Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Teaching 01/17/2006 03:28 PM CST
If scholarship plays as big a role as I suspect it does, then that may be a factor. Keep in mind that traders don't need scholarship except to meet general lore reqs, 60th circle empaths may not even have 200 scholarship, and the others, probably have even less. Just something to consider. I don't think circle plays any role at all in determining whether you learn from teaching or not.

Mole
_______
When it crosses my mind to do something, I don't ask why, I ask why not. And usually theres no reason not to, so I just go ahead. Its given me the strangest collection of hats.
Re: Teaching 01/18/2006 08:06 AM CST
Without splitting hairs over exact ranks and stats, my point is that if someone with 900 in teaching can lock off of one 100+ circle student with 330 scholarship, I would think the class that I described in the previous post should lock me even on a post wall rank. Unless one of the empaths and the trader had less than 300 scholarship combined I know for a fact there was at least 700 scholarship in that class.

My lore secondary character can lock teaching by just teaching me (290 scholarship, high 40's charisma) on most ranks, but that sure doesn't help my lore prime character out. Post wall ranks are where your primary skill-set really seperates from the others and it is very difficult to take advantage of that increased learning rate when it comes to teaching.

I'm sure the circumstances exist to lock my empath post wall with one student. But the caliber of student that those circumstances require isn't available to a degree that I, let alone an entire guild, can rely on them in any way as a training method.

Anyway, the moral of the story is I hate teaching.

~Purehand
Re: Teaching 01/18/2006 12:15 PM CST
<<Anyway, the moral of the story is I hate teaching.

Hey, you won't get any arguement about that from me. Stupid skill requires huge amount of effort to improve, for no real use. Oooh, I can potentially teach another student, who won't give me any additional teaching...

As far as I'm concerned, once you hit say 300 teaching, you should never, ever, ever need any more!

Mole
_______
When it crosses my mind to do something, I don't ask why, I ask why not. And usually theres no reason not to, so I just go ahead. Its given me the strangest collection of hats.
Re: Teaching 01/18/2006 12:55 PM CST
Agreed.

~Purehand
Re: Teaching 01/18/2006 02:19 PM CST
>>As far as I'm concerned, once you hit say 300 teaching, you should never, ever, ever need any more!

It makes for a nice use of time when power-walking. And if you have a group with you, powerwalking becomes even easier to do because you no longer have to rely on fixed population centers.

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Teaching 01/18/2006 05:09 PM CST
>As far as I'm concerned, once you hit say 300 teaching, you should never, ever, ever need any more!

I'd like to see teaching removed completely and whatever teaching ranks you have go into Lore Skill of Your Choice. The new lores of course.
I've never liked teaching...

Search the DR Forums - http://www.freepgs.com/drsearch
Re: Teaching 01/18/2006 05:49 PM CST
There have been a few really nice ideas thrown out there over the years on how to make teaching more enjoyable/useful, hopefully some of them are in the pipeline. I'm personally waiting for player-created textbooks to come out (not holding breath ;) ).
Re: Teaching 01/21/2006 07:08 PM CST
My rule is to have intel, wisdom, and discipline to 30 by 50.
Re: Teaching 01/21/2006 08:45 PM CST
>>I'll try that Souv, I was apparentely working off mis-information. I was told that I would learn best teaching someone of the same guild/race. Oops.<<

Definately not true in my experience. Now... when LISTENING a class, you will learn better with same guild/same race. that's definately true, but on teaching... diversity is the key

Souv

xxxx is teaching a class on advanced (compared to what you already know) empathy, and there appears to be room in it. You are in this class!

Huzzah!
Re: Teaching empathy 01/30/2008 12:22 PM CST
>Purehand is the worst empath ever. He's horrible at healing and only is good for leaving and letting his avenger loose on the people at Willow Walk.

This is more or less accurate.

~Purehand

You feel that for the moment you've learned all you can about harming shopkeepers.
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page