Prev_page Previous 1
Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/02/2013 02:08 PM CST
I'm sitting at 141 PM currently. The wikipedia listing for SOL in 3.0 states 15/100 for the spell prep and it being an Advanced, 3 slot spell. Anyone have any idea yet what sort of numbers are going to be required for that spell's result to equal or surpass a 40 volume Damite+ Tower shield?

I believe the glass is half full, of toxic chemicals and deadly parasitic microbes.
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/02/2013 03:28 PM CST
I would hope never (moon blades never compare to haluran/kertig weapons for instance), but not sure. Comparing it to moonblade, it seems creating 'changeable' gear costs 2 slots, and it also gives you a shield bonus as well (for its third slot). SoL is a utility/augment spell vs moonblade just being a utility (confirming its giving some shield bonus). I also seem to recall hearing if you cast it with a shield in hand that you get that shield bonus now, even without the created shield.

My expectation would be like other 'create an item' spell is it would compare to top end high carbon steel types, but not special metals (otherwise, thats pretty silly!). Not sure when the spell reaches its quality cap, but I imagine more mana past that will still result in a higher shield skill buff.
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/02/2013 04:11 PM CST
>> rewyn

Why cant SOL cap shields? It requires far more work then owning a damite shield (once you own it).

You compared it to moonblade but divine armor is a better comparison. That spell takes lower tier armor and can essentially cap it, probably better then rare armor.

So yeah, the only point i see you making is you dont want clerics to have a spell you deem is too powerful.
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/02/2013 04:15 PM CST
Doesn't shield of light physically create a shield and not just enhance it like divine armor? If so the spell is nothing like divine armor, and moonblade should be the comparison. Last i knew moonblade capped at High carbon steel, and i think that required having weaponsmithing techniques.
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/02/2013 04:34 PM CST
I suppose I could have clarified it a bit better in the original question. What I was really trying to ask was, "Is SOL ever going to be worth using over a top end crafted shield and if so, when?"

However if we want to have a discussion about it, if the requirements are set high enough then having a personal shield that can be dispelled and can't be given away/sold, as well as requiring some sort of upkeep in the mana department shouldn't automatically mean it can't equal the quality of mundane shields in my eyes.

I'm saying that in a very unbiased way, since if it proves true that the SOL will never equal the protection capability of a crafted shield then I'll be using one of those.

I believe the glass is half full, of toxic chemicals and deadly parasitic microbes.
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/02/2013 06:21 PM CST
>>Why cant SOL cap shields? It requires far more work then owning a damite shield (once you own it).

SOL Creates an item. A damite shield requires about 3.2K platinum, casting a spell requires nothing. There are no spells that create boats for you either, as if a spell could replace thousands of ranks of crafting, countless hours of mining and hunting, then EVERYONE would just get a Shield of Light Scroll (remember in 3.0 almost every spell is available to every guild via scrolls..) and the crafting market for shields would not exist.

>>You compared it to moonblade but divine armor is a better comparison. That spell takes lower tier armor and can essentially cap it, probably better then rare armor.

No it isnt. Moonblade creates an item, DA enhances an existing armor. You cannot cast DA on on store armor and cap it, this was tested on the test realm with Raesh (I believe. Mr Bard Fury was present for it). With capped Luminium I was getting no where near cap when the GM cast a full 100 mana, capped skill DA. That is because enhancer spells run into a diminishing returns/hard cap as far as what they can enhance(this includes shields).

>>So yeah, the only point i see you making is you dont want clerics to have a spell you deem is too powerful.

A spell that would be compared to EVERYTHING in the realm too powerful, yes. No spell for any guilds hands out free special metal quality gear. The spell functions similar to moon blade and has the enhanced effect of also boosting your shield skill, which raises it from 2 slots (moonblade) to 3. Its a combination utility/augment skill which raises it from basic to advanced.

>>I suppose I could have clarified it a bit better in the original question. What I was really trying to ask was, "Is SOL ever going to be worth using over a top end crafted shield and if so, when?"

1) there would be no reason to ever have a top end crafted shield if that was the case, and crafting as a whole would take a deep hit (see Shield of Light scrolls in 3.0). If you think your spell which creates for you a free top steel shield for free then I think plenty of other guilds would gladly take it.
2) Shield of Light gives you a shield boost, which as far as I can tell in 3.0 will work if you use a crafted shield. This means that spell is ALWAYS useful.

>>However if we want to have a discussion about it, if the requirements are set high enough then having a personal shield that can be dispelled and can't be given away/sold, as well as requiring some sort of upkeep in the mana department shouldn't automatically mean it can't equal the quality of mundane shields in my eyes.

1) With my meager magic skills on test I can maintain a great number of buffs (intro/basic/advanced) and a cyclical. Maintaining a shield that does not need to be repaired, weighs practically nothing and gives less than normal hindrance is unlikely to hamper your magics much.
2) The game is not balanced around people walking into combat with damite gear. If you want damite gear, buy it. You can still cast SoL as far as I can see and enjoy the shield skill bonus.
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/02/2013 07:05 PM CST

A lot of arguing but I still don't see any substantive answer to the question.

I really don't know. Shield of Light in 2.0 has been one of the best shields in the realms but I haven't seen a comparison of what SOL is in 3.0.

It really is immaterial what 'should' be- just what is.

Even if SOL is not as superior as it has been, that it will now convey a shield bonus versus all attacks plus has the versatility of being able to change shapes.

Anyone have a good appraisal for the top end SOL in 3.0 so we can compare it to forged shields?
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/02/2013 07:13 PM CST
Not a Cleric so cant compare, but from my discussions with a GM on 3.0 regarding DA, the upper effects of DA were not adjusted, only spread out over its new mana range. From what I understand this is going to the be the case with most buff spells, and moonblades do not appraise any different in 3.0 when capped. I expect if SoL capped at say, 50 mana in 2.0 (arbitrary number) that you will get the same effect in 3.0 at 100 mana (keep in mind, that mana is totally different in 3.0).

A cleric would need to confirm but I presumption based on evidence is SoL works exactly like it does in 2.0 minus the mana range, except that it now also gives you a shield skill bonus and can be cast if you already have a material shield to gain that shield skill bonus.
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/02/2013 07:17 PM CST

Okay I just signed into test and tried SOL- and I don't know whether I can cap it or not but for a tower I get low to great protection, 'sever impact and weighs 100 stone.
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/02/2013 07:57 PM CST

Heh. 100 stones? Rewyn didnt u just say it weighed nothing? Another case of you clamoring for change when you dont have a clue.

Pointless to argue SOL shouldn't do X when it only does Y. You could do that with every spell. Just one more spell to add to your list of OPness while you police 3.0 balance, except paladins ofc.
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/02/2013 08:16 PM CST
I said

"weighs practically nothing"

A bad choice of words, but not far off considering.

Here is a comparison vs capped steel tower shield

You put your tower shield on the counter.

Naissura hefts the tower shield and puts it on the medium balance scale. She patiently adds small sacks of stones on the other side till the beam becomes exactly level.

Naissura squints at the balance beam needle and says, "The shield weighs about two hundred fifteen stones," and puts the shield on the counter.

You pay Naissura and take your shield off the counter.

You are certain that it imposes significant (10/15) maneuvering hindrance.

This shield is large in size.

Your experience with shields allows a better appraisal of the protection capabilities.

You are certain that the shield offers low (7/26) to great (16/26) protection.

You are certain that it could do:
no (0/26) puncture damage
no (0/26) slice damage
severe (13/26) impact damage

You are certain that the shield is inadequately (4/15) balanced and is reasonably (7/15) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the tower shield is quite guarded against damage (12/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

The tower shield is made with metal.
It appears that the tower shield can be worn on the left arm.
You believe that the tower shield weighs around 215 stones.

So your shield weighs less than half(46%), has no issues with being dinged, has the same stats (it seems like, you said low to great right?) and I bet you has way better hindrance than capped steel.

Thats already a very sexy spell, AND it gives you a shield skill bonus?

This has nothing to do with guilds, and you pointing a finger at my vocal nature to undermine my point is really just childish. Asking for the ability to create damite shields at will is ridicoulous; your basically asking for a spell to create tier 6 gear for you, better than quest items and as good as any player could create in the game. There is no precedence in the game for anything like that. You effectively want something that create you a shield out of nothing (super convinient) that offers better than steel hindrance and weight to also compare to a damite shield?

While I'm biased, your simply delusional.
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/02/2013 08:34 PM CST
>>A damite shield requires about 3.2K platinum

While I do think that SOL shouldn't create T5+ shields, this price point is kinda useless since it was determined by players.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/02/2013 09:24 PM CST
In 3.0, SoL will boost shield skill on a worn (held?) shield, so it's never useless. And it has a very long duration. In 2.0, even with moderate pm (say, 200-300) I found the spell useless even vs. undead, because it 'only' apped the same as a tanned buckler, and the buckler never needed charging. Personally, I'd say if you can get any duration out of the shield buff over 10 minutes, then it's a great spell.

And why is your cleric with 100 PM using an expensive shield at all, let alone a tower? That's just weird. You're not getting a whole lot of bang for the cost, and you're tanking your evasion.

Clerics also lack shield in their SOI, so shield 'stuff' is going to be minimal, remember.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/02/2013 11:45 PM CST
>Clerics also lack shield in their SOI

No they don't. Shield is in Cleric's SoI.

>entire thread

I'm pretty sure any item creation spells will follow the same general guidelines. You'll get low end forged quality with the base spell and no techs, you'll get comparable to Medium Carbon Steel with techs.

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Post:What_spells_do_you_keep_in_your_moonblade_and_why%3F_-_11/17/2011_-_16:21 - Comparable to low end forging
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Post:Moonstaff!!1_-_12/27/2011_-_09:26 - Comparable to Medium Carbon Steel

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/02/2013 11:50 PM CST
>> Rewyn

Your argument is terrible. You act like someone who has, for example, 1000 PM, didn't earn it, so therefore can't have a good shield. Yet someone who spent 3200 platinums should be able to? Which is actually harder to get?

Also, repairing is negligible. Anyone can repair shields/armor with minimal investment, it's only expensive if you repair at a shop.

Also, your comparison to moon blade is severely lacking. Moonblade in its current incarnation can STORE spells and release them, they can be split to provide FREE AMMO for TKS. That's FREE WEIGHTLESS AMMO that never has to be repaired. Plus all kinds of other uses...

You also aren't taking into account that 3.0 changed hindrance from weight of shield to something else, there is so many factors that are in play here that you completely dismiss that are important.

Just stop.
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/02/2013 11:58 PM CST
>Just stop.

Take your own advice. You're mixing up Moonblade in 2.0 and 3.0, and pushing information that's incorrect for both as well.

>FREE WEIGHTLESS AMMO that never has to be repaired. Plus all kinds of other uses...

Free weightless ammo that can only be used once and is destroyed on impact. Zero other uses for the slivers.

>Moonblade in its current incarnation can STORE spells

Which is irrelevant to the discussion of 3.0 spells. It requires a Metaspell with its own cost to add this function in 3.0.

>You also aren't taking into account that 3.0 changed hindrance from weight of shield to something else

I have no idea what you're talking about. Weight has always just been weight, and there's always been a Hinderance stat on shields.

"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/03/2013 12:16 AM CST
>> Free weightless ammo that can only be used once and is destroyed on impact. Zero other uses for the slivers.

Which you can recast, it's very awesome. I wouldn't dismiss it because it doesn't seem good for you to use.

>> Which is irrelevant to the discussion of 3.0 spells. It requires a Metaspell with its own cost to add this function in 3.0.

It's very relevant. He was comparing SOL to Moonblade.

>> I have no idea what you're talking about. Weight has always just been weight, and there's always been a Hinderance stat on shields.

Nope. Why do you think the lowest weight shields are the best? Even if shields have always had their own hindrance, weight itself further penalized shield, through hindrance or directly in the combat code. That's gone in 3.0, so weight doesn't have any further combat implications beyond weight itself.

It always turns into GvG with Rewyn. Seriously annoying. It always "x is better then y," "x should be y." And then you read through 10 posts and realize he has no idea what he's talking about. Zzz.
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/03/2013 12:32 AM CST
>>Which you can recast, it's very awesome. I wouldn't dismiss it because it doesn't seem good for you to use.

While its nice to have a potential ammo source its really not the bees knees. We have to sacrifice a weapon (hopefully not the one youre using at the time) to do so and the amount of slivers depends on skill and mana and you need to use them before they wander off on their own. Really the only reason why slivers are any good isnt due to the slivers.. its due to the fact that in 3.0 multistrike spells (TKT) are king. That and the fact that they are thrown first by the spell. If I could choose other ammo I would in a heart beat.

>>It's very relevant. He was comparing SOL to Moonblade.

He was comparing the 3.0 moonblade to SOL 3.0. Moonblade 3.0 currently has no spell storage function. There is a planned empower moonblade spell but nothing about its function has been confirmed other than some semblance of the storage function will be part of it. It may or may not work the same way.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

"Power is merely a stepping stone to more power."
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/03/2013 02:42 AM CST
>>It's very relevant. He was comparing SOL to Moonblade.

The 2 slot aspect of both spells is to create an item that is shapeable. That is directly comparable. The third slot for you a shield boost where Moonblade can get an additional affect as a meta. That is noise.

>>Nope. Why do you think the lowest weight shields are the best? Even if shields have always had their own hindrance, weight itself further penalized shield, through hindrance or directly in the combat code. That's gone in 3.0, so weight doesn't have any further combat implications beyond weight itself.

A number of x factors are adjusted in 3.0, but the fact remains your are getting a crafting comparable shield that cant be broken for free that has below normal hindrance. If you can point out where that is not in line with other 'create an item' spells, I would like to see it. Moon Blades do not gain above average suitability or balance compared to capped crafting, but they can be used for ammo. That seems in line with your below average hindrance values.

>>It always turns into GvG with Rewyn. Seriously annoying. It always "x is better then y," "x should be y." And then you read through 10 posts and realize he has no idea what he's talking about. Zzz.

If throwing the GvG label at something somehow makes you feel you can ignore the hole in your logic here, feel free. I did not bring my guild into this at any time other than clarifying how divine armor works when it was brought up inaccurately as an apples to apples comparison with shield of light. You are asking for something that has no precedence in the current game design, basically for free tier 6 gear on a spell that could be available to all magic users via scrolls (as almost everything in 3.0 is).

Frankly you are being overly defensive on what is frankly an absurd request. If you somehow feel shorted on the cleric 3.0 changes, then I would like whatever you are smoking.
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/03/2013 07:36 AM CST
>The 2 slot aspect of both spells is to create an item that is shapeable. That is directly comparable.

Only so far as you can compare apples and oranges because they are both 'a type of fruit'. Weapon =\= shield.

>Clerics do have shield in SOI.

Oh, sorry; I haven't read that in forever and assumed sol was a relic from having it forever, and that armor terms didn't get armor as SOI.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/03/2013 08:14 AM CST
>Why do you think the lowest weight shields are the best?

The same reason that the lowest weight shields are the best in crafting 2.0. The cap doesn't depend on the weight. While this is still the case to some degree in Crafting 3.0, there are so many various templates that are slightly different to cap.

>It always turns into GvG with Rewyn

He made a logical comparison, especially since Moonblade has been compared to the planned WM weapon creation spells. Why would a Shield creation spell get to create Tier 5+ stuff when no weapon creation spell can? Regardless of what else the spell does, or how many slots it costs, creating an item from nothing, and having it be any forged quality, is powerful. If you don't want the spell because it doesn't make capped rare metal quality shields, take your own advice.

>I wouldn't dismiss it because it doesn't seem good for you to use.

And, for the record, I was just correcting so fallacious statements you had made, not dismissing it.

Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/03/2013 09:18 AM CST
In 3.0, here are the stats I was able to obtain with a 90 mana cast of the spell. These look pretty similar to what I remember having in DR 2.0:
Shield type Shaped into a Tower Shield Shaped into an Oval Shield Shaped into Target Shield Player-Made Arm-Worn Croc-Buckler Player-Made Arm-Worn Croc-Buckler with SOL Buff
Hindrance Moderate Minor Insignificant Fair Fair
Size Large Medium Small Small Small
Protection Low to Great Poor to Very Good Dismal to Better than Fair Very Poor to Moderate Very Poor to Moderate
puncture damage no no no no no
slice damage no no no no no
impact damage severe very heavy moderate very heavy very heavy
fire damage no no no no no
cold damage no no no no no
electric damage no no no no no
Balance Inadequate Fairly Decently Decently Decently
Extra Attack Reasonably Decently Poorly Poorly Poorly
Construction Average Average Average Marginally Vulnerable Marginally Vulnerable
Material Metal Metal Metal Croc Hide Croc Hide
Wearable? Over the shoulder Left Arm Left Arm Left Arm Left Arm
Weight 100 62 33 33 33

What does this mean? Well I'm unsure, but clearly the buff from SOL is not in the stats of the shield itself. So I have no idea what how to measure it. I will say that medium arm-worn shield looks to be my favorite option at the moment until I learn more about how the buff works.
Nikpack
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/03/2013 09:20 AM CST
My understanding is that, when you have the proper weapon techs, moonblades currently function as roughly (if not exactly) the midsteel equivalent of a masterful weapon. I don't find this notably unbalancing. It would make perfect sense for SoL to function similarly.

But, from the sound of things, SoL might already be functioning similar to that, only without the tech requirement and at a notably advantageous weight difference. Moonblades created are done so with stats comparable to their weight/density, I'm not sure SoL is even taking that into account right now. It's not like moonblades have the stats of a 5 density midsteel X while weighing half what it should. Instead, it has the stats comparable to something midsteel at a similar weight.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/03/2013 09:50 AM CST
I'm not an authority on the current craftable shield (thus the usage of the croc-buckler from 2007), but my 15 minutes of research seems to suggest these stats for SOL shields appear to be in the Tier 4/5 stat range with reduced weights.

These are what I can find as endprizes in the current quest, and the SOL 3.0 is generally outclassed by them, except for the Iron-banded_shield_with_a_leather_grip, which has a special trader appraisal:

Prison Riot: The Aftermath:
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Shield:Iron-banded_shield_with_a_leather_grip
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Shield:Triple-reinforced_vardite_pavise_shield

Akigwe's Legacy: Secrets of the Tower Quest
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Shield:Badly_misshapen_bone_shield
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Shield:Darkened_leather_siege_shield
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Shield:Soot_stained_variegated_buckler

Nikpack
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/03/2013 10:13 AM CST
The Akigwe's Legacy appraisals do not use the new app values and are thus inaccurate(notice there is a disclaimer on each page about the apps being inaccurate). Its a great idea though, but I'm not sure where to get accurate appraisals for shields in Akigwe's Legacy.

It's most directly comparable to that iron banded shield which seems on the very low end of tier 5 (similar stats to capped steel but with far less weight(150 vs 215) and a special trader function, and lowered hindrance(9/16 vs 10/16)

In either case compared to a quest item, SOL is 50 stones lighter, and has moderate hindrance vs noticeable hindrance. A -poof- out of no where tier 5 shield and you also get an shield skill booster.

>>..but clearly the buff from SOL is not in the stats of the shield itself

As far as I have read, SoI only affects the boost to skills from skill enhancers that you cast, so casting SOL gets you the maximum shield bonus possible based off your skill/mana/etc.
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/03/2013 10:13 AM CST
>>These are what I can find as endprizes in the current quest, and the SOL 3.0 is generally outclassed by them

I know I bang this gong on a daily basis, but it is very important to compare things that are similar weight when saying if something outclasses something else.

That vardite pavise shield is 520 stones. SoL in tower form is 100 stones. That is a very important distinction in 3.0

Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/03/2013 10:45 AM CST
<<The Akigwe's Legacy appraisals do not use the new app values and are thus inaccurate(notice there is a disclaimer on each page about the apps being inaccurate). Its a great idea though, but I'm not sure where to get accurate appraisals for shields in Akigwe's Legacy.

I missed that. Thanks for pointing that out.

<<In either case compared to a quest item, SOL is 50 stones lighter, and has moderate hindrance vs noticeable hindrance. A -poof- out of no where tier 5 shield and you also get an shield skill booster.
and
<<I know I bang this gong on a daily basis, but it is very important to compare things that are similar weight when saying if something outclasses something else.

I totally agree, and a listing of forged shields would help to make a better comparison.
Anyone have a list somewhere?

Nikpack
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/03/2013 10:51 AM CST
It's not as fleshed out as the weapon one (my guess is because epedia doesn't have an armor version of Caraamon), but there are some shield templates pages made on epedia: http://elanthipedia.org/wiki/Armorsmithing_Products#Shield_Design

Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/03/2013 01:12 PM CST
Thank you sir!

Comparing my values to similar weighted items, storm bull looks to be one of the best materials around and makes a good comparison candidate.

Note, the weight values aren't exact, and I had to use the targe shield template instead of the oval shield one SOL uses. I feel OK about the weights because it's 3 stones for the target shield, and the heaviest three targes are 50, 50, and 57 stones with little variation among them.

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Shield:Target_shield_(crafted)
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Shield:Targe_(crafted)
MaterialSizeHindHeld-BasicHeld-FullWorn-BasicWorn-FullImpactBalSuitConstWt
Bull, Storm target shieldsmall3 - Light3 - Dismal12 - Good3 - Dismal8 - Fair9 - Heavy6 - Decently3 - Poorly7 - Appreciably Susceptible30
Bull, Storm targemedium04 - Minor04 - Very Poor13 - Very Good04 - Very Poor10 - Moderate10 - Very Heavy06 - Decently03 - Poorly07 - Appreciably Susceptible50

Compared with my other table (which were all full held appraisals), these data suggest to me that player-crafted shields out-perform SOL slightly, but SOL allows a cleric to wear an medium arm-worn shield for added versatility.

Nikpack
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/03/2013 02:16 PM CST
Thank you Nikpack and everyone else who has contributed to the discussion and helped to answer the question. I surely didn't mean to take a beat stick to a hornets nest on this matter!

Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/03/2013 05:21 PM CST
Hey, I liked to learn more about the spell as well.

Learning is best done with data, no?

Nikpack
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/03/2013 06:28 PM CST
Agreed. I like when we can have these sorts of discussions without it derailing into finger pointing.

I think in general this thread taught me how much the documentation on elantheapedia about quest shields and shield templates needs to be updated!
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/03/2013 07:09 PM CST
The weapon template results on epedia are amazing at giving me a great understanding of how raffle/quest/etc stuff compares to forged gear.

Kinda wish someone would do it for armor/tailoring/etc!

I'd fill out what I can, but you might be surprised that there is little need for data on the utility tree of blacksmithing. At least for now.

Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/03/2013 07:14 PM CST
Your welcome!

If any of the armorsmiths want to work with me, I'd be glad to accept your data and consolidate it, and post it once I have enough.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/03/2013 07:38 PM CST
What kinda of data do you want for armors? I can probably rips through most of them in steel, etc... for baselines.

Player of Ryken
---
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." ~ Doug Larson

AIM - RykenDR
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/03/2013 08:16 PM CST
>>I can probably rips through most of them in steel, etc... for baselines.

A good starting point is midsteel everything at 5 density.

Then high steel at various densities if you want to go crazy but provide some great data.

Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/03/2013 09:08 PM CST
>What kinda of data do you want for armors? I can probably rips through most of them in steel, etc... for baselines.

non-weighted medium carbon steel would be a decent starting point.

Then as many weights in high carbon as you can stand doing. If you need steel made, I'm willing to contribute by making it.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/04/2013 08:28 AM CST
A little late to this discussion, but the advantage of using an SoL (besides the awesome looks you can get for it at fests and such) is the boost to the shield skill, not in the appraisal of the shield itself. I'd rather have a magical glowy shield with a decent appraisal and a skill buff than a great shield with no buff.
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/04/2013 10:18 AM CST
<<A little late to this discussion, but the advantage of using an SoL (besides the awesome looks you can get for it at fests and such) is the boost to the shield skill, not in the appraisal of the shield itself. I'd rather have a magical glowy shield with a decent appraisal and a skill buff than a great shield with no buff.

But from my understanding, I don't think that's how it works.

Do you get the skill buff if you use the SOL-made shield instead of casting SOL while using a physical one? My understanding was the latter only worked.

I could be very wrong though.

Nikpack
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/04/2013 11:16 AM CST
>>Do you get the skill buff if you use the SOL-made shield instead of casting SOL while using a physical one? My understanding was the latter only worked.

My understanding was you only get the buff with the former, though I haven't even touched it in 3.0.
Prev_page Previous 1