Prev_page Previous 1 3
The "best" bastard sword 11/01/2009 09:09 AM CST
Dealing with just regular metals, I've always been led to believe 36 stones is the best possible bastard sword weight once you can swing it at minimum RT, but as my strength and agility go up I find myself wondering if I can upgrade.

So forgers of DR, can anything be accomplished by going heavier?

Regardless of the answer to the above question, I'm pretty sure my current basties are not perfect, so I'll probably be in the market for a couple perfect replacements.

Laniea came through some massive doors.
Laniea appears to be aiming at Mesanna with her forester's crossbow.
You praise Laniea's efforts, supporting her with your approval.
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/01/2009 09:51 AM CST
I've been looking for this sword for a while. A couple people said they could make it then never produced one.

A bastard sword is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
low puncture damage
great slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the sword is fairly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

A bastard sword is a two-handed edged melee-ranged weapon.

low puncture damage
severe slice damage
moderate impact damage

You are certain that the sword is reasonably balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the bastard sword is moderately strong, and is in pristine condition.

The bastard sword is made with metal.
You are certain that the bastard sword weighs exactly 50 stones.
You are certain that the bastard sword is worth exactly 10000 lirums.

Formerly Known As Nitish

>Alisyn edges away from you.
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/01/2009 09:55 AM CST
If you've willing to look hard for awhile why not look for a severe/severe bastie?
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/01/2009 11:10 AM CST
Kragj2,

The bastard sword you showed are you sure that is regular metals? Are you sure its recent as in the last 6-8 years? Do you have one or know of someone who has that?

The reason I ask those questions is that as far as I know, that can't be done with today's tweaks to forging. A few bugs ago that was possible with some interesting mixing practices, with glaes/kertig, with buggy bronze-alloy, and (wait for it, wait for it) ... bugged grinding. But bugged grinding is way back in the day like when forging first came out.

Parts of your sword shows things that I have on my barb. It's kertig.

low puncture damage
severe slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the sword is fairly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the bastard sword is very strong, and is in pristine condition.

You wonder if the bastard sword might weigh a few tens of stones.
You are certain that the bastard sword is worth exactly 12500 kronars.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

low puncture damage
severe slice damage
moderate impact damage

You are certain that the sword is reasonably balanced and is well suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the bastard sword is very strong, and is in pristine condition.

You wonder if the bastard sword might weigh several tens of stones.

Naissura hefts the bastard sword and puts it on the medium balance scale. She patiently adds small sacks of stones on the other side till the beam becomes exactly level.

Naissura squints at the balance beam needle and says, "The sword weighs about forty-eight stones," and puts the sword on the counter.

---

analyze sword

The bastard sword is a forged heavy edged weapon.
It was made by someone with much less skill than your own.
It is in perfect condition.
You notice some mistakes were made in its manufacture.
It is a somewhat challenging piece to make.
By pattern of forge imprints and hammer impressions on the bastard sword, you recognize it as your own work.
It was ground for edge, balance.
From the pattern of grinding marks on the bastard sword, you recognize it as your own work.
It was pounded out several times.
From what you can tell, it is made up of:
kertig.

Roundtime: 19 seconds.

===

I will look into seeing if I can make that steel one but I just don't think its doable. Or if it is I may not have the skill right now to do it.
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/01/2009 11:34 AM CST
>>The bastard sword you showed are you sure that is regular metals? Are you sure its recent as in the last 6-8 years? Do you have one or know of someone who has that?

>>The reason I ask those questions is that as far as I know, that can't be done with today's tweaks to forging. A few bugs ago that was possible with some interesting mixing practices, with glaes/kertig, with buggy bronze-alloy, and (wait for it, wait for it) ... bugged grinding. But bugged grinding is way back in the day like when forging first came out.

I've made S/S within the last couple months out of regular metals, I don't see why G/S would be that implausible. I'm headed to the forge now to make some more, I'll post an app when i'm done
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/01/2009 12:31 PM CST

low puncture damage
severe slice damage
low impact damage

low puncture damage
severe slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the bastard sword is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

You are certain that the bastard sword weighs exactly 54 stones.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.

I'm on a Motor-boat!!
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/01/2009 12:41 PM CST
It was made by someone with abilities close to your own skill.
It is a simple piece to make.
By pattern of forge imprints and hammer impressions on the bastard sword, you recognize it as your own work.
From the pattern of grinding marks on the bastard sword, you recognize it as your own work.
It was pounded on multiple times.
It contains steel with 22.9 percent carbon content.
Roundtime: 19 seconds.

I'm on a Motor-boat!!
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/01/2009 01:15 PM CST
This one is steel...

You draw out your bastard sword from the greatsword sheath, gripping it firmly in your right hand.
> app sword careful

low puncture damage
severe slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the sword is poorly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

low puncture damage
severe slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the sword is poorly balanced and is well suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the bastard sword is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

You are certain that the bastard sword weighs exactly 54 stones.

R> analyze sword

It was made by someone with less skill than your own.
It is a simple piece to make.
It was ground for edge, striking power.
It was pounded out several times.

and it is steel.. even if my analzye will not tell me that. The 36 is better for parry, this hits harder.
______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/01/2009 01:32 PM CST
Sorry I didn't make it obvious on my posts but there were no special metals in that one. Just plain ol lead and iron and a lot of dust.

I'm on a Motor-boat!!
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/01/2009 05:27 PM CST
I make the 50 stone basties that Kragj2 mentioned. g/s f/r, r/r, mod impact... very nice weapon. It will only cost you a TF membership and 10,000 plat to get one from me, though sometimes just a TF membership and you can have one for free.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/01/2009 05:27 PM CST
the thing i was noting was the construction. The Sr/Sr grinds kill the sword.
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/01/2009 05:28 PM CST
<<I make the 50 stone basties that Kragj2 mentioned. g/s f/r, r/r, mod impact... very nice weapon. It will only cost you a TF membership and 10,000 plat to get one from me, though sometimes just a TF membership and you can have one for free.

Is it 50 stones on the dot?
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/01/2009 05:48 PM CST
>The bastard sword you showed are you sure that is regular metals? Are you sure its recent as in the last 6-8 years? Do you have one or know of someone who has that?

>The reason I ask those questions is that as far as I know, that can't be done with today's tweaks to forging. A few bugs ago that was possible with some interesting mixing practices, with glaes/kertig, with buggy bronze-alloy, and (wait for it, wait for it) ... bugged grinding. But bugged grinding is way back in the day like when forging first came out.

I was told that it was possible.

Rikulf said he could do it, but then kept breaking them. He hasn't gotten back to me in weeks.

Phii is said to be able to make them, but said that she won't be making them for a while and that I should seek out the trader she uses.

I don't know who else was said to be able to make them, but IIRC Blazzon was mentioned. If it's not Blazzon, then it's another Bsomething name.

Crossing traders act like I am crazy when I ask about such a blade. Pretty sure Drevid can't make it. If Drevid can then the traders that he deals through don't have it on their lists.

If anyone could hook me up with the name of someone to get in touch with to have two made in Prime, that'd be awesome. I'm willing to pay a decent amount for them, although nothing near 10,000 plat. ;)

Formerly Known As Nitish

>Alisyn edges away from you.
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/01/2009 05:49 PM CST
It's most likely not having the mix more than the skill.
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/01/2009 06:04 PM CST
>>Is it 50 stones on the dot? <<

Yes. As far as 700 in appraisal tells me and a bronze donated to MAMA's for the weighing. It's possible it might be 50.2 stones or 49.8, but I'm not sure how I would measure that.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

Solomon
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/01/2009 06:56 PM CST
<<Yes. As far as 700 in appraisal tells me and a bronze donated to MAMA's for the weighing. It's possible it might be 50.2 stones or 49.8, but I'm not sure how I would measure that.

Interesting I'll contact you later on that. Because I can make this blade but its a bit soft.

low puncture damage
great slice damage
fair impact damage

You believe that the bastard sword probably weighs a few tens of stones.

low puncture damage
severe slice damage
moderate impact damage

You wonder if the bastard sword might weigh several tens of stones.

and I didn't grind enough balance so i need to make another 2 to grind more balance to figure out the exact amount for r/r in 2he. Its the same mix as 54 sr/sr without grind edge.
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/01/2009 09:56 PM CST
Miir, what would a pair of those swords cost? You can contact me via AIM or email if you'd rather discuss it there.

Laniea came through some massive doors.
Laniea appears to be aiming at Mesanna with her forester's crossbow.
You praise Laniea's efforts, supporting her with your approval.
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/01/2009 10:13 PM CST
After discussing it with Hide. Its a fairly good mix for that. My hats off to him. It doesn't hit severe there just aren't enough grinds allowed since max grinds are 19.

But yeah i'm sure we'll be seeing this sword hit the rounds in prime on trader tables real soon.
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/02/2009 06:50 AM CST
Keep us posted, I want an impact upgrade!

low puncture damage
great slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the sword is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

low puncture damage
severe slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the sword is reasonably balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the bastard sword is moderately strong, and is in pristine condition.

You are certain that the bastard sword weighs exactly 50 stones.
You are certain that the bastard sword is worth exactly 9020 dokoras.

It was made by someone with significantly more skill than your own.
It is a somewhat challenging piece to make.
From the pattern of forge imprints and hammer impressions on the bastard sword, you recognize it as the work of Magdar Bluefletch.

Roundtime: 16 seconds.

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Tolle says, "Yup yup, 'bout time. What the heck took you so long?"
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/02/2009 06:24 PM CST
This all looks like freaking greek to me. :(

~Mammoth Rider Maulem Akavame, Death Dealer of Therengia

Caraamon loudly asks, "Ya still got tasks fer us ta do, Les?"
>
The Barbarian Guildleader Les says, "Kill. Don't care what. Make dead."
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/02/2009 06:52 PM CST
What part do you not understand, Maulem?

- Simon
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/02/2009 07:47 PM CST
>>Keep us posted, I want an impact upgrade!<<

I gave my mix away last night, so prime should start seeing some g/s 50 stone f/r, r/r, mod impact, mod strong basties soon.

Solomon
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/03/2009 04:18 AM CST
Any chance you'd email it to me for a few of us forgers in plat to use?

Thanks,

- The Moose
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/03/2009 05:23 AM CST
Sure. Though I clicked on the "email author" link and my computer didn't like it, so I'll need either an AIM or email addy. Or you can get in touch with me at ArcherTF via AIM. If you see me up on AIM, that means I'm ATK even though I'm a TF scripting zombie... The mix I use for the 50 stone basties also makes a rockin heavy slice 33 stone scim, so you get 2 for 1.

Solomon
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/03/2009 05:32 AM CST
Actually... I'll leave my AIM up all day while I'm at work and will be able to respond to requests when I get home. ArcherTF is the screen name.

Solomon
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/03/2009 08:40 AM CST
>I gave my mix away last night,

I for one really appreciate this. I understand that after a certain amount of skill, it's all about the mix for what you can make, but all the mix secrecy really annoys the crap out of me. So from me, and anyone else that's going to enjoy the new product, thank you.

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Tolle says, "Yup yup, 'bout time. What the heck took you so long?"
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/03/2009 09:00 AM CST
>> but all the mix secrecy really annoys the crap out of me

And this is one reason I will always appreciate Drevid.

- The Moose
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/03/2009 09:09 AM CST
Yeah I just didn't have the mix.

Player of Drevid and Jhaval

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/03/2009 10:14 AM CST
I understand mix secrecy. Several years ago there were a few of us that spent thousands of hours and plats learning mixing and coming up with most of the commonly used mixes today. It's why I don't hold a grudge on someone who keeps a mix a secret if they discovered it.
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/03/2009 03:02 PM CST
<<I for one really appreciate this. I understand that after a certain amount of skill, it's all about the mix for what you can make, but all the mix secrecy really annoys the crap out of me. So from me, and anyone else that's going to enjoy the new product, thank you.

I'm of two minds on mix secrecy. If you spent X amount of hours researching and you figured something out, it should be upto that person to decide if they want to give it out or trade it or whatever.

I for one have no problems sharing mixes if the other person is really into forging. I DO NOT like giving out mixes that will make me coin to someone who just bought someone and needs mixes to compete with me.

If Drevid , Magdar, Pendus & Mekage ask me for mixes I'd be more than happy to give them what I know. But if Joe "I Just bought a capped Barb" asked me for mixes I have mixed results about it. Granted I'm in the same "boat" from the bought but I think I at least earned my knowledge.
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/03/2009 03:12 PM CST
I think the problem to begin with is that it takes x amount of hours to figure out a mix. Hopefully new forging will take care of this. I don't want to have to have an intimate association with chemistry to make weapons in DR.
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/03/2009 03:15 PM CST
Well, it's math oriented. Like most applicable systems in DR.

- Simon
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/03/2009 03:24 PM CST
>>Well, it's math oriented. Like most applicable systems in DR.

Forging is the only creation skill in game that you need a degree in math to do well in though. I don't need to know complex formulas to: Carve a bow, embroider, make prayer beads, enchant ect.

Some of these might have complex formulas to figure out what skills needed to make the best but once you have the skills it's just straight making it, no needing to figure out at what angle I need to carve my longbow to get the best power.
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/03/2009 03:31 PM CST
<<Forging is the only creation skill in game that you need a degree in math to do well in though. I don't need to know complex formulas to: Carve a bow, embroider, make prayer beads, enchant ect.>>

Yep, I agree with that.

- Simon
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/03/2009 03:32 PM CST
<<Forging is the only creation skill in game that you need a degree in math to do well in though.

You don't need a degree. It's rather simple math.

<<but once you have the skills it's just straight making it

This is what made early forging so much fun, it was engaging, and not just "carve me up a capped bow".
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/03/2009 03:38 PM CST
I've never gotten deep into forging but my experience is that anyone willing to put enough effort into it could figure it out. Once everything changes and the thrown templates are fixed I'll probably get more into it.

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/03/2009 03:38 PM CST
Enchant. Straightforward.

Riiiiiiight.

Ever made an Astral Guide?

Dartenian says, "The thing that makes Dragon Dance king is that it pretty much bonuses every single that can possibly be buffed for combat. Including at least two things that don't even exist."
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/03/2009 03:39 PM CST
<<This is what made early forging so much fun, it was engaging, and not just "carve me up a capped bow".

I still remember playing with forging mixes during classes in school. Heck, i wrote scripts on paper and planned skill and creature progression in classes!
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/03/2009 03:40 PM CST
<<I still remember playing with forging mixes during classes in school. Heck, i wrote scripts on paper and planned skill and creature progression in classes!>>

Haha, awesome ;)

- Simon
Re: The "best" bastard sword 11/03/2009 04:16 PM CST
Once you figure out recipes, it does come down to just "make me a x-weight y". But the math, ultimately, is fun.

I've got a fair handful of recipes I made myself for abnormal weapons. Right now I only cap MEs and javelins, but for instance I've got a recipe for a solid 45 stone cutlass that I'm not sure many others have.

I'm a cleric with a habit of dabbling a little in everything, but I found initially learning forging to be very interesting, and I imagine it'll be that way again when the mech split happens.

Segmere
Shadow Priest, Baron's Own Militia

"The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep." ~WC Fields
Prev_page Previous 1 3