Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/04/2013 11:37 AM CST
My understanding in 3.0 is you get the buff regardless. If you already have a shield held/worn, you still get the skill buff and perceiving still shows the spell is active on you without the created shield. A cleric would need to confirm that though.
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/04/2013 01:34 PM CST
Below is a quick test if the various ways one can use SOL.

In the first two cases, when I have a buckler either worn on my left arm or held in my left hand, I receive messaging that indicates that I am receiving a shield buff ("A fiery blaze covers your shield arm like a vambrace of solid sunlight."). Yet when I just cast SOL with no shield available, the spell just states that a shield appears (In a fiery blaze, a luminous tower shield appears in your left hand.) with indication of an extra shield boost. Under all three trials tested, the SOL messaging when I PERCEIVE appears the same.

TLDR Conclusion: A shield boost is applied when one already has a shield available. There is no indication of a shield boost when making a shield of light, which leads me to believe that the boost isn't applied, but a more thorough test should be done to test it (such as a combat test).

With Buckler Worn on Arm

tap buckler
You tap a crocodile-skin buckler that you are wearing.

pow
You reach out with your senses and see flaring streams of golden Holy mana radiating through the area.
Letting your senses extend further, you feel there is luminous mana to the northwest, luminous mana to the south, and luminous mana to the east.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

prep sol
Since you're not feeding enough power into the spell pattern to make it coherent, you quickly work your way to the minimum required.
That won't affect your current attunement very much.
You begin chanting a psalm to invoke the Shield of Light spell.

cast
You gesture.

A fiery blaze covers your shield arm like a vambrace of solid sunlight.

pow
You reach out with your senses and see flaring streams of golden Holy mana radiating through the area.
Letting your senses extend further, you feel there is luminous mana to the northwest, luminous mana to the south, and luminous mana to the east.
You sense the Shield of Light spell upon you, which will last for about ten roisaen.
You feel fully rested.

glance
You glance down at your empty hands.

With Buckler Held in Left Hand
pow

remove buckler
You loosen the straps securing your crocodile-skin buckler and remove it.

glance
You glance down to see a crocodile-skin buckler in your left hand.

prep sol
Since you're not feeding enough power into the spell pattern to make it coherent, you quickly work your way to the minimum required.

cast
You gesture.
A fiery blaze covers your shield arm like a vambrace of solid sunlight.

glance
You glance down to see a crocodile-skin buckler in your left hand.

pow
You sense the Shield of Light spell upon you, which will last for about ten roisaen.

With Buckler Stored in my Pack
You glance down at your empty hands.

pow

prep sol

cast
You gesture.
In a fiery blaze, a luminous tower shield appears in your left hand.
You feel fully rested.

pow
A carrion beetle with elaborate lurid red markings on its wing covers clambers in a tiny circle on your shoulder to change its line of sight as it looks about.

glance
You glance down to see a luminous tower shield in your left hand.

Nikpack
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/04/2013 04:09 PM CST
>>If any of the armorsmiths want to work with me, I'd be glad to accept your data and consolidate it, and post it once I have enough.

Caraamon, I have a ton of data already recorded on armors (not so much on shields since the new apps). We should talk sometime before you spend a lot of time and energy on it. IM me sometime if you want to (IM is Eyuve).

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Forged Shields vs SOL 3.0 01/04/2013 04:34 PM CST

Interesting Nikpack. I am not certain I agree with your conclusions, but hopefully we will get some feedback from a GM on it- we seem mostly to have moved past the days of play and find out.

I will be sad if we don't get the boost with our SOL- my very expensive custom SOL will go the way of many other pretty things if the only way I can get the shield boost is by using a physical shield.
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page