Prev_page Previous 1 3
Stolas again... 08/28/2008 11:11 PM CDT
>I see that you expect me to treat people better than they treat me. If I had posted what Armifer had I am pretty sure it would have been labeled as disruptive. There is no need to act like I am getting the same consideration as Armifer.

Are you serious? Your posts are disrespectful, uninformed, and disruptive more often than not. Even when you have a valid point to make (such as BMR) it gets lost because of the way you present it. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm being honest.
Re: Stolas again... 08/29/2008 09:57 AM CDT
<<Are you serious? Your posts are disrespectful, uninformed, and disruptive more often than not. Even when you have a valid point to make (such as BMR) it gets lost because of the way you present it. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm being honest.

Happy troll day ...

But, in the interest of conflict I will say this. In the real world, not the make believe one of DR and Simultronics, freedom of speech is a right. You may not like what I say but I certainly have the right to say it. I am pretty old school and think that my rights end where the other persons begins. You have the right to be stupid and I have the right to call you out on it.

Political Correctness in this day and age has blinded America about reality. Myself, I'll go with truth, honor and country over PC-iness, dollar, and trying to become as fat as possible. What you do is your business as long as it does not impact me but when I am impacted you will definately know about it.

Pelag ai Aldam Stolas

You wait around impatiently for your opponent to return.
>
Galren stops the contest, admitting you are the better opponent.
Re: Stolas again... 08/29/2008 10:07 AM CDT
Did you seriously just play the "FREE SPEECH!!1" card?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Rev. Reene

"But does one ever truly have a choice? One can only match, move by move, the machinations of Fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars." -- Kain, Defiance
Re: Stolas again... 08/29/2008 10:14 AM CDT
Freedom of Speech argument on a private message board.

Yup.

-- Mozzik, the Fateweaver

Caelumia says, "I love the tools even more."
Re: Stolas again... 08/29/2008 10:19 AM CDT
::mjpopcorn::

-Strk
Re: Stolas again... 08/29/2008 10:26 AM CDT
>>Political Correctness in this day and age has blinded America about reality. Myself, I'll go with truth, honor and country over PC-iness, dollar, and trying to become as fat as possible. What you do is your business as long as it does not impact me but when I am impacted you will definately know about it.

Regardless of the fact that I agree with you on the stupidity of being Politically Correct, as Mozzik pointed out freedom of speech doesn't mean jack on a private message board
Re: Stolas again... 08/29/2008 10:58 AM CDT
Speaking your mind and being petulant are diffrent things. You sit more on the petulant side of things. You tend to approach everything with a negative, almost defeatist attitude. Maybe this isn't how it sounds to you in your head when you type out the majority of your posts, but I think I can safely say this is how it comes across to the rest of us.

You've used up a lot of if not all of your good will capitol with the people here so the responces you get now are genearaly already writing off whatever legitimate things you may have to say in your posts because no one wants to bother looking past your sour attitude about everything. You've, wether intentionaly or not, made yourself not worth it.

-Serc

"Moon Mages have already been given some of the most ridiculously powerful magic in the game, third only to Warrior Mages and Barbarians" -Armifer
Re: Stolas again... 08/29/2008 11:03 AM CDT
I would smack any child who used the freedom of speech card to their parent.

Well. I guess I'd politely ask their parent first.

Solomon, may I smack Stolas, please?

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Stolas again... 08/29/2008 12:40 PM CDT
The fact that your constitutional rights don't extend to a private message board notwithstanding, you need to reeducate yourself on the spirit of the meaning behind the "Freedom of Speech" reference. It does not mean "I can say whatever I want, whenever I want to whomever I want."

~ Sage Kougen Aensworth, Star Shaper of the Compact

Kssarh uses a night light. Not because Kssarh is afraid of the dark, but the dark is afraid of Kssarh.
Re: Stolas again... 08/29/2008 01:34 PM CDT
<<But, in the interest of conflict I will say this. In the real world, not the make believe one of DR and Simultronics, freedom of speech is a right. You may not like what I say but I certainly have the right to say it. I am pretty old school and think that my rights end where the other persons begins. You have the right to be stupid and I have the right to call you out on it.>>

These forums, however, are not the real world. They're our world. You clearly have no understanding of how the First Amendment works, but it has no bearing here.

You have a right to think you can say anything you want. We have a right to remove your privilege to post. Yes, privilege. You do not have a "right" to post and you certainly don't have a "right" to say whatever you want.

Just making sure you're clear on that.

<<What you do is your business as long as it does not impact me but when I am impacted you will definately know about it.>>

What you do on our forums or in our products is our business. Whether it impacts you or not is fully dependent on whether you need impacting which is up to you.

Solomon

"The probability of someone making a mathematical formulation on a non-mathematical subject is inversely proportional to its usefulness."
- Brust's Law of Mathematical Formulations

http://www.myspace.com/simutronicsdragonrealms
Re: Stolas again... 08/29/2008 05:44 PM CDT
>Political Correctness in this day and age has blinded America about reality. Myself, I'll go with truth, honor and country over PC-iness, dollar, and trying to become as fat as possible.

What honor is there in constantly being disrespectful?

I'm also not sure what the whole 'become as fat as possible' thing is from. My weight has nothing to do with what I bring to this forum. I rely on the weight of my arguments.
Re: Stolas again... 08/29/2008 06:30 PM CDT
>>What honor is there in constantly being disrespectful?

None but neither is there any in being overly sensitive
Re: Stolas again... 08/30/2008 11:12 PM CDT
>>None but neither is there any in being overly sensitive

I got the feeling that the original post was more about communicating effectively than being overly sensitive.

Either way, decent thread. I give it a B-. Could use some seriously derailing, some histrionics, pulled posts and a good "paying customer!" rant.

Meh. Maybe I'm too picky about my conflicts.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Stolas again... 08/31/2008 07:01 AM CDT
>>I got the feeling that the original post was more about communicating effectively than being overly sensitive.

It was seriously derailed. My comment was about JMF90's comment about Political Correctness
Re: Stolas again... 09/01/2008 05:29 PM CDT
<<Political Correctness in this day and age has blinded America about reality. Myself, I'll go with truth, honor and country over PC-iness, dollar, and trying to become as fat as possible.>>

I'd like to point out, you know, in an effort to continue the derailed conversation with another derailing (i.e., feel free to ignore this), that pursuit of the dollar is neither un-American or unethical.

You commie.
Re: Stolas again... 09/02/2008 08:23 AM CDT
<<These forums, however, are not the real world. They're our world. You clearly have no understanding of how the First Amendment works, but it has no bearing here.

When I read this, I could only wonder ... would you have the audacity to stand in front of George Washington or God and say that to their face?

Pelag ai Aldam Stolas

>
Re: Stolas again... 09/02/2008 08:24 AM CDT
I would. Does that count?

-Master Ndin
Re: Stolas again... 09/02/2008 08:31 AM CDT
>>When I read this, I could only wonder ... would you have the audacity to stand in front of George Washington or God and say that to their face?

Only if they were posting on the forums. What don't you understand about this? When you agree to the TOS you loose your first amendment rights in the forums. There's no and if's or buts about it.
Re: Stolas again... 09/02/2008 08:32 AM CDT
>>When I read this, I could only wonder ... would you have the audacity to stand in front of George Washington or God and say that to their face?

Sure however since only one them is real and he's long dead I can't :(

That being said, you realize that it all comes down to property. There is a reason why you can't scream "fire!" in a movie house. You put other people in danger and cross a line where your words are now affecting other people's property. The movie house owner is losing money, the people risk injury running from a non-burning theater, etc.

Freedom is speech has always been restricted by rights of property. Always. You can say what you like so long as no ones physical property is being affected.

- Galren

No trophy, no flowers, no flashbulbs, no wine,
Hes haunted by something he cannot define.
Bowel-shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse,
Assail him, impale him with monster-truck force
Re: Stolas again... 09/02/2008 08:48 AM CDT
Honestly. Have a little common sense. Ever notice how every restaurant ever has a sign about "we reserve the right to refuse service to anybody?" and yet no one ever gets upset over that fact? (Not that they NEED the sign to have that right). Private property. Ever wonder why people who violate NDAs don't scream "But I was just invoking the 1st..." and get off the hook? Right.

Freedom of speech is for serious stuff, to prevent the oppression of beliefs, religion, the right to critique the government etc., without fear of being thrown into a deep dark cell or worse.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

I don't see anything in there about allowing you to be a jerk without consquences. And lemme tell you, courts of law don't either.

Re: Stolas again... 09/02/2008 09:26 AM CDT
Put another way, please read. The First Amendment deals with restrictions BY Congress, not BY other people.
Re: Stolas again... 09/02/2008 10:35 AM CDT
To echo Mozzik, you may want to look up "contempt of court" and "contempt of Congress", and see for yourself how ridiculously ignorant you are.

---
"Close your eyes -
Re: Stolas again... 09/02/2008 11:42 AM CDT
With the spirit of Abe in mind, I reserve my constitutionally guaranteed right to make a jackass of myself until the GMs take away my God given right to post.
Re: Stolas again... 09/02/2008 04:16 PM CDT
Okay. Now I see what you're doing. You're looking for a rise out of people. This is a joke where you're posting progressivly more inane comments or assertions untill we all catch on and have a good chuckle at the expense of those who don't get it.

-Serc

"Moon Mages have already been given some of the most ridiculously powerful magic in the game, third only to Warrior Mages and Barbarians" -Armifer
Re: Stolas again... 09/03/2008 10:01 AM CDT
Actually, I was going more towards the moral compass needed for living in a republican and democratic enviroment. George Washington had it and is primarily the reason he stands out as a founding father. Instead of becoming a defacto king or emporer like those recently before him, ie Cromwell, The House of Orange, Washington modeled himself after classical heros like Cininatus.

I do not know about you but it says something about a leader to be known for dignity, restraint, and a reputation for republican virtue especially one who understands that "[t]he motives which predominate most human affairs are self love and self-intrest"(GW to James Madison Dec 3 1784). Since I know you are going to bring up that he was a slave owner I'll just go ahead and say that George was the only founding father to free his. Lets just say, standing up and telling old George that you can take away a persons rights when he could have taken away an entire country's would not have been received well.

As to God not exsisting ... I would just want to ask, "What happened before the big bang?" At present that is as far back as most scientists are willing to go. Everything comes from something, so where did the building blocks of atoms come from? If you could answer that you would be holding a Nobel prize and living like a rock star, especially if you could patent it. So, until I come up with a better answer I will assume intelligent design and that I am suppose to live some form of a virtuous life.

So, where was I going with the entire question of standing before GW or God and calling forth your rights of property? Where would America be if GW had stood up and said I have these rights like Cromewell and deserve to be king? Where would the world be if a hypothetical being stood up and said there is no free will and you will do only as I want?

And no I am not asking questions to get a rise out of you, I am merely asking deep probing questions that should be making you think.

Pelag ai Aldam Stolas

>
Re: Stolas again... 09/03/2008 10:24 AM CDT
Why does intelligent design imply that one should lead a life of virtue?

Why does a lack of intelligent design imply one should not?

What defines virtue?

Why is "God did it" any more of a sound answer then "we don't know" or any less of a cope out for what happened before the big bag? Or any more valid than say: http://www.fortunecity.com/emachines/e11/86/big-bang.html for an explination of what came before the big bang.

Re: Stolas again... 09/03/2008 10:44 AM CDT
>As to God not exsisting ... I would just want to ask, "What happened before the big bang?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDHJ4ztnldQ

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/

~ Sage Kougen Aensworth, Star Shaper of the Compact

Kssarh uses a night light. Not because Kssarh is afraid of the dark, but the dark is afraid of Kssarh.
Re: Stolas again... 09/03/2008 10:57 AM CDT
You forgot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk6ILZAaAMI

Re: Stolas again... 09/03/2008 11:19 AM CDT
What question does god actually answer though? If god created the universe, how did he come to be? If he always was, why couldn't the universe always be? Alternately, if he was created, why couldn't the universe be created. Ultimately, what is god but the personification of physics and history which we still don't fully understand?
Re: Stolas again... 09/03/2008 11:20 AM CDT
I am truly sorry, Stolas, but so much of the merit of what you have to say (and there is some) is so clouded by other misconceptions and non-logic, that it is beyond my power to effectively sort them out in a posting. I will have to let this one pass.
Re: Stolas again... 09/03/2008 11:24 AM CDT
Can God create a rock that even he cannot lift?

- Galren

No trophy, no flowers, no flashbulbs, no wine,
Hes haunted by something he cannot define.
Bowel-shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse,
Assail him, impale him with monster-truck force
Re: Stolas again... 09/03/2008 11:57 AM CDT
>Can God create a rock that even he cannot lift?

I'll try when I get home from work and get back to you.

Re: Stolas again... 09/03/2008 12:04 PM CDT
I find it amazing that religion is the only thing in the world that must be disproved.

"Humans evolved from monkeys." - assumed false until enough evidence is captured to prove hypothesis.

"God created humans and the Earth." - assumed true until "enough" evidence is captured to disprove.
Re: Stolas again... 09/03/2008 12:06 PM CDT
>>Where would the world be if a hypothetical being stood up and said there is no free will and you will do only as I want?

Fate is governed by the moment a thing happens, not by the occurance of that thing. We can't answer that question without making assumptions as to when it would have been made.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Stolas again... 09/03/2008 12:07 PM CDT
>>I find it amazing that religion is the only thing in the world that must be disproved.

That's only because it's the only thing in the world that can't be proved
Re: Stolas again... 09/03/2008 12:30 PM CDT
>That's only because it's the only thing in the world that can't be proved

There are an infinite number of things that can't be proven.
Re: Stolas again... 09/03/2008 12:31 PM CDT
>>There are an infinite number of things that can't be proven.

Prove it :P
Re: Stolas again... 09/03/2008 12:52 PM CDT
Stolas, since this argument has derailed so fully, and you have poked me in one of my sorest, most hate inspiring spots, I'm going to add to the noise railing against you here. This discussing, understand, is OOC, my character does not think along these lines.

Intelligent Design, is at it's core, the most insidious and backward detriment to logical thinking. It is the open and blanket admission that that which partially makes us human, our curiosity, is a moot and irrelevant point. It blandly and blithely states, "I don't know how something works, so rather then continue to strive and understand, meh, screw it, God did it... Oh, you don't like the word God? Fine, some 'Intelligent Designer' did it".

Intelligent Design takes nearly 6000 years of societal development and throws it to the wind, saying, Nah, you clever monkeys, YOU didn't do any of that, this ephemeral, vaguely described, and high dues ex machina'd DESIGNER was the one responsible. Intelligent Design takes nearly 2 BILLION years of painstaking and often failed but sometimes, SOMETIMES succeeding random, sublime selection, and says Naaaah, there's nothing remarkable about the evolution of that PERFECTLY operating protein, the Designer made it!

Intelligent Design, when taught to our science students, instead of filing them with a sense of wonder and admiration for the natural world around us, fills them with a sense of "Meh, nematocysts/rhodopsin/ATPase/mitochondria&chloroplasts/stellar nucleosynthesis/microRNA regulation/biomaterials/life cycles of stars/salinity of the oceans/BOMBARDIER BEETLES [way cool], they aren't AMAZING, they're just the way the Designer wants them."

Intelligent Design represents the death of curiosity, and to me, that means the death of one of the most valuable traits that makes us human.

/rant
Re: Stolas again... 09/03/2008 01:48 PM CDT
>>Prove it :P

I don't know about "infinite", but go look up Godel. =P

And now for Stolas,

>>I do not know about you but it says something about a leader to be known for dignity, restraint

Exercising this, instead of showing off your personal fanaticism and thoughtlessness, would be an excellent start. Do you really feel dignified? What, exactly, are you restraining yourself from doing?

You are a very poor emulation of George Washington, and I think you should go and learn more about him before you insult his name further.

>>Lets just say, standing up and telling old George that you can take away a persons rights when he could have taken away an entire country's would not have been received well.

Let's not.

Again, read the Bill of Rights. READ it. The relevant section has been quoted in this thread. Here's the Wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech

Augustus Caesar gave his empire its golden years. And to do it, he took away vast amounts of rights and upset many things. They called him a god, and he used the power they gave him.

>>As to God not exsisting ... I would just want to ask, "What happened before the big bang?"

If you have such faith that the Big Bang happened at all, then why don't you have faith that it will be explained without invocations of God?

>>Everything comes from something

Here's a deep, probing question for you: Why?

Common sense? No such thing. Push harder.

>>until I come up with a better answer I will assume intelligent design and that I am suppose to live some form of a virtuous life.

I would consider it a virtue not to make assumptions that aren't necessary or useful.

It is one thing to deliberately choose to believe in something, whether that be the hand of an angry God or the standard of character in morality and validity. It is quite another to elect something as a default and lazily fall back on it because it sounded good and you can't disprove it.

If you must believe in God, then do it because you have chosen to. Not because you don't have a better answer. That is intellectually lazy and sums up your failure of character. To arrogantly take that and ask others to heed it--a thoughtless, groundless sloth--is precisely the kind of stance that makes you unbearable.

This is not simply about your droll spirituality or your shallow political understanding: it is also about your simplistic conception of evil and of fairness. In both cases, you are just as intellectually lazy.

I believe in God. But I do not believe what you do. I am not religious; I am not spiritual. I don't need to: I thought about it, and I chose. And I still think about it.

Thomas Jefferson rewrote the Bible. What have you done?

>>Where would America be if GW had stood up and said I have these rights like Cromewell and deserve to be king?

It would be right here. Revising 200 years of history is a not an argument.

Besides, Cromwell's ideology founded the Northeast Puritan state. You knew that, right? City on a Hill? That's one of the reasons why the First Amendment includes the freedom of religion.

>>And no I am not asking questions to get a rise out of you, I am merely asking deep probing questions that should be making you think.

Your "deep, probing" questions remind me the first Matrix movie. Everyone ooh'd and aah'd and thought it was a big deal, when it was actually a pathetically simple-minded Epistemology 101. The actual heavyweight questions came in the second two movies, so of course everyone hated those.

---
"Close your eyes -
Re: Stolas again... 09/03/2008 02:02 PM CDT
While I agree with most of your post...

Uh no. We liked the first matrix because it was a good action flick with the sort of special effects never before scene. Sadly it has not aged well at all.

We hated the next two because they had huge expectations, were not ground breaking, and were generally just sub par. The third one was a freaking two hour long live action episode of Dragon Ball Z guest starring Jesus.

Prev_page Previous 1 3