Prev_page Previous 1
Berserk Earthquake 08/25/2013 01:11 PM CDT
Howdy folks. I just released Berserk Earthquake into Prime. This berserk allows you to perform cyclic attacks against anything you are engaged within range of your pole or melee weapon. Every so often the berserk will assess your engaged targets and try to perform an attack on them. If the attack succeeds in hitting, there is then a contest of Power vs Reflex to see if hitting them with the flat of your weapon (or hand) was able to disrupt them.

A success results in a loss of balance, knocking the opponent to their knees, a short stun or a small bit of roundtime being awarded to the defender. The roundtime is rarest and requires you to be almost capping the ability. I don't see this ability being too useful one-on-one, but it is a good way to keep a mob of enemies disrupted while you train on them.

This works very similar to cyclic magic spells like chorus of madmen or Rimefang. No RT or fatigue is used from the attacker, as they are purely bonus attacks. At some point I may try to rewrite combat enough to allow actual attacks in this manner, but it wasn't something I could get done in the next few months.

Please let me know what you think!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Berserk Earthquake 08/25/2013 01:35 PM CDT
What is 'Power' in this contest?

Er, and what level ability is this, just to verify elanthipedia is/was/still accurate?

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Berserk Earthquake 08/25/2013 01:49 PM CDT
It is an advanced ability. Power is mostly strength, some stamina and a little discipline IIRC.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Berserk Earthquake 08/25/2013 01:52 PM CDT
> What is 'Power' in this contest?

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Contested_spells
Re: Berserk Earthquake 08/25/2013 01:57 PM CDT
You dash forward in an attempt to strike an adult desert armadillo!
The flat of your slams into an adult desert armadillo's side and unleashes a very unbalancing blow!
[You're winded, adeptly balanced and overwhelming opponent.]
The flat of your slams into an adult desert armadillo's side and unleashes a very unbalancing blow!
The quaking fury inside of you continues unabated.

INTERESTING!

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Forging Guru of M'Riss
Re: Berserk Earthquake 08/25/2013 01:58 PM CDT
> The flat of *your• slams into an adult desert armadillo's side and unleashes a very unbalancing blow!

What weapon were you using?
Re: Berserk Earthquake 08/25/2013 01:59 PM CDT
brawling.. empty handed.

______
Re: Berserk Earthquake 08/25/2013 02:02 PM CDT
seems OK with a weapon.

>
The flat of your axe slams into an adult desert armadillo's side and unleashes a very stunning blow!
The flat of your axe slams into an adult desert armadillo's side and unleashes a very crushing blow!
The flat of your axe crashes into an adult desert armadillo's side and unleashes a very unbalancing blow!
[You're winded, adeptly balanced and in dominating position.]

______
Re: Berserk Earthquake 08/25/2013 02:10 PM CDT
>>The flat of your axe slams into an adult desert armadillo's side and unleashes a very stunning blow!

this happen to teach the weapon in hand?

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Berserk Earthquake 08/25/2013 02:14 PM CDT
Let me test that Codiax.

______
Re: Berserk Earthquake 08/25/2013 02:21 PM CDT
It seems not to teach. I switched to 2hb and went to peccaries.

You dash forward in an attempt to strike a bristle-backed peccary!
The flat of your maul cracks into a bristle-backed peccary's side and unleashes a very crushing blow!
[You're solidly balanced and in very strong position.]

>
The bristle-backed peccary stands back up.

>
* A bristle-backed peccary lowers its head, tilts it to one side, and slashes its curved tusks at you. You block solidly with a dented audrualm shield embossed with Kertigen's raven.
[You're solidly balanced and in superior position.]
>
* A bristle-backed peccary uses its tusks like dueling blades, twisting violently at you. You evade.
[You're solidly balanced and in good position.]
>
You dash forward in an attempt to strike a bristle-backed peccary!
The flat of your maul crashes into a bristle-backed peccary's side and unleashes a very stunning blow!
[You're solidly balanced and in dominating position.]

NOPE Codiax, it teaches nothing.
______
Re: Berserk Earthquake 08/25/2013 02:22 PM CDT
This ability is not designed to teach weapon skills because it results in no damage. It trains IF and Augmentation like other berserks.

Re: Berserk Earthquake 08/25/2013 02:26 PM CDT
It stuns and knocks over critters. And seems to have a positive effect on my balance and position.

______
Re: Berserk Earthquake 08/25/2013 02:27 PM CDT
Alright, fixed the messaging when fighting unarmed.

Re: Berserk Earthquake 08/25/2013 02:32 PM CDT
It seems pretty cool, Kodius. Thanks for cranking this out.

"If swords ever cross, the Barbarian shall be the one left standing." - Guild Leader Agonar
Re: Berserk Earthquake 08/25/2013 02:34 PM CDT
> It trains IF and Augmentation like other berserks.

Given what it does, shouldn't it be Debilitation?
Re: Berserk Earthquake 08/25/2013 02:39 PM CDT
I thought it was supposed to do damage to what was engaged with you over time. Has this proposed effect been eliminated or just awaiting expertise for implementation?

______
Re: Berserk Earthquake 08/25/2013 02:41 PM CDT
> I thought it was supposed to do damage to what was engaged with you over time. Has this proposed effect been eliminated or just awaiting expertise for implementation?

From Kodius's post:

>At some point I may try to rewrite combat enough to allow actual attacks in this manner, but it wasn't something I could get done in the next few months.
Re: Berserk Earthquake 08/25/2013 02:48 PM CDT
It was shaping up to be a very large project to make Earthquake do damage without causing the user RT. At some point I'll create a new berserk that does damage, but you will not be able to stack them.

And yes, debilitation not augmentation.

Re: Berserk Earthquake 08/26/2013 01:06 AM CDT
Nice. I'll have to give it a shot but it looks pretty cool.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Berserk Earthquake 08/30/2013 11:02 AM CDT
Hey there Kodius, is Earthquake supposed to hit everything at melee? It seems to, some of the time, but not all the time...

here is an example:

---
>ass
You assess your combat situation...

You (incredibly balanced) are facing a lava drake (4) at melee range.
A lava drake (2: very badly balanced) is behind you at melee range.
A lava drake (3: badly balanced) is behind you at melee range.
A lava drake (4: badly balanced) is facing you at melee range.
A lava drake (5: kneeling and badly balanced) is flanking you at melee range.

(You are also defending against a lava drake.)
>
The drake grows fluid, forming into a ball and then reforming in an upright position.
>
You dash forward in an attempt to strike a lava drake!
Moving gracefully, a lava drake evades your unbalancing blow!

I am really liking this ability though, good work. It is nice to have something different like this.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Berserk Earthquake 08/30/2013 11:05 AM CDT
I'm guessing it simply doesn't message when you fail the contest. Cuts down on scroll that way.
Re: Berserk Earthquake 08/30/2013 11:26 PM CDT
Yeah it has a chance to hit everything engaged with you every pulse, but just a chance. More skill will improve this chance.

Re: Berserk Earthquake 08/30/2013 11:48 PM CDT
Ok thanks for the info, my debilitation is pretty low for where I am hunting so probably have some good room for improvement there.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Berserk Earthquake 09/01/2013 01:11 AM CDT
martin - just curious what you consider low for drakes? I don't use that skill very often, but I noticed my roars aren't very effective either. I typically use roar quiet anger. However, it's not usually useful - to the point of not really incorporating them except for the sake of locking Debilitation to be honest.

Debilitation: 627 85.43% engaged (22/34)
Strength : 100
Discipline : 100
Charisma : 84

If you're finding other roars useful vs these guys, I'd be more than happy to try it out.

Don't make accounts while under the influence - it may lead to ridiculous spelling errors.
Re: Berserk Earthquake 09/01/2013 10:32 AM CDT
Drakes have 80-100ish stats, so they will be difficult to affect (with those stats) without first softening them up with screech or using a roar helm. There is probably some balancing that needs to occur at the high end with critters. I'll put it on the list.

Re: Berserk Earthquake 09/22/2013 06:48 PM CDT
Not sure anyone posted this yet, but earthquake does not work against other players ever. Wondering if you plan to fix this, or if that was intended?
Re: Berserk Earthquake 09/22/2013 11:19 PM CDT
Could you be more specific? Are they resisting it, or does it not attempt to work on them? It should work on the much like it does on critters, provided you pass the to-hit and SvS contests.

Re: Berserk Earthquake 09/23/2013 10:18 AM CDT
This help??? No attack in minutes.

Seabrin begins to advance on you!
Seabrin advances from nearby and is closing steadily.

>
Seabrin closes to melee range on you!
>
Seabrin cannot concentrate to teach Engineering in combat.
> ber earth

You form the epicenter of a violent rage bent on crumbling your enemies!

>
Seabrin takes off a pilgrim's badge.
> face seab

You are already facing Seabrin.

>
> adv seab

You are already at melee with Seabrin.

>
Seabrin puts on a pilgrim's badge.
> [11:14] l
[11:14] [The Golden Sunrise, Hold]
[11:14] Large chests and crates of supplies are covered with sturdy netting. A long table on one end offers a place to separate supplies as well as to take a quick break from the work above.
[11:14] You also see a sturdy chair crafted from pieces of oak and a white towel embellished with a crest.
[11:14] Also here: Seabrin.
[11:14] Ship paths: up.

[11:14] > [11:14] l
[11:14] [The Golden Sunrise, Hold]
[11:14] Large chests and crates of supplies are covered with sturdy netting. A long table on one end offers a place to separate supplies as well as to take a quick break from the work above.
[11:14] You also see a sturdy chair crafted from pieces of oak and a white towel embellished with a crest.
[11:14] Also here: Seabrin.
[11:14] Ship paths: up.

[11:14] > [11:15] ass
[11:15] You assess your combat situation...

[11:15] You (solidly balanced) are facing Seabrin at melee range.
[11:15] Seabrin (solidly balanced) is facing you at melee range.

[11:15] >
11:15] You (solidly balanced) are facing Seabrin at melee range.
[11:15] Seabrin (solidly balanced) is facing you at melee range.

[11:15] > [11:16]
[11:16] > [11:16]
[11:16] >
[11:16] > [11:17]
[11:17] > [11:17] [learn_down]: look
[11:17] [The Golden Sunrise, Hold]
[11:17] Large chests and crates of supplies are covered with sturdy netting. A long table on one end offers a place to separate supplies as well as to take a quick break from the work above.
[11:17] You also see a sturdy chair crafted from pieces of oak and a white towel embellished with a crest.
[11:17] Also here: Seabrin.
[11:17] Ship paths: up.

[11:17] > [11:17]
* Seabrin slaps his hand at you. You block solidly with a dented audrualm shield embossed with Kertigen's raven.
[11:17] [You're solidly balanced with no advantage.]

[11:17] >
Circle: 59
Showing Armor skills that you have skill in.

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate Fraction
Shield Usage: 113 99% clear (0/34) Light Armor: 151 03% clear (0/34)
Chain Armor: 30 22% clear (0/34) Brigandine: 30 90% clear (0/34)
Plate Armor: 57 12% clear (0/34) Defending: 143 02% clear (0/34)
Strength : 34 Reflex : 32
Agility : 32 Charisma : 37
Discipline : 37 Wisdom : 35
Intelligence : 38 Stamina : 33

Concentration : 201 Max : 201

______
Re: Berserk Earthquake 09/23/2013 10:19 AM CDT
[11:18] > [11:18]
Seabrin closes to pole weapon range on you!
Seabrin slaps you across the face!

Seabrin closes to melee range on you!
You dash forward in an attempt to strike Seabrin!
[11:18] The flat of your hand crashes into Seabrin's side and unleashes a very unbalancing blow!
[11:18] [You're solidly balanced and in better position.]
[11:18] >

<blush> he was in my group.. When he is not, Magdar attacked him.

______
Re: Berserk Earthquake 09/23/2013 03:26 PM CDT
Kodius,

When you have a moment available could you double check the contest is working properly on players? A quick playing with it found a 153rd Barbarian unable to land an unbalancing strike against a 50th character with ~200s in defences. Only landed unbalancing strikes and the very rare stun once the 50th stanced down to 5% stances.

Samsaren
Re: Berserk Earthquake 09/23/2013 08:56 PM CDT
You guys keep posting like Barbarians are a combat guild or something.

P.S.
When are we going to stop sucking?
Re: Berserk Earthquake 09/24/2013 12:48 PM CDT
Is the pulse frequency of Earthquake tied to anything? It seems a bit slow; I'm curious if it'll increase as IF and Aug increases?
Re: Berserk Earthquake 09/24/2013 04:16 PM CDT

Tested this again today, While at melee with one person. Ran through 2 full berserk lengths and i noticed a few pulses but it did not challenge my target once.
Re: Berserk Earthquake 09/24/2013 09:41 PM CDT
Keep in mind, it won't show a message if you don't succeed on something.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Berserk Earthquake 09/24/2013 11:42 PM CDT
Is the check against Debilitation, or the held weapon?

Also, I find the image of whacking critters with my bow pretty hilarious.
Re: Berserk Earthquake 09/25/2013 03:37 AM CDT
>Is the check against Debilitation, or the held weapon?

Debilitation.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Berserk Earthquake 09/25/2013 09:16 AM CDT

>>Is the check against Debilitation, or the held weapon?

>Debilitation.

Actually Kodius said that skill in debilitation increases the % chance for it to happen. But it is a TO HIT check followed by a SvS check. But yes Caraamon a 153 barbarian vs a circle 40 necromancer and it didnt happen once in 3 full length berserks... Standing at melee the whole time.
Re: Berserk Earthquake 09/25/2013 06:54 PM CDT
I just tested a 130 Barb vs a 50th necro, and everything is working perfectly. Hurgh... what weapon were you using?

I'll tweak the numbers for ranged weapons a bit, but am otherwise fine with you smacking things with your bow. Bows will someday take damage and it'll be a bit more balanced in that regards.

Re: Berserk Earthquake 09/25/2013 07:52 PM CDT
I just want to point out that this is intended to be an AE ability, and isn't well-suited for 1 on 1 fights.

Your IF skill determines the % chance an engaged target gets attacked. This caps at attempting to affect a target about half the time. The berserk pulses every 10-30 seconds or so, adding some randomness to it. This slower pulsing also means it will use less IF... an added benefit considering it isn't a passive buff.

Sometimes it'll just devastate your enemies and land something every 10 seconds. Other times it could take a while. This is why it works best when engaged with multiples, so the randomness evens out and provides a more consistent effect.

Earthquake offers a nice backup to your roars and a good way to train Debilitation since those "wear out" if used to much. Stunning is a heck of a nice debuff, so it only occurs about 1/5th the time. The highest level of success, adding roundtime, is only possible if you are close to capping the ability.

I just tested on multiple characters with 950 weapon skill vs 900s in defenses. >90% chance of landing the to-hit.

Also tested on a dude with 80's in all stats vs a Barb with :

Strength : 82 Reflex : 100
Agility : 100 Charisma : 60
Discipline : 100 Wisdom : 76
Intelligence : 52 Stamina : 100

And he consistently landed the SvS portion of the debuff effect. Some of you may be running into problems with stat assignment for this particular type of SvS contest, but obviously not from a 100 circle difference....

Please keep testing and giving me feedback. I'll do what I can to improve it and make it better.

Prev_page Previous 1