Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: MPP/COL 01/30/2008 11:53 PM CST
And whenever you look at your target you should see a number counting down over their head.

- Player of Foresee

"You're right, we're all against you and actively work to stymie your guild's development. I'm twirling my mustache at the sheer thought." - DR-Armifer
Re: MPP/COL 01/31/2008 12:50 AM CST
>>Trying to argue that Clerics suck, are hated by GMs, never get anything et cetera by pointing to a slightly anemic spellbook ignores the fact that Cleric spells on the whole are very versatile and provide a great deal of utility depending on how they are used.

I still disagree.

I'm not arguing that Clerics suck or are hated and never was. My argument was that Clerics have a few really neat spells that are top-tier, but I could point to Moon Mages and Warrior Mages and see the same things. The "value" of a Cleric spell slot is not somehow magically more valuable than a Moon Mage spell slot. The same considerations of usefulness, function, and cost v. reward go into a spell's design regardless of guild.

Cleric spells aren't proportionately better than Moon Mage spells != Cleric spells suck.

Moon Mages may have more, quote, "useless" spells because they have many more spells. Likewise, however, looking at the spell lists I can see more Moon Mage and Warrior Mage spells I would take in a heart-beat simply by virtue of there being a larger pool of selection.
Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror.
Re: MPP/COL 01/31/2008 03:12 AM CST
<<Our most defining spells and abilities are, in a lot of cases, pretty mediocre if not flat out unusable when we get them unless you vastly overtrained your magics.

By this logic (and I agree with you completely, especially after the recent Next Spell discussion) , would you say the guild needs some quality mid-level spells to help round it out some more?

Don't get me wrong having a clerical spell of doom would totally rock, but for the sake of guild balance would this not be better?

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: MPP/COL 01/31/2008 04:29 AM CST
I don't know if it needs to be prioritized, but it's going to follow that expanding the spellbook is going to provide new spells and options at all levels of skill.

Generally when people ask I tell them not to get Benediction at 30th, but they might as well take it later in the 30s since you'll be a bit more capable of using it then and there's not a ton of dramatically compelling alternatives. If our spellbook gets to the point where it's viable to put Benediction off into the mid to upper 40s simply because there's a lot of interesting alternatives, so much the better.

If you look at War Mages or Moon Mages, the magic primes with more filled out spellbooks, you don't tend to notice huge skews in spell tier distribution or in development - they simply have more of everything. It's going to follow that the same will happen with us, particularly since not all spell concepts need to be 4th or 5th tier to be good solid choices.

Also consider this - the tier of our spellbook with the most representation? Third.

Syralon
"'Every apostle or disciple,' Mrs. Clark says, 'as much as they're running to follow their savior - they're running just as hard to escape something else.'"
Re: MPP/COL 01/31/2008 05:51 AM CST
<<Also consider this - the tier of our spellbook with the most representation? Third.

Wouldn't that mean there should be more 1st and 2nd tier spells and thus more middle level spells? Just trying to understand here. Honestly I've never seen a WM or MM spell tree before thus I don't have never compared. But once I get to go home, I'll try and find or make one.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

-Z
Re: MPP/COL 01/31/2008 06:33 AM CST
>>Wouldn't that mean there should be more 1st and 2nd tier spells and thus more middle level spells? Just trying to understand here. Honestly I've never seen a WM or MM spell tree before thus I don't have never compared.

Cleric WM MM
T1 4 13 7
T2 7 11 12
T3 13 12 12
T4 7 5 12
T5 1 0 2

We have a pretty balanced spellbook that has plenty of room to expand in lower and upper tiers alike.

~Aeth
Re: MPP/COL 01/31/2008 07:05 AM CST
Interesting, thanks for the numbers Aeth.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

-Z
Re: MPP/COL 01/31/2008 12:53 PM CST
>>Outside of the quantity/quality argument, something to note is that Clerics are a very late-blooming guild.

I couldn't agree more with you, m'friend. The better my magic skills, the more useful all the spells along all tiers are proving to be.

My gripe with the cleric guild is the vocal negatively that has taken place over time. While I understand it, it tends to get nothing accomplished. Personally, I feel we're in a golden era of our development as a guild at this point, from the standpoint that we have extremely thorough and innovative GMs behind the scenes. Unfortunately, it is always a game of patience, as the cleric guild cannot be a priority over mechanics that affect every player type in Dragonrealms.

Still, the idea of community leaders intrigues me because it allows us to come together in a forum with guided discussion (hopefully) that can lead us towards a direction with which we will all feel comfortable and perhaps look to with a tinge of optimism, given the large strides the guild has made in the last 3 years.

The thought of having a bit of affect over our own development is appealing.

- Tyrun
Re: MPP/COL 02/03/2008 02:57 PM CST
<<vocal negatively that has taken place over time>>

The positive people arent as vocal and dont post as much :)
in the spirit of conflict. i hate Ragran. vocal skills could use some work buddy.
Peace.

Verbal!
Re: MPP/COL 02/04/2008 07:17 AM CST
u sumuhmuh

:oP Ragran
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page