Prev_page Previous 1 3
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 02:07 AM CDT
Interesting. Not to bad honestly. Performing did go up higher than our base instrument skill requirements, but that is to be expected. When Bardic Lore gets put in, do you think it will be on par with the Performing req or with 1st Lore req? Also, if you can answer it, will enchantes (new cyclic spells) still teach performing as part of using them? If not, I anticipate the guild halls might start filling up again as bards have to sit to practice Performing. Oh, and thank you for having no restricted skills! It really reinforces the 'jack of all trades' that some bards like to do! Lets us branch out and each try to be our own bard.
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 02:21 AM CDT
>>When Bardic Lore gets put in, do you think it will be on par with the Performing req or with 1st Lore req?

Probably one of those two. Not sure yet.

>>will enchantes (new cyclic spells) still teach performing as part of using them?

I don't THINK so but you raise a valid point. I'll sync with the Magic folks and the Bard folks.

>>Oh, and thank you for having no restricted skills! It really reinforces the 'jack of all trades' that some bards like to do!

Yeah! The most commonly restricted skills are stealing, which seems bardy, and sorcery, which is in tune with the 'dabbling with all manner of magic' idea.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 02:36 AM CDT
>>will enchantes (new cyclic spells) still teach performing as part of using them?

>I don't THINK so but you raise a valid point. I'll sync with the Magic folks and the Bard folks.

Thank you for looking in to this. With our combat requirements as they are, we will be hard pressed to learn performing without any gain from enchantes as instruments can't be played while in combat. Nor can instruments be played while holding crafting tools (as we work on our other lore reqs). This Performing req might turn out to be a very difficult req indeed.
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 04:21 AM CDT
> Yeah! The most commonly restricted skills are stealing, which seems bardy, and sorcery, which is in tune with the 'dabbling with all manner of magic' idea.

Yeah, I'm very pleased to see this, not that I expect to actually take advantage of it.
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 06:16 AM CDT
Do note that Socharis and I have hatched a plan to make Performing more interesting (and rewarding) to train, it's just a matter of when one of us finds time to develop the system. I know that's not promising much, but it is an issue we're aware of and walking into with eyes open.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 06:58 AM CDT
Looks like we also dropped our second armor requirement? Just making sure that's true. Not that it seems to matter, I've never had a problem training any of the armors, it is more of an issue when I've made random decisions to switch my armor and I'm trying to backtrain. Still debating if Bone Armor will ever be interesting . . .

>Yeah! The most commonly restricted skills are stealing, which seems bardy, and sorcery, which is in tune with the 'dabbling with all manner of magic' idea.

I'll also join into the chorus of Bard's praising this decision. I'm looking forward to the sorcery system in 3.0.

I remember there being some lists of the various formulas for the skill combines and the like, and then being told that they were so tentative they weren't worth looking at. Does anyone else know if there's anything I can use a guide of what to expect?

Is Performing a hard or soft requirement? Everything seems to indicate that it is a hard requirement, but I just wanted to confirm that explicitly.

On our weapons requirements, I'm not complaining but more of asking my fellow Bards how their training of weapons compares to other skills. My weapons skills are consistently the restricting factor of when I circle. And it's not even close, they are 20 circles behind anything else (lowest Lores/Magic). I feel like I am in combat as much as possible, but it just feels like it moves a lot slower for me than everything else.

~~
Lupdels
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 07:39 AM CDT
All looks well to me and pretty thematic. Thanks!

I'm going to need to build a circle calculator spreadsheet before I can say whether or not I have any personal issues with the reqs, though. At a top glance everything looks good to me though :)

Thanks again for all your work with this!

~Leilond
http://tinyurl.com/Leilond-Portrait
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 07:42 AM CDT
>>...asking my fellow Bards how their training of weapons compares to other skills.

Weapons were never an issue for me. The only thing that ever held me back was Appraisal, and occasionally Strings.

~Leilond
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 07:55 AM CDT
Oh, also, I seem to recall that Bardic Lore would get an exp bump similar to Warrior Mage Summoning and another guild's guild-only skill, due to the fact that we won't have that many ways to train it. Is that still the case?

I seem to recall that instrument playing would no longer teach it so I'm just curious :)

~Leilond
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 09:14 AM CDT
>...asking my fellow Bards how their training of weapons compares to other skills.

Weapons is the only thing I need for about 10 circles.
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 09:37 AM CDT
Weapons always hold me back.

However, with a beefier change in low circles, newer bards shouldn't have the same sort of handicap that (I feel) we've had in the past.

Start early!

Also, I approve of these reqs.
_______
Want to be a Necromancer? Use this flowchart. Totally Xerasyth approved.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Ysselt/Necroflowchart
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 10:06 AM CDT
I'm also always held back by weapons and strings, amusingly enough. I always personally laughed inwardly at the armor requirements, because I couldn't imagine reaching the required weapon ranks without well-surpassing what I needed for armor, unless I got my weapon ranks from listening to classes (but why would you do that when combat just provides such better training?).

In any case, the new requirements look great.

I did have one question brought up by the discussion of training of performance via our enchantes... will all of the enchantes be freed from instrument requirements? I seem to recall that being the case, but I can't find anything to back that up now.

-Broichan Leshyahen

> hum tuneless
You hum a tuneless tune.
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 10:16 AM CDT
>>Looks like we also dropped our second armor requirement?

Yep

>>will all of the enchantes be freed from instrument requirements?

This is more of a Magicky question, but yes. You won't explicitly need an instrument out to perform enchantes.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 10:44 AM CDT
Instrument playing will not teach Bardic Lore.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 10:52 AM CDT
>> I did have one question brought up by the discussion of training of performance via our enchantes... will all of the enchantes be freed from instrument requirements? I seem to recall that being the case, but I can't find anything to back that up now.

> RECALL LAST GM POST
Based on my recollection of what was last posted by a GM(Armifer and/or Raesh), all of our spells/enchantes will not require an instrument in 3.0, with the caveat that none of them will teach any skills outside of the magic skillset.

As far as if this will change in the future based on the discussions between Socharis/Raesh/Armifer/Whoever, I have no idea :P

~Leilond
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 11:33 AM CDT
<< Your magic reqs went up, particularly because of the deep integration of bard spells into M3.>>

i have to say, even though they did go up, they are still weaksauce compared to other magic secondary, namely necros.

Calculating on the basic of reqs:

necromancers require for 150th:

M1 710
m2 700
m3 570
m4 570
m5 490
TM 550

whereas bards only require:

m1 640
m2 550
m3 470
m4 420
m5 340

That is a fairly large discrepency.

"we're doing it for the good of mankind," said the philosophers of murder, waiting for the rest of the world to congratulate them"-Elie Wiesel <the gates of the forest>
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 12:01 PM CDT
>>i have to say, even though they did go up, they are still weaksauce compared to other magic secondary, namely necros.

I wouldn't really compare necromancers to anyone. They have the highest total skill point reqs, and part of me wonders if that is a nudge at the "hardmode" thing.

The average number of skills needed for 150th is 8,562. Necromancers have 9,890 total. Bards have 8,110.
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 12:54 PM CDT
I was doing some number crunching with the new requirements and had a question about one of the changes that was summarized as:
>* Your lore reqs have been increased across the board. Note that this basically comprises of Appraisal, Scholarship, Tactics, and crafting skills.

Our previous/current lore reqs were:
Circle1st Lore2nd Lore3rd Lore4th Lore5th Lore6th Lore
1-10443333
11-30443333
31-70444433
71-100555544
101-150666655

Compared to new lore reqs which are:
Circle1st Lore2nd Lore3rd LorePerformingTactics
1-1033242
11-3033243
31-7043353
71-10044354
101-15055465

(I threw performing onto the table for comparison's sake, since it's not only our highest requirement, but also likely to take out the lores for any Bards who have an instrument/vocals as one of their top lores in the current system. Tactics is there since it's new and is higher than 3rd lore anyway.)

I saw the comment "Your lore reqs have been increased across the board." and thought to myself, "Well, my two top lores are going away: vocals and musical theory. I'll probably end up getting my 3rd through 5th lores (appraisal, scholarship, mech) grandfathered up a bit to meet the new higher reqs." But when I analyzed things that wasn't the case. Our new Nth lore reqs are actually significantly lower than they were previously. I was wondering why you're casting this in the light of having increased lore requirements in the 3.0 scheme of things. Is it in light of the fact that there are fewer lore skills overall?

-Broichan Leshyahen

> hum tuneless
You hum a tuneless tune.
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 01:05 PM CDT
question: does the vocals # = performing for bards if its your highest music? or into the lore pool like it does with everyone else?

"we're doing it for the good of mankind," said the philosophers of murder, waiting for the rest of the world to congratulate them"-Elie Wiesel <the gates of the forest>
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 01:06 PM CDT
>>Our new Nth lore reqs are actually significantly lower than they were previously. I was wondering why you're casting this in the light of having increased lore requirements in the 3.0 scheme of things. Is it in light of the fact that there are fewer lore skills overall?

The Nth lores are a little bit lower but you have the hard performing req which isn't especially nice. Consider that you'll also have Bardic Lore as well once that kicks in.

--

Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 01:07 PM CDT
>>question: does the vocals # = performing for bards if its your highest music? or into the lore pool like it does with everyone else?

Bards do not get special treatment for the skill combinations, nope.

--

Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 01:17 PM CDT
>Bards do not get special treatment for the skill combinations, nope.

I thought that Bards were the only ones who could use vocals for performing? When did that change?

* I suppose it is hearsay - since I think it was Apu that I remember talking about? But he's usually pretty well informed.
** This could also be fanciful memory due to not sleeping.
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 01:19 PM CDT
>I thought that Bards were the only ones who could use vocals for performing? When did that change?

-Broichan Leshyahen

> hum tuneless
You hum a tuneless tune.
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 01:22 PM CDT
>>I thought that Bards were the only ones who could use vocals for performing? When did that change?

To be honest it might be something we talked about earlier, but we've decided against it at this point. It all kind of becomes moot when you consider the grandfathering of the Performing skill anyway, though.

--

Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 01:28 PM CDT
>>i have to say, even though they did go up, they are still weaksauce compared to other magic secondary, namely necros.
I think you forget that there is a third magic secondary guild, Empaths.

MagicBardEmpathNecro
M1620620720
M2550570700
M3470520570
M4420450570
M5320410490
Total811078809890

I will agree that Bards have it a bit easier than Empaths in regards to magic reqs, but I also agree with the comment that Necros are an 'advanced' guild and I believe their reqs reflect that.
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 01:47 PM CDT
Anyone mind breaking down the lore requirements for me? Given the hard/soft reqs, will bards be required to craft? I'm not really interested in crafting honestly, so if it's going to be required I may shelve the bardling. But seeing as they are a lore primary guild it would make sense to me.

I'm just still a bit in the dark about what's what.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 01:54 PM CDT
If you don't want to craft, you can get by with appraisal, tactics, and scholarship. Those would, as far as I can tell, take care of your Nth lore requirements (since tactics is a soft requirement). You'd then also need to train performance, which will train as primary, but not count towards your Nth lores, as it's a hard req. Once Bardic Lore is finalized, you'll need that, too. Since that's our unique guild skill, it'll train as primary, but also not count towards Nth.

-Broichan Leshyahen

> hum tuneless
You hum a tuneless tune.
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 03:46 PM CDT
>> Vocals: 1469 67% examining (13/34)

:(

Bye vocals...

~Leilond
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 03:59 PM CDT
>>Bye vocals...

Look on the bright side. That will red bull that fuels your grandfathered way to a new 1st lore.
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 04:03 PM CDT
>>That will red bull that fuels your grandfathered way to a new 1st lore.

Yeah, I'm not gonna cry about it. Hopefully I can go to town on the new Tactics skill...

I really want to finish this spreadsheet though so I can see what damage that 3rd lore is going to do, it's making me nervous lol

~Leilond
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 04:18 PM CDT
Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but Tactics has a higher req than our 3rd Lore req, and since Tactics is a soft req, it will be higher than the 3rd Lore req for everyone. So why even bother having a 3rd Lore req?
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 04:21 PM CDT
>>So why even bother having a 3rd Lore req?

... to have a 3rd Lore req? :x

Something other than Tactics -- like Scholarship, Appraisal or a crafting skill :P

~Leilond
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 04:23 PM CDT

Because you might want to train it hard enough to make it your 2nd or 1st lore req, in which case you'll need a 3rd lore req, heh.
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 04:30 PM CDT

Flexibility - Tactics can fill your 1st Lore req if you use it a lot, or your 3rd if you keep it at a minimum.

--

Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 05:18 PM CDT
I wish I had the notes from the Bard Guild skill survey I asked about a few months ago, but that's on another computer. IIRC, it wasn't unusual for people to have five of their top six lore skills as the various music and instrument skills. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I think at least four of the six was pretty standard. I'll check when I switch computers, so I apologize if this was wrong.

I am trying to figure out if I just am unlucky in how the lore skills work out, or if this is a common situation.

Musical Theory will become Bardic Lore and have its own requirement, at some point, so I put that aside.

Our instrument skills will collapse into Performance, which will have its own hard requirement outside of the other lore skills.

At least for me, my top five lore skills are being taken away from meeting the new Lore skill requirements. The thought is that we're going from training six out of the nine lore skills to only five out of the ten (when you see Bardic Lore and Performance as replacements of older skill requirements), after the reshuffling of skills.

So we'd need three skills taken from a list of Appraisal, Scholar, Tactics, and the 5 Mech Lores.

I'm excited about Tactics and suspect that won't be much of a problem, especially with it being grandfathered in somehow. I'm not concerned about it, it fits very thematically with our Guild, so that covers one of the three Lore Skills.

But of the two other new lore skill requirements, I only have one lore skill (Appraisal for me) meeting my current requirements. It will be fine, even under the new requirements it's ahead of my circle, but I'll have to see my 7th lore skill (Scholarship) grandfathered up to my circle. And so I am going from a situation in which my lore skills were significantly ahead of my circle (20 to 25 circles) to a situation in which one is slightly ahead (10 circles) and the other two are grandfathered at circle.

I don't fully understand how much of a boon the bonus pool full of my old instrument ranks will be in helping me adjust to the new training schedule. For me it's shifting from . . .

1- Be a bard.
2- Play music.
3- Play some more music.
4- Keep playing.
5- MUSIC!
6- Do something else. (Appraisal for me)

to

1- Be a bard.
2- Play music.
3- Do something else. (Appraisal, Scholarship, or a Craft)
4- Do something else. (Appraisal, Scholarship, or a Craft)
5- Fight smart!

It's great that we're shifting away from just being about music, but I'm worried that other than crafting the other two lore skills (Appraisal and Scholarship) aren't really robust/useful enough to keep training without it descending into being a total chore. I've read about Appraisal and Scholarship both becoming more important for crafting, but that sort of worries me that if I'm not into craft (and I'm on the fence right now) there's not a good way to train the rest of my new lore skill requirements.

~~
Lupdels
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 05:32 PM CDT
>>I'm worried that other than crafting the other two lore skills (Appraisal and Scholarship) aren't really robust/useful enough to keep training without it descending into being a total chore

I totally agree. That's the state they're in now, but the goal is to fix all of the skills so that they don't suck the way those two do. That's something that we'll do individually for skills after this whole overhaul is done.

--

Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 05:36 PM CDT
I'm surprised no one has really asked this (or if they did, your post was one I missed in my skimming of the folder), but..

>>Instrument playing will not teach Bardic Lore.

What will?

I feel like this has been talked about in the past, but I don't have the energy to fly through the folders looking for it. Is it going to be other bardic abilities like enchantes, bluffs, evokes, TBD?

Terra
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 05:37 PM CDT
Also, I think the changes are great. Thank you for all of the hard work you put into figuring them out, not only for us, but all the guilds. That has got to be time consuming.

Terra
Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 05:50 PM CDT
>>Is it going to be other bardic abilities like enchantes, bluffs, evokes, TBD?

Basically, yep. The reason the Bardic Lore req may not happen at launch time is because we haven't gotten enough activities that train the skill.

--

Re: Bard Circle Requirements 03/16/2012 07:17 PM CDT

>>>...asking my fellow Bards how their training of weapons compares to other skills.

>>>Weapons is the only thing I need for about 10 circles.

Weapons has been the only skill the guildleader ever asks for and it's been that way from around circle 30 to Meigs' current circle 100. He was finally ready to circle to 105, now he needs to gain 20 ranks before X3.0 just to not need grandfathering. Times 4 primary weapons. <sigh> Oh well, he thinks the guildleaders are crazy and from the looks they give him as they chant "more weapons" yet again, the feeling is mutual.
Prev_page Previous 1 3