Prev_page Previous 1
Re: MPP/COL 01/29/2008 09:28 AM CST
Fixed the subject. :P

~Aeth
Re: MPP/COL 01/29/2008 10:31 AM CST
Would the acronym be MOPP or MOPE?

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: MPP/COL 01/29/2008 11:02 AM CST
>>Admit it.<<

RAWR!

>>Fixed the subject. :P<<

Thank you.

>>Be interesting if this could be worked into the existing two spells. Cast in a combo or something it sets up combo spell that has both aspects of the two spells, more than MPP but less than MAPP.<<

The new Thief khri have a synergistic effect if specific ones are combined. I could see having both MPP + MAPP up doing something like this. MPP by itself is the same. MAPP by itself is the same. MPP + MAPP = Protection/absorption + evasion + shield + parry boost

>>Would the acronym be MOPP or MOPE?<<

lol. I think MODPP would be more appropriate.
Re: MPP/COL 01/29/2008 11:16 AM CST
Well as I have said a few times before,I would like the a version of the old MPP back. However, please lets find a better name...some of the old names like MPP just lack flair.

"militantly enforcing the overly rigid standards of you and your small collection of friends"
Re: MPP/COL 01/29/2008 11:53 AM CST
You have to remember that Cage of Light is a third tier spell as compared to MPP's second tier. Regardless of that discrepancy, the comparison is still pretty favorable to us.

Syralon
"'Every apostle or disciple,' Mrs. Clark says, 'as much as they're running to follow their savior - they're running just as hard to escape something else.'"
Re: MPP/COL 01/29/2008 11:54 AM CST
MPP is notably better against undead... if you're into that sort of thing.
Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror.
Re: MPP/COL 01/29/2008 12:04 PM CST
The complaint isn't really about MPP sucking. I use it all the time and like it.

yLast hunting trip I think it worked a bit better than it was before. I was noticing my shield flashing on grazing hits, which leads me to believe they would have been light, but were brought down by the shield. Earlier, non-damaging hits did not cause the shield to flare. This is all observation and anecdotal.

This complaint is more about instead of Clerics getting a NEW spell released that has new functioning, we get a spell rewritten. Would it have been that tough to add a new defensive spell instead of rewriting mpp?

We have the smallest spellbook of the magic prime guilds and smaller than MOST of the other magic secondary and tertiary guilds.
Re: MPP/COL 01/29/2008 12:09 PM CST
I think it's hilarious you lament not having a spellbook as jam-packed full of crap as the Moon Mage and Warrior Mage spellbooks.

It makes me think the majority of you are just looking at quantity and are completely forgetting about the quality of your spells. I would rather have one of my spells rewritten than another one added, personally. The spell slot shuffle is not fun, and it doesn't get any funner the higher you climb.

Rev. Reene

You ask, "Ever eat a Halfling?"

The grumpy Shadow Servant quietly says, "I only eat what you give me, but I thought you said we weren't going to talk about that incident."
Re: MPP/COL 01/29/2008 12:14 PM CST
>>It makes me think the majority of you are just looking at quantity and are completely forgetting about the quality of your spells. I would rather have one of my spells rewritten than another one added, personally. The spell slot shuffle is not fun, and it doesn't get any funner the higher you climb.<<

^This.

- Mazrian
Re: MPP/COL 01/29/2008 12:17 PM CST
As usual Reene has a nugget of truth amongst her usual correctness patrol of the cleric boards. I think we have fewer useless spells than the Moon Mage guild, and quality is more important than quantity. At the same time, we do need more spells, and I am hoping the re-org will result in more uniform spell developement for all the guilds.

"This complaint is more about instead of Clerics getting a NEW spell released that has new functioning, we get a spell rewritten. Would it have been that tough to add a new defensive spell instead of rewriting mpp?"

Yeah, never did agree with this, never made any sense as much as I liked Khent in general.

"militantly enforcing the overly rigid standards of you and your small collection of friends"
Re: MPP/COL 01/29/2008 12:38 PM CST
>>I think it's hilarious you lament not having a spellbook as jam-packed full of crap as the Moon Mage and Warrior Mage spellbooks.<<

I'm not complaining about not having enough spells at all. I have plenty of good spells to get for many many circles, plus good ones are in the works!

I was building evidence to support my opinion.

Quite a few people liked the old MPP. It got rewritten and we still have a good, albeit different, MPP.

I don't play a MM, but after reading the spell descriptions, I will attempt to make an analogy with seal of deflection. Per play.net:

Seal of Deflection
Seal of Deflection deflects incoming offensive spells. It may be replaced anew with further casts, but its protection will drain down as it wears off.

According to the description, it will deflect incoming spells, causing them to miss. Imagine instead it gets rewritten so that the spells still hit, but instead of doing normal damage, they are doing a bit less.

Personally, I would like to cause them to miss as opposed to taking 80% or 60% or whatever damage.

I still like the synergistic idea with MPP + MAPP the best.
Re: MPP/COL 01/29/2008 12:53 PM CST
MM do seem to have quite a few seemingly redundant spells.

I can see Whole displacement and Partial displacement getting put together. TKT and TKS go together. Steelstar and moonblade too.

It does make me appreciate, that Divine Radiance has 2 functions, as opposed to making two spells that do two different things.
Re: MPP/COL 01/29/2008 01:00 PM CST
>> Quite a few people liked the old MPP. It got rewritten and we still have a good, albeit different, MPP.

Rewrites happen. It sounds like the current version of MPP is pretty worthy regardless.

>> Imagine instead it gets rewritten so that the spells still hit, but instead of doing normal damage, they are doing a bit less.

SoD actually does kind of do that. It won't help you evade the spell at all; it drains power out of the spell so what you're getting hit with has a lot less mana in it, which indirectly reduces the offensive power of the spell. But I digress.

These threads lately seem to be a whole lot of sour grapes about other guilds getting releases which I have never understood. Other people getting things doesn't in any way diminish or take away from what you have. I mean, yes, you want new things, I get that - but you have a dedicated GM working on things for you, and complaining about the dev of other guilds in the mean time doesn't accomplish anything.

I wonder why no one complains about scream defiance, though. Hmmm.

Rev. Reene

The grumpy Shadow Servant quietly says, "I only eat what you give me, but I thought you said we weren't going to talk about that incident."
Re: MPP/COL 01/29/2008 01:03 PM CST
>I wonder why no one complains about scream defiance, though. Hmmm.

:(

Huldah says, "No."
Re: MPP/COL 01/29/2008 01:04 PM CST
>>I wonder why no one complains about scream defiance, though. Hmmm.<<

Because no matter what they get, they're still Bards! =)

- Mazrian
Re: MPP/COL 01/29/2008 01:08 PM CST
>Personally, I would like to cause them to miss as opposed to taking 80% or 60% or whatever damage.

Well yeah I would too but that wouldn't really be balanced.
Re: MPP/COL 01/29/2008 01:21 PM CST
>>Other people getting things doesn't in any way diminish or take away from what you have. I mean, yes, you want new things, I get that - but you have a dedicated GM working on things for you, and complaining about the dev of other guilds in the mean time doesn't accomplish anything.<<

Everyone keeps focusing on GvG. I am not complaining about MM dev at all! MM getting the equivalent of MPP does not bother or affect(effect?) me at all. New MM spell, great!

If my posts are coming across this way, it is my failing and is not intended at all.

What I am trying to get across is we had a good thing with old mpp. Do we really need to lose this good thing for a different good thing?

Spell 1 is written with unique usage. Spell 2 is written with unique usage. Instead of having Spells 1 and 2 available, we erase spell 1 and put spell 2 in its place? Do you get what I am saying?

I'm not even complaining that we aren't getting new things, because new things are in the works. We are getting attention and that's great.

>>SoD actually does kind of do that. It won't help you evade the spell at all; it drains power out of the spell so what you're getting hit with has a lot less mana in it, which indirectly reduces the offensive power of the spell. But I digress.<<

Again, my failing. I was trying to make an analogy and it didn't come out right. I know very little about moonmages except if I go through a moon gate I will end up somewhere else.

>>I wonder why no one complains about scream defiance, though.<<

I know less about bards than I do Moonmages. Don't they play musical instruments a lot?
Re: MPP/COL 01/29/2008 01:24 PM CST
>>>Personally, I would like to cause them to miss as opposed to taking 80% or 60% or whatever damage.<<

rephrased as: I would like to increase the chance of them to miss as opposed to taking 80% or 60% or whatever damage.
Re: MPP/COL 01/29/2008 01:31 PM CST
>> Everyone keeps focusing on GvG. I am not complaining about MM dev at all!

I can't imagine why a thread entitled MPP/COL with an intro post that lead off with a bitter comment about MM dev would give anyone that impression.

>> I know less about bards than I do Moonmages. Don't they play musical instruments a lot?

Scream defiance does the exact same thing as MPP and CoL, just much, much better. Oh, and it can be used while they're stunned or otherwise disabled for an instant effect.

If you're going to place an emphasis on what CoL does in comparison to MPP for no discernible reason we might as well go that direction too.

Rev. Reene

Re: MPP/COL 01/29/2008 03:37 PM CST
>>I can't imagine why a thread entitled MPP/COL with an intro post that lead off with a bitter comment about MM dev would give anyone that impression.<<

Yeah, I re-read my first post and it did come across like that. My first post I had stewed a lot about it, and was pretty irritated, and that came through as sounding GvG. It wasn't really intended that way.

While CoL being released did spur this irritation, my anger isn't with CoL coming out. As stated, MM can have all the dev they can handle.

I am obviously having trouble communicating what I am trying to say. Here is another example:

Cleric GM makes a proposal for a spell that reduces incoming damage. The proposal gets approved and the decision is made to rewrite mpp. Old mpp is scrapped

Moonmage GM makes a proposal for a spell that reduces incoming damage. The proposal gets approved and the decision is made to write a new spell. No spells are scrapped.

What irritates me: Everything went EXACTLY the same until the very end. You can change Moonmage to Ranger or anything else and it would still irritate me. It isn't that MM got a spell released. Its that Clerics got something taken away when I feel that it wasn't really necessary. I guess it's more like why did we have to give up something? Moon mages didn't have to give up anything, and they shouldn't have to.
Re: MPP/COL 01/30/2008 04:15 AM CST
<<Cleric GM makes a proposal for a spell that reduces incoming damage. The proposal gets approved and the decision is made to rewrite mpp. Old mpp is scrapped

What's the evidence for this is how the proposal went in GM land? Honestly I do not know. My guesses might be that perhaps the old MPP was deemed too powerful and needed to be nerfed? Or the disconuity between the spell's function and the spell's name/description warrented a rewrite (which was the reasoning given in the original post)? I mean there has been a lot of trying to bring things under global caps and streamlining of systems. Maybe this was the start of it.

I'm not saying that I don't want the old MPP back. It's top on my list of wants. But I just don't have a way of knowing what goes on behind the scenes.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: MPP/COL 01/30/2008 05:52 AM CST
>>What's the evidence for this is how the proposal went in GM land?<<

No evidence except:

1. We know GMs have to make proposals to make spells.

2. We now have a different mpp.

3. Old mpp no longer exists

It could have gone a different way. Actually I am pretty sure it did because GMs usually do stuff that we like as opposed to stuff we don't.

There must have been a reason things went the way they did, but on the PC side, this is what we see.
Re: MPP/COL 01/30/2008 10:01 AM CST
>>Actually I am pretty sure it did because GMs usually do stuff that we like as opposed to stuff we don't.

Well, considering this was during a period where GMs were continually oppressed by extremely foolish whining from Clerics, I actually wouldn't be all that surprised by pettiness in response. There's nothing super-human about GMs. The whining only lessened to board-normal when it was pointed out BY a GM.

And no, Lirrak was not the Cleric GM at the time, so he likely has little idea of what happened behind the scenes either.

Suggest a new spell that buffs parry skill, shield skill, EDF, evasion, whatever you like. Don't assume what happened behind the curtain as if you had any idea.

---
"Close your eyes -
Re: MPP/COL 01/30/2008 11:37 AM CST
I could have sworn that one of the GMs mentioned that Old MPP was extremely buggy as well, but that could just be me misremembering things.

Syralon
"'Every apostle or disciple,' Mrs. Clark says, 'as much as they're running to follow their savior - they're running just as hard to escape something else.'"
Re: MPP/COL 01/30/2008 11:41 AM CST
please bring this to a discussions folder.

this "conflict" sucks.

im tired of clicking on it.

:oP Ragran
Re: MPP/COL 01/30/2008 12:01 PM CST
Yeah, its not really a good conflict.

>>Well, considering this was during a period where GMs were continually oppressed by extremely foolish whining from Clerics, I actually wouldn't be all that surprised by pettiness in response. There's nothing super-human about GMs. The whining only lessened to board-normal when it was pointed out BY a GM.

And no, Lirrak was not the Cleric GM at the time, so he likely has little idea of what happened behind the scenes either.

Suggest a new spell that buffs parry skill, shield skill, EDF, evasion, whatever you like. Don't assume what happened behind the curtain as if you had any idea.<<

I choose not to believe that, not because I don't see possible validity in it, but because I tend to believe the best of people, even if what happens isn't ideal.

For Ragran:

You is teh suck.
Re: MPP/COL 01/30/2008 12:03 PM CST

"Well, considering this was during a period where GMs were continually oppressed by extremely foolish whining from Clerics, I actually wouldn't be all that surprised by pettiness in response. There's nothing super-human about GMs. The whining only lessened to board-normal when it was pointed out BY a GM."

As someone who was playing a cleric at the time, and was a vocal advocate for our guild, I recall no pettiness in response by any Cleric GM. Khent when he responded to questions regarding why he changed MPP was quite clear that he felt that how MPP worked didn't fit the name- Minor Physical Protection. Though there were lots of objections by clerics at the time, both the objections and Khents response were very civil. As I recall most clerics were very excited about the potential of Khent- there was lots of exciting developement right around that time.

Nor do I recall any unusual amount of complaining by clerics except during the long periods of time when we either were lacking GM's or they disappeared. Those whining were irritating clerics like myself, Lagerby, Smegul, Geoffin and Cadderly. We had very good reason to express our discontent. The "whining" didn't subside because of anything a GM said...frankly most of the clerics that posted have left the game, or continued the game but entirely stopped contributing to the boards.

I am hoping that the concept of Community Leaders means that DR is trying to include those players that are vocal advocates rather than discourage them.

"Suggest a new spell that buffs parry skill, shield skill, EDF, evasion, whatever you like. Don't assume what happened behind the curtain as if you had any idea."

He posted in the rants and raves folder- seems like a great place for him to express his frustration about how the whole turn of events with MPP. Worth revisiting in context of advocating for the replacement of a similar spell.

Re: MPP/COL 01/30/2008 12:19 PM CST
>>It makes me think the majority of you are just looking at quantity and are completely forgetting about the quality of your spells. I would rather have one of my spells rewritten than another one added, personally. The spell slot shuffle is not fun, and it doesn't get any funner the higher you climb.

I beg to differ. Moon Mages and Warrior Mages may have more repetition or useless slots but the proportion of spells in need of new perks/a complete rewrite is very analogous. It's not like Cleric spells are somehow better pound per pound because they have fewer spells.

Quality is just as important as quantity, and Clerics need to play catch-up in both departments. Clerics already have a great array of useful spells, obviously but the same can be said even more so for Moonies and Warmies simply by virtue of having many more spells.
Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror.
Re: MPP/COL 01/30/2008 01:04 PM CST
>> It's not like Cleric spells are somehow better pound per pound because they have fewer spells.

Trying to argue that Clerics suck, are hated by GMs, never get anything et cetera by pointing to a slightly anemic spellbook ignores the fact that Cleric spells on the whole are very versatile and provide a great deal of utility depending on how they are used. Your spells aren't just mediocre or even good, they're very often great and either the best at what they do (Benediction, Shield of Light) or completely unique in concept (Osrel Meraud). It's better than having Generic TM Spell #8 IMO. Again, quality over quantity.

You've also got a solid dev GM making neat things for you, so your spellbooks will be even more fleshed out, which is great because there's a lot of room to expand on the niches you guys have established. But you aren't sucking as a guild because you won't have more spells than there are slots for them by 150th.

Rev. Reene

Re: MPP/COL 01/30/2008 01:21 PM CST
Confound Enemies is also a pretty neat/efficious spell.

:oP Ragran
Re: MPP/COL 01/30/2008 02:02 PM CST
What Reene and Ragran said.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: MPP/COL 01/30/2008 02:18 PM CST
Outside of the quantity/quality argument, something to note is that Clerics are a very late-blooming guild.

Our most defining spells and abilities are, in a lot of cases, pretty mediocre if not flat out unusable when we get them unless you vastly overtrained your magics.

You start getting communes at second circle. They have formulas that have duration based on your current circle.

By the time you hit 30th you can learn some of our best spells, like Benediction, PoM, and OM. You just don't have the magic skills to get adequate durations or boosts out of the former two, and the latter is highly dependent on how much you've been groping cambrinth as you've gone along and which other spells you've chosen.

Once you get past that stretch of the 30s and into the mid 40s or so you start to develop the skills to actually use what we've got well. Combine that with the fact that by 50th circle or so you've pretty much been able to select all of the general purpose Cleric spells and suddenly we start looking real good.

I'm still discovering new uses of our spells and abilities and I'm into the higher circles now. The last few days I've discovered that Harm Horde is actually a whole lot better than I thought it was - my testing back during the preview indicated that it really was not a good spell at all, but now that I've got higher PM/TM and have approached its use from a different way it's actually proving a very nice little addition to my spellbook.

Our spellbook will get there, and we've got a tremendously good core set of spells right now to work with. We just need some breadth to the spellbook of similar quality to what we've already got, and I've got every confidence that it's just a matter of time.

Syralon
Re: MPP/COL 01/30/2008 02:28 PM CST
I think the one thing that we can all agree on is that the cleric's guild doesn't suck. I think we can agree that Cleric Spells don't suck. I think we can even agree that the Moon Mage Guild and Moon Mage Spells don't suck.

However, I think that there are Cleric Spells that could use better functionality, that there are Cleric Spells that could use improvement and that the Cleric Spellbook could use more developement.

And really, the Moon Mage guild doesn't suck. Really.

Re: MPP/COL 01/30/2008 02:43 PM CST
I'm outraged that for once my name isn't in the title!

-Entyy
Re: MPP/COL 01/30/2008 02:59 PM CST
>> Outside of the quantity/quality argument, something to note is that Clerics are a very late-blooming guild.

Not a bad thing, really. There are far too many guilds that have practically nothing to look forward to or grow into after 60th or so. Empaths I'm looking at you.

The lower end might use some fleshing out though as you point out. Fortunately spells like MPP (hey there you go) were made with this in mind and are made to be more effective at minimum casts, but there's always room for expanding.

Rev. Reene

Re: MPP/COL 01/30/2008 03:58 PM CST
>>Not a bad thing, really. There are far too many guilds that have practically nothing to look forward to or grow into after 60th or so. Empaths I'm looking at you.

My general sense of the DR development's big picture is that they're planning for a gamut of abilities intentionally expanded beyond the 150th circle mark.

I think Empaths (and Bards and Traders) will begin to come into their own with the Mech Split.

Personally, I think the most neglected guild, at the moment, is the Paladin guild, which is still archaic in its design style. And after that, the Rangers.

---
"Close your eyes -
Re: MPP/COL 01/30/2008 04:11 PM CST
>Personally, I think the most neglected guild, at the moment, is the Paladin guild, which is still archaic in its design style. And after that, the Rangers.

Traders have even less dev. Other than that, I agree.
Re: MPP/COL 01/30/2008 04:16 PM CST
>>Traders have even less dev. Other than that, I agree.

Well, I use terms in weird ways sometimes. =P

Traders definitely have the prize for most underdeveloped guild in the history of MMORPGs, but the Lore Rewrite does put them in the dev spotlight, which makes them less neglected than Paladins and Rangers, both of which are guilds designed in a painfully hybrid style.

Sometimes, it makes me wonder whether we should think of guilds in terms of their tert skillsets, rather than their primary ones. But that just screams of negative thinking, heh.

---
"Close your eyes -
Re: MPP/COL 01/30/2008 10:19 PM CST
I don't mean make crap held mana necessarily, just have multiple uses and have the spell grow with the caster (like benediction).

The self-cast harm horde was just an example of how something could do two things and be one spell, not necessarily a good example of how to accomplish that goal.

I am --- Navak
Re: MPP/COL 01/30/2008 11:20 PM CST
>touch orb
You weave the Doom Spell into your Osrel Meraud.
>turn orb to doom
You focus the Osrel on Dooming your enemies.
>invoke orb
You invoke Doom.
>gesture navak
You place Doom upon Navak, because your TM is awesome enough to do it.
>'Bye!
You wave goodbye to the Doomed victim.
>north

5 minutes later.
* Navak was just struck down! By doom.

Imagine this applied to five different people at once.

---
"Close your eyes -
Prev_page Previous 1