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Haven't had any issues in two weeks in TF. I mine until locked every time my outdoorsmanship drops below 5/34. I am not sure if skill plays a part in avoiding dangers, but I have 825+ outdoorsmanship and perception.
Re: Necromancers 05/15/2015 03:48 PM CDT
>Haven't had any issues in two weeks in TF. I mine until locked every time my outdoorsmanship drops below 5/34. I am not sure if skill plays a part in avoiding dangers, but I have 825+ outdoorsmanship and perception.

Interesting. I haven't mined anything in a good while (at least a year) so things could have changed, but when I was it seemed that anytime I didn't wait to see if there was a danger message or do a prospect danger preemptively it was about 50/50 whether I caused a cave-in or not. I'm sure it was lower odds than that, but I had 3 cave-ins/explosions over the course of mining out about 10 rooms. And usually I either waited or did a prospect danger, just sometimes I forgot or decided to press my luck.

Don't forget to vote:

Re: Necromancers 10/07/2015 05:46 PM CDT
Were piles changed since this thread? Currently (tested on a few different characters) piles gathered anyone appear to show only the LOOKer's own guild message. Is this safe now?
Re: Necromancers 10/07/2015 05:53 PM CDT
Yep, it was fixed. If someone tries to out you by pointing to your piles you have just learned something very interesting about them.

Thayet
Twitter: @thayelf
Tumblr: thayette.tumblr.com
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page