Prev_page Previous 1
Teaching 01/13/2006 09:30 PM CST
Ok, I have been teaching a full class for 3 hours and have only gainst like .40%. How is this fair? And I don't even think my mind stats are so horrible that would be the reason for this to be moving so slowly.

Teaching: 129 70% bewildered began at like 129.30 or something and have had a full class for almost the entire time. My mind stats are:

Strength : 21 Reflex : 15
Agility : 15 Charisma : 38
Discipline : 21 Wisdom : 22
Intelligence : 21 Stamina : 19

Anyone have any suggestions or explainations as to why learning teaching sucks so bad since i've literally been chained to the guild for 3 hours and am nearly bored to tears.

~Sindea
Re: Teaching 01/13/2006 09:53 PM CST
You're probably on a wall rank. If you're getting up to bewildered, it's certainly not the skill that's the problem. And, depending on your circle, those might not be very great mentals. Try upping wisdom--you'll see larger pulse sizes. Also, if you're mind locking teaching quickly, increase intelligence.

Why is your charisma so high, if I may ask...? I would think wisdom, intel, discipline, and stamina would be somewhat more important.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

"That is why I have chosen DR and stayed with it for 2-6 years. Time is confusing to me." -Aiwix

PS: Oh my god they're called IMs. They're not pigeons. Nor are they pidgeons or pidgions or pidgins.
Re: Teaching 01/13/2006 10:02 PM CST
For teaching, charisma matters. It matters for students, too. Try finding some students with higher charisma if the problem is that your mindstate isn't getting high enough.
Re: Teaching 01/13/2006 10:28 PM CST
<<For teaching, charisma matters. It matters for students, too. Try finding some students with higher charisma if the problem is that your mindstate isn't getting high enough.>>

Mindstate was bewildered, so I doubt that was the problem. I think the problem is low mentals and probably a wall rank.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

"That is why I have chosen DR and stayed with it for 2-6 years. Time is confusing to me." -Aiwix

PS: Oh my god they're called IMs. They're not pigeons. Nor are they pidgeons or pidgions or pidgins.
Re: Teaching 01/13/2006 11:02 PM CST
Yeah, you should definitely raise your mentals, starting with wisdom, as soon as possible by two or three points each.
Re: Teaching 01/13/2006 11:10 PM CST
By the way... Eventually, gaining 40% in three hours will become the norm, not the exception. That just happens when you get to higher ranks, sad to say. I don't want to sound cynical, but. It'll only get worse from here, sooo... Might want to grab a book and get used to it.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

Re: Teaching 01/14/2006 12:47 AM CST
Aside from your mentals, teaching can be difficult to learn, so don't expect to learn any faster on off-wall ranks. Under the same circumstances post wall it will just get to pondering instead of bewildering and you will learn at approximately the same rate.

Them's the breaks I'm afraid.

~Purehand
Re: Teaching 01/14/2006 03:49 AM CST
Ayup, teaching just sucks, period.

---
-Clemency
---
"Put your head up to my heart, hear me live and follow suit, this will all be over soon, it's gonna hurt a little." -Emberghost
Re: Teaching 01/14/2006 07:53 AM CST
I definately think that your intel and wisdom are horribly too low for what has to be your general circle. I ran into the same thing about that time and had very similar stats. I raised my wisdom and intel to 30 and haven't had problems since

Souv

xxxx is teaching a class on advanced (compared to what you already know) empathy, and there appears to be room in it. You are in this class!

Huzzah!
Re: Teaching 01/14/2006 08:44 AM CST
It just seems like other guilds don't have as many problems learning their primary skill sets. They don't have to chain themselve in a room for hours just so they can rely on other people to learn something. shrugs It seems like we should be getting some sort of bonus for teaching, we may and I'm to silly to reliaze it, if that's the case I'm sure someone will point out that's I'm silly.
Re: Teaching 01/14/2006 08:52 AM CST
<<It seems like we should be getting some sort of bonus for teaching, we may and I'm to silly to reliaze it, if that's the case I'm sure someone will point out that's I'm silly.>>

yer silly

'Lint

Dare to be Different:

You have elegant arched eyebrows, pointed ears, ale-brown eyes and a wart-tipped nose.

Missing Tooth for Free! contact AIM: Iamempres

Re: Teaching 01/14/2006 09:12 AM CST
I think there should be mechanics at Asemath or other places to lock teaching without having to hunt down that perfect class of students or PC with 500 teaching.

The teaching bonus thing too.

~Purehand
Re: Teaching 01/14/2006 09:50 AM CST
<<They don't have to chain themselve in a room for hours just so they can rely on other people to learn something. shrugs It seems like we should be getting some sort of bonus for teaching

I have to chain myself to a room for hours to learn TM. Sure, I don't have to rely on others to learn it though.

I don't get a bonus to learning any of my primary skills either.

Curse you Aquascum!

Trebber

Your mech lore ranks could care less if the paper is blue or plain.

GM XXXXXX "Well, we can't please everyone."

You say, "True, but that is no reason not to try."
Re: Teaching 01/14/2006 12:17 PM CST
every guild has to chain themselves in a room to learn their primary skill, that's why it's called a primary skill. Having played a warmie, if teaching is your major complaint, you got nothing to complain about. Try a warmie, and try to learn TM

Souv

xxxx is teaching a class on advanced (compared to what you already know) empathy, and there appears to be room in it. You are in this class!

Huzzah!
Re: Teaching 01/14/2006 01:53 PM CST
Locking TM is loads easier than locking teaching. Having played a warmie through circle 72, I could lock targetting EASILY post-wall, whereas doing the same with teaching is impossible.

---
-Clemency
---
"Put your head up to my heart, hear me live and follow suit, this will all be over soon, it's gonna hurt a little." -Emberghost
Re: Teaching 01/14/2006 02:57 PM CST
<<Locking TM is loads easier than locking teaching. Having played a warmie through circle 72, I could lock targetting EASILY post-wall, whereas doing the same with teaching is impossible.

Hmmm, interesting. Secondary lore and only teaching one student.

Teaching: 902 76% dazed

And no, I am not making this up and it is in prime and not TF.

Trebber

Re: Teaching 01/14/2006 10:13 PM CST
<<Teaching: 902 76% dazed

Ok thats just sick! And in prime no less.

Mole
_______
When it crosses my mind to do something, I don't ask why, I ask why not. And usually theres no reason not to, so I just go ahead.
Its given me the strangest collection of hats.
Re: Teaching 01/14/2006 10:28 PM CST
>Teaching: 902 76% dazed

Trebber... your fortitude is astounding.

Search the DR Forums - http://www.freepgs.com/drsearch
Re: Teaching 01/15/2006 09:21 AM CST
The problem is finding a student of that caliber to teach.

~Purehand
Re: Teaching 01/15/2006 09:31 AM CST
Explain exactly how the student/teacher/charisma thing is supposed to work?
Re: Teaching 01/15/2006 10:40 AM CST
well let's trade ideas Clemency, because I can't get my warmie to lock TM and my empath can lock it within 5 minutes.

Teaching is easy. Teach as many people as you can, don't keep switching subjects, teach low and high skill levels alike, teach something you know a lot about

Souv

Huzzah!
Re: Teaching 01/15/2006 12:48 PM CST
As a warmie CL always locked TM very quickly. Specific body-part targetted, high-mana casts worked well too...I always hunted way above my level and just kept YS, SuF, and the like up.

I can't lock teaching even if I teach 4 Elothean Empaths teaching, so I dunno...I don't even get close. Sometimes its as bad as staying at pondering.

---
-Clemency
---
Re: Teaching 01/15/2006 01:57 PM CST
well I'm too young of circle to have CL, so what did you do before 40th?

As for your teaching... you're overanalyzing it. Remember Risk v reward applies not only to combat, but to other skills too. Try teaching people who aren't your race and guild. I personally am a human empath. I teach on a regular basis, an elven ranger, an elven moon mage, a prydaen empath, and an elven cleric. Again, I have no problems learning. In fact, I'm about 20 circles ahead on teaching.

Souv

Huzzah!
Re: Teaching 01/15/2006 07:18 PM CST
<<Locking TM is loads easier than locking teaching. Having played a warmie through circle 72, I could lock targetting EASILY post*-*wall, whereas doing the same with teaching is impossible.

>Hmmm, interesting. Secondary lore and only teaching one student.

>Teaching: 902 76% dazed

>And no, I am not making this up and it is in prime and not TF.

>Trebber

This only highlights the difference in learning between secondary and primary skillsets. It is a lot easier to lock a secondary skill post-wall than it is to lock a primary skill post-wall, which is what Clem is talking about. But I agree that 900 ranks is very impressive ;)
Re: Teaching 01/15/2006 09:07 PM CST
<<This only highlights the difference in learning between secondary and primary skillsets. It is a lot easier to lock a secondary skill post-wall than it is to lock a primary skill post-wall, which is what Clem is talking about.

While I will agree with you on locking a secondary skill faster than a primary skill, I would like to point out it was from teaching only one student instead of having a full class of 7.

Trebber

Re: Teaching 01/15/2006 11:21 PM CST
Trebber, that is not a situation that can be replicated with regularity for the lore prime masses and you know it.

It's not like there is a teaching-ground where we can go every time and know that it spawns 3 students per teacher that can lock us in teaching between x and y ranks.

Teaching is a sub-par system that makes acheiving optimal learning rates by lore prime guilds extremely elusive.

End of story.

~Purehand
Re: Teaching 01/16/2006 12:20 AM CST
Bookaka el da la la eats er fla en la la per say la ha la.

- Illcram The Evil Empath

P.S. I've been drinking.
Re: Teaching 01/16/2006 03:12 AM CST
>Bookaka el da la la eats er fla en la la per say la ha la.

That reminds me of an excerpt from this one eminem song...

---
-Clemency
---
Re: Teaching 01/16/2006 05:57 PM CST
yeah what Illcram said

Souv

Huzzah!
Re: Teaching 01/16/2006 08:28 PM CST
>While I will agree with you on locking a secondary skill faster than a primary skill, I would like to point out it was from teaching only one student instead of having a full class of 7.

I didn't mean to belittle the achievement, and I have no doubt that with the right student you can lock it primary as well. But I am curious about where that one student falls in terms of circle and charisma.
Re: Teaching 01/16/2006 08:56 PM CST
<<I didn't mean to belittle the achievement, and I have no doubt that with the right student you can lock it primary as well. But I am curious about where that one student falls in terms of circle and charisma.

Teacher: circle 117, charisma 44
Student: circle 108, charisma 35

Trebber

Re: Teaching 01/16/2006 10:20 PM CST
If any of you ever need a student and are in the Haven or Shard areas, my characters would be happy to volunteer. My moon mage's charisma is better than Trebber's student, and her scholarship isn't bad either. My empath just constantly needs classes.
Re: Teaching 01/16/2006 10:21 PM CST
Er, it'd help to tell you how to contact me, eh? IM is Leezerbeee, or you can find Leika or Tyorti in game. They both have gweths, though they don't always pay attention to them.
Re: Teaching 01/16/2006 10:41 PM CST
<<If any of you ever need a student and are in the Haven or Shard areas, my characters would be happy to volunteer. My moon mage's charisma is better than Trebber's student, and her scholarship isn't bad either. My empath just constantly needs classes.

Ahh, I want to make a slight correction from what I have been reading. Bosir (Human) is the teacher, Trebber (Elothean) is the student. Both warrior mages.

Trebber

Re: Teaching 01/16/2006 11:20 PM CST
I'll try that Souv, I was apparentely working off mis-information. I was told that I would learn best teaching someone of the same guild/race. Oops.

---
-Clemency
---
Re: Teaching 01/16/2006 11:49 PM CST
<<Teacher: circle 117, charisma 44
<<Student: circle 108, charisma 35

My real question apart from the charisma of the parties involved is, whats the scholarship of both, and whats the skill being taught? Is it teaching? If so, whats the students skill in it as well?

What I've heard, is that the relative scholarship, as well as skill levels between student and teacher effects the amount being learned, perhaps to an even greater extent then does charisma. Am curious if this is actually true or not.

Mole
_______
When it crosses my mind to do something, I don't ask why, I ask why not. And usually theres no reason not to, so I just go ahead. Its given me the strangest collection of hats.
Re: Teaching 01/17/2006 06:23 AM CST
<<My real question apart from the charisma of the parties involved is, whats the scholarship of both, and whats the skill being taught? Is it teaching? If so, whats the students skill in it as well?

Teacher: Scholarship: 574 17%
Student: Scholarship: 326 14%

As far as what skill is being taught, teaching locks up with any skill taught, whether it is primary or tertiary, within 10 ranks or 110 ranks.

Trebber

Re: Teaching 01/17/2006 12:51 PM CST
Good to know Trebber, thanks for posting all that information, is very helpful.

Mole
_______
When it crosses my mind to do something, I don't ask why, I ask why not. And usually theres no reason not to, so I just go ahead. Its given me the strangest collection of hats.
Re: Teaching 01/17/2006 01:31 PM CST
<<Good to know Trebber, thanks for posting all that information, is very helpful.

No worries, my friend. You could even send me IMs with your questions.

... though I have never been the shy kind and have no trouble posting ranks or stats on the boards. It is a game, after all.

Trebber

Re: Teaching 01/17/2006 03:16 PM CST
I was teaching a 90+ trader, two 60+ empaths, a 40+ thief and a 50+ war mage for an hour or so. I was on a mid wall cycle rank and I never got above very muddled. So conservitively there is well over 100 charisma, 300 circles, 700 scholarship in my class and I'm not seeing the returns. I'm sure Bosir locks his teaching on one student, but the circumstances under which something like that happens do not occur often enough to be a viable training method. I have gone through over 300 ranks and trained 40 charisma since I have locked teaching off of one student.

~Purehand
Prev_page Previous 1