Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Bards 12/19/2009 08:36 AM CST

On a lighter note.... I'm still waiting for a "Monkey Room". Heaven only knows this is something you would want to lock yourself inside while trying.

In the "Monkey Room", you can strap on a harmonica headset on to free your hands. Grab a banjo to play with your hands. Sit behind a bass drum and use your foot to keep a steady beat.

This would be an excellent way to train your three instruments in a short amount of time, or look like a buffoon while attempting.

I would have tried playing the water glasses, but knowing the nature of most folks, there would be booze in the glasses and lots of empty glasses.

Cheers!

Re: Bards 12/19/2009 09:09 AM CST
No retracting your post. Better to be frustrated and constructive than self imposed forced happy and complacent, IMO.

Also: While I had no idea playing an enchante on an instrument in some way was more powerful, you're right about the rank gap I'm sure we all have. What's more, instruments are just enough of a pain for me to give up that extra power. It's incredibly difficult to gauge the power of an enchante in the first place, really.

However, I think one simple point can pretty much nullify anyones argument that instrument skills don't need help: Aside from the minuet spirit healing and TDPs, what possible use would a non bard have for instrument ranks?

-=Issus=-
Re: Bards 12/19/2009 09:24 AM CST
I can't even think of a way. I can't even think of a way they could improve it.
Unless possibly playing instruments could cause roundtimes to be reduced on percussions because those around you are fighting to a rhythm them. Wind instruments could cause distractions to the critters, slightly increasing those around you's ability to hide. Stringed instruments could possibly distract the critters in a sense that it would slightly increase their roundtime or time between attacks. All of this being said, I think it could work but it would need to be very small amounts. This would however be useless since there aren't that many folk who really group hunt.

>bluff silv
You realize you have no idea how to bluff an unintelligent beast like the Leader Silvyrfrost.
Re: Bards 12/19/2009 11:03 AM CST
<<Aside from the minuet spirit healing and TDPs, what possible use would a non bard have for instrument ranks?

You can hum and get the minuet spirit healing.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386A.V.
Re: Bards 12/19/2009 11:17 AM CST
>>We're perfect how we are. A few kinks yes, but honestly. I think enchantes work just fine. Our screams. All of it. We're jacks of all trades, and master's of nothing but lore. I think if we honestly analyze our skills and abilities, it points directly to that.

Not sure if I agree with that. You guys could really use some work on the enchante system.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Bards 12/19/2009 11:34 AM CST
>>Not sure if I agree with that. You guys could really use some work on the enchante system.

I'm saying this with sincerity, not sarcasm. Have you heard the latest? Zeyurn said he would like to take a look at fixing enchantes. So, not only are people aware of it upstairs, but they're willing to work on it. So that in and of itself is not only encouraging, but awesome.

I really like how Bards are, and will like it better after the enchante rewrite (again, but practice makes perfect). I'd like to see more incentive to learn instrument skills. More associated perks with certain instrument types.

Minuet + grants spirit health recovery.

What if each instrument type had a seperate niche it helped with? Something small, but something to add incentive to train it.

I'll think on this too, but what would everyone else like to see?
For Strings?
For Winds?
For Percussion?
It would have to be something that could be applied out of combat, because how many people are going to bust out a lyre and a flute during combat? I like the minuet humming because I can sing Lilt or Naga's Blessing AND hum a minuet to restore spirit on top of it, making it ideal for triage situations.

And now that scroll spell learning has moved to Arcana (A move I wholeheartedly approve of) how about some more scholarship perks? I'd love to put some sort of language learning plan into place that involved scholarship, vocals, and TDP's in order to permanently learn another language. Even if there was a limit to it. There's not one reason my character should not understand S'Kra Mur.

Anyway, I still have a lot of love for the Bard's Guild. Beyond the enchante system and screams being expanded upon, I hope to see more done with PERCEIVE HISTORY and a loregasm quest to go along with it. (Lore Secondaries have cool quests, why not us?)

- Terra
Re: Bards 12/19/2009 11:40 AM CST
>>I'd love to put some sort of language learning plan into place that involved scholarship, vocals, and TDP's in order to permanently learn another language. Even if there was a limit to it. There's not one reason my character should not understand S'Kra Mur.

This is something that I've seen suggested plenty of times before. I think it would be pretty freakin' amazing if they implemented a system where you can learn more than one language. Make it scale with high scholarship so that it helps give meaning to it beyond 1000 ranks. At the same time I don't think I've ever seen a GM even reply to this suggestion, so who knows.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Bards 12/19/2009 12:17 PM CST
> what possible use would a non bard have for instrument ranks?

Paladins and clerics have a special use for it. Other than, nothing. At the moment. At least one more use is being wrapped into the new combat system.

- GM Dartenian

If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right. - Henry Ford
Re: Bards 12/19/2009 03:17 PM CST
>>At least one more use is being wrapped into the new combat system.

Wow, interesting! Hints? Teasers?

- Terra
Re: Bards 12/19/2009 03:53 PM CST
>>At least one more use is being wrapped into the new combat system.

Club + target shield = intimidation beat? Actually, that would be pretty cool. Charisma modified, of course.
Re: Bards 12/20/2009 12:31 AM CST
>>id we REALLY need a Necromancer Guild when we already have Guilds like the Traders/Barbarians/Bards that are soo underdeveloped

Very random aside here, but Barbarians are mechanically under-developed? A lot of their things are due for a rewrite, the general consensus being that this is overdue, but mechanically they are one of the most-developed guilds, at least as far as ability count is concerned.

"I hate you so much right now." -GM Armifer
Re: Bards 12/20/2009 06:00 AM CST
In their case it is the lore and history or so I've heard someone saying on the Bard's folder here while back. I think right around when Issus threw his last nerd rage fit :P

>bluff silv
You realize you have no idea how to bluff an unintelligent beast like the Leader Silvyrfrost.
Re: Bards 12/20/2009 12:46 PM CST
<<at least as far as ability count is concerned.>>

Eh, we have lots of abilities, but only a handful of those are actually useful, and some of those are made obsolete by others. In the extreme high end we wind up with most of what we need in one overpowered ability and one overpowered passive bonus, which isn't as bad as the Bard predicament but still isn't what I'd call developed.

High hopes for Kodius though.

Your mind hears Reaperscythe thinking, "1 slot left in my thanatology class, landfall docks, ur gods are false their prophets are liars deal with it *crosses arms* *smokes cloves* * lashes tail* * glares*"
Re: Bards 12/20/2009 07:23 PM CST
<<>>id we REALLY need a Necromancer Guild when we already have Guilds like the Traders/Barbarians/Bards that are soo underdeveloped>>

Thing is, at some point, you do have to go ahead and do your new stuff. As was previously stated, Necros had been promised for yeeeeeeeeeears. It wasn't just something we decided to do suddenly, abandoning all work on anything else to do so.

Look at it from the perspective of, say, provincial expansion. We could argue that we shouldn't have added Farfromhere, but instead, have expanded the existing provinces - adding villages or clans, caves, treetops, forested areas, etc. Heck, you could turn the dial all the way back and say that we shouldn't have added Qi, or Theren, or Ilithi...

But at some point, you do need to move forward. The key is not to forsake continued development of the existing stuff in favor of the new. And we don't do that. It may feel or look like it sometimes, probably in that final push to get-the-thing-out-the-door, but we do keep going with our other stuff.

-V.

"Reject me not, sweet sounds! oh, let me live,
Till doom espy my towers and scatter them.
A city spell-bound under the aging sun,
Music my rampart, and my only one."
-Edna St. Vincent-Millay
Re: Bards 12/20/2009 09:16 PM CST
>We could argue that we shouldn't have added Farfromhere

Heh. I like Farfromhere. Hibbles has a certain dwarven charm. Plus I like hunting the velociraptors near Raven's Point.
Bards getting PK'd due to messaging bug 08/08/2010 03:33 PM CDT
I just wanted to point out that I was singing hodernia's lilt QUIETly at 10 mana, when I walked through the empath's guild to get healed from hunting some low level monsters. However, apparently the lilt pulsed and hit some moon mage's blue-glow buff or something, said it weakened his shear or something, and next thing I know I'm hit by a 2000 PM burn spell or whatever and very dead.

I talked to the guy after and worked it out but it would be very beneficial for new bard players if this were changed. I'm not sure what other enchantes do this too but its definitely not cool!
Re: Bards getting PK'd due to messaging bug 08/08/2010 03:38 PM CDT
It's not a bug, technically - because it's just "the way they work right now".

SHEAR and enchantes don't work well together, and it will affect even on quiet or in a group.

This is something that has to do with magic/MR/BMR and probably won't be addressed until after the magic re-write.

You'll also see similar affects with PSY (psychic shield) as well.

__
AIM: Ysselt
Re: Bards getting PK'd due to messaging bug 08/08/2010 03:41 PM CDT
This has been a long standing problem where our beneficial AOE enchantes will weaken all barrier spells.

IIRC, the Moon Mage here just felt like killing someone. Lilting loudly inside of an Empath hall is customary, as no one would benefit from it if you were to sing it quietly.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Bards getting PK'd due to messaging bug 08/08/2010 04:14 PM CDT
I was singing it quiet for myself actually, due to being hurt and bleeding from sprites :) Was just walking in to ask for healing.

It definitely hit shear even with quiet
Re: Bards getting PK'd due to messaging bug 08/08/2010 04:58 PM CDT
>IIRC, the Moon Mage here just felt like killing someone.

I agree with this. I've sang LILT pretty much everywhere around town just for myself (sometimes loud, sometimes quiet) and I've never been killed over it. I'm glad you and the player worked it out but I'd watch out for them in future interactions if they're going to jump you with no RP over a vitality buff. I guess I feel like the logical next step should have been a whisper with "What are you playing to affect my spell?" before an attack. I would take something similar happening to me as jumping the gun, especially in the Empath guild.

Bella
>>There are 7 levels of hell, she said, & I think one of them is reserved for people who bring jello salads to every potluck they go to.
Re: Bards getting PK'd due to messaging bug 08/08/2010 05:20 PM CDT
Just to play devil's advocate here, there is a rare (or was, I haven't had it happen in ages) where the SHEAR and ENCHANTE will mesh badly and either the MM or the BARD ends up dead.

It is something that needs to be fixed, but like I said I wouldn't expect it until Magic 3.0
__
Re: Bards getting PK'd due to messaging bug 08/08/2010 06:04 PM CDT
>>...where the SHEAR and ENCHANTE will mesh badly and either the MM or the BARD ends up dead.

Ahahaha that's awesome, I've never seen that before. I'd like a Moon Mage to test this with. Battle of Mental Power... TO THE DEATH.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Bards getting PK'd due to messaging bug 08/08/2010 06:13 PM CDT
It was pretty rare before, and I haven't seen it happen in a long, long time.

It was really disconcerting the first time it happened to me.

__
Re: Bards getting PK'd due to messaging bug 08/08/2010 07:30 PM CDT
To the OP, who was this moon mage? I can get back over to the Crossing and, ah, take care of this situation if you'd like.
Re: Bards getting PK'd due to messaging bug 08/09/2010 08:29 AM CDT
Oh we worked it out, no worries. It just was very frustrating, and I can see similar happening to plenty other new bards if left as-is.
Re: Bards getting PK'd due to messaging bug 08/17/2010 04:26 PM CDT
I'm a little late to the party because I don't read the bard boards but that Moonmage was me.

"IIRC, the Moon Mage here just felt like killing someone."

I did. Just not this person. I was a little on edge playing assassins and got the messaging "unfortunate (but now much richer) bard's spell is weakened by your shear" Or something similar.

I didn't get any of the usual bard noise (maybe because the bard was singing quite), just the message of the spell being weakened. So I took the attack message and ran with it.

Now I've been playing for a while, I'm aware that bards and shear don't mix. This was a bad kill and could have gotten me in trouble. When I was asking why I was cast at and they were asking why the hell they just got killed it clicked for me the mistake I made.

Fortunately WRATHYN is a reasonable person that I was able to make amends with.

"To the OP, who was this moon mage? I can get back over to the Crossing and, ah, take care of this situation if you'd like. "

I'm your huckleberry.

-Serc

"We, the disenfranchised men and women of Elanthia do, by the publishing of this accord, cast off the oppressive yoke of all law and nations and choose for ourselves a path of loyalty unto ourselves"
Re: Bards getting PK'd due to messaging bug 08/17/2010 09:09 PM CDT
>>I'm your huckleberry.

Hahahaha. Love that line in Tombstone. Sercha, you made my day.
Re: Bards getting PK'd due to messaging bug 08/18/2010 01:41 PM CDT
>>I'm glad you and the player worked it out but I'd watch out for them in future interactions if they're going to jump you with no RP over a vitality buff.

Just because the Moon Mage didn't talk/whisper first before killing doesn't mean it wasn't RP.

-GM Abasha
Re: Bards getting PK'd due to messaging bug 08/18/2010 02:52 PM CDT
>>Just because the Moon Mage didn't talk/whisper first before killing doesn't mean it wasn't RP.

If someone killed me over that with nothing whatsoever before they fired off a shot or a spell, I'd be pretty pissed off. I believe that LILTing in the Empath guild is common and not grounds for consent. I've noticed that my enchante was messing with someone's spell before and whispered them to see if it was a problem - I believe that is the more decent reaction than laying them out before asking.

But I suppose this isn't really the time or place to get in a discussion about what constitutes RP. Obviously the Moonie was on edge playing Assassins, it happens.

Bella
>>There are 7 levels of hell, she said, & I think one of them is reserved for people who bring jello salads to every potluck they go to.
Re: Bards getting PK'd due to messaging bug 08/18/2010 03:37 PM CDT
"Just because the Moon Mage didn't talk/whisper first before killing doesn't mean it wasn't RP."

I appreciate this.

With this particular character, twitchy overly violent reaction is exactly within his normal behavior. The problem was that I, the player, misinterpreted what was happening and acted outside of policy.

"If someone killed me over that with nothing whatsoever before they fired off a shot or a spell, I'd be pretty pissed off. I believe that LILTing in the Empath guild is common and not grounds for consent."

I think you're assuming I knew more of what was going on than I did. There was no messaging about a lit. I wasn't even aware that this person was a bard until they were dead.

From my perspective at the time I'd already undergone an attack from this person. The shear messaging does not specify lit, it even explicitly says spell. The sum of my knowledge of what was taking place at the time was that my barrier defense had been activated by the unfortunate bard's SPELL. I was reacting as if I'd been attacked. Generally, in that situation, you don't whisper and ask why until someone is dead.

Problem is that my interpretation of what was taking place was wrong and I killed an innocent bard. Not at all out of character for Serchah, but outside of policy and good player to player manners. That was my fault.

The issue between myself and the player of the bard is resolved. I'm really only offering explanation because there seems to be a perception that PvP is about upsetting the player and ruining their fun. That does happen, but by in large the PvP scene is about the challenge of pitting the skills of my text in addition to my tactics against someone else. It's fun and is even more fun the more people that are involved so I'd like to try not to leave a bad impression to either the bard I killed or the people who happen across the thread.

-Serc

"We, the disenfranchised men and women of Elanthia do, by the publishing of this accord, cast off the oppressive yoke of all law and nations and choose for ourselves a path of loyalty unto ourselves"
Re: Bards getting PK'd due to messaging bug 08/19/2010 08:08 AM CDT
My opinion has nothing to do with PVP in general. I'm not saying the best response would be cry to the GMs or ask for a lengthy apology at all. My gut reaction still would be "Why did that PC just kill me for no discernible reason?" and I don't think that's a crazy observation to make. I am not advocating for any action beyond what happened, and personally I'm glad that it stayed at the PC level and was brought to the boards because it's good for awareness. I don't want to be misinterpreted here for a few comments.

I agree that there should be better messaging or notification than what you received. Personally I can only speak to what I see on my end of the game, and every time I've seen a spell/enchante mesh in a bad way, it's been clear that was going on. If that's not the case for this particular combination, and it's instead registering as an attack to the non-Bard, it should definitely be fixed.

Bella
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page