Prev_page Previous 1
Bards 12/18/2009 02:06 PM CST
So I've been accused by pretty much everyone about whining at this point even though every time I'm trying to seek out and point out lil stuff that goes on that could be changed for the better and people freak out and are like you whiner. I figured it's time for me to honestly whine a little bit.

Screams are freaking ridiculous. I scream like 5 times and I've pretty much tanked my mojo. I can't use recalls and stuff whistle piercing. But yet nothing really tells me, Hey Jerodan You just tanked your mojo by screaming! No instead I can keep screaming like crazy as much and as long as I want. So either A) Screams need to stop when all other bardic abilities do connected to Mojo or B) They don't need to go off Mojo period

Now for my magic complaint. Tell me why on earth we are elemental? The only stuff that really deals with elements at all that we have is CARE, DEMA, MERE, and PYRE and in planning that Breath of Storms. So why do we run off elemental magic when our magics much better lines up with either holy or life. Heck, I could see giving us "Sorcerous" mana type where we jump lines as often as we'd like for whichever mana type song we're singing since honestly the rest aren't elemental.

Why do we really train instruments/vocals and stuff? I've not seen any sign that they really increase enchantes much if any. I mean we split them years ago but for what honest to goodness reason? What benefit is there in strumming on a lyre or a fiddle? Why don't we have any other use for them. As Bard's we should seriously get something, maybe even work the screams so that we can jangle out something on an instrument similarly. Or maybe make our enchantes based off our ability to play an instrument instead of magic at all?

Why can't we get enchantes even though the system is broken would still be nice to see a new enchante come about. How come the Bard's Guild get's no love? Remains sooo trivially developed mechanics wise versus all the rest. I mean, did we REALLY need a Necromancer Guild when we already have Guilds like the Traders/Barbarians/Bards that are soo underdeveloped with all these promises to come that never come?

I joined the Bard's Guild with the intent of making a Sorcerer. That's right go ahead and take that IC even though he's not hinted that to anyone. And now they're like scholarship that is useless is now even more useless. Sorry Bard's who have NO ability linked to MD but yet are supposed to be all scholary and know it alls, we're going to come out with Arcana that's knowledge about magic! Oh and while we're at it, since that's magical knowledge we're moving spell scrolls over for it too so sorry those of you who have Scholarship as like your tert lore just for the sake of learning scrolls and being a spell researcher someday. So those of you that neglected it, back train for as long as you've played your character almost to get it even back up with the skills you've steadily and constantly trained.

Also, what's the deal with allowing the gap in defense and weapons to grow? It's like this in any guild pretty much. But why not adjust the reqs so that we should require like more parry versus weapon right out the gate instead of waiting until later in to decide from now on, now that you have a 40 rank gap now cuz you only used shield and didn't look ahead at the circle reqs, you need to increase your parry at the same rate as your weapon.

And when being explained that my mojo was tanked why I couldn't recall (I was a noobie Bard, my first time that happened so I assisted) he totally made mojo sound like it was based like pretty much 100% off our confidence based on how the general public thought of us. But yet when we accuse necros we can't gain mojo, that doesn't make sense and shouldn't apply.

I guess this is all bad planning and lack of balancing out my character when training him all along. But you all wanted to accuse me of whining, here it is. Mayhaps I should have researched Bard's a lot more than I did in the first place before training my character so much and becoming a fan of him because the more I look around the more I see broke stuff that should take such higher priority than it does and I'm seeing why Bard's Suck now.

On a happy note: I do love roleplaying my Bard. I love going through the history lessons with Terra. I enjoying what little research I do. I really enjoy telling other people about the lore that I do know and sharing that and stuff. I also think the Bard's Guild mirrors my train/play style a lot considering I hate survivals but enjoy combat with a good amount of guild sitting.

More complaints: I wish all these people who hate on Bard's would also know a lil lore and when you tell them the lore about how awesome Bard's are they give responses like Pothon the other night, "Stop living in the past." And when I heard that I nearly fell out of my chair because it was true. The only awesomeness found within the Bard's Guild powerful wise is Ysselt's scream (that's a joke worked in here) and Roleplay potential.

/wrist in a fit of rage.

Okay, I'm done whining/ranting/complaining/acting like a female dog now.

>bluff silv
You realize you have no idea how to bluff an unintelligent beast like the Leader Silvyrfrost.
Re: Bards 12/18/2009 02:11 PM CST
lmao
Re: Bards 12/18/2009 02:14 PM CST
<<I joined the Bard's Guild with the intent of making a Sorcerer. >>

Some people joined dragonrealms thinking they'd fight dragons too =/
Re: Bards 12/18/2009 02:18 PM CST
Wow.

Only comment I have is:

<<So I've been accused by pretty much everyone about whining at this point even though every time I'm trying to seek out and point out lil stuff that goes on that could be changed for the better and people freak out and are like you whiner.

Constructive criticism: Change your posting style if you don't want to sound like you're whining, because that's how it comes across. You come across as making the 'lil stuff' sound like its the end of the game as you know it. And I'm not talking about just this rant, although it does apply to it as well.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386A.V.
Re: Bards 12/18/2009 02:19 PM CST
>> lmao

His post was pretty legit. My bard was/is my favorite character ever. But I don't play him.

Gonif,

Are you suggesting that a spell be written specifically to allow necromancers to move into an area protected by holy magic for the purpose of constructing a vulture heart candy trail for Khurek to follow?

-Totenus
Re: Bards 12/18/2009 02:22 PM CST
I'm still looking for the dragons :/
Re: Bards 12/18/2009 02:24 PM CST
This rant is just me being pissed right now and some true honest to goodness changes I'd like to see. I don't think they'd be the end of the game at all. But it's the difference in waking up every day and logging into DR and visiting the inn and typing out exp all then looking at all the time invested and saying the reroll ain't worth it. Because heck, I could join a much more mechanically playable guild and have just as much RP. Even when it comes to lore and stuff.

Half the time when it does turn whining, it's because I start out looking for explanations and people have be all Lore Fu Nerdy Jerks and start a mildly cover-up jerk session by bashing it the ground and kicking it while it's down.

>bluff silv
You realize you have no idea how to bluff an unintelligent beast like the Leader Silvyrfrost.
Re: Bards 12/18/2009 02:30 PM CST
I'm going to try to address things point by point (without quoting yours because then it'd be horribly long)

Are you using screams to hunt? Constantly? A lot? It sounds like it. If you are, stop it. They're a niche. Use them to kill Dametri and Netherlich only.

The reason we're elemental was explained years and years and years ago. Something about feeling the pulse and rhythm of the earth or some such. If the new magic team has a better story, then I don't know about it. What mana type would you suggest other than Elemental anyway?

I don't know about you, but I'd rather see Z tackle Enchantes 3.0 to fix all these underlying issues rather than put out an enchante that he will probably have to tweak and/or rewrite once the system is rewritten.

I understand your frustration with the Necromancer guild coming out; but just like we've been lacking solid lore development, people who've been playing commoners deserve fair treatment too. You can't promise a guild for 8 years and just keep putting it off. I'm glad its out. Be glad it is, too. Be glad we have people like Z in our corner.

I joined the Bard's Guild with the intent of making a Sorcerer.

You want Moon Mages, down the hall to the right.

I'm sorry you and a handful of people feel shafted with the spell change. Dart said he was looking into options so until there's a brick wall reached, I don't see the point in delving into this further.

However, training cambrinth as a bard is much MUCH easier now. Easier than it ever was. Before, it would drain completely out on the first pulse of a song. Now we can set how much we want to drain per pulse. Frankly, it's wonderful. Couple that with the fact that our cambrinth doesn't snap and you have the ability to train multiple pieces with no issue. (I personally train with 9 worn pieces).

Also, what's the deal with allowing the gap in defense and weapons to grow? It's like this in any guild pretty much. But why not adjust the reqs so that we should require like more parry versus weapon right out the gate instead of waiting until later in to decide from now on, now that you have a 40 rank gap now cuz you only used shield and didn't look ahead at the circle reqs, you need to increase your parry at the same rate as your weapon.

Simple solution here is to not let this happen. Requirements are a guideline if you want to circle. You don't have to meet the minimum. Exceed them.

I can't stress the last part enough. I have my own fair share of frustrations with the guild, especially as a non-performance bard I find I'm in the minority. Even as a combat character, I'm still not "quite that good" compared to other guilds of the same circle.

I don't really know what else to tell you. I like the guild, and I think it has a lot of potential, which is why I keep coming back to it reroll and after reroll after reroll.

Sticking with it isn't something that I can make you do though. There are ways to be pretty darn good though, they just require a lot of effort on your part.

__
Join us in sharing information!
http://community.livejournal.com/drbookoftales/
View my RPnerderiffic IC journal here!
http://ysselt-dr.livejournal.com/

It will cost you 248 TDPs to raise your Charisma from 99 to 100
Re: Bards 12/18/2009 02:34 PM CST
>Wow.
Re: Bards 12/18/2009 02:40 PM CST
I wanna give you a hug right now Ysselt. You took my complete and total nerd rage and turned it into something constructive and I really appreciate it.

The sorcerer thing wasn't just that btw. It was more I liked the idea of Bard's magic type and flow and Jerodan's goal (still one of them) is to attempt to manipulate the magic to his own desire aka make his own enchante. The sorcery thing was going to a byproduct of his journey which conveniently would be made easy by learning any scroll I wanna. Plus it's easier to play with different magics if you can learn any scroll in the process.

<<Something about feeling the pulse and rhythm of the earth or some such>>
This makes a lot of sense.
That to me still would match LIFE better. That's what I think we should feed off. I mean Lilt heals after all, we have these calming spells like Balm and Lullaby and then there's abandoned heart seeps the will to live out of someone. Rangerly spells are nature related too which all of our elemental stuff really could be considered as much nature as element.

Yes I'd rather see Enchantes 3.0 come out. But I was whining.

>bluff silv
Re: Bards 12/18/2009 02:49 PM CST
> Simple solution here is to not let this happen. Requirements are a guideline if you want to circle. You don't have to meet the minimum. Exceed them.

I can't emphasize this enough. Guild requirements are just a bare minimum to advance. It's up to YOU to decide which skills you want to learn and how well you want to learn them. If x ranks isn't enough for you, then don't stop there.

Let's be frank here -- not everyone who joins the Bard Guild wants to be a battle bard. I would be doing the guild as a whole a disservice if I raised all requirements to force you to have a balanced combat character. If you want to be a battle bard, you are going to need to to exceed the minimum guild expectations. That's just the way it is. We aren't going to force all bards to be battle bards any more than we are going to force all bards to be performance bards.

- GM Dartenian

If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right. - Henry Ford
Re: Bards 12/18/2009 02:51 PM CST
> Are you using screams to hunt? Constantly? A lot? It sounds like it. If you are, stop it.

Can't emphasize this enough either. Screams are NOT intended to be a mainstay in combat. They are designed to be something to help out when things are going badly.

- GM Dartenian

If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right. - Henry Ford
Re: Bards 12/18/2009 02:52 PM CST
A bard character isn't someone you can just dump things on, it isn't a Mitsubishi.

Nice post Ysselt.
Re: Bards 12/18/2009 02:57 PM CST
I'm not desiring the circle reqs to go up or anything like that. My complaint was if we're gonna be required to have 3 parry later on along with 3 prime weapon, why not the whole time?

Still though on the scream though. Why can't we use other mojo related abilities if we can use screams until the cows come home? (I know this because I've done it)

Plus, not trying to be a jerk: This was just my time to rant and it all out in the open because I am/was/are pissed at the world right now and so everything I don't like about my Guild is out there now. BOOM. I don't expect changes to come from this, I didn't even expect a GM response to it honestly.

>bluff silv
Re: Bards 12/18/2009 03:00 PM CST
Your homework is to list out all abilities we have that use mojo. Specify if they simple require the mojo pool to be fullish, or if they also drain mojo.

__

Re: Bards 12/18/2009 03:00 PM CST
>Why can't we use other mojo related abilities if we can use screams until the cows come home?

The logical solution would be to prevent screaming if mojo was too low... Are you advocating a nerf?
Re: Bards 12/18/2009 03:05 PM CST
Jerodan, I kind of wish you'd have talked to me before you made this post so maybe I could have given you some of the answers Ysselt did.

She pretty much hit the nail on the head for most things. I can't think of much else to add.

Join a guild for the Roleplay, not the mechanics. You'll be happier that way.

- Terra
Re: Bards 12/18/2009 03:05 PM CST
Are you advocating a nerf?

Sadly, yes I am. Because once my mojo gets too low I can't use piercing whistle anymore and that gets me killed in combat. I like using scream concussive to help knock thugs off their feet a lil since they're significantly an overhunt for me and then I mess around and can't use piercing whistle when they get to be too many.

Abilities that use mojo:
Recall
Piercing Whistle
Playact
Bluff

Can't use:
Recall/Piercing Whistle without your mojo being pretty full
I haven't tested playact much at all.
Bluff I'm pretty sure is based a lil off mojo because when I could first fool people with bluff dead my mojo was high, I could pull off fooling people but when it was low I couldn't. Now it doesn't make much different though.

What drains it:
Besides getting busted for stuff - I dunno, I don't use anything besides screams enough to find out.

>bluff silv
Re: Bards 12/18/2009 03:07 PM CST
I'm trying not to laugh at you but failing miserably.

Screams are one of the most unbalanced abilities in the game. I know this is a dead horse, not trying to start an argument, just saying...when multiple bards that can't survive where I hunt can kill me with a couple screams, something's wrong. I don't begrudge Bards for them (ok maybe a little), but I know Bards have a hard row to hoe, so I guess it balances out.

You joined a lore prime guild focused on musicianship (is that even a word?) and complain about playing instruments. But still, Enchantes are affected by music theory, which you learn by playing instruments.

New Enchantes would be cool. No lie. So would being able to do more than one at a time...but you already have several enchantes that are multiple buffs at once.

About your Sorcerous leanings...sorry, you picked the wrong guild. You can dabble as much as the next mana user with scrolls, but I don't know how a sorcerous song would even happen. If you can talk a GM into it, more power to you. I'm not sure why you're even complaining about scrolls teaching Arcana, they still take scholarship to read.

The gap in your weapon/defense is your problem, you have only yourself and your poor training to blame. Like Ysselt pointed out, minimum requirements. I have a 10 rank gap between my primary weapon and primary defense. Multi opponent is 10 higher than my weapon, Shield is 10 lower. I have the same armor/survival tert, weapon secondary skillset as you.

Yes, Bard history is cool. I'm sad most of the current bard guild leaders are nothing more than boozers. If you want to get drunk lamenting the past, feel free to join them. I'm sure Aveda and Leilond don't mind breaking the mold alone.

And before you accuse me of not knowing what I'm talking about...I played a Bard. Terra was my mentor too. Difference is, when I realized the shortcomings of the Bard guild were not for me, I quietly took my ball and went home...I didn't throw a screaming crying fit on the field for everyone to see. DR is a game, play what makes you happy. You have to decide if you want the joy of RPing a Bard, or the skillset awesomeness that is a guild like Rangers.
Re: Bards 12/18/2009 03:08 PM CST
OK.

Like I said before, you shouldn't be pounding the scream macro constantly in combat.

I think you'll find if you stop doing this, you'll see an increase in your overall "held" mojo pool. I very rarely (if ever) see mine decrease more than 2 levels.

Out of these abilities:
Recall
Piercing Whistle
Playact
Bluff

Which do you use in combat? Do you use them more than 10 times in a 2 hour hunting session?

Which do you use when not in combat?

I will however, advocate again for removing the Practice Assess 10 minute timer, because none of the other guilds that have something they need to "check" have a timer like this.

__

Re: Bards 12/18/2009 03:12 PM CST
My hunts last about 30 minutes. So whistle piercing is what I use at the end because it's time to go get healed and leave. usually though a thug has started besting so I scream to knock him off a lil. That usually happens 5 or better times. And yes, I will take that advice and stop using screams pretty much.

>bluff silv
Re: Bards 12/18/2009 03:18 PM CST
<<So whistle piercing is what I use at the end because it's time to go get healed and leave.

I never use whistle piercing for that because my hunts are usually about 2 to 3 hours long and even without using screams, its usually not an option at that point since the whistle drains a small amount of mojo itself. Plus it only provides a few seconds of relief. In order of clean up after combat usefulness I use BALM, SANCTUARY, and DMRS depending on my mood, critter resists and the amount of loot I need to clean up.

<<usually though a thug has started besting so I scream to knock him off a lil. That usually happens 5 or better times.

This is what piercing whistle is great for, especially because it can be done in RT. It gives you an extra 10 or so seconds to kill that one extra monster, or get off a DMRS/BALM, or retreat, or whatever it is you need to do to stop being pummeled. Try switching out your scream use for whistle use instead. It should greatly extend your mojo pool.

-Evran

Re: Bards 12/18/2009 03:26 PM CST
Huge thank you to everyone. I'm done acting like a 8 year old pissed off because someone accidentally bumped into him and made him drop his ice cream cone. Though I will admit, my stress level has decreased and I've gotten some useful insight!

>bluff silv
Re: Bards 12/18/2009 03:27 PM CST
I know that I told you Piercing Whistle is where the money's at and screams should only be used in emergencies or when you need to do damage to something that outclasses you.

- Terra
Re: Bards 12/18/2009 03:29 PM CST
I know, I know. But according to one of my former teachers

"A wise man learns from the experiences of others, a fool as to experience it himself"

I'm a fool.

>bluff silv
Re: Bards 12/18/2009 03:30 PM CST
I rarely use screams hunting. If I need to retreat and can't I first try to resolve, if that doesn't come out as planned, I try Aether Wolves and lastly, bluff dead and if I'm getting really beat up, I bluff dead right away and stay "dead" till whatever I'm hunting starts to retreat. That does use mojo but only one hit. I save screams for when I'm just down right pissed off at the world and want to annoy someone.

As far as all the complaints, well, I've read them so many times from many people over the years and I've voiced them myself. Ironically, I've started hitting a stage where I'm just tired of reading the same cycle of posts every X years. So, my new whine is that one.

I don't consider myself a performing bard nor a combat bard but a little of both. I used to keep up with events and enjoyed a little history keeping bard roleplay as well. What I found it boiled down to for me was simply I loved being a bard and the no hassle hunting style.

I'll end my rambling by restating, if you need to use screams a lot while hunting, stop. Reevaluate your hunting grounds or style. That's my 2 coppers worth.

~Eoworfinia~
Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen. Homer Simpson

Get the facts first and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain
Re: Bards 12/18/2009 03:35 PM CST
Terra is awesome. Sadly, lore prime is not.
Re: Bards 12/18/2009 03:38 PM CST
> I know this is a dead horse, not trying to start an argument, just saying...when multiple bards that can't survive where I hunt can kill me with a couple screams, something's wrong.

Yes, something is wrong. But not with screams. The problem lies in the combat system itself, and applies to far more than just screams -- it applies to ranged attacks in general.

- GM Dartenian

Re: Bards 12/18/2009 08:17 PM CST
A couple of thoughts I figured I'd post.

Firstly, I see no reason why Bards should be considered somehow less suited to sorcery than another guild like the Moon Mages. We are, after all, the only ones who can cast other guilds spells that have prereqs. It's a perfectly valid RP if not overly backed by mechanics. Personally, I've always felt Elemental to be an awkward fit as well, and I'm inclined to agree that the unique nature of many of our enchantes are so spread out that multiple mana types would be the best fit. For playability, though, elemental is as good as any in my opinion.

Weapons/defense gaps are an incredible pain, I agree. When I got about 70-80 ranks ahead in my weapons and essentially had to go to two hunting grounds to train, I decided I was doing it wrong. Take the time to train up some more weapons. Currently, in my regular combat routine, I train Longbow, ME, HE, 2HE, LT, HT, TM and Brawling. As a result, my defenses have now passed my weapons by, which I find to be a much better situation overall. The backtraining can be a chore, but it's worth it.

The best way to avoid death in combat as a bard is whistle piercing. If I get stunned, I'll instantly do scream defiance to try to get out of it. As soon as I'm unstunned, I whistle piercing. Immediately after that, flee. As long as your legs aren't too hurt to flee and your neck isn't too hurt to whistle, you will escape every single time. If that isn't enough, don't forget the utility of an inviso ring.

I don't really think it's fair to rag on Jerodan for complaining about having to train instruments. There's no notification upon joining the guild that instrument ranks are useless. I'm in complete agreement that they need to be given a purpose aside from circling, because every time I look at my instrument ranks I cringe because those could be hundreds of ranks in a skill that does anything. Fortunately, Jerodan, we've been told that after the Necros are released, Lore is going to get a good looking at. The GMs know it sucks, but there were other priorities at the time. Everyone I met at the Con who was discussing Lore got me very hopeful, they're all very competent and exciting GMs.

Essentially, Jerodan, I think you've hit a certain stage in Bardhood with your post. Eventually, bards in DR tend to split into two camps. Half of us occasionally need to blow of steam like you just did (Some of the IM conversations Ysselt and I have had put your rant to shame), while others take solace in the RP and lore of the guild and don't sweat the mechanics so much.

My advice is to try to think of what you would do to change the guild for the better. How would you make instrument ranks matter? It's a tough question: Most people kind of stare off in the distance and change the subject when asked, myself included. Throw out enchante ideas. Think up as many ways as you can to improve the guild and throw it at the boards to see what sticks. Even if nothing you suggest ever comes to pass, you never know what GM might see it and say "Hmm...now THAT gives me an idea!"

Lastly, if you ever need to vent about bards, feel free to IM me at ZanderTirade. I find my ranting with Ysselt cools my nerdrage and I'd be happy to do the same for you.

-=Issus=-
Re: Bards 12/18/2009 11:50 PM CST
>>I'm in complete agreement that they need to be given a purpose aside from circling, because every time I look at my instrument ranks I cringe because those could be hundreds of ranks in a skill that does anything.

Instrument/Vocals ranks definitely help you play your enchantes more effectively. For example, I can easily sing Lilt in a glowing room at 27 mana, but I need to drop a few mana when I play it on my lute because my strings aren't up to my vocals.

Granted, I could always just sing rather than play. But there are a few instances where the instrument is the better option (usually when it's the only option, as with Drums, Nexus, Naga, and I think Lullabye).

Other than that, I get by on the cool RP of it (one day I'm hoping to rock the zither). Also, it's super easy to train magics right along with instruments for us, so I don't have much to complain about.

-- Player of Niieth
Re: Bards 12/19/2009 12:21 AM CST
>>Instrument/Vocals ranks definitely help you play your enchantes more effectively. For example, I can easily sing Lilt in a glowing room at 27 mana, but I need to drop a few mana when I play it on my lute because my strings aren't up to my vocals.

If you can just sing it, why would you ever bother playing it on an instrument? The fact that it can be sung negates any usefulness for the ranks in other instruments. As for the enchantes that are instrument only, that means that your enchante is limited by your instrument ranks, PM ranks, Harness ranks, the weather, mojo, and how many hands you're willing to give up to play it. I don't see instrument ranks as being anything but restrictive in this situation.

-=Issus=-
Re: Bards 12/19/2009 01:38 AM CST
> If you can just sing it, why would you ever bother playing it on an instrument?

You mean aside from the fact that in most cases (somewhat dependent on the instrument itself) playing an enchante on an instrument is more effective than using vocals? (Or in other words, using an instrument gives a slight bonus to enchante effectiveness. Granted, not usually enough to compensate for how big a gulf most bards have between instruments and vocals, but if skill ranks were equal, you'd get better results with an instrument. Just sayin'.)

- GM Dartenian

Re: Bards 12/19/2009 01:56 AM CST
>>>You mean aside from the fact that in most cases (somewhat dependent on the instrument itself) playing an enchante on an instrument is more effective than using vocals? (Or in other words, using an instrument gives a slight bonus to enchante effectiveness. Granted, not usually enough to compensate for how big a gulf most bards have between instruments and vocals, but if skill ranks were equal, you'd get better results with an instrument. Just sayin'.)

So we do more damage with our weapons while playing harmony, or rage on an instrument? Oh wait, we can't wield a weapon while playing an instrument. Just sayin'.

Yeah, yeah I know that's not exactly right but instruments are overly restrictive. I don't think I've ever used an instrument for any enchante that can be sung. Also, I rarely use the ones that require instruments because of their restrictive nature. Even if the enchante is slightly more powerful, which you just stated is more than likely not the case anyway.

"I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child, well nursed, is, at a year old, a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food.."
Re: Bards 12/19/2009 02:32 AM CST
Not like I can lore-fu this subject, but have some rampant speculation!

Bard's relationship to sound seems equivalent to a Warrior Mage's relationship to the base elements. Elemental mages have a psychic dominance over the physical world; it's not just summoning up flashy pyrotechnics, there's an element of shaping those summoned pyrotechnics with your mind.

Holy and life mages have similar relationships to the spirit and the living world, lunar have that relationship with the laws of reality.

Historically, warrior mages have had difficulty mastering concurrent manipulations of multiple elements. Bardic magic seems to get around this problem by working from within the system in a more holistic manner, drawing on a 'harmonious' rather than a chaotic and contradictory understanding of elemental mana. Sound has additional resonances, it seems, on the spiritual level and life responds to it... but those would still be grounded in the psychic manipulation of the sound and the mediums it travels through.

Or, you know, something else.

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: Bards 12/19/2009 02:46 AM CST
> So we do more damage with our weapons while playing harmony, or rage on an instrument? Oh wait, we can't wield a weapon while playing an instrument. Just sayin'.

I wasn't aware all enchantes were combat enchantes. And given that both songs above are vocal only, they really aren't good examples. But it is actually possible to play instrumental enchantes in combat, even while fighting if you use one-handed weapons and one-handed instruments (say, maracas or bones with Drums of the Snake). Just sayin'. :-P

- GM Dartenian

Re: Bards 12/19/2009 02:48 AM CST
<<But it is actually possible to play instrumental enchantes in combat, even while fighting if you use one-handed weapons and one-handed instruments (say, maracas or bones with Drums of the Snake). Just sayin'. :-P

Requisite request for a one-handed stringed instrument. Thank you in advance.

-Evran

Re: Bards 12/19/2009 03:01 AM CST
Rubber bands! Go!

SEND[Abasha] It warms my heart to see three people die for a cupcake.
Re: Bards 12/19/2009 04:36 AM CST
>Requisite request for a one-handed stringed instrument. Thank you in advance.

>-Evran

Knew this was coming...thank you.

~Faih
Re: Bards 12/19/2009 06:45 AM CST
>>Requisite request for a one-handed stringed instrument. Thank you in advance.

Shavay just arrived, struggling to push a piano before him.
Shavay wields a sabre, putting it in his right hand.
Shavay begins plinking out Damaris' Lullaby on the piano.
Shavay exclaims, "Alright you monsters! Come and get me!!"

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

Faerie tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know dragons exist. Faerie tales tell children that dragons can be killed.
- G.K. Chesterton
Re: Bards 12/19/2009 08:07 AM CST
I retract my entire post. All of that. I went and just re-read the basic description of Bard's. I been talking to Terra some. And I also put my PISSED AT THE WORLD RAWR RAGE aside and actually analyzed it all. We're perfect how we are. A few kinks yes, but honestly. I think enchantes work just fine. Our screams. All of it. We're jacks of all trades, and master's of nothing but lore. I think if we honestly analyze our skills and abilities, it points directly to that.

I humbly apologize for the GMs at this moment for my outburst.

Players you all still suck because you play DR and waste your money each month.

>bluff silv
Prev_page Previous 1