Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 02:23 PM CDT
>>But if you want to play CNN with the log, please keep it to yourself.

Enjoy unedited log of healing + you from the time you stepped in to the time you left.

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dhhtrvbx_9gvsgqxff
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 02:25 PM CDT
Please tell me the name is not really Necrojill

~Arwinia

The Empath spellbook is a riddle trapped in an enigma hidden inside a lot of suck.-Armifer
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 02:30 PM CDT
>> Please tell me the name is not really Necrojill

I am afraid I cannot in good conscience oblige you ma'am.

-- Player of Szrael --

You grip the oversized book hanging from your leather belt and survey the area with a hint of malice in your eyes.

With a violent cross-body motion, you draw your oversized book.
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 02:30 PM CDT
I'm not able to see how Szrael's behavior got her in an obnoxious Empath thread. She can charge however much she wants. I'm not sure why this is even up for discussion. The player of Szrael plays Szrael any way she wants to. If you don't like that, then you can chose another empath or pay up. Empaths are individuals and not you or anyone else's healing robot. Its getting me annoyed that people post in here how an empath "should" heal/charge. Since we're all individuals (yes even empaths) the choice is very simple...pay up or pick someone else to heal you.
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 02:48 PM CDT
Stellerex lets out a hearty cheer for Rejik!
>
Szrael says, "I got heckled for charging for my services when I healed your comrade just now."
>
Szrael seems to be concentrating intently on something.
>

Tells me she thought it was more than sticker shock. Someone else may of heckled her, but if you go to the Mur log, you see there is an honest attempt at haggling and at no point do I heckle anything except her "informed opinion" of me based on my gear.

And

Ohana was stared down for starting to heal after she was linked.

The only Fest items he wears is the brawling weapons, mask, and fairly worthless weapon harness. The parry stick was the empath shop opening ceremonies and the armor is imported from ratha, recently. But if that's going to be a give away that he had money at one point in time a while ago, when I get the vault fees I'll go change into goblin gear for your "appearences" issues.

If there were no cost or sacrifice involved, there wouldn't be any benefits worth learning, and the entire system would be pointless. --GM Wythor

These statements were not endorsed or made by a GM and may be completely irrealavent to game play.
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 03:10 PM CDT
>>honest attempt at haggling

Haggling usually happens before the price is agreed upon. It also usually consists of more than just complaining.

-- Player of Szrael --

You grip the oversized book hanging from your leather belt and survey the area with a hint of malice in your eyes.

Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 03:40 PM CDT
Right.

Mek is similar to "whine" but more polite. I hadn't agreed on the price, but Dasheek did, which makes the price a moot point in this conversation.

It's also why I stopped worrying about the price when he spoke up.

You didn't specifically name names when you said you were "heckled" or "attacked" either, everything, in both logs, point more to startlement then heckling.

Everyone has two logs to read entirely, other than heckling you on your "wealth Assumption" be so kind as to point out heckling? Never judge a book by its cover, or a pocketbook by it's holder. It may not even belong to the person holding it.

If there were no cost or sacrifice involved, there wouldn't be any benefits worth learning, and the entire system would be pointless. --GM Wythor

These statements were not endorsed or made by a GM and may be completely irrealavent to game play.
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 03:42 PM CDT
>>Everyone has two logs to read entirely, other than heckling you on your "wealth Assumption" be so kind as to point out heckling?

Please point out the obnoxious behavior?

~Arwinia

The Empath spellbook is a riddle trapped in an enigma hidden inside a lot of suck.-Armifer
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 03:45 PM CDT
Stare X
Stare Y
Stare Z

Staring has a different connoation than ....

Peer X
Peer Y
Peer Z

or even
Trill x ques
trill y ques
trill z ques

Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 03:47 PM CDT
You define a stare as someone being obnoxious?

~Arwinia

Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 04:06 PM CDT
>> I'm RPing using OOC information based on assumed value of old materials that I can't prove the player of the character I'm trying to make a fool of didn't buy in person for the OC or get for free instead of the non existant elanthian blue book, which makes any such assumption purely ooc for said items.

Do you know what OOC actually means?

Do you even know what roleplay is?

Based on your assertions in this thread I don't think you do.

Actually, genuine, honest question here, because I think it would explain quite a bit: Are you an ESL student?

Rev. Reene

Reene: tie a scimitar to your fist.
Kystrk: that would just be unrealistic
Reene: because jump kicking someone from hiding and vaporizing their skull is super realistic
Kystrk: I was wearing footwraps
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 04:11 PM CDT
meh

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/ferouscranus.htm

-- Player of Szrael --

Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 04:41 PM CDT
Hmm, three pages of BS? I don't think I'm going to read it, so I'm just going to throw out my characters personal opinion here.

The autohealer takes a really long time and most of the time doesn't even take all wounds. Let's add this to the fact that I never know how much to tip an empath. I usually do somewhere between 2 gold to a plat, based on how long it takes in conjunction with what I can only guess is their level of skill (titles etc) along with my own level of injury.

So personally, my character would RATHER pay someone like Szrael or even Mikiri (despite the differences my character and her have had in Haven) to heal me quickly and efficiently, without nonsense.

I've played an empath from the ground up, so I know it's entirely possible to heal someone with severe wounds in a short amount of time without overhealing yourself as long as you have the mental capacity to prep a healing spell while you are taking wounds. This was possible then at about roughly 10 circle, probably earlier now depending on stamina/concentration. And I can't count the number of times I've had to wait longer for healing because Gigglesnugglepuss1 wants to talk and coddle with Gigglesnugglepuss2 in between wound transfers.

Give me herbs or give me the Empath Union. But don't give me hugs.

Thanks,

- Terra
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 04:45 PM CDT
>>Give me herbs or give me the Empath Union. But don't give me hugs.

Bahaha. There has to be a motto in there somewhere.

-- Player of Szrael --
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 04:49 PM CDT
I feel like we should be starting some discussions about really putting one together..

:)
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 04:57 PM CDT
The fact that autoempaths do not have to spend anytime healing themselves is irrelevant. It's not about whether empaths have the right to charge whatever amount they want, it's about practical RP considerations when they choose to make those decisions.

If I went around trying to sell tanned goblin-skin backpacks for 2 gold each, it doesn't matter how much time it took me to make them, the blood sweat and tears invested in it, or how much my character gets RP distress from handling bloody skin pelts. Sure I have a right to sell it, but there are just too much alternatives available. Someone can go buy a sturdy backpack for 2 silver, or get a free backpack from someone else. This is bound to generate volatile reactions when I try to peddle this backpack.. ranging from.. ahh cute newbie trying to sell junk.. or.. WTF who is this idiot trying to ripoff.

Another issue is whether or not you can judge if someone is rich or not. Wealth is a stock, income is a flow. Purchase and tip behavior for the customer usually depends on the latter. Descriptions are a poor way of assessing healing charge value because its based on wealth, and even then it is a poor indicator of it. If you really wanted to charge based on a patient's earnings capabilities, a better measure, although a bit OOC, is to ask them to TELL you XP or circle. 5 gold may be only 3-4 mob kills worth of money to the circle 90+ hunter, but it is about half the price of a lumpy bundle for the lower-mid circle range player, and more than three times the total hunting trip's income for a newbie.

To another poster's point, removing or increasing NPC empath prices won't cure the problem, but it's a step in the right direction. There are always going to be empaths that heal for free, but having one of those around is not a certainty, whereas the NPC empath is.

---
"All models are wrong, some are useful." -George C. Box
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 05:00 PM CDT
If you have a snake charm, a forehead ruby and a shadowsilk cloak and only 5 gold in the bank, that is officially Your Problem.

If you don't want your character to be perceived as rich - with all that entails - don't dress them that way.

Hey, here's a fun experiment:

You are wearing a silky black head scarf painted in blues and silvers with enticing depictions of the heavens, a silver kyanite gwethdesuan, a simple haversack of twilight-blue suede clasped with a heavy silver swan, a knee-length longcoat tailored from heavy scorched black leather, a snug golden firesilk bandeau wrapped around the chest, a slender antique silver wristband embedded with four spherical Imperial gemstones, a slender mirror-finished silver ring engraved with the heron of Idon, an albredine crystal ring, a black leather split-strap sword belt with silver inlays, a black velvet sundries bag embellished with fine embroidery, a layered skirt of soft gossamer in varying shades of red and some midnight blue leather cross-laced sandals.

What to charge me?

Rev. Reene

Reene: because jump kicking someone from hiding and vaporizing their skull is super realistic
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 05:06 PM CDT
Actually, as an aside I would normally not go out of my way to compliment but I really like that outfit Caelumia. Especially the wristband (Let me know if you ever want to get rid of that btw).

Also, if I were a charging empath I would charge you 5 gold for moderate to severe wounds and 2 plat if I had to replace limbs.

- Terra
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 05:11 PM CDT
>>5 gold may be only 3-4 mob kills worth of money to the circle 90+ hunter

Soo, my thief was in sand sprites at 11th circle, and walked away with a couple hundred plat in a few weeks.

You're severely underestimating the ability to make money in DR.

Tasks is the easiest way, but you can also forage and sell branches to Mags (I think she will buy up to about 2 gold worth), and also with the skinning changes a full rat bundle is at least a couple gold and I know for a fact since I've been backtraining in goblins that a full gob bundle is at LEAST 5 gold, and that's beside coin drop.
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 05:19 PM CDT
>>Soo, my thief was in sand sprites at 11th circle, and walked away with a couple hundred plat in a few weeks.<<

This should not be used as a prime example. Not everyone hunts 24/7 but you do make a good point that with dedication it certainly IS possible.

I hunt lightly/moderately in gryphons and make roughly 7-10 plat a day without skinning. I remember when I was hunting around 30th-60th circles as a Bard though, I made a shameful amount of money in DR and would never have considered paying more than 5 gold for a heal. But I also wasn't decked out.

- Terra
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 05:21 PM CDT
Even in the real world, the correlation between wealth and income is only about 0.26. There are people who drive Benz who can't really afford it, and then there are six-figure professional scientists who drive their Honda Accord to work.

In DR this relationship is even worse. Because other than citizenship and repair bills, and maybe origami, there isn't a terrible amount of negative income flow, so people are even more likely to spend a greater proportion of their income than if they did have high upkeep. Add in the fact the unpredictability of multiple characters and accounts.

One example on why inventory is a bad measure is ironically: empaths. Worst income potential, but usually fairly fluffy.

There are also a lot of very high circle characters that dress poor. Empaths that want to charge for services based on description would be cheating themselves out of a lot of money if they did it that way.

BUT with all that said, if someone really has shadowsilk cloak, atmo head gems, exotic weapons, and 5 gold in the bank, they really do have problems.

---
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 05:33 PM CDT
Personally, I don't see healing as ever really being a good way to make money for Empaths, it's pitiful.

The whole point for Szrael is making it worth her while, not really even so much trying to generate an income that way.

Basically:

Szrael says, "Make it worth my while. I was doing something else."
Patient says, "What? No."
Szrael says, "Okay."
Szrael does something else.

I'm all for Empath unions and standardized prices, but healing will never really compete with what even (as someone pointed out) a sand sprite hunter can bring in. Does that make sense? No. But I'm not sure we can ever really change that when practically everyone I know has an Empath mule, and half of the non-mules are guild-sitting tip-declining martyrs.

I'd really rather see Empaths be able to participate in the combat system if they want to (construct hunting), or have worthwhile creation systems (mech split).

Then we can leave the hugs and the small clear topazes to the Empaths who really do heal because they feel they have a duty or an obligation, and Empaths who want to make the bux will have a mechanism for doing so.

Amusingly, that might actually drive prices up.

-- Player of Szrael --

Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 05:55 PM CDT
syn makes her money by hunting, with an avenger and/or her husband, and really does pretty well. she does not really spend a lot (usually gweths and presents) and she has a spouse who tends to be very generous. she chooses not to take tips and money for healing and stuff because she really only does it when she feels like it... this is actually an attitude shift for her since it used to be more about people working hard for their money.. blah blah blah.

i am all for a standard in pricing for healing tho, and that money would be directed toward the closest available empath if that system starts to work. sometimes i think that the people that come on here and whine about obnoxious empaths really just don't understand what is involved in healing. it really can be time consuming and tedious and boring depending on who is around. if you really do not like how it works, then make freinds with a couple empaths and try to make sure you go to them for healing, they will do it the way you want it done and you can mutter about obnoxious empaths to some one who might care enough to empathize with you.

oh... in order to hunt and make money with an avenger syn is hunting in areas that teach her next to nothing so that it does not take the avenger 5 minutes to scratch something to death... please rework avengers, or bring out the constructs. PLEASE!
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 06:11 PM CDT
<<syn makes her money by hunting, with an avenger and/or her husband, and really does pretty well.

Amusingly, Evran makes most of his money from combat... courtesy of his combat empath husband.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386AV.
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 06:17 PM CDT
I'm going to try a Bold Experiment and see how much my moonard can actually make while hunting in an hour. I've actually never hunted for money so I have no idea.

Also thanks Terra. Afraid I couldn't sell the wristband even if I wanted to though, it's bonded. Heh.

Rev. Reene

Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 06:34 PM CDT
I've updated my script, and I published it as a google doc so anyone can check it out. The prices may need some adjustment, but overall it is much better than having a base price like before, as these costs more reflect how long I have to sit healing.

If you have a lot of useless wounds you can easily rack up a few plat, somewhat bad wounds should end up a few gold, and for really light healing it should be close to a gold (give or take a little).

GENIE 3 COST CALCULATOR:

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfkzwmf5_0fzszs2dq
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 06:38 PM CDT
Someone should make a web application out of that, IMO.

Rev. Reene

Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/28/2009 06:56 PM CDT
I'll see if I can figure out how to make a web calculator. If I can't, I have a couple friends in mind who should be able to.
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/29/2009 09:44 AM CDT
Sounds like an OOC gripe with someone's IC behavior.

Separation between one's self and one's character is learned over time. I have not seen any argument put forth from the original poster that does anything but disseminate from addressing this central issue. Following posts in response have only migrated more and more off topic.

If you do not like the way she behaves, you should have posted in an IC manner, as the interaction was in character, unless the behavior was deemed disruptive in some way.

The manner in which you have presented your argument will not gain a sympathetic ear here because of the OOC nature of the gripe, for IC behavior, that was not malicious or harmful to you in any way. Other than your delicate sensibilities, of course.

I hope this helps clarify the arguments presented to you.

- Tyrun
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/29/2009 01:40 PM CDT
reply Replydelete Delete
>>That is not the matter the OP is about.<<
>>Thinking you know absolutely, someone elses RP style is Obnoxious at the least and arrogant at the worst.<<

You ARE the OP.

I'm an overskilled 58th circle Empath. Magics over 300. And He has a bruised head compounded by cuts and bruises about the head, minor swelling and bruising around the right arm compounded by cuts and bruises about the right arm, a severely swollen and deeply bruised left arm compounded by deep cuts across the left arm, minor swelling and bruising around the right leg compounded by deep cuts across the right leg, minor swelling and bruising around the left leg, a severely swollen and deeply bruised right hand, cuts and bruises about the chest area, faint scuffing to the abdomen, minor swelling and bruising in the back compounded by cuts and bruises about the back, tiny scratches to the left eye. is going to take me around 5 minutes of Regenerate.

I actually question whether that's 2 gold at the auto healer. I think I'll duplicate the wounds and see out of curiosity.

>>Sophorana for Empath Union Presidant in 394!<<

Who is Sophorana? Might want to get names right.

I'd be insulted to have my name there at the top of the list and still have someone misspell it.

Someone tell me about this Empath Union? I found out yesterday that apparently there's a Moon Mage Union that I've never heard of in 7 years.

>>Please tell me the name is not really Necrojill<<

I've seen Necrojill log on. :(

>>when I get the vault fees I'll go change into goblin gear for your "appearences" issues.<<

No, you won't. Vault mechanics don't let you go in with a bleed, not even a tended one, and not EVEN a tended healed bleed (just bandaging). But DO let you go in with an infection and wounds (yay, getting a bleed IN the vault. Purposefully. :D)

Anyways.

>>If you have a snake charm, a forehead ruby and a shadowsilk cloak and only 5 gold in the bank, that is officially Your Problem.<<

Or, you could "tip" the cloak.

>>What to charge me?<<

1 meellion kronar. I know you've got it! :D

>>Also, if I were a charging empath I would charge you 5 gold for moderate to severe wounds and 2 plat if I had to replace limbs.<<

As a tipping empath, I tip half my circle in gold to the empath that heals me and half to the cleric that raises me. Right now, I just do 3 plat each. Except in invasions, things get a little hectic.

If an EMPATH can afford to tip such royally well, then anyone can. And that's only partly because I pull coin from my other characters. And only the empath higher than 30th circle.

Ultimately, this has more to do with flat-out greed.

>>Soo, my thief was in sand sprites at 11th circle, and walked away with a couple hundred plat in a few weeks.

You're severely underestimating the ability to make money in DR.<<

THIS.

Mags gives 5 gold.

A 24th circle ranger skinned bundle of beisswurm claws sold by a trader is nearly 2 plat. A cleric skinned one is a little less.

I just know this post is going to get me in trouble. And I was right. Had to delete my first one because of some cursing I thought I'd deleted.
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/29/2009 08:04 PM CDT
>> 1 meellion kronar. I know you've got it! :D

I do. But I am genuinely curious what a person looking at my character would think is fair to get from me. I like to think I generally pay Empaths very well; at least I've never heard complaints. It stems from playing an Empath as my primary before I switched guilds.

However I also don't make my money from hunting, period. I am pretty curious what kind of money 370 TM could make me through pure hunting alone, if I was going out of my way to farm for it. I wonder if I can kill dobeks with TKS efficiently yet...

Rev. Reene

Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/29/2009 09:27 PM CDT
If every patient that walks in runs multiple accounts and/or hunts with nice genie3 scripts, 5 gold isn't much at all. But that might not be everyone. It's a lot of work to fill a bundle by manual hunting.

---
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/29/2009 10:26 PM CDT
>>If every patient that walks in runs multiple accounts and/or hunts with nice genie3 scripts, 5 gold isn't much at all. But that might not be everyone. It's a lot of work to fill a bundle by manual hunting.

Are we to punish efficiency then?
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/29/2009 10:31 PM CDT
>>Are we to punish efficiency then?

How can an empath punish someone who has already made their plats from hours of non-stop hunting?

The empath, however, can punish the more casual player by assuming they have an income level of the modern-day multi-account genie3 player (myself included).

---
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/29/2009 10:34 PM CDT
my farming script:

loop:
put prep tks 30
put harn 15
pause
pause 5
put cast
put break my moonblade
pause
pause
put prep moonblade 10
pause
pause
put cast %1
waitfor You sense the final vestiges
goto loop

I'm too lazy to go add looting kills to it.

Rev. Reene

Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/29/2009 10:37 PM CDT
>>my farming script:

Did you perform your experiment on how much you could make from hunting yet?

---
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/29/2009 10:42 PM CDT
not yet. :(

I'm too busy roletarding + honestly don't know where to go to farm the most efficiently since TKS is well...TKS.

Rev. Reene

Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/29/2009 10:46 PM CDT
>>How can an empath punish someone who has already made their plats from hours of non-stop hunting?

These multi-account using people will already have their own empaths, so they will not effect the system.
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/29/2009 10:49 PM CDT
<<I'm too lazy to go add looting kills to it.

loop:
put prep tks 30
put harn 15
pause
pause 5
put cast
put break my moonblade
pause
pause
put prep moonblade 10
pause
pause
put cast %1
pause
put loot
put loot
pause
put stow gem
put stow gem
pause
put stow coin
put stow coin
pause
put stow box
waitfor You sense the final vestiges
goto loop

There ya go. I'm too lazy to put skinning in since I don't usually hunt skinnables.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386AV.
Re: Obnoxious Empaths. 05/29/2009 10:52 PM CDT
Man what a pal <3

Rev. Reene