Re: Tsunami Again 02/08/2013 04:35 PM CST
>>Agreed, but Barbs should get an inherent (and usable) bonus for being weapon primary, sort of like how Paladins get lower hindrance in Plate just for being Armor primes, or how Survival primes get lower stealth hindrance and (2/3rds of them) get a large bonus to skills just from skillset placement(do they even respect caps?), or how Lore primes get 2 careers and however many extra hobbies just by being Lore primes. Weapons should also reap some kind of inherent (usable) benefit not counting planned Expertise since other guilds also get a skill-set specific skill. Right now 2 people with the same amount of weapon perform identically regardless of skill-set placement, and this can only be said about weapon prime which is pure garbage IMO.<<

My favorite post this week. +1. Fourthed or whatever.

"If swords ever cross, the Barbarian shall be the one left standing." - Guild Leader Agonar
Re: Tsunami Again 02/08/2013 05:06 PM CST
>>I would like to see a bonus akin to the 2 second RT (or is it 1?) for stealth actions, Survival Primes have. Lower minimum RT for weapons achieved at X ranks and Y Physical Stats, for Weapon Prime.

They just raised minimum RTs for many weapon classes to actually give a benefit to lighter, quicker weapons. I think lowering them again is a bad idea, regardless of circumstance, unless you want everyone to be a cookie-cutter barbarian that uses the same three weapons again. There's no point in using a scimitar when you can use a broadsword with the same roundtime.

I would like to see more clearly-defined benefits for weapons primary, but I'm personally more interested in inner fire feats and expertise first, not to mention the return of dual load and the un-wussification of whirlwind.
Re: Tsunami Again 02/08/2013 07:08 PM CST
I also believe things like armor hindrances based off armor skill set will go away when armor feats come out. Same with things like dual loading and the such.
Re: Tsunami Again 02/08/2013 07:16 PM CST
+3 even. Great concept.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Forging Grand Master of M'Riss
Re: Tsunami Again 02/08/2013 09:09 PM CST
Agreed. If we don't end up with the best weapon boosters, I'm going to be ticked.

It's as bad as when Warmies had YS.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Tsunami Again 02/08/2013 10:22 PM CST
<<Agreed. If we don't end up with the best weapon boosters, I'm going to be ticked.>>

just gotta keep on keepin' on. I feel this.

- Buuwl
Re: Tsunami Again 02/09/2013 06:58 AM CST
+8

Tsunami should just be free inherent to the guild. Paladins get the hinderance bonus I think because they are armor prime and considered to be able to maneuver better in armor. They are able to use the equipment better. That's great and all but Barbs should be able to use their weapons better, this could come down to a weapon in a barbs hand would have greater balance and suite.

Then turn Tsunami into a damage stat booster.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Tsunami Again 02/09/2013 09:35 AM CST
<<>>Agreed, but Barbs should get an inherent (and usable) bonus for being weapon primary, sort of like how Paladins get lower hindrance in Plate just for being Armor primes, or how Survival primes get lower stealth hindrance and (2/3rds of them) get a large bonus to skills just from skillset placement(do they even respect caps?), or how Lore primes get 2 careers and however many extra hobbies just by being Lore primes. Weapons should also reap some kind of inherent (usable) benefit not counting planned Expertise since other guilds also get a skill-set specific skill.>>

Very good points, and I agree. I don't think the bonus would be helpful as a basic damage or balance/suited boost because most people are already hitting the damage caps anyway--you wouldn't notice any real difference most of the time. I think a cooler angle would be special barb moves tied to expertise (or not) that had damage multipliers, i.e. backstab. There would have to be some kind of drawback or limiting factor to prevent them from being insane (backstab has perc check, melee only, LE/ME certain weight blades only etc), but it seems like that would be a really cool angle for barb-only stuff. Am I imagining things or was Kodius planning things like that?
Re: Tsunami Again 02/09/2013 01:34 PM CST
A balance/suited boost is pretty much useless unfortunately. I tried Tsunami and didn't notice any actual difference in damage. I'd be much happier with a +1 stat level on weapons or a flat damage level boost that allows to hit harder without a buff, something along those lines.

Your body tightens as you draw your arms together in a sinuous, flowing motion, mimicking the form you were trained to adopt for this roar of warning.
Kodius fled to the west in terror!
Roundtime: 2 sec.
Re: Tsunami Again 02/09/2013 01:43 PM CST
>> I'd be much happier with a +1 stat level on weapons or a flat damage level boost that allows to hit harder without a buff, something along those lines.

Assuming I understand your request, we already have that in Wildfire.
Re: Tsunami Again 02/09/2013 03:18 PM CST
I said passive. As Gorteous already pointed out every guild gets something for having a primary skill set that's passive. We don't.

As far as berserks, I've stopped using them all together because they just tear through my IF pool.

Your body tightens as you draw your arms together in a sinuous, flowing motion, mimicking the form you were trained to adopt for this roar of warning.
Re: Tsunami Again 02/09/2013 03:25 PM CST
>>As far as berserks, I've stopped using them all together because they just tear through my IF pool.

I regularly use Avalanche, Famine, Wildfire and Tornado, and I pop Flashflood whenever I get stunned. Once you have several forms running and are in combat, what else are you going to spend your IF on?
Re: Tsunami Again 02/09/2013 06:26 PM CST
>>I regularly use Avalanche, Famine, Wildfire and Tornado, and I pop Flashflood whenever I get stunned. Once you have several forms running and are in combat, what else are you going to spend your IF on?

I am going to take a shot at this one. He does not kill his critters that are at-level nearly as fast as you kill yours. This is not at all a slam on you or anyone else. He and I hunt critters that die so slowly, we can barely get our IF to the adjusted (due to forms) passive IF regen bar. I don't even use berserks because of that. If I hunt gryphons, with 1 or 2 forms (swan and or bear), it takes over 40 minutes to get to full, and that is with non-stop killing as fast as I can. The thing that is tough currently on the high end is these critters are allegedly below our skill level in weapons, deadly without buffs, and can take a hell of a beating before going down, resulting in slow IF refill. The only way I can "go to town" is to keep throwing LT, but that is not normal hunting, and doesn't fill IF all that fast. With a normal routine/rotation, it's a struggle.

"If swords ever cross, the Barbarian shall be the one left standing." - Guild Leader Agonar
Re: Tsunami Again 02/09/2013 06:35 PM CST
I am not sure why anyone would use berserks in regular hunting right now. If you are having fun trying to kill some critters that are over your head, then yeah, but not for training (trying to gain skills in this case). It isn't like the old system where you could berserk and hunt for extended periods of time in areas that you simply would not be able to without the berserks. The creatures go down too slow, or the IF gain per kill doesn't scale to relative danger well enough, for that to work in my experience so far.
Re: Tsunami Again 02/09/2013 07:24 PM CST
>>I am going to take a shot at this one. He does not kill his critters that are at-level nearly as fast as you kill yours. This is not at all a slam on you or anyone else. He and I hunt critters that die so slowly, we can barely get our IF to the adjusted (due to forms) passive IF regen bar. I don't even use berserks because of that. If I hunt gryphons, with 1 or 2 forms (swan and or bear), it takes over 40 minutes to get to full, and that is with non-stop killing as fast as I can. The thing that is tough currently on the high end is these critters are allegedly below our skill level in weapons, deadly without buffs, and can take a hell of a beating before going down, resulting in slow IF refill. The only way I can "go to town" is to keep throwing LT, but that is not normal hunting, and doesn't fill IF all that fast. With a normal routine/rotation, it's a struggle.

Ah yes, I can definitely see the problem there. Well, I rarely manage to get my IF over my passive bar either, but I still regularly berserk with little issue. Avalanche berserk, for example, takes a paltry five bars of IF: even when I am using three forms (all intro/basic) I can manage to spend this rather easily, and this is with significantly less IF skill.

Example:

You are currently practicing the Swan Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
You are currently practicing the Piranha Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
You are currently practicing the Buffalo Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
IF: 15/81 (counted manually since the forums have issue with copy/pasting the IF bar)

You are currently practicing the Swan Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
You are currently practicing the Piranha Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
You are currently practicing the Buffalo Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
You are completely consumed with the Avalanche Berserk.
IF: 10/81

>>I am not sure why anyone would use berserks in regular hunting right now.

Avalanche berserk is pretty baller man. If you get tired of using FEINT twice for every slice or draw or bash (or whatever the high-fatigue, high-damage maneuver you use is), just put up Avalanche and you'll be able to use high damage moves twice as often. I think Avalanche contributes more to DPS because of fatigue regen than Tsunami or Wildfire do with bonuses to weapon stats and damage.
Re: Tsunami Again 02/09/2013 07:55 PM CST
Avalanche is a good berserk I agree, but when you are just trying to gain skill why use the high damage/fatigue maneuvers? Why risk standing there waiting for a new spawn when you can minimize the chance that you will be standing there critter-less at all? There is not any real reward for killing fast or making really hard hits right now except for the wealth and skinning experience, as far as I can tell.
Re: Tsunami Again 02/09/2013 08:04 PM CST
Where I hunt, I keep three forms and a zerc up the whole time, not sure this adds anything to the discussion.

- Buuwl
Re: Tsunami Again 02/09/2013 08:04 PM CST
>Avalanche is a good berserk I agree, but when you are just trying to gain skill why use the high damage/fatigue maneuvers? Why risk standing there waiting for a new spawn when you can minimize the chance that you will be standing there critter-less at all? There is not any real reward for killing fast or making really hard hits right now except for the wealth and skinning experience, as far as I can tell.

Where are you hunting that spawn is so low? Even when I'm raging hard I can usually only kill a critter in 20-25 seconds. More realistically, since I am also training tactics, appraisal, perception via HUNT, and stealth, I'm probably killing ever 40+ seconds, on average. You don't need four critters at melee constantly to learn defenses effectively anymore, so there's no reason not to kill a bit quicker, assuming steady spawn (which is a safe assumption for most hunting grounds).

You can only use five forms at a time and meditations can't be used in combat, so berserks are really the only game in town. You don't get extra credit or a gold star for having full IF; if you can afford a buff without risking dropping your other buffs, you may as well use it, since it's literally use it or waste your passive IF regen.
Re: Tsunami Again 02/09/2013 08:20 PM CST
Hunting celps on Ratha, the spawn isn't too good. Raiders obviously the spawn is pretty weak. Sky giants slightly out of range for effective hunting in 3.0. No safe assumption of steady spawn in those areas. It probably depends on your strength too, I trained it up pretty high to compensate for weaker berserks and maybe kill fast, nothing to compare it to so hard to tell.

A lot of my training style is probably a result of a desire to avoid M'riss, admittedly.
Re: Tsunami Again 02/09/2013 08:43 PM CST
>>Hunting celps on Ratha, the spawn isn't too good. Raiders obviously the spawn is pretty weak. Sky giants slightly out of range for effective hunting in 3.0. No safe assumption of steady spawn in those areas. It probably depends on your strength too, I trained it up pretty high to compensate for weaker berserks and maybe kill fast, nothing to compare it to so hard to tell.

I hunted celps on Ratha fine for a while after 3.0 came out. With no other hunters the spawn can be slow, but once you sit and let your defenses get to about 10/34 you can usually kill fast and rely on a couple engaged to you at most times.
Re: Tsunami Again 02/09/2013 10:17 PM CST
>>Ah yes, I can definitely see the problem there. Well, I rarely manage to get my IF over my passive bar either, but I still regularly berserk with little issue. Avalanche berserk, for example, takes a paltry five bars of IF: even when I am using three forms (all intro/basic) I can manage to spend this rather easily, and this is with significantly less IF skill.<<

I don't have an issue with fatigue. I don't get my bar anywhere near my passive bar. My IF never gets above half of my passive bar. I've spent hours killing and then had forms drop in under 30 seconds after starting them up. I have no use for Buffalo or Swan when hunting, same with Avalanche. To hunt safely at my level I need Python if I'm training parry, Piranha, Monkey and then if I use an offensive buff. Couple in the fact that intercessors being the only thing that teaches me at all and then not dying fast at all means my regen doesn't compensate.

Re: Tsunami Again 02/09/2013 11:04 PM CST
For Gort, Contemplation is always active(it's on a 25 minute timer), Piranha and Swan as well(the only reason I keep Swan up is for Warding) and Dragon/Eagle depending on what's being trained(don't use either for primary/secondary weapon). Tornado is set up to be on all the time in Intercessors, but it's got to the point that it was just too unreliable and far too costly to keep up, so I set up a conditional branch my script that if it can't berserk, it goes through 100 combat rounds before trying again.

Funny thing about that is, Tornado never starts successfuly in my script now with just Contemplation/Piranha/Swan/Dragon or Eagle active, and I'm tempted to just stop zerking entirely since it's a waste of fire. Zerks just don't mesh well with other abilities, are still far too costly and short duration to be using regularly, combined with that their utility value is very low(Volcano makes you into an un-killable punching bag IMO), excluding Flashflood, and I'd rather stop using them at all.

Also, there's a bug with zerks where if you don't meet the cost to start them, not only does the ability fail to start but it also drains the rest of your remaining Inner Fire, which is a total slap in the face when you're mid PvP and go to activate a zerk and fail, then 2 seconds later all your forms/zerks drop. I think Vinjince posted about it once already but I can't stress enough how detrimental to our class this is.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Tsunami Again 02/09/2013 11:22 PM CST
>>I don't have an issue with fatigue.

Do you use slice or draw infinitely and still have no issue with fatigue?

>>I don't get my bar anywhere near my passive bar. My IF never gets above half of my passive bar. I've spent hours killing and then had forms drop in under 30 seconds after starting them up. I have no use for Buffalo or Swan when hunting, same with Avalanche.

"I don't need it" and "I can't use it without my other stuff dropping" are two entirely different statements. I was mostly addressing the latter. Though really, what do we need beyond a couple defensive forms?

>>To hunt safely at my level I need Python if I'm training parry, Piranha, Monkey and then if I use an offensive buff. Couple in the fact that intercessors being the only thing that teaches me at all and then not dying fast at all means my regen doesn't compensate.

You just named four basic/intro forms. I can keep those four going myself at ~400 IF outside of combat. Even assuming an extremely slow kill rate, I am having trouble imagining how you would not have enough IF left for the occasional Wildfire assuming there's any sort of reasonable scaling for berserk cost with IF ranks (which there might not be, I have no data points).

>>Zerks just don't mesh well with other abilities, are still far too costly and short duration to be using regularly, combined with that their utility value is very low(Volcano makes you into an un-killable punching bag IMO), excluding Flashflood, and I'd rather stop using them at all.

I really do think berserk duration could be improved, that would do a lot for their practical utility IMO. Their costs were lowered by 30% and I still feel like sometimes I'm not getting enough bang for my buck.

I'm not arguing that they couldn't be improved by any means, but since they occupy a niche that nothing else does (inner fire expenditure in combat), I definitely find use for them.
Re: Tsunami Again 02/09/2013 11:48 PM CST
>>I think Vinjince posted about it once already but I can't stress enough how detrimental to our class this is.

He may have posted about it, but I have before as well. I don't think it was restricted to berserks though, anything that failed to start took IF. I want to say I posted about meditations doing it.

>>DIMINISHEDANGEL

You should really post who you are IG, or at bare minimum what you are hunting and your combat level, otherwise your posts are falling on def ears. No one really cares that everything is peachy in your experience when you supply no details. Not trying to be harsh or anything because obviously you are knowledgeable and that doesn't go unnoticed, but you know who all of us are, what we hunt and our skill levels, and then you post disaproval on many ideas. please provide your skill level. Circle is the best way to start because we can tell what you were grandfathered to. We already proved that your IF ranks count for 150% times most other barbs at higher ranks than you, I just want to see what else is bugged on your character.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Tsunami Again 02/09/2013 11:49 PM CST
>>Do you use slice or draw infinitely and still have no issue with fatigue?<<

Why would I slice or draw infinitely? With my rotation, I never drop below 95% fatigue.

>>You just named four basic/intro forms. I can keep those four going myself at ~400 IF outside of combat. Even assuming an extremely slow kill rate, I am having trouble imagining how you would not have enough IF left for the occasional Wildfire assuming there's any sort of reasonable scaling for berserk cost with IF ranks (which there might not be, I have no data points).<<

I wouldn't be using Wildfire, I'd be using Tornado for the shield and stamina bonus. With the three or four forms and a berserk, I'm out of IF after a while.

Ultimately my choice is to keep all my forms up and survive or throw up a berserk and have my IF never get to the passive regen cap. I've quite literally had my forms and berserks last 30 seconds after hours of hunting.

Re: Tsunami Again 02/10/2013 12:33 AM CST
>>You should really post who you are IG, or at bare minimum what you are hunting and your combat level, otherwise your posts are falling on def ears. No one really cares that everything is peachy in your experience when you supply no details. Not trying to be harsh or anything because obviously you are knowledgeable and that doesn't go unnoticed, but you know who all of us are, what we hunt and our skill levels, and then you post disaproval on many ideas. please provide your skill level. Circle is the best way to start because we can tell what you were grandfathered to. We already proved that your IF ranks count for 150% times most other barbs at higher ranks than you, I just want to see what else is bugged on your character.

I'm Malkien (I thought this was general forum knowledge, not trying to hide it), I've posted my ranks numerous times before, but here they are as per your request.

Inner Fire: 415 71% enthralled (32/34) Augmentation: 241 04% nearly locked (33/34)
Debilitation: 310 17% very engaged (23/34) Warding: 241 03% enthralled (32/34)

Here's a snapshot of my current meditate power:

You are currently practicing the Eagle Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
You are currently practicing the Dragon Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
IF: 11/81 (using these four forms lowers my passive regen to 11 bars, so I'm max outside of combat right now)

I can keep three basic/intro forms running outside of combat infinitely, and still have enough IF for an intro or basic berserk. Using these four forms, my IF slowly drains outside of combat, so I would be unable to berserk out of combat (I am using the out-of-combat comparison to try and simulate intercessors, since I have no idea what their kill rate is like).

I normally run around with three forms active at all times instead of four, which sets my passive regen to 15/81, but I am using four right now trying to experiment and see if I can recommend something to more HLCs hunting intercessors. I always try to keep 5+ bars of inner fire active at any time so my forms don't drop, so at this skill level I wouldn't use any berserk outside of Avalanche with four forms running. But I normally only use three anyways, which allows me to berserk quite frequently.

>>I wouldn't be using Wildfire, I'd be using Tornado for the shield and stamina bonus. With the three or four forms and a berserk, I'm out of IF after a while.

Tornado and Wildfire are both basic berserks, so I think they'd cost the same. You know that forms not only lower passive regen cap but also regen rate, yes? If you're running around with 4+ forms, that might be why you never get above a certain level of IF. Have you tried dropping Monkey?

If you're happiest using no berserks, that is a perfectly legitimate hunting method, and I am by no means saying you're doing it "incorrectly" or some such. I am merely communicating that berserks are perfectly feasible to use on a regular basis depending on your other IF spending habits.

Side note: if anyone feels like testing, I'd love it if people would post their skills levels and some data. I think we need to investigate how inner fire skill scales, I am getting the impression it doesn't scale much, but no one can make any conclusions based on

Stuff that would be useful:
Your ranks
Form "cost" (how many bars a single form lowers your passive IF cap): all levels - Intro, Basic, Advanced, Expert
Berserk cost (how many bars it costs to activate specifically): all levels - Intro, Basic, Advanced, Expert
Meditation cost (same as berserks)
Re: Tsunami Again 02/10/2013 12:38 AM CST
>>If you're happiest using no berserks, that is a perfectly legitimate hunting method, and I am by no means saying you're doing it "incorrectly" or some such. I am merely communicating that berserks are perfectly feasible to use on a regular basis depending on your other IF spending habits.

Double post, I wanted to add to this statement. Berserks are perfectly feasible to use on a regular basis, for me, assuming a decent kill rate, and I could say that this would hold true for any hunting ground I've hunted in before. Intercessors might be the exception to this rule, but then they often are an exception to general combat trends, so that wouldn't surprise me too much.
Re: Tsunami Again 02/10/2013 12:53 AM CST
I was just about to ask you to provide some data, DA. Here's mine:

Starting with 1/3rd IF and no abilities up, I just put up Piranha, Monkey, Python, and Dragon and they lasted 14 minutes before dropping.

It used 13 bars of IF.

This is all with 600 ranks of IF. I'm not sure how you're putting up and maintaining these abilities out of combat like it's nothing, so maybe IF isn't scaling all that well considering we're all within 400-500 ranks of each other? I absolutely refuse to throw up 4 forms in PvP because of the fact that I'll most likely be using a meditation or two, and as you can see 4 forms will end up depleting my IF anyway. I wouldn't dare add a berserk to it. I will throw up 3 forms if I feel I absolutely have to, but my general rule is to try to keep it to 2 forms or less. I want to be able to emergency throw up Flashflood or Volcano without being too low on IF.

I know this is all off topic, but Barbarians have a fundamental issue with how IF works that 1500 ranks of IF won't solve. It's that other nearly unusable 67%. Like I said, I timed it out of combat with no abilities up from full IF and it lasted only 20 minutes before hitting 1/3 again. That's just... we can't reliably use it. It's just there.

I'd suggest putting us at 1/2 IF or giving us Bat form to increase the IF cap, or make it so that any IF gained from killing doesn't have any drainage. I know Kodius is working on a couple things so I'll completely re-evaluate our IF situation once he releases that stuff, so it's no biggie right now. :)

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Tsunami Again 02/10/2013 12:56 AM CST
>>1. Starting with 1/3rd IF and no abilities up, I just put up Piranha, Monkey, Python, and Dragon and they lasted 14 minutes before dropping.

As noted, I normally only run with three forms (Swan/Piranha and then usually Dragon or Eagle or Buffalo depending on what I'm doing), and when I was using those four it was draining my inner fire. I can calculate the time till collapse precisely if you want, but I estimate after about five or six minutes I was down to 6/81, which would seem consistent with your experience since my forms would have dropped shortly thereafter, quicker than yours did.

In other words, I probably shouldn't berserk outside of combat while using four forms, at my skill level. I will test again later in combat with no kills, and then with kills. Using only three forms, however, I can very easily handle an intro or basic berserk in combat, and I personally prefer to use 3 forms instead of four so I leave myself the option of berserking when I choose.

>> It's that other nearly unusable 67%. Like I said, I timed it out of combat with no abilities up from full IF and it lasted only 20 minutes before hitting 1/3 again. That's just... we can't reliably use it. It's just there.

That does annoy me a bit. I have basically started to think of my passive IF cap as "100% inner fire" and just adjusted my buff routine around that.
Re: Tsunami Again 02/10/2013 12:59 AM CST
First off, thanks.

>>
You are currently practicing the Eagle Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
You are currently practicing the Dragon Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
IF: 11/81 (using these four forms lowers my passive regen to 11 bars, so I'm max outside of combat right now)

This is so funny because I run the exact same thing, except I add Tornado berserk. I start eagle first because I do ranged first, then after ranged locks I add dragon (a couple minutes), on my next melee weapon. Here I just did a med power:

You are currently practicing the Piranha Form and will hold focus of it for some time.
You are currently practicing the Swan Form and can only hold focus of it for a little longer.
You are deeply enraged with the Tornado Berserk.
>>>>>
|

With me killing normally I cannot keep this full steam, although it is most of the time, maybe it's the berserk? I know for a fact I can keep all of the forms going and probably another form going without the berserk.

Here are the ranks:

Inner Fire: 674 11% mind lock (34/34) Augmentation: 547 16% mind lock (34/34)
Debilitation: 417 00% pondering (7/34) Warding: 371 47% nearly locked (33/34)

I dunno, I think perhaps berserks cost too much.

>>Tornado and Wildfire are both basic berserks, so I think they'd cost the same.

I am almost positive wildfire costs more, I switched it out because I could never keep it going.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Tsunami Again 02/10/2013 01:08 AM CST
Let me add that I don't find much of a use for intro berserks either. Not to say they aren't necessary (the game doesn't revolve around my character), but the berserks I will use will drain IF more than the basic ones. I don't need Avalanche, but I did choose it primarily for a pre-eq and in case someone used fatigue-draining spells on me.

>berserk list
From the path of the Horde you know the Berserks: Avalanche, Wildfire and Volcano.
From the path of the Flame you know the Berserks: Famine and Cyclone.
From the path of the Predator you know the Berserks: Tornado and Flashflood.

Here's my pvp tactics in case anyone was curious. I like Cyclone, Tornado, and Flashflood (wildfire just isn't worth it). These are all very costly and I don't feel comfortable using them unless I'm 100% certain it won't deplete my IF. That's just how I am; not gonna be PvP'ing and running out of IF like some idiot. You can bet your backside that I will have up either Tenacity or Contemplation if not both although the former is a bit more important IMO, so my forms will have to suffer especially if I'm using Turtle. I will most likely be using Eagle as well, so Turtle + Eagle will be my form setup depending on who I'm facing, which leaves room for Tenacity and an emergency Flashflood or Volcano.

I think that's fair, I just think the other 67% could be utilized better.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Tsunami Again 02/10/2013 01:20 AM CST
>> I will test again later in combat with no kills, and then with kills. Using only three forms, however, I can very easily handle an intro or basic berserk in combat, and I personally prefer to use 3 forms instead of four so I leave myself the option of berserking when I choose.

That makes sense. I think 3 forms and a berserk would be easily maintenance for me, as long as I'm not using the advanced stuff.

>>I have basically started to think of my passive IF cap as "100% inner fire" and just adjusted my buff routine around that.

Yeah, this is where I'm at too. I view it as 100% now.

As I've said before, this is what I love about this system. Everyone has different setups and routines. It's as far from cookie cutter as you can get. I know the new system is still fresh but I think it's gonna keep me invigorated for a long time. Lots of fun.

-GM Abasha
Re: Tsunami Again 02/10/2013 06:07 AM CST
>>With me killing normally I cannot keep this full steam, although it is most of the time, maybe it's the berserk? I know for a fact I can keep all of the forms going and probably another form going without the berserk.

I still think this merits further testing and will provide some extensive numbers later today. But I think I had one fundamental assumption about inner fire ranks that may be proving to be false: that someone with ~200-250 more inner fire ranks than me could use these abilities better than I can.

It's quite possible that I have reached the "cap" for inner fire costs and they will go no lower, which would be a bit disappointing if true, since it would mean that having 1000+ inner fire ranks wouldn't change our results any.

>>As I've said before, this is what I love about this system. Everyone has different setups and routines. It's as far from cookie cutter as you can get. I know the new system is still fresh but I think it's gonna keep me invigorated for a long time. Lots of fun.

I agree, I like this system much more than the 2.0 system, and find it very fun to use. I hope if Kodius is watching this thread he keeps that in mind, because I may be posting a thread later today with my various problems with the current system, and I do not in any way intend for these discussions to be a whine-fest. Love the new system overall.
Re: Tsunami Again 02/10/2013 07:33 AM CST
>>I can keep three basic/intro forms running outside of combat infinitely

When you say this, you are sugggesting they drop, but then you can put them all back up right away, correct? If you literally mean infinitely, something seems wrong, because just a couple forms outside of combat (swan and bear) will eventually drop for me--albeit a long time, and I am nearing 900 IF. Malkien, will you IM me before posting your thoughts? I was thinking something similar. Squantodr.

Re: Tsunami Again 02/10/2013 08:16 AM CST
>>When you say this, you are sugggesting they drop, but then you can put them all back up right away, correct? If you literally mean infinitely, something seems wrong, because just a couple forms outside of combat (swan and bear) will eventually drop for me--albeit a long time, and I am nearing 900 IF. Malkien, will you IM me before posting your thoughts? I was thinking something similar. Squantodr.

Yes, I mean when they drop I can put them up again instantly.
Re: Tsunami Again 02/10/2013 09:55 AM CST
It doesn't really bother me all that much if berserks aren't that useful in normal everyday hunting(when you are not up-hunting). If they are powerful and useful enough in at level confrontations, up hunting, to get yourself out of a bad situation when in everyday hunting, or boss fights that would be good with me, as long as all the lore skills are still learnable.
Berserks and IF 02/10/2013 12:38 PM CST
I changed the title since we're not really talking about Tsunami anymore.

>>Tornado and Wildfire are both basic berserks, so I think they'd cost the same. You know that forms not only lower passive regen cap but also regen rate, yes? If you're running around with 4+ forms, that might be why you never get above a certain level of IF. Have you tried dropping Monkey?<<

This is going to sound like me being a jerk, but I truly don't intend it to be. I have the same regen rate that you have, just a higher cap. Intercessors have ridiculous armor and use all three defenses so they don't die fast. That lowers the active regen time because they don't just die. It takes 40-70 seconds to kill a single one. That means I get at least one and sometimes two pulses of my forms and berserks checking before it dies.

This is over the course of 5 minutes and is out of combat. I started this at 1:24 pm at my passive regen cap:

You are currently practicing the Monkey Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
You are completely consumed with the Tornado Berserk.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>|>>>>

You feel a jolt as your vision snaps shut.

At 1:33 pm:

You lose control, and the furious maelstrom empowering your limbs dissipates!

You are currently practicing the Monkey Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
>>>>
|

I checked 30 seconds later:

>>>>>>>
|

Without the berserk, my IF was regenerating on it's own back to the passive cap. Berserks tear up IF. This was all done out of combat to not affect rates based on killing. This is why I don't use berserks. They drop fast and wreck IF usage.
Re: Berserks and IF 02/10/2013 12:49 PM CST
Pendus -

Intercessor kill rate seems to be the common factor among everyone saying that berserks are too costly for them, so that's probably the issue. If you step down to assassins or dillos and back-train weapons you will probably find that you can use them quite fine if inner fire is managed well.

Also, there seems to be some inconsistency with berserk costs, which might explain some of the confusion that was in this thread. I've submitted a bug report.
Re: Berserks and IF 02/10/2013 01:27 PM CST
>>If you step down to assassins or dillos and back-train weapons you will probably find that you can use them quite fine if inner fire is managed well.

Not nitpicking on you, Malkien, but if you have to backtrain to utilize a zerk, doesn't that go against the typical use of a zerk? I know at this point we see the issue may very well be slow kill-rate of intercessors and high-level scaling issues, but you should never have to go down the critter ladder to get the most out of a berserk, IMO. I get your gist though; you're saying to see it last long enough, kill small things to build up your IF pool.

Re: Berserks and IF 02/10/2013 01:51 PM CST
>>Intercessor kill rate seems to be the common factor among everyone saying that berserks are too costly for them, so that's probably the issue. If you step down to assassins or dillos and back-train weapons you will probably find that you can use them quite fine if inner fire is managed well.<<

No, that solution is pretty damn unacceptable and flat out stupid. When an MU has to step down to refill their mana above 1/3rd just to use their abilities to their fullest I'll go with it, but they don't. They regen passively to 100%. I'm not going to back train weaponry for an hour just to get to use my abilities.

What I posted was without killing. The IF usage on the berserk was more than 3 forms combined. With the berserk going, my IF tanked. Without it and three forms my IF was on it's way back to the passive cap.