Prev_page Previous 1
Rude Empaths 05/20/2009 07:34 PM CDT
I don't want to derail the other thread, so I'll just post this here.

The Empaths who were there did ask nicely, but they were threatened with death and insulted up one side and down the other.

Mikiri says, "Everyone blows boxes sometimes."
Mikiri says, "Shouldn't pop 'em in here."
Zameo says, "Well allow me be the first to say, i would be honored to be the one to hurl shrapnel into your face in the next few rois"

He was then removed.

Your mind hears Kenoselaris thinking, "ill use the arch before i pay an empath for healing, its pathetic that dey wanna charge for a service dey make good tips from"
(removed)
Your mind hears Kenoselaris thinking, "and for voicing that on the gweth szrael kicked me from da guild, i wish da gods would slap her around fer abusing dat ability"
You hear your mental voice echo, If you're going to hang out in the Empath guild, you ought to be at least a teeny bit polite to the Empaths there.
Your mind hears Kenoselaris thinking, "shove that somewhere szrael an oppinion is no reason to kick someone from da guild"

Kenoselaris has also attacked Szrael in the past, and insulted her in various ways, so she has very little tolerance for him. The same is true for Mikiri, who he has also threatened to kill.

This next fellow showed up after Mikiri was gwething that she was trying to stop people from opening boxes in the Empath guild, seemingly in an attempt to cause trouble.

Kiluminati just arrived.
(starts to open boxes)
You ask Kiluminati, "Would you mind doing that outside?"
You say, "Lest you kill us all."
Kiluminati says, "I'm certain that wont happen."
You say, "Well, I'm not."
Mikiri says, "so we will ask you nicely to step outside and do it please."
You say, "Indeed, it would be very obliging of you to do that elsewhere."
You say, "And we would be ever so grateful."
(Time passes. He holds a box and shakes it at Szrael).
You show Kiluminati your crimson-scale belt.
You say, "This is the last person who crossed me."
Kiluminati asks, "Was that some sort of lesser rodent?"
You say, "No, it was a S'Kra Mur."
Kiluminati says, "Right."
You say, "I also made a hat."
(random talking)
Kiluminati says, "Let what, you were in zero danger."
Mikiri says, "we have no way of knowing that."
Kiluminati says, "Unless you threaten to skin me again."
Kiluminati says, "Then you will be." (Fair enough, but he was moved by other Empaths at this point. I would probably have let it slide, but eh.)
Your mind hears Kiluminati thinking, "When did a couple extremelly rude and vulgar empaths move into empaths guild?"

There wasn't that much extreme rudeness or vulgarity in any of those cases. People just refuse to act respectfully toward Empaths in the Empath guild. People seem to feel that being healed and hanging out in the Empath guild is an inalienable right, not a privilege that they enjoy.

If multiple Empaths politely make a reasonable request, it shouldn't be a huge deal to oblige them. Instead, people seem to immediately take offense and almost always come back with a response that amounts to, "Make me."

Szrael and many other Empaths are quite willing to make them.

Throwing people out for no reason at all is one thing, but punishing people for rudeness and death threats is something else. In any case, the Empath mechanics are not like the Cleric ones, so someone who is removed will only be mildly inconvenienced for a few hours, at which point they can enjoy the Empath guild once again, happily endangering everyone in the area with their boxes. Needlessly scrolling like mad, and littering all over the ground when a bucket is right there. I suggested that the Empath Guild infirmary's no-box mechanic be extended to the Main Room because it would solve a lot of those problems and would mean less drama in the guildhall. For what it's worth, I don't enjoy that sort of stuff either.

-- Player of Szrael --
Re: Rude Empaths 05/20/2009 07:59 PM CDT
>>I suggested that the Empath Guild infirmary's no-box mechanic be extended to the Main Room because it would solve a lot of those problems and would mean less drama in the guildhall.

Until you decide something else bothers you, and you create more drama.

Today it's boxes, tomorrow it's juggling, and the next day it's casting.

>>I need 12 million for my sprained eyes, your honor!

~Nitish

"Like the moons, so is the perfect self - Calm and moving in a sea that is free of obstruction."
Re: Rude Empaths 05/20/2009 08:19 PM CDT
>>Today it's boxes, tomorrow it's juggling, and the next day it's casting.

Anything that can potentially hurt people in a place of healing seems like a good idea to remove when possible. Not sure how to hurt others with juggling though...
Re: Rude Empaths 05/20/2009 09:01 PM CDT
empath guildhall is not where you come to afk script your boxes, juggle or fold while listening to a class, and other than the cleric guild (and on a much smaller scale there) it is the ONLY guild that people seem to think that is appropriate to do.

not sure how it is rude to ask people to not do these things. i have dragged people into the infirmary or library and/or slept them when they are obviously not interacting with the people around them, but, honestly, the afk scroll is one of the main reasons i hardly ever go in there. it is amazing how it is "rude" for empaths to not want people to clutter up thier guild.
Re: Rude Empaths 05/20/2009 09:51 PM CDT
And now it's dead people not belonging in the empath guild.

Mikiri says, "corpses go to clerics."
Kabalos says, "Corpses need to be healed."
You hear the ghostly voice of Sud say, "Mikiri dragged me to the provincial empath after a good somaritan, who has my weapon, dragged me here for help"
Mikiri says to Kabalos, "corpses ain't sanitary. empaths will go to clerics to heal corpses. please don't bring him in again."

Are you serious? Anything for a bit of drama. I guess you really are just that bored (and pathetic).
Re: Rude Empaths 05/20/2009 09:54 PM CDT
Ilthea, right? Maybe you are lucky we aren't throwing your commentary into this thread too.

As an aside, Miki's done that ever since I rolled the character up seven years ago. This isn't exactly new stuff.

Rev. Reene

The black panther growls, "Are you blind Tachid? Kill Caelumia."
>
Tachid says, "SHE HAS BLUE FIRE"
Re: Rude Empaths 05/20/2009 09:55 PM CDT
>>And now it's dead people not belonging in the empath guild.

>>Are you serious? Anything for a bit of drama. I guess you really are just that bored (and pathetic).

It really is pointless to drag them there and makes more work for the dragger. A dead person is not going to get any clerical help there. The holy mana is just plain horrible. It makes more sense to drag them directly to the cleric guild. There's often empaths that hang out there and if there's not there's always one or three that are willing to come heal a body if someone gweths

Cute verbs and speaking from hiding are excellent ways to catch a lightning bolt in the face regardless of mystical ninja abilities.

-Armifer
Re: Rude Empaths 05/20/2009 10:11 PM CDT
>Mikiri says to Kabalos, "corpses ain't sanitary. empaths will go to clerics to heal corpses. please don't bring him in again."

Lol. This is why it takes two empaths to kick someone out. You'd sit there booting people all day.
Re: Rude Empaths 05/20/2009 10:14 PM CDT
It's not really hard for me personally to get a second empath around. All I really have to do is IM a friend, if that was the point.

The Empath removal system is outdated, and should get an update and makeover like other guilds have had.

Rev. Reene

>
Re: Rude Empaths 05/20/2009 10:28 PM CDT
I personally don't care (and neither does Szrael) if people bring corpses to the Empath guild.

It's sort of illogical, but meh. If people want to waste time then that's up to them.

As long as the corpse doesn't make a nuisance of itself -- but a nuisance is a nuisance, dead or alive.

-- Player of Szrael --

You grip the oversized book hanging from your leather belt and survey the area with a hint of malice in your eyes.

With a violent cross-body motion, you draw your oversized book.
Re: Rude Empaths 05/20/2009 10:32 PM CDT
>It's not really hard for me personally to get a second empath around. All I really have to do is IM a friend, if that was the point.

Well we know you aren't shy about abusing mechanics with other people's characters.

>The Empath removal system is outdated, and should get an update and makeover like other guilds have had.

Getting banned from the empath guild is a much harsher penalty than removal from the ranger guild.
Re: Rude Empaths 05/20/2009 10:33 PM CDT
>> Getting banned from the empath guild is a much harsher penalty than removal from the ranger guild.

I was thinking Clerics actually. Arguably worse, since there are no auto-rejuvers.

And using REMOVE to kick people out isn't mechanics abuse. It isn't any kind of abuse, period. I think I just made that point in the other thread though.

Rev. Reene

>
Re: Rude Empaths 05/20/2009 10:35 PM CDT
>And using REMOVE to kick people out isn't mechanics abuse. It isn't any kind of abuse, period. I think I just made that point in the other thread though.

If you're kicking people out for being dead, you're just trying to cause problems.
Re: Rude Empaths 05/20/2009 10:36 PM CDT
I didn't REMOVE the corpse, I told them to take it to Clerics (which makes sense) and dragged it outside when both of them got snotty (which wasn't included in the log that got pasted).

I should start logging things on my Empath, it seems I need to.

Rev. Reene

>
Re: Rude Empaths 05/20/2009 10:38 PM CDT
>I should start logging things on my Empath, it seems I need to.

Maybe you should just log everything? That's what I do.
Re: Rude Empaths 05/20/2009 10:43 PM CDT
It never occurred to me before, since I hadn't taken an honest stab at playing an Empath versus playing a healing mule for a long time.

I'm having fun lately playing an Empath oddly enough. People will naturally assume it's purely OOC griefing whenever something they don't like happens, but that's how it's always been with Empaths. Seven years doesn't actually change a lot.

Rev. Reene

>
Re: Rude Empaths 05/20/2009 11:38 PM CDT
>>People will naturally assume it's purely OOC griefing whenever something they don't like happens, but that's how it's always been with Empaths. Seven years doesn't actually change a lot.

I concur.

To steal from the euphemism, there is no 'I' in Dragonrealms.

Nikpack
player of more than I should list

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: Rude Empaths 05/20/2009 11:45 PM CDT
>>There is no I in dragonrealms...

But there is a Grandma Loser, Marred Slogan, Raged Normals and a Read: Lags Norm.

Among other things.

-- Player of Szrael --

You grip the oversized book hanging from your leather belt and survey the area with a hint of malice in your eyes.

Re: Rude Empaths 05/20/2009 11:51 PM CDT
>> But there is a Grandma Loser, Marred Slogan, Raged Normals and a Read: Lags Norm.

Ahahaha.

Rev. Reene

>
Re: Rude Empaths 05/21/2009 09:06 AM CDT
Pulling this back to the original topic for a moment, I completely agree with Szrael. If you are in the Empath guild, respect the Empaths. Its their guild. The infirmary and the main room are primarily places to heal, and places to socialize secondary. If a non-Empath's training or box opening is disrupting those activities, Empaths have a right to ask them to stop, and to enforce that if it is ignored. If you don't like it, go somewhere else.

While on this subject, why did all the healing move to the main room? The mana is way better in the infirmary, and box opening is already not allowed... I pretty much never heal in the main room anymore, even if it means I get far fewer patients. Just too much scroll (like healing doesn't generate enough scroll as it is).

Murithi
Re: Rude Empaths 05/21/2009 09:21 AM CDT
>>While on this subject, why did all the healing move to the main room?

Probably because of the box picking, heh

Cute verbs and speaking from hiding are excellent ways to catch a lightning bolt in the face regardless of mystical ninja abilities.

-Armifer
Re: Rude Empaths 05/21/2009 09:26 AM CDT
its their guild, they can set the rules, but that being said, its missing the flavor it used to have when DR was starting.

many a locksmith, myself included, used to pop our boxes in the empath guild precisely so if we got hurt, lost a hand, got poisoned <needle in those days, wasn't area>, we could get healed right there. Just like the room in front of the crate in Haven for the same reason.

Although I still do pick with my empath around, although its very very rare that i blow a trap these days, there's places that have good mana for her, and additionally far less scroll for both of us. I never did have my empath hang out at the guild very much, too much scroll.

It's a number, it gets bigger. That's the whole DR experience right there
Re: Rude Empaths 05/21/2009 09:43 AM CDT
>>why did all the healing move to the main room? The mana is way better in the infirmary

The mana is only better in the infirmary until you can start pulling from adjacent rooms.

So the infirmary is much better for low level Empaths, but the main room is better higher ones. Maybe the balance shifts back to the infirmary again with higher PP; I'm not sure. Mingold claimed the mana was better in the main room, at least, and she's pretty skilled magic wise I'm sure.

I tried for a while to get people to move back into the infirmary, but no luck.

-- Player of Szrael --

Re: Rude Empaths 05/21/2009 09:47 AM CDT
>>many a locksmith, myself included, used to pop our boxes in the empath guild precisely so if we got hurt, lost a hand, got poisoned <needle in those days, wasn't area>, we could get healed right there. Just like the room in front of the crate in Haven for the same reason.

But they'd do it in the main room while the empaths were in the infirmary.

I'll run down to xing with my TF empath tonight and see what the mana is in the two rooms with 850+ PP

-Armifer
Re: Rude Empaths 05/21/2009 11:39 AM CDT
>>Just like the room in front of the crate in Haven for the same reason.

Which is outside the empath guild, no?

~Arwinia

The Empath spellbook is a riddle trapped in an enigma hidden inside a lot of suck.-Armifer
Re: Rude Empaths 05/21/2009 03:32 PM CDT
Infirmary:
You reach out with your senses and see shining streams of Life energy coursing through the area.

Main Room:
You reach out with your senses and see luminous streams of Life energy coursing through the area.

Power Perceive: 677 51.63% bewildering
Re: Rude Empaths 05/21/2009 03:54 PM CDT
>I suggested that the Empath Guild infirmary's no-box mechanic be extended to the Main Room because it would solve a lot of those problems and would mean less drama in the guildhall. For what it's worth, I don't enjoy that sort of stuff either.

Yes let's take any and all conflict out of an RP driven game (see outside WM guild for perfect example). /sarcasm

Player of too many, even an empath

...if you stick around long enough you will find that the only way you can quit DR is by going to a drug rehab and convincing them you are there for some reason other than trying to quit a txt based rpg. - Ragran!
Re: Rude Empaths 05/21/2009 04:14 PM CDT
>>Yes let's take any and all conflict out of an RP driven game (see outside WM guild for perfect example

People who are booted from the Empath guild very frequently do not respond in an IC fashion. (read: they report or immediately break character and start going on about "the gods")

I don't find that kind of interaction edifying, and the fact that so many people respond to being kicked out (for whatever reason) by reporting makes me think that they don't find it edifying either.

Additionally, since some of my complaints about the box-opening in there are OOC (massive scroll), it isn't really even possible to discuss it in purely RP terms.

Conflict is great and all, but it should at least make a stab at being fun or at least reasonable for all parties involved. I don't find the consultation suite fun, and clearly others don't find being slept or booted or killed fun, or they wouldn't use report as a response to the interaction.

Another approach to possibly solving this would be to massively increase the mana in the Infirmary, leaving the no-box mechanic in place there, and let the box poppers hang out in the main room as they do now. Not that going outside should be a huge deal, but whatever. That's another way to deal with this issue. I would like to break up the crowd in the Empath guild more, since it would help a lot scroll-wise. (Note: My gags file is 600 lines, but I'd rather not have to squelch the entire game to enjoy it.)

-- Player of Szrael --

Re: Rude Empaths 05/21/2009 04:20 PM CDT
>>Another approach to possibly solving this would be to massively increase the mana in the Infirmary,

Actually that would only make the mana in the main room better. You would need to remove the mana from the library and guild leader's rooms to revert the situation, or allow the infirmary to sense the "Empath Only" room as well.
Re: Rude Empaths 05/21/2009 04:59 PM CDT
>People who are booted from the Empath guild very frequently do not respond in an IC fashion. (read: they report or immediately break character and start going on about "the gods")

Well the problem is, there isn't really another way to respond. I mean, the empaths that boot you remain inside, and you can't get back in. Not to defend reporting, but I can certain see why it would happen a lot in that situation.
Re: Rude Empaths 05/21/2009 05:01 PM CDT
>> Well the problem is, there isn't really another way to respond.

Go do something else for two hours? Empath removal is really no different from any other removal system as far as ways to respond go.

It is nowhere near as broken as the Cleric removal system is either. Two hours is nothing. Try 60 days.

Rev. Reene

>
Re: Rude Empaths 05/21/2009 05:27 PM CDT
Reene, you're a freaking broken record with the Cleric guild removal mechanics. We get it, you don't like them

-Armifer
Re: Rude Empaths 05/21/2009 05:33 PM CDT
This is a thread about broken records tbqh.

Rev. Reene

>
Re: Rude Empaths 05/21/2009 05:34 PM CDT
>>Well the problem is, there isn't really another way to respond.

I don't really follow. I can think of a dozen possible responses and none of them involve the report verb.

And, of course, booting someone doesn't grant consent. So there's no real reason the person would need to physically get to the Empath, assuming the Empath is closed or guarded like so many are. If they want to communicate to the Empath or let the world know what a rude person s/he is, there are gweths. I know someone yesterday insulted one of the booting Empaths on the gweths, then gwethsmashed her when she responded. I thought that was a pretty awesome tactic myself. (This was also one of the few people involved who seemed as though he could RP his way out of a paper bag.)

I do bring Szrael outside to give people a chance to get even, but I wouldn't blame anyone for failing to do this, since technically there's nothing to get even about.

-- Player of Szrael --

Re: Rude Empaths 05/21/2009 06:42 PM CDT
<<I do bring Szrael outside to give people a chance to get even, but I wouldn't blame anyone for failing to do this, since technically there's nothing to get even about.>>

I understand the purpose of removing someone when they are disturbing people within their guildhalls. However, in a game where actions lead to repercussions, it does seem out of place that there is no consent involved in removing someone else from a guildhall.

- Simon
Re: Rude Empaths 05/21/2009 06:43 PM CDT
>I understand the purpose of removing someone when they are disturbing people within their guildhalls. However, in a game where actions lead to repercussions, it does seem out of place that there is no consent involved in removing someone else from a guildhall.

I couldn't have said it better myself. However, this is a larger issue than then empath removal mechanics.
Re: Rude Empaths 05/21/2009 06:46 PM CDT
I can see both sides of the issue enough that I can understand why they would just simplify the policy into "removing doesn't grant consent" even if I think it's stupid in some situations.

Sometimes removing should grant consent, sometimes it shouldn't. It's probably easier to paint the whole thing with the same brush.

Rev. Reene

>
Re: Rude Empaths 05/21/2009 07:18 PM CDT
Let's suppose removing someone grants consent.

If someone removes someone from a guildhall because the remover was just hanging out trying to enjoy themselves, couldn't they technically be breaking policy if they don't go outside to allow the person to kill them? That's sort of counter to the whole purpose of the removal mechanic.

Assuming good faith on their part (yeah, I know), the remover just wants to enjoy their guildhall, but now they have to go outside and take a death because someone else was being a nuisance and got booted.

Maybe some modified version of consent could apply. I know for the Empath guild at least, booting anyone would mean certain death for almost all Empaths, especially if they were obliged by policy to immediately go outside and take one on the chin.

Szrael is open so it's not a problem for me, but I wonder what the consequences would be for others.

-- Player of Szrael --

Re: Rude Empaths 05/21/2009 08:15 PM CDT
<<If someone removes someone from a guildhall because the remover was just hanging out trying to enjoy themselves, couldn't they technically be breaking policy if they don't go outside to allow the person to kill them? That's sort of counter to the whole purpose of the removal mechanic.>>

I think people make too much out of policy then what it should be. To clarify, if you negatively affect my character, I should have the option to come after you to seek retribution. Usually throughout the game, this follows form, but not in this instance.

Think of it from the reasoning of for "every action, there is an equal reaction." I'm not saying to go outside and get yourself attempted to be killed. However, if you removed someone from your own guildhall, you were the one that removed that individual and should accept your actions that you've done. This doesn't just go for removal of someone from a guild, but any action done. You make an action and you should accept the consequences whether it is good, bad or mixed in perception of others.

<<Assuming good faith on their part (yeah, I know), the remover just wants to enjoy their guildhall, but now they have to go outside and take a death because someone else was being a nuisance and got booted.>>

If someone makes an action, then they should accept the repercussions. Do Empaths want to be coddled or not coddled? Which?

<<Szrael is open so it's not a problem for me, but I wonder what the consequences would be for others.>>

I want you to understand Szrael that this isn't about you or Reene. You both are more then adequately experienced in this game to understand how to play things through.

- Simon
Re: Rude Empaths 05/21/2009 08:26 PM CDT
To be frank I keep bringing up the consent thing because while it bothers me for the reasons Simon stated succinctly I can't think of a way to write a policy for it that would make sense.

It seems to be treated the same as ACCUSE, is the thing. I think this is because the original intent of REMOVE was more in line with what ACCUSE does - it's a way of nonviolently dealing with people who are being conflictual and disruptive, in this case by removing them from your turf. However, as time went on, GMs realized that to moderate usage of REMOVE would be impossible and require more GM-hours than was wise or sane, so they decreed that you can REMOVE someone from your guild for any reason or no reason at all. While I do think this was a good decision, it does create consent issues that are not easy to address.

I'm afraid I don't really have a solution. I think a nonconflictual Empath (or Ranger or Cleric or whatever) should absolutely have the right to remove someone who is being legitimately disruptive from their guild without having to deal with a recourse - much the same way you can choose to deal with a pickpocket by ACCUSING them. However, in the cases where REMOVE is used frivolously, I do see and agree with the case for consent being granted. But how do you separate the two? I don't know how to go about writing a policy for that, and I think trying to do so would be a bigger pain than it's worth.

Rev. Reene

>
Prev_page Previous 1