Prev_page Previous 1
Herbs 06/11/2002 12:56 PM CDT
Stuff I'm remembering from the Con:

Herbs will not be able to heal what doesn't exist anymore in other words; stumps and missing parts are going to need empaths.

There'll be more herb messaging, you'll know what's being healed and when the herb stops working.

You'll be able to target applications of herbs, rub pulps and salves on multiple limbs without feeling sick to your stomach.

There maybe side effects from some herbs, like vertigo from nerve healing herbs.

Herbs will have a preferred form to be useful, (Polvik tea as is now is a very weak way of using polvik leaf) and a preferred way of using, potions to drink, salves to rub..possible overdosing from over use.

Ability to see the number of uses left on the herb, salve or potion.

Seasonal herbs - possibly some herbs only available during certain seasons,

Foraged Herbs need drying or preserving or they would decay.

Possibly rare herbs only available in one place at a specific time of day during a few days a year that would produce rare special potions.

During either the empath session or the healing session it was suggested by a player that empaths might be able to tell which herbs a patient had recently used that might still be working on his or her system.

I'm sure I missed something..Oh expect release of the initial system sometime in July, possibly end of June, but no commitment other then "real soon now".
Herbs REALLY wacky. 06/16/2002 03:12 PM CDT
This seems to be reproducing itself quite often, so I don't think it was an isolated burp in whatever system governs herbs.

When I eat an herb directly out of a container (without removing the herb from the container first), I get the tingly message and the herb pulses once without doing anything at all.

When I take out and hold the herb before eating it, everything proceeds as it normally would/should. This happened with the same herb and the only difference between the two occasions (number of wounds, where I was, et cetera) was the herb itself.

So, I just figured I'd ask... is this known/being worked on/a mystery to everyone/waiting on Substances 2.3493849 to be fixed/what?
Re: Herbs REALLY wacky. 06/16/2002 04:47 PM CDT
<<So, I just figured I'd ask... is this known/being worked on/a mystery to everyone/waiting on Substances 2.3493849 to be fixed/what? >>

I'll answer.. ..the entire substance system/alchemy system is being redone by Fial..it's in the "very soon" to be released stage.

Herbs will work in their prefered form then.

Herbs will no long work on missing body parts, you'll need an empath. Herbal potions made by empaths will have more potency. There will be eye and nerve herbs. Herbs will decay. Herbs may have side effects.

Very soon now..

He promised..
Re: Herbs REALLY wacky. 06/16/2002 09:18 PM CDT
I had a similar experience, but Fial explained why it happened. What were your wounds and what were you trying to heal?

Steel
Re: Herbs REALLY wacky. 06/16/2002 10:20 PM CDT
<<I had a similar experience, but Fial explained why it happened. What were your wounds and what were you trying to heal?

Steel >>

Had a couple internals and a bunch of scuffings (Adan'f don't play well with others). Ate a bit of yelith root inside my spidersilk sack.
Re: Herbs REALLY wacky. 06/17/2002 12:03 AM CDT
Yelith probably took all your wounds from the high end of that range to the low end of the same range.

Steel.
Re: Herbs REALLY wacky. 06/17/2002 12:05 AM CDT
<<Yelith probably took all your wounds from the high end of that range to the low end of the same range.

Steel. >>

As I said, the herb simply behaved improperly. It pulsed once and then did nothing else. I could eat it again immediately afterwards, getting the tingly message. Minute I took it out of the sack, it performed as it should. (8-10 pulses over a fairly long duration, actually fixed the slight internal leg bleeder.)

I can assure you it had nothing to do with the 'range' of a slight bleeder.
Re: Herbs REALLY wacky. 06/17/2002 12:39 AM CDT
Oh I see. That is odd.

Steel.
Re: Herbs REALLY wacky. 06/19/2002 05:17 PM CDT
Were you hiding when you took your bit of yelith? I've run into the bug you describe before.

Ryeka
Re: Herbs REALLY wacky. 06/19/2002 05:26 PM CDT
<<Were you hiding when you took your bit of yelith? I've run into the bug you describe before.

Ryeka >>

Nope.
Re: Herbs REALLY wacky. 06/19/2002 06:21 PM CDT
Hmm- Okay.

Ryeka the puzzled
Re: Herbs REALLY wacky. 06/19/2002 07:23 PM CDT
Were you in RF?
Re: Herbs REALLY wacky. 06/20/2002 12:43 AM CDT
<<Were you in RF? >>

Nope. I wasn't leaving out any important information, far's I know. I knew about the hiding+herbs bug, so if it'd been something like that I wouldn't have bothered to post it.

Was just kinda wondering if it was a known issue or a new problem, or if my character's just screwed up.

I ran into another person whose herbs were acting like some kind of mismanufactured Tyco toy, so I figure it can't be JUST me.
Herbs much less effective now 08/25/2003 11:08 PM CDT
It seems like herbs have changed from a timer system to a combined timer/total wounds healed per dose system. The result is that herbs do much less work than they used to. Anyone else notice this? And if any GM's are reading this, can something be done to give herbs back their teeth? I do love the new messaging though.
Re: Herbs much less effective now 08/26/2003 02:17 AM CDT
<<can something be done to give herbs back their teeth?>>

Maybe empaths will have a spell or manipulation ability regarding this.

Amo

_____________________________________________ "It's not easy being green." ~Kermit

Want change your colors? Send a message to: Amorisse1
Or, find more shifting empaths at: http://www.coalition.fairmount.nu
Re: Herbs much less effective now 08/26/2003 07:21 AM CDT
I believe it was said at Simucon that herbs were going to change in how they worked. Something about speeding up natural healing as opposed to doing what they used to do. Which would make them relatively ineffective for more serious wounds.

This probably isn't what's causing this, but it is something to keep in mind. Also remember that you can post over in Alchemy on the Abilities, Skills and Magic folders and probably get a faster response from Jeremael.

~Y

The Guide to the Elothean People and so much more.
http://www.bakshiloa.com/libraryindex.html
Re: Herbs much less effective now 08/26/2003 11:32 AM CDT
Some herbs are much more effective when used one way than they are when used another. For instance, yesterday a death spirit gave me a pretty nasty cut on my arm. After I killed the spirit and tended my arm, I ate a bite of jadice flower- and with the next pulse I felt much better, and I had no bleeder. I probably should eat pulps too- the yelith pulp that I rubbed on didn't have as powerful an effect. Salves, on the other hand, have to be applied.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Herbs much less effective now 08/26/2003 03:52 PM CDT
OK it actually looks like I can't use my hisan salve at all

>get hisan salve in jar
>
You get some hisan salve from inside a coiled blue firecloud clay jar etched with a sweeping curve of dragonflies which is in your traveler's backpack.
>count my salve
There's eleven parts left of the hisan salve.

>rub my hisan salve
You rub some hisan salve.

>count my salve
There's eleven parts left of the hisan salve.

No effect when I rub it... no itching.
Re: Herbs much less effective now 08/26/2003 04:12 PM CDT
>rub my hisan salve
You rub some hisan salve.

This is a pain for me too. You can't rub it anymore, it's not a verb you can use. Notice all you did was effectively RUB the HISAN SALVE. You didn't rub it..onto yourself. That's why you got no messaging, and didnt use it up.

~Asrea
Re: Herbs much less effective now 08/26/2003 05:09 PM CDT

Just to let you guys know, I read somewhere on the alchemy boards that the way sufil sap works is by eating it, not rubbing it.

Kinsmen, Steel, Stone.
www.stone-clan.com

Nin showrskilik dabru dangig kvuthen, "Derg ewn tharfe mate nin verdh suun nin kwin bowr, nin kwin bowr va nin verdh."
Herbs Healing Scars 10/12/2003 10:03 PM CDT
Sorry I didn't take the time to read through this folde first, but here's a question for y'all:

>health
Your body feels at full strength.
Your spirit feels rather shaky.
You have a severely scarred, mangled and malformed left arm, a severely scarred, mangled and malformed left leg, a severely swollen and deeply bruised right hand compounded by cuts and bruises about the right hand, a severely scarred, mangled and malformed left hand.

eat root in my haver
[Script]>You eat a portion of a cebi root.
::wait a second::
You get an itching sensation around your left arm.
You get an itching sensation around your left leg.
You get an itching sensation around your left hand.

Your spirit feels rather shaky.
You have a severely scarred, mangled and malformed left arm, a severely scarred, mangled and malformed left leg, a severely swollen and deeply bruised right hand compounded by cuts and bruises about the right hand, a severely scarred, mangled and malformed left hand.

So even after my wounds itch, they aren't any better. I eat root, wait a minute or two, get itches, check health....nothing. Wait for a while, nothing happens. Eat more root, wait a minute, get itches, check health....nothing.

I've gotten itches around 8 times now, still severely scarred, mangled, malformed.

No empaths around M'riss. Herbs really this slow or am I doing something wrong?

Tessaa
Re: Herbs Healing Scars 10/12/2003 10:05 PM CDT

The herbs aren't strong enough to handle such severe scarring.

Kinsmen, Steel, Stone.
www.stone-clan.com

Nin showrskilik dabru dangig kvuthen, "Derg ewn tharfe mate nin verdh suun nin kwin bowr, nin kwin bowr va nin verdh."
Re: Herbs Healing Scars 10/12/2003 10:08 PM CDT
That sucks. So um....I just gweth once an hour or so asking for an empath and hope eventually I get lucky?

I want to hunt <cries>.

Tessaa

P.s. Damn quick reply, thanks.
Re: Herbs Healing Scars 10/12/2003 10:11 PM CDT
<<You get an itching sensation around your left arm.
You get an itching sensation around your left leg.
You get an itching sensation around your left hand.>>

I don't know if you just didn't copy the whole message, but generally a message will follow that like "Your injuries feel much better" which is actually when they get healed. If there was no message like that, then maybe something is wrong with the herb?

You may want to consider crushing the root into pulp (if you can still do this -- I don't know how alchemy stuff works now) and rubbing it on a specific body part. That tends to, in my experience, make that part heal better and faster.

Meghan
Re: Herbs Healing Scars 10/12/2003 10:12 PM CDT
>I've gotten itches around 8 times now, still severely scarred, mangled, malformed. No empaths around M'riss. Herbs really this slow or am I doing something wrong? Tessaa

Tessa,

You're doing everything right. The scar herb just don't work well on those severe scars. I've had another empath watch mine while eating cebi or hisan to see how much I could bring them down, and I got tired of finishing the test before I ever got rid of the severe scars. You might try the specific scar herbs and see if they work any better. IE: Jadice Pollen for the external limbs.

If you don't get a chance, I'll try it tomorrow, unless someone chimes in that's already given it a whirl.

Xochi
Re: Herbs Healing Scars 10/12/2003 10:14 PM CDT
I can say from experience that doesn't work for scars that bad either. I had a storebought cebi root and a severe leg scar (chunks missing etc) that the root wouldn't touch. So I bought another one, crushed it, and applied it to the leg. Didn't work. I got one itch message for the leg each time I tried eating/applying, but it didn't improve the scar at all despite a dozen attempted applications.

- Player of Miki & Cael

>eat newssheet
Glancing around furtively, you quickly crumple the newssheet into a ball and shove it into your mouth, swallowing quickly. Now nobody will have your precious information! Mwwaahahaha!
Re: Herbs Healing Scars 10/12/2003 10:21 PM CDT
Those were some ridiculously quick responses.

Now all of you empaths come heal me on Mriss.

Cheers,
Tessaa
Re: Herbs Healing Scars 10/13/2003 05:47 PM CDT
<<Those were some ridiculously quick responses.>>

My Empaths are smart and helpful.

<<Now all of you empaths come heal me on Mriss.>>

How much are you tipping for the journey and the healing?

:::tongue in cheek:::

GM Reexa

Re: Herbs Healing Scars 10/13/2003 08:27 PM CDT
This might not help you if you're not near a herb store, otherwise...

Get y'self some jadice pollen by all means. That's the specialty for limb scars and it's more concentrated and affective on it. ; )

Hopefully, someday, empaths will use their empathy to infuse special healing powers into potions and herbs and such...then you can heal faster. Or, maybe we can create what I fondly think of as "insta'path"...just add water and Poof! an empath appears to take your wounds. (What? No, of course I'm not joking! Why would I? Sheesh. Not trusting my good intentions or what?)

<mutter>

Amo

_____________________________________________ "It's not easy being green." ~Kermit

Want change your colors? Send a message to: Amorisse1
Or, find more shifting empaths at: http://www.coalition.fairmount.nu
Re: Herbs Healing Scars 10/16/2003 01:41 PM CDT
<<maybe we can create what I fondly think of as "insta'path"...just add water and Poof! an empath appears to take your wounds.>>

And Amorrise makes the quote file. :-)

Mole

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of
evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed
to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. EAT LEADEN DEATH, DEMON!
Re: Herbs much less effective now 01/19/2004 08:36 AM CST
>><can something be done to give herbs back their teeth?>>
Especially cebi and hisan.

Life as an empath is much more tedious for me now that I have to clean up all of those scars with magic. At circle 21 I still don't have enough mana to heal up wounds and scars, too.
Re: Herbs much less effective now 01/19/2004 06:29 PM CST
Get some cambrinth . . . and it IS more tedious, but on the plus side, you get your magic ranks pretty quickly that way.
Re: Herbs much less effective now 01/23/2004 09:44 AM CST
<<can something be done to give herbs back their teeth?>>

I missed the beginning of this thread, but have you tried drying the herbs before using them? Sufil seems to respond extremely well to being dried, for one.

~ Mehathi

To anyone who might send something critical to me, this is my response:
I am sitting here in the smallest room in my house with your letter of criticism before me. Soon it will be behind me.
~ H.L. Mencken

Re: Herbs much less effective now 01/23/2004 06:55 PM CST
>Sufil seems to respond extremely well to being dried, for one.

I absolutely agree with Mehathi. From my testing, all the herbs seem to be quite a bit more potent when dried, it's most definately worth your time to break out the ole pyramid. I know that doesn't do much for hisan salve and ithor potion yet, but you can dry the foraged (and I believe the bought) cebi roots, so that adds a bit. I would speculate that eventually we'll be able to forage up the base herbs for the other 2 as well.

Kythryn
Re: Herbs much less effective now 01/23/2004 07:06 PM CST
Is the difference significant enough to even warrant me making the trip to get a pyramid? I don't like to travel, but if its much more effective I'll try it to dry it.

Posted by "that Healer of Doom, The Empath of Destruction! Yazegi!"
Re: Herbs much less effective now 01/23/2004 09:13 PM CST
<<Is the difference significant enough to even warrant me making the trip to get a pyramid? I don't like to travel, but if its much more effective I'll try it to dry it.>>

I can't speak for all herbs, but I dried some sufil sap for Drevid a while ago. He had a black and blue eye, rubbed the sufil paste, then the wounds were gone in one or two pulses. There was different messaging that neither of us had seen before. I don't know if that was random or not ... worth checking out I think.

~ Mehathi

To anyone who might send something critical to me, this is my response:
I am sitting here in the smallest room in my house with your letter of criticism before me. Soon it will be behind me.
~ H.L. Mencken

Re: Herbs much less effective now 01/23/2004 09:17 PM CST
I'll have to give that a try with yelith and cebi.

Posted by "that Healer of Doom, The Empath of Destruction! Yazegi!"
Re: Herbs much less effective now 01/24/2004 04:53 AM CST
I too can confirm that drying has a big impact on potency. I have seen recently foraged yelith and jadice flowers improve with drying quite a bit. And maybe I've accidentally discovered a new method of drying herbs as well.

I have a really really really old nemoih root in my herb pouch, that's been in there since around the time of the web migration (some of you might recall that nemoih roots were really big back then and took forever to eat). Well, I took a bite of it recently and the messaging I received was something like 'Your wounds melt away.' Most impressive! The root doesn't show as dried, just a plain nemoih root, but years of slow dessication in a pouch with countless other herbs have obviously done it some good ;) Seriously though, I guess it was just a really high quality root to begin with.
Re: Herbs much less effective now 01/24/2004 08:29 AM CST
Hmm- Looks like I need to invest in a pyramid!

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Herbs and final pulse 05/31/2007 03:06 AM CDT
Does the final pulse of an herb not show?...see below...

>health
Your spirit feels full of life.
You have a few nearly invisible scars along the right arm, a few nearly invisible scars along the left arm, a few nearly invisible scars along the back.
You have no significant injuries.

>prep esh
Since you're not feeding enough power into the spell pattern to make it coherent, you quickly work your way to the minimum required.
You close your eyes and breathe deeply, gathering energy for the External Scar Healing spell.
>charge armb 5
You harness a small amount of energy and attempt to channel it into your cambrinth armband.
The cambrinth armband absorbs about half of the energy.
Roundtime: 6 seconds.
R>focus armb
You focus your magical senses on a twisted cambrinth armband.
The cambrinth armband pulses faintly with Life energy. You reach for its center and forge a magical link to it, readying it for your use.
Roundtime: 9 seconds.
R>
You feel fully prepared to cast your spell.
>cast right arm
You gesture.
Your cambrinth armband emits a loud snap as it discharges its power to aid your spell.
You feel the spell activate, but your right arm is not damaged.
>health
Your spirit feels full of life.
You have no significant injuries.

-Initiate Empath Clemency Apollonia, an Elothean

SEND[Reexa] :::whine::: go awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Prev_page Previous 1