Prev_page Previous 1 3
Racial Smithing Books 05/31/2014 01:06 AM CDT

I was wondering if there could be sold forging books with racial templates in them. I'm thinking racial weapon templates like the elven iltesh could be sold in a special book at the barbarians guild hall and racial armor templates like gnomish plate mail could be sold at the paladin guild shop. Perhaps even racial tools, like gnomish pliers or something, could be sold at the Trader guild?
Re: Racial Smithing Books 05/31/2014 02:52 AM CDT
I, too, would like to see something similar implemented. I think it should be taken a bit further than that, though, and that armor/clothing/weapon sizes should be introduced. The fact that my Gor'Tog feels just as cozy in his hauberk as a gnome wearing the same hauberk is ... well, stupid. Game could use small/medium/large designations for wearables/wieldables that interact differently with different races. A big old war mattock designed for toggish hands might not be usable by a gnome, but it goes both ways: a tiny dagger designed for a gnome would be as unmanageable in combat as a toothpick for a 'tog.

There's a whole lot of technical load on implementing something like this, I'd wager, and that's probably the big reason why it hasn't been done yet. But it'd add a lot of flavor to the game. Personally I'd love it. A watered down, less technically intensive version could be simple bonuses/penalties applied for using racial tools/weapons/armor. So ... while a 'tog could still actually wear tiny plate designed for a gnome, there'd be a significant penalty for using such poorly matched equipment (rather than being completely unable to wear it in the first place.) Just throwing stuff out there.

And while we're doing this, Tailors/Smiths should be able to size equipment for individuals. Maybe an appraisal message: "This breastplate appears to have been tailored to perfectly fit <character.>" This might give some small hindrance bonus.
Re: Racial Smithing Books 05/31/2014 08:57 AM CDT

I love everything about StellarMagus last post. All of it. :) As a gnome paladin this one gets me a lot!
Re: Racial Smithing Books 05/31/2014 05:32 PM CDT
Racial and Guild only templates (items craftable only by members of a certain race or guild) are supported by the crafting system. However, I've held off on investing time into designing them in favor of finishing the remaining crafting systems.

Racial Weapons and Armor (items usable only by members of a certain race) exist and could be added to the crafting system. Again, I've held off due to the time required.

There is also the problem where once we introduce a "better" racial template, everyone will use it and therefore it becomes the new "standard". IMO combat is already too easy and DR needs more challenges before we can add Tier 7, 8 and 9 template options...

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Racial Smithing Books 05/31/2014 09:59 PM CDT
<<Kodius-IMO combat is already too easy>>

Gulp and blanches though no one can see it. Combat easy? I shudder to think what you are thinking to doing to combat. Please don't make the critters more knowledge about combat. I have a friend who has been a ranger for a long time and she was bemoaning that each time she gets to a new level of critter, it seems critter combat gets made harder and she has to fall back to previously hunted critters.

But you have done of good things for us barbs so I will trust you. Just remember to breathe, eat and sleep and do stuff that's good for you--and code.

Shinarah
Re: Racial Smithing Books 05/31/2014 10:08 PM CDT
Well, the majority of complaints I have investigated have to do with skill spread and players not wanting to allow tertiary skills to "catch up". They want to train ALL skills on one enemy, regardless of how many 100s of ranks they are apart. And so they push the envelope too far and die against critters that are technically too hard for them to fight.

As a player I always trained more weapons than I needed to give my defenses a chance to catch up. Folks just aren't as patient these days :P

Challenging doesn't always mean +damage. Enemies resistant to material types. Enemies with special moves that you need to defeat using Tactics or Combos. Enemies that require interaction with the environment to defeat.

But yes, the removal of crits and the increase in vitality made it much less likely for players to get killed. Stunlock is the last unfair advantage the critters tend to get, and many folks have ways of dealing with it.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Racial Smithing Books 05/31/2014 10:35 PM CDT
<< I have a friend who has been a ranger for a long time and she was bemoaning that each time she gets to a new level of critter, it seems critter combat gets made harder and she has to fall back to previously hunted critters.

I have actually found the opposite to be true with these most recent changes.

Creatures that used to teach at a given rank now cap significantly earlier, and so I have had to move up the ladder much sooner than I otherwise would have. So yes, combat has been getting harder, but only indirectly due to needing to hunt harder creatures than before. Moving down the critter ladder isn't really possible anymore, since learning falls off much sooner.

This is all with the caveat of applying to low to mid level hunting. I'm not sure what effect the recent experience changes had on high level hunting, although all the posts about high level critters no longer teaching perception makes me suspect it is very similar.

It is also with the caveat of having just stood in snow goblins for a couple hours without a scratch and having all my combat skills locked several times over. So I wouldn't even classify it as 'hard.' Just slightly less easy since we still outclass the monsters, just not by as much as we used to.

Re: Racial Smithing Books 05/31/2014 10:42 PM CDT
<<As a player I always trained more weapons than I needed to give my defenses a chance to catch up. Folks just aren't as patient these days :P

I have never had a character with less defenses than weapons, even when limiting myself to only a handful. How do people even manage that? The passive nature of defense learning will outpace the active nature of weapon learning easily. You'd have to purposefully go out of your way to train a weapon or TM in a situation where you can't reasonably defend yourself in order to even train it that high. I guess I just answered my own question...
Re: Racial Smithing Books 05/31/2014 10:46 PM CDT
>This is all with the caveat of applying to low to mid level hunting. I'm not sure what effect the recent experience changes had on high level hunting, although all the posts about high level critters no longer teaching perception makes me suspect it is very similar.

It gets progressively worse the higher level you are due to the skill set gap widening. The higher level you are, the wider the gap between primary and tertiary skills are, unless you've made it a point to keep your skills close. Since the ranges are smaller, this forces characters to either stop training certain skills while the others catch up, or to bounce around between hunting spots to be able to train primary and tertiary at the same time.
Re: Racial Smithing Books 05/31/2014 10:49 PM CDT
>I have never had a character with less defenses than weapons, even when limiting myself to only a handful. How do people even manage that? The passive nature of defense learning will outpace the active nature of weapon learning easily. You'd have to purposefully go out of your way to train a weapon or TM in a situation where you can't reasonably defend yourself in order to even train it that high. I guess I just answered my own question...

Not really, that's the throttling mechanism of skill set placement. Even being in combat for your entire career, if you're survival and armor tertiary you'll have more weapons ranks than evasion and shield unless you purposely preventing weapon training or you're still relatively low circle where the skills will still be fairly even. Time spent learning just exacerbates the gap between skill sets.
Re: Racial Smithing Books 05/31/2014 11:01 PM CDT
<<Not really, that's the throttling mechanism of skill set placement. Even being in combat for your entire career, if you're survival and armor tertiary you'll have more weapons ranks than evasion and shield unless you purposely preventing weapon training or you're still relatively low circle where the skills will still be fairly even. Time spent learning just exacerbates the gap between skill sets.

I didn't have this issue even with my circle 114 Bard, and he spent a good majority of his time in combat. While true at higher ranks the divide becomes larger, so too does critter teaching ranges. You'd need a hell of a lot more weapon ranks than defence ranks in order to find yourself in a situation where you need to hunt one creature in order to train that weapon and need a separate weaker creature in order to train defences.

There were other skills that reflected that significant of a divide. For example, I couldn't train appraisal on creatures I hunted by a long shot but that was because it was consistently trained outside of combat as well so it's not the same situation.

I didn't realize that this was even an issue with purely combat skills. I guess I've just always trained smart then.
Re: Racial Smithing Books 05/31/2014 11:16 PM CDT
>I didn't have this issue even with my circle 114 Bard, and he spent a good majority of his time in combat. While true at higher ranks the divide becomes larger, so too does critter teaching ranges. You'd need a hell of a lot more weapon ranks than defence ranks in order to find yourself in a situation where you need to hunt one creature in order to train that weapon and need a separate weaker creature in order to train defences.

114th is still relatively low where your terts aren't as far apart from your primaries where you're forced to train them in separate places. It also has to do with skill set placement and where it's most noticeable is tertiary defense vs primary magic (TM) or Armor. The gap is still small enough where you should be able to practice a secondary and tertiary skill in the same area however there's still caveats.

>There were other skills that reflected that significant of a divide. For example, I couldn't train appraisal on creatures I hunted by a long shot but that was because it was consistently trained outside of combat as well so it's not the same situation.

I'm not talking about skills trainable both in and out of combat like appraisal it's completely irrelevant.

I didn't realize that this was even an issue with purely combat skills. I guess I've just always trained smart then.

It's got nothing to do with training smart, it has to do with experience gains between the three skill sets. If you have 3 different skills, one from each skill set all learning at the same time they will increasingly drift apart. At 200 ranks they may differ by 50, in the 1k range they can differ as much as 350-400 ranks Since 3.1 narrowed the exp range the further apart they get the less you can learn off one creature. I'd argue keeping your primaries close to your tertiaries isn't very smart at all.
Re: Racial Smithing Books 05/31/2014 11:31 PM CDT
<<It's got nothing to do with training smart, it has to do with experience gains between the three skill sets.

Except the point you're missing is how do you even get them that far apart in the first place, except by training them on multiple creatures? Purposely going out to kill a creature that you can't defend against just to learn more weapons seems like a stupid thing to do imo since you're only shooting yourself in the foot with respect to making it even worse to train. There's a reason why people constantly made fun of that tezirite with like 600 TM and 200 evasion or whatever his actual ranks were. Extreme examples aside, the only way a skill difference gets that high is player decisions about what they train and where. Blaming skill set placement is lazy.

<<At 200 ranks they may differ by 50, in the 1k range they can differ as much as 350-400 ranks

At 200 ranks my defences were still higher than weapons. Nearing 400 ranks it started to even out.

<<Since 3.1 narrowed the exp range

This is something I can understand affecting it. If skill gaps were previously trainable in a single hunting area and the critter ranges were adjusted so that you now fall into this weird middle ground between two hunting areas, that could be an issue. But that is an actual mechanical change resulting in a less than ideal situation rather than player decisions impacting training.
Re: Racial Smithing Books 05/31/2014 11:33 PM CDT
<<I didn't have this issue even with my circle 114 Bard>>

114 is like six months the difference takes longer to see than that.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Racial Smithing Books 05/31/2014 11:35 PM CDT
>>this forces characters to either stop training certain skills while the others catch up, or to bounce around between hunting spots to be able to train primary and tertiary at the same time.

I guess my point is this was always the case in 1.0 and 2.0. Players became used to 3.0 where we did not have the experience balanced quite right. I often complained that as a warrior mage my ability to advance through the game was limited by my tertiary skillsets. Guilds like Barbarians, Rangers and Paladins did not suffer from this effect. But, it was a sacrifice for having fun spells. Probably why I liked being a Barbarian better in many ways due to the skillset differences.

Players earn skill about 750 quadrillion times faster since new exp went into effect. Tertiary skills also don't wall-rank nearly as much as they used to. So you aren't spending nearly as long catching stuff up!

What would players have us do? If you have 800 in weapons and even just 600 in defense, that is a difference of 200 ranks. The only way to allow you to safely hunt and learn is by offering absolutely no risk or challenge. Is it even a game at that point?

Re: Racial Smithing Books 05/31/2014 11:37 PM CDT

<<Except the point you're missing is how do you even get them that far apart in the first place, except by training them on multiple creatures? >>

pretty sure you are missing the point. At the higher end 1000s. You can notice (probably will notice) significant drifts been skill sets.

Re: Racial Smithing Books 05/31/2014 11:38 PM CDT
<<Players became used to 3.0 where we did not have the experience balanced quite right.

This got me thinking that I should note I pretty much completely missed 3.0 in it's entirety, so my reference point may be based on different assumptions than others are working with.
Re: Racial Smithing Books 05/31/2014 11:39 PM CDT

<<What would players have us do? If you have 800 in weapons and even just 600 in defense, that is a difference of 200 ranks. The only way to allow you to safely hunt and learn is by offering absolutely no risk or challenge. Is it even a game at that point? >>

To me it's fine skill sets are there for a reason, I was just trying to explain how they matter later.

Re: Racial Smithing Books 05/31/2014 11:48 PM CDT
>Except the point you're missing is how do you even get them that far apart in the first place, except by training them on multiple creatures?

You're missing the point, they get that far apart because that's what skill sets and the pool size/drain rate is for. They're there as a throttling mechanism so that you're not learning 100% of your skills at the fastest rate possible. It's there to slow down progression.

Purposely going out to kill a creature that you can't defend against just to learn more weapons seems like a stupid thing to do imo since you're only shooting yourself in the foot with respect to making it even worse to train. There's a reason why people constantly made fun of that tezirite with like 600 TM and 200 evasion or whatever his actual ranks were.

Stopping primary skill training just so you can catch up your tertiary skill to where you can train them both together seems like a stupid thing to me. Especially since time dictates what your ranks will be. Would you rather spend 4 months getting 300 evasion and 500 TM by learning them in two different places but both at the same time, or would you rather spend 4 months getting 300 evasion and 300 TM so that you can learn them without rank disparity? I'd rather have 300 evasion and 500 TM personally, or else why have primary skill drain to begin with. They might as well all be tertiary?

Extreme examples aside, the only way a skill difference gets that high is player decisions about what they train and where. Blaming skill set placement is lazy.

As I've mentioned repeatedly, skill set placement IS the reason why the difference gets so high if you choose to actively train a primary skill and a tertiary skill at the same rate. If it weren't, why are learning rates different between primary, secondary and tertiary? When/If you get to a high level you'll see this happen for yourself, unless you prefer to slowly but surely keep all of your skills even, in which case, great. That's how you want to train your character, there's nothing wrong with that. There's lots of people that don't want to give up learning some of their primary skills while they wait for their terts to catch up. They don't have to, it doesn't make them a glass cannon, it doesn't make them an ineffective trainer, it actually makes them more effective to be honest.

>This is something I can understand affecting it. If skill gaps were previously trainable in a single hunting area and the critter ranges were adjusted so that you now fall into this weird middle ground between two hunting areas, that could be an issue. But that is an actual mechanical change resulting in a less than ideal situation rather than player decisions impacting training.

This was the case, in 3.0 you were easily able to train primary through tertiary skills on one creature. With the exp range tightening you can't do this any longer, the work around for that is to train on multiple creatures, not to stop training your primaries so the rest can catch up.
Re: Racial Smithing Books 05/31/2014 11:55 PM CDT
>I guess my point is this was always the case in 1.0 and 2.0. Players became used to 3.0 where we did not have the experience balanced quite right. I often complained that as a warrior mage my ability to advance through the game was limited by my tertiary skillsets. Guilds like Barbarians, Rangers and Paladins did not suffer from this effect. But, it was a sacrifice for having fun spells. Probably why I liked being a Barbarian better in many ways due to the skillset differences.

Oh I agree, I'm happy with the 3.x paradigm shift. 1.0 and 2.0 would only allow you to efficiently train maybe 3-4 weapons at most. There's a lot that's changed from new exp, to 3.0 creature experience that's changed the way us players can train our characters. 3.0 gave us the ability to not be held back between primary and tertiary skills, instead we were able to train naturally (albeit a little too much, see 40+ skills training.) 3.1 sort of changed this, we can no longer milk those creatures for as long as we did and we have to move up and hunt smarter.

>Players earn skill about 750 quadrillion times faster since new exp went into effect. Tertiary skills also don't wall-rank nearly as much as they used to. So you aren't spending nearly as long catching stuff up!

>What would players have us do? If you have 800 in weapons and even just 600 in defense, that is a difference of 200 ranks. The only way to allow you to safely hunt and learn is by offering absolutely no risk or challenge. Is it even a game at that point?

I agree and I'm not complaining. Before 3.1 I was learning everything off one mob. Now with the narrowing of the exp ranges I'm forced to visit 3 different sets of creatures to work my primary/secondary and tertiary skills. I think it's a good change, at least for some of us. There's others that may be frustrated (Zinaca) because they haven't figured out the best way to tackle 3.1
Re: Racial Smithing Books 06/01/2014 03:55 PM CDT
I love training 10 weapons (including brawling and offhand). It just makes sense to me for a barb to train a lot of weapons and thus earn the benefit of getting defenses tactics etc higher than weapons. I don't circle as fast as others, but I'm looking at the long run. When I'm circle 120 and someone wants to spar me using my 8th weapon (thinking it is really low) I can stun them and spit em on my stave and be done with it. : D

Shinarah
Re: Racial Smithing Books 06/01/2014 08:24 PM CDT

There you go Shinrah, lets fight, I choose ninth weapons.

Re: Racial Smithing Books 06/02/2014 05:15 PM CDT

Okay, this is a cool thread. Why not, at 150th circle, grant along with some sort of neato title a flat 10% learning rate boost to Minors and 15% boost to tertiaries? They are not only representing their guild at that point but adventurer's everywhere, I'd say. In any case, I would in some way look forward to wearing gnomish plate mail even if it had lower protection (thin) but the lowest plate hindrance. I wouldn't mind if it was not on a practical level impressive at all.
Re: Racial Smithing Books 06/02/2014 05:20 PM CDT
>>Why not, at 150th circle, grant along with some sort of neato title a flat 10% learning rate boost to Minors and 15% boost to tertiaries? They are not only representing their guild at that point but adventurer's everywhere, I'd say.

Once you have skills in the 150th range you should probably be slowed down even more, not sped up.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Racial Smithing Books 06/02/2014 05:27 PM CDT
>Why not, at 150th circle, grant along with some sort of neato title a flat 10% learning rate boost to Minors and 15% boost to tertiaries?

I can think of no reason to do this. If you hit 150, and suddenly wish you'd trained something else, nothing is stopping you from doing so. If anything, depending on the skill, you'll have the supreme advantage of stats and other skills supporting your endeavor.

My Necromancer at 100th started backtraining locksmithing, and was able to do so with boxes above his range, because of how high his perception is. It also meant he wasn't completely hindered by carrying a backpack full of boxes.
Re: Racial Smithing Books 06/02/2014 06:07 PM CDT
The skill gaps, at least when I type out some numbers here, are pretty insane. I'm not convinced the mentioned things, while valid individually, add up to compensate for this. Players that reach this circle have been loyal players a long time. I don't see how this is such a bad thing- heck make them pay LTB points for it per month or something.
Re: Racial Smithing Books 06/02/2014 06:18 PM CDT
>>The skill gaps, at least when I type out some numbers here, are pretty insane

From the sound of it, that's actually an intentional buffer.

>>I don't see how this is such a bad thing

Because of game balance.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Racial Smithing Books 06/02/2014 08:03 PM CDT
Combat and many other systems are based on %s. So the number gaps aren't as bad as they appear. Some legacy systems still use a rank-based approach, and we are working to improve those.

Don't rush it. It isn't a race, because winning just means losing.

Re: Racial Smithing Books 06/03/2014 08:56 AM CDT

It sounds like you're advocating for the homogenization of character skills not as a function of characters hard work, but just because they've reached a certain circle mark. I think you're forgetting that what makes characters interesting is strengths and weaknesses. Equal circles, a Paladin should never have more impressive magical skill than a Moon Mage, unless the Paladin has worked crazy hard to do so, just like something is weird when a Moon Mage can out perform a Barbarian with weapons.

I appreciate that PvP balance is a concern of players, and it should be balanced to the best of the mods abilities, but not by removing the variety and more to the point, the weaknesses that make each guild interesting. I think the game is in the best place it's ever been, but I do feel that a lot of players have forgotten that this is a roleplaying game first, and part of roleplaying a character is recognizing and dealing with various weaknesses. No one quits a D&D campaign because you didn't roll all 18s.

Recognize your weaknesses, work around them, or be prepared for a long haul to bring them up to your strengths.
Re: Racial Smithing Books 06/03/2014 03:27 PM CDT
>Tertiary skills also don't wall-rank nearly as much as they used to.

I thought wall ranks went the way of the dodo along with clear and tired but I hate this... I mean, alert.
Re: Racial Smithing Books 06/03/2014 07:15 PM CDT
Maybe? I honestly don't know much of how new exp works other than its a trillion times faster than when I used to play, and evokes emotions of acute angst when people complain about it. >:\

Re: Racial Smithing Books 06/03/2014 08:51 PM CDT
It is so much easier than it used to be. I still remember a time when 30th circle was considered quite the achievement, and circles 70+ were so rare as to be celebrities.
Re: Racial Smithing Books 06/03/2014 09:21 PM CDT
I remember when we all thought if only we could get to 50th, we could finally actually fight in the invasions. :)

===
My spathas at hand,
From the ashes I rise,
With resolve in my heart,
And fire in my eyes.
Re: Racial Smithing Books 06/03/2014 09:51 PM CDT

<<I thought wall ranks went the way of the dodo along with clear and tired but I hate this... I mean, alert.

Wall ranks still exist, since the requirement for a wall rank cycle is in the core code. That said, their impact is greatly reduced from before.
Re: Racial Smithing Books 06/03/2014 10:06 PM CDT
>I remember when we all thought if only we could get to 50th, we could finally actually fight in the invasions. :)

150 is the new 50 :(

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Racial Smithing Books 06/03/2014 10:40 PM CDT
<150 is the new 50 :(

Yeh, don't think I'll ever hit it.

===
My spathas at hand,
From the ashes I rise,
With resolve in my heart,
And fire in my eyes.
Re: Racial Smithing Books 06/04/2014 06:09 AM CDT
My favorite character is over 2 years old and still under 150th. I play him all the time and love him the most, because the rank rat race is so unfun. Beyond 150th, there's nothing great/impressive about circles, because there is no development that supports incentive to go beyond it.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Racial Smithing Books 06/04/2014 06:55 AM CDT

I also heart my lower character which is also a tog barbarian for the record. It will never get to 150.

Re: Racial Smithing Books 06/04/2014 10:18 AM CDT
Hitting 150 is anti-climactic. It's not even necessary anymore if you like to PvP since many regular sparring events usually match participants based on what they hunt. I'd go as far as to say being top dog is probably a burden if you like to participate in organized PvP. Raikage or Gort, for instance, show up regularly and they never have anyone or anyone new to fight.
Re: Racial Smithing Books 06/04/2014 01:31 PM CDT
Finishing up crafting is good! I am waiting for those last 3 techniques for smithing and chakral carving to come out. Hopefully I will be at over 1200 in Engineering by the time it is released. 750 ML and Eng. 700 and both climbing!

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Forging Guru of M'Riss
Prev_page Previous 1 3