Prev_page Previous 1
Coz/HyH 02/05/2013 10:23 AM CST

"The version in 2.0 was insanely powerful, so please don't be disappointed that this version won't go to the extremes that the old version did."

Slightly disappointed but not unexpected. 2.0 was insanely powerful and I loved it.

"While working on this spell, and specifically tying it into Hydra Hex, it became clear that HyH was nowhere near as difficult as it should be."

I am concerned about this. Because of tying Debilitation to TM to be effective, my Debilitiation is now my lowest magic skill- though it is boostable of course. I am concerned that my 500 plus in Debilitation may make this spell less useful for combat- while still good for training.

To me the real practical advantage(other than training) of HyH is so that I don't have manage what creatures are cursed or not- I just hope this version is usable and useful in combat for Flavius.

Thanks for getting COZ out, thanks for all of the work on this.
Re: Coz/HyH 02/05/2013 01:28 PM CST
Of course you'd release this while I'm at work and unable to test! However, I look forward to breaking things with reckless abandon soon.
Re: Coz/HyH 02/05/2013 02:13 PM CST
>>Slightly disappointed but not unexpected. 2.0 was insanely powerful and I loved it.

Yeah, the old version of CoZ would reduce a target's damage potential to 0 at the high end of the spell. That is no longer ever possible.

>>To me the real practical advantage(other than training) of HyH is so that I don't have manage what creatures are cursed or not- I just hope this version is usable and useful in combat for Flavius.

It will still be very usable. In the case of CoZ and Malediction, the debuff applied even for the lower mana cast is pretty advantageous. And with the pulses sped up, it does end up drawing much more mana than it did before, it also applies itself to creatures before they reach melee much more often, and ensures that the debuff doesn't drop before the new one applies which could happen during the longer pulse times.

This new version is certainly more expensive now, but it should be more expensive to apply a debilitation spell across a group of targets and to keep repeating the effects. This change also means that HyH can be used to train for much longer as well.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Coz/HyH 02/05/2013 06:41 PM CST
Single cast. Min prep, harness three times 20. Lasted a roisaen. Decent drop in protection, but the duration is really short. Hydra hex. A 25 prep, with a normal cycle...lasts a decent bit of time. I haven't noticed it drop like I do with male, with hydra up. But if I infuse 24 into it...it drops about 10-12 seconds later. Don't last very long at all.
Re: Coz/HyH 02/05/2013 06:48 PM CST

the hyh/debil change is not something that is really gonna be a game changer. I would consider a look at damage from FoU though...in 3 days of my testing using HyH with male/off so I can hunt "at level" I have cast over 200 FoU's at 65 mana and killed a grand total of 3 zombie maulers. If I need to use dilbils to hunt at level where I learn TM....the TM should at least kill on par with the mana. I can kill a mauler with 3 to 4 casts of min prep horns....I can't kill one with 15, 20, 30 casts of FoU at higher mana. I also have the undead TM boost up. In order to maintain a cyclic debil in the now new way, plus be able to cast FoU at high enough mana, I literally have to take about a minute between FoU casts for mana regen.
Re: Coz/HyH 02/05/2013 06:50 PM CST
I might be wrong..but that sounds like a creature restiance issue. I don't know anything about those critters though, so I don't know.
Re: Coz/HyH 02/05/2013 06:54 PM CST
I get this message.

>
The blanket of oily copper-red rust surrounding you suddenly agitates, sending filthy bits of rancid leavings upward around you.
The castoff flecks fade to black then vanish as they touch Sydnee.
Nothing happens since Sydnee is not wearing armor or holding weapons.

Everyone else sees this.

>
Nothing happens.
Re: Coz/HyH 02/05/2013 06:57 PM CST
>>Nothing happens.

That's great. I just find that hilarious for some reason.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Coz/HyH 02/05/2013 06:58 PM CST
Everyone in the room sees that message, it really is neat.
Re: Coz/HyH 02/05/2013 07:01 PM CST

The zombies(head splitters/maulers) have what I think is amazing resistance to fire damage.

In 2.0 they largely shrugged off both HH and FOU but I killed them with FF or Horn easily.

Now? FOU and HH still do minimal damage, but of course now FF doesn't do much either. AE seems to hit pretty hard.

What I have been doing this week to really kill the zombies?

a) Cast FOU(and sometimes HH) regularly
b) have HyH Maled def running
c) Use DR for the damage bonus
d) and then either use my Kertigen blessed broadsword,

or
e) have Halo up and include my throwing hammer into the mix.

I pretty much kill them fastest with a combination of DR and a weapon.
Re: Coz/HyH 02/05/2013 07:06 PM CST

"Yeah, the old version of CoZ would reduce a target's damage potential to 0 at the high end of the spell."

You make that sound like a bad thing......

I loved Flavius being immune to Adanf warriers....until COZ faded....

Like I said- I fully expected that to change.

Speaking of another ability deemed too powerful- would it break anything now to say exactly what the offensive and defensive bonuses actually were?

I am guessing that the offensive bonus was a 10-20% bonus with no cap. Just curious now that my favorite commune has gone away.
Re: Coz/HyH 02/05/2013 10:24 PM CST
>> CoZ duration

CoZ has the correct duration range for a debuff spell while Malediction was set to the duration range of typical combat buffs. Malediction has been fixed to the correct duration range now. I'm all for Clerics having super powers, and having HyH in the mix to run cyclic debilitation spells is certainly one of these, but the standard cast debilitation spells should be in line with other guilds.

>>But if I infuse 24 into it...it drops about 10-12 seconds later. Don't last very long at all.

For my testing, I got 15-16 seconds doing what you said. There is something mucking with durations for infusions which will get looked at.

>>FoU tangent

If a spell is under-performing vs a specific creature compared to other spells - Use the other spells.

>>Nothing happens.

I'll take a look here in a bit and see if I can get that messaging part to act right.

>>Speaking of another ability deemed too powerful- would it break anything now to say exactly what the offensive and defensive bonuses actually were?

It wouldn't break anything, but it's probably the case that Malediction still needs to be scaled back a little even after having its duration brought in line. It's not that it does too much, it's that it does too much to too many things.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Coz/HyH 02/06/2013 01:12 AM CST

I actually did a bad seque trying to ask what the now extinct offensive commune bonus was- I am just curious after all these years to know what it was and how it worked.
Re: Coz/HyH 02/06/2013 02:28 AM CST
>>trying to ask what the now extinct offensive commune bonus was

Well, I went to look, but since all instances are the new version, it is now long forgotten. But if I had to guess I'd say 20% or more.

>>Infuse duration is terrible

This should be fixed now.

>>Nothing happens.

Actual nothing should be happening now instead, along with some assorted messaging additions.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Coz/HyH 02/06/2013 05:06 PM CST

<Use other spells>

well with the amount of mana I have to put into maintaining hyh, I can no longer hunt where I learn TM due to needing more mana to maintain hyh. I am faced with learning debil and defenses, and getting my TM from classes, or not hunting at level thus gaining defenses and treasure, but no debil or TM. All things being equal, the mana cost to hunt at level for those skills, is extremely hampering. I am looking at a few months of training defenses just so I can hunt where my magic trains. I have already moved several rungs back down the critter ladder from where I was pre-3.0. Now I have to move further down, to back train defenses so I can move back up the ladder. I wasn't expecting to jump right back into high lvl celps with 3.0, but I was at least expecting at circle 131, to be able to hunt where I was able to in 2.0 at circle 80 or 90.
Re: Coz/HyH 02/06/2013 05:22 PM CST
How are you using HyH that this isn't possible? This far I haven't had any problem maintains hunting grounds pre and post 3.0.
Re: Coz/HyH 02/06/2013 05:53 PM CST
I don't like the pulse change to Hyh...certaining uses more mana than it did before because of that, so may we can look into that. I not sure how the old pulse timing would be with COZ...but the mana drain was a lot easier to control.
Re: Coz/HyH 02/06/2013 05:55 PM CST

running hyh at 25 mana using male/off(any lower and I get no effct)...keeps me around 30 to 35% mana...a 65 cast of FoU or a 55 cast of horn takes me down to 5 to 8% mana. Takes ballpark 40 to 60 casts of FoU to kill a mauler...8 to 12 casts of horn. Given the regen time on mana, I am able to cast one TM spell every 2 minutes. Also tried this in sky giants. mostly same result with a slightly higher kill rate. Resuscitants(my 2.0 hunt of choice) tear me apart. anything easier then those 3 critters do not teach TM or dibil. Have MAPP, Ben, PFE and mpp up as buffs with POM going as well. Also using the TM/undead bonus commune.
Re: Coz/HyH 02/06/2013 06:51 PM CST
I suggest using SOL. All my cleric uses is SOL, PFE, Benediction, and Hyh 16 prep to hunt scorps. THats with 250-260 defensives, and he never gets touched. With no SOL, but MAPP and MPP, he gets eat up still. As far as MAPP and MPP not noticing a huge buff like SOL is doing. Different buffs of course, but probably those buffs help more or less depending on what you fight.
Re: Coz/HyH 02/06/2013 07:13 PM CST
>>JARRETT

Using your skills and stats, and hunting in the same room your were hunting in:

With a minimum cast Hyh I was affecting maulers 50% of the time. Adding in a few basic cleric augmentation spells, I was hitting 100% of the time. Without Meraud's commune my mana stayed near 87%. With Meraud's commune my mana stayed near 100%. Including a few defensive Cleric spells, I was able to defend against 4 maulers without getting beat up.

Casting HyH at 25 resulted in a mana range of 46-50% (with Meraud's commune up). One cast of EF brought my mana back to 100%. None of these tests were done using POM which would have helped as well.

I'm sorry you don't feel like Clerics have the tools to handle these issues, I happen to disagree.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Coz/HyH 02/06/2013 08:38 PM CST

hell of a call there. defensive spells up, buffs up, SAP up on debil, Mer Commune up, min prep hyh did nothing and was killed inside 30 seconds...that was MUCH better then using a 25 prep HyH. Would love to see how you make it work fine and I am killed inside 30 seconds doing the exact same thing.
Re: Coz/HyH 02/06/2013 08:48 PM CST
>Would love to see how you make it work fine and I am killed inside 30 seconds doing the exact same thing.

Stances, armor condition, encumbrance?

Note: this is not a plug for Genie or Elanthipedia or Mars Bars.
Re: Coz/HyH 02/06/2013 08:49 PM CST

parry stance

parry 100
evasion 62
shield 25

all armor pristine

no encumbrance
Re: Coz/HyH 02/06/2013 08:59 PM CST

here's your min prep hyh....

Malevolent shadowy tendrils leap for a zombie mauler, but it resists the curse.
Malevolent shadowy tendrils leap for a zombie mauler, but it resists the curse.
Re: Coz/HyH 02/06/2013 09:05 PM CST

with Mer commune, Hyh is keeping me at 45 to 57%(a 20 mana hyh cast since it needs that much to land) ....one TM cast down to 34% second TM cast down to 20% third TM cast down to 9%...not sure what you are using Rici, but is sure ain my skills and stats
Re: Coz/HyH 02/06/2013 09:37 PM CST

well just killed 25 maulers using my 526 brawlin in about 10 minutes....can't kill 25 maulers using my 600's 700's 800's magics in 30 minutes. Is this intended?
Re: Coz/HyH 02/06/2013 10:00 PM CST
Could you consolidate your posts to a single post, rather than 4000 individual single sentence thoughts?

In addition to being annoying, it makes it difficult to read or track what you're doing, if someone isn't inclined to hit the 'view last page' button and has read 1/3 your posts already.

Note: this is not a plug for Genie or Elanthipedia or Mars Bars.
Re: Coz/HyH 02/06/2013 10:03 PM CST
I don't know what your magic skills are so I could be WELL above you but I have no issues maintaining HYH at cap and casting 60 mana FOUs. Never gone below 80%. Use your buffs and adjust your mana levels until you find something that works for you or go find something else to hunt.
Re: Coz/HyH 02/06/2013 10:21 PM CST

Holy Magic: 868 64% focused (20/34) Attunement: 892 18% clear (0/34)
Arcana: 760 00% clear (0/34) Targeted Magic: 640 29% examining (13/34)
Augmentation: 771 43% clear (0/34) Debilitation: 689 32% studious (19/34)
Utility: 653 77% clear (0/34) Warding: 616 14% clear (0/34)
Theurgy: 612 02% intrigued (16/34)

guessing you are WELL above me cause a 25 HyH keeps me between 35 and 57% mana. Casting a FoU at 60 drops me to under 30%
Re: Coz/HyH 02/06/2013 10:31 PM CST
A few suggestions:
1) If you're not hunting cursed/Undead, you can drop PFE from your necessary buffs.
2) I'd strongly suggest adding GG and Auspice to your buffs list if you plan to use any form of Debil attack.
3) Get a large cambrinth to at least initially absorb the drain of getting HyH started up.
4) I'd also suggest adding MaF to work alongside your MPP.
Re: Coz/HyH 02/06/2013 10:42 PM CST
>>here's your min prep hyh....

You may want to consider trying with Auspice and/or GG - since those would have a massive direct effect for Spirit contested debilitation spells. With a capped Auspice alone (and using your skills and stats still) I went from missing 100% of the time with a min prep HyH to hitting 100% in maulers. You may notice that these numbers are a little different than what I first posted, since the room I went to try hunting in was stompers before, which was where you were hunting when I started attempting to offer you assistance.

>>not sure what you are using Rici, but is sure ain my skills and stats

I'll look into the possibility that our player copy utility isn't working as intended.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Coz/HyH 02/07/2013 02:48 AM CST
So much Ricinus owning in the thread.
Re: Coz/HyH 02/07/2013 08:08 AM CST
>>well just killed 25 maulers using my 526 brawlin in about 10 minutes....can't kill 25 maulers using my 600's 700's 800's magics in 30 minutes. Is this intended?

What spells are you using, and are you aligned to a TM diety?

Maulers (and all the zombie variants in Boar Clan) are extremely resistant to fire, and many of the Cleric spells are fire-heavy. I'd recommend HORN or FF.
Re: Coz/HyH 02/07/2013 08:58 AM CST
My attunement is above 1300 so yes, pretty far above you so again, you're trying to do too much. Lower the amount of mana you use until you find a balance that you can keep your attunement at higher levels. Also as others have said, don't use fire spells on fire resistant creatures. I had the same problem against Celps when FoU first came out. Would take dozens of casts of FoU to do any serious damage to them but I could one shot them with Horn.
Re: Coz/HyH 02/07/2013 11:33 AM CST

Jarrett- you didn't give us an idea of what your defenses are.

But Flavius was hunting Head Splitters and Maulers in 2.0 and is hunting them again in 3.0.

There are different challenges but somethings remain the same.

FOU and HH are very inefficient for killing Zombies- frankly most of our spells seem to be now- in 2.0 I was killing them with FF but FF doesn't seem very effiicent for it now.

But I just went in and tried Maulers out with the new Mal, and did just fine- locked Debi and TM, then started killing Maulers- to kill them with TM takes combination of spells to do well. Got a couple minor hits and was stunned once.

Flavius's defenses are in the 550-580 range and that might be the difference.

My suggestion is:
a) use SOL
b) use a better stance- Flavius uses 100 Shield/80 evasion/8 parry. This combination takes advantage of our two defensive boosts, while still giving a little parry training.

Ricinus- it might be worth looking at the damage types in our TM spells. HE/HH/FOU/AE/FF all seem heavily fire based. In my humble opinion no one should be better at killing zombies with TM than clerics but our TM spells seem rather under powered against them and it may be because so much of our damage is fire based.
Re: Coz/HyH 02/07/2013 02:27 PM CST
>>Ricinus- it might be worth looking at the damage types in our TM spells.

Damage types for cleric spells are a little more varied than I think folks realize. If there are specific concerns with creatures acting up, I would really prefer that discussion be made in the Creatures section of the forums where GMs that are an authority on that subject can be in on the discussion (I am not one of those people). For the most part, I've been trying to answer what I can related to Clerics and spell usage.

When the original comment was made about FoU not hitting these creatures very well, I really didn't give it much thought. FoU isn't special toward undead, and based on the creature being hunted I wasn't surprised by the results. Yesterday, when I was testing mana usage for various levels of HyH, I did notice that HH seemed to be underperforming vs those particular creatures, and that is something I'll look into because I think HH and HE should be more usable on undead even when they have strong elemental resistances.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Coz/HyH 02/07/2013 06:53 PM CST
Ricinus:
I'll look into because I think HH and HE should be more usable on undead even when they have strong elemental resistances

Great- thanks.

Would it break anything to give us some info on the damage components of our TM spells?
Re: Coz/HyH 02/07/2013 07:26 PM CST
>Would it break anything to give us some info on the damage components of our TM spells?

Discern can tell you this.
Re: Coz/HyH 02/16/2013 01:46 PM CST
SaP - Debil? I'm not sure what Male contests, but I'm fairly comfortable claiming Clerics have a buff for that. Benediction, Auspice, or GJ?

What's your debilitation at?

You're making a few claims here (you need debil to train TM, you need FoU to train TM...) that suggest you just need to experiment a bit more, not that Clerics are now broken.
Re: Coz/HyH 02/16/2013 06:01 PM CST

Casting hyh Malediction without GG up: whiff maybe half the time against Maulers
hyh Malediction with GG up: they never resist it.
Prev_page Previous 1